My doctor told me my child was dehydrated because her breath smelled 'fruity'...thoughts?

My doctor told me today that my child is dehydrated because their breath “smells fruity”…has anyone heard this before? Her breath has always been like this so I am so confused on where this came from and have never heard it

19 Likes

Does she drink a lot. Like always thirsty, lethargic at times. Has headaches and craves sweet stuff. If yes test her for diabetes.

16 Likes

Please have her tested for diabetes, common sign when blood sugar is high

9 Likes

Have blood sugar checked immediately.

13 Likes

If your little is dx with T1D, please look into the Juicebox Podcast: Type 1 Diabetes
It’s been the biggest resource since our DD was dx 2 years ago at age 2.
:blue_heart:

6 Likes

That could possibly be type 1 diabetes. I would get a second opinion.

3 Likes

My son is diabetic and that is a sure sign of diabetes.

1 Like

I agree please get her tested for diabetes before you do anything else. I’m type 1 and that is a sign

1 Like

if her breath smells fruity/sweet they need to be testing for diabetes…

21 Likes

Diabetic children’s breath smells fruity when they have high sugars please get her tested

Yikes. This could be DKA. She should be evaluated for diabetes—CBG; A1C

Fruity breath, especially like the juicy fruit gum means get tested for diabetes asap

1 Like

Check blood sugar right away!!!

Hopefully he did blood work? Do some research on type one diabetes.

Has she been checked for Diabetes

1 Like

My thoughts are you should’ve asked THE DOCTOR more questions

1 Like

That sounds like diabetes. Not dehydration.

3 Likes

I’m so happy to see the amount of people with knowledge of diabetes. Don’t think just cuz she’s young, it can’t happen. That’s what I thought and it almost took my sons life. His pediatrician saved his life due to his fruity breath. Definitely ask for a second opinion and fast.

20 Likes

Fruity breath usually means diabetes. Please have her tested for diabetes

16 Likes

I always thought this was a sign of diabetes??? I would get a second opinion.

Fruity breath is a sign of high ketones which is usually associated with high blood sugar.
It’s entirely possible to have higher ketone levels due to {severe} dehydration and if this was a once off with other symptoms of dehydration I might agree.
However…If your child’s breath always smells fruity then it’s time to get a second opinion and get her glucose levels checked.
Your child’s doctor should know all of this.

2 Likes

Umm Fruity Breath usually means Diabetes… please get her tested from a T1D mom here who had NO idea and the drs were telling me it was “normal” and all that was wrong with her was that she had bronchitis and food poisoning… this was over 13years ago!! My daughter is now 15 and has been Type 1 diabetes since 15months old!!

1 Like

Fruity breath is usually a sign of very high blood sugar. Get that checked right away

1 Like

Fruity breath is a sign of diabetes- and find a new pediatrician

1 Like

Usually when a babies breath smells fruity or anyone’s for that matter, it’s diabetes related

That’s a sign of diabetes please take your child to the hospital before it gets worse.

Has she had a HgA1c lab done. A fruity breath is usually a sign of diabetes.

Fruity breath is a huge finding when it comes to diabetes!

If the doctor told you that then he should know to test and rule out Diabetes… It seems weird to me he would tell you that and just leave it at that??

Fruity breath is normally a sign of diabetes… please have blood work done

This is usually a sign of diabetes please have her tested for this.

That is a sign of diabetes… 2 shots a day here … please get A1C checked !

That’s more of a sign of Diabetes. Please demand a 2nd opinion and testing!!!

Why wouldn’t the Dr. recommend testing her for diabetes?

Fruity breath equals Diabetes