My dog has become aggressive towards me and my daughter: Advice?

We got a puppy last year in November. A French Bulldog. Everything was fine until he started being aggressive towards our seven year old, then towards me. I’m currently 35 weeks pregnant and it’s more now, not sure if this is why, but he’s tried to bite me several times. To the point where I decided he was no longer allowed inside the house. I told my husband this wasn’t working and I’m scared for the baby when he’s here and he might bite him. Hubby doesn’t want to get rid of him; we’ve gotten into multiple arguments because of the dog, not just towards us but we’ve had to replace tons of things he’s destroyed and clearly I’m the only one seeing that. Anyway, I sold his dog door so he wouldn’t stay inside. Hubby bought him one for the garage so he could have access to the backyard, he has a pen on the garage so he’s only on that space. Anyway, if I go get in the car he barks and acts like I’m a stranger. Husband spends more time with him than with us or our daughter. Today I had it, they went on a bike ride and my daughter came back with bloody knees twice because “he couldn’t watch her since he was watching the dog”. I was livid. I’m not familiar with getting rid of a dog or rehoming or anything but this one is just, something else. Any advice?

46 Likes

Keep the dog and re home the stupid husband

9 Likes

The dog definitely needs to go your husband needs to get his priorities straight which is you and y’all kids

20 Likes

Unpopular opinion here I’m sure, but the dog would be gone and hubby can go with him if he’s got a problem. I don’t have the time to dedicate to an animal, which is why I don’t have one.

20 Likes

It’s because your pregnant. My dog was the same when I was pregnant with my son. Soon as I had my son he got over it.

5 Likes

Call a rescue group.

1 Like

Have you gotten the dog neutered? Aggressive tendencies can start because he isn’t. Rethink about rehoming him and get him fixed or trained if need be.

16 Likes

Is the dog fixed? Male dogs can be aggressive if they are not fixed. I have a pit bull that I got when he was 10 months old that did the same thing got him fixed and started walking alot and he is such a big baby now. Dogs need lots of exercise and attention. Putting in a kennel won’t help at all it could make it worst.

8 Likes

You’re pregnant with a boy and your dog is a boy, it’s competing for dominance through your hormones. I had a female cat when I was pregnant, and my hormones were really strong and she started hissing and pissing on all our stuff to show dominance so we had to get rid of her aswell. For the dog you are its owner and in his eyes he owns you, being pregnant is maxing the terostarone(idk if I spelled that right) and it’s as if he has to compete for it. I had several vets tell me that about my cat so we had to get rid of her unfortunately :sob:

I won’t have dogs in my house that constantly try to hurt me or my children. Period. But on another note, it might benefit everyone if the dog was taken to see the vet. Our chihuahua had two claws that became ingrown and got infected. He was lashing out left and right because he was in pain. That may or may not be the case but it’s worth a try.

5 Likes

Your kids are more important than a dog. Any dog that tries to bite me is gone, tries to bite my kids and it’s a dead dog

14 Likes

Is the dog neutered ? If not then have that done and take him to training if your husband does not have time or want to make the time to do this then the dog should be rehomed. Keeping the dog isolated outside will not help the dog get less aggressive.

3 Likes

Call a rescue group, rehome him. I understand why the dog isn’t allowed in the house, but also having him live in the garage is not okay. He needs a family.
I have friends who are pregnant and their dogs didn’t get aggressive during it. But every dog is different. Is he nurtured? That could be part of it if he’s not.

1 Like

Sounds like you need to get rid of the husband not the dog

2 Likes

Sounds like you need to get rid of the husband too

4 Likes

I had to re-home both of my dogs after I had my daughter. I raised the first one since she was two months old and the other from 4 weeks old. the first one was about 6 when I had to re-home her because she snapped at my daughter when she was about a year old. I waited to re-home the other because she was much younger (about 2) and thought my first dog was just getting older and wasn’t used to small children. huge mistake. my younger good ended up attacking my daughter about a year later. some dogs are just not family dogs, either from lack of exposure, old age, or bad experiences in previous homes. I’m not one to speak on married life, but I can speak as a parent. it’s better to re-home the dog than wait or love in fear of an attack. yes dogs are family, but you wouldn’t leave your cold with a family member you were unsure would act violently towards your child

1 Like

Try getting him fixed and sending him to obedient school.

Get rid of hubby and his dog

2 Likes

Puppy’s destroy things - they are little kids. If ya didn’t know that, why’d ya get one?? It sounds like your house has a lot of tension and the pup is probably picking up on that, they are more sensitive than we think. It will be also picking up that you don’t like it and acting out maybe? We got our pup when our youngest was almost 6 months old so not sure re the pregnancy but he did destroy things but was never aggressive. He’s a big softie. Maybe he needs some training and some stimulation? Also love and to not be locked outside!

18 Likes

Sounds like you need someone to help you train the dog

2 Likes

Contact the dog whisperer Redirecting...

Vet visit and trainer.

I have never understood people choosing a dog over their child. The day a dog trys to hurt me or my children is the day my husband takes it outback with a shotgun and a shovel! Get rid of the dog and if ur husband has a problem then he can go too.

24 Likes

Take a shoe or news paper or flex ruler or even a switch and you whoop that dogs ass. Hit it in the fucking nose and say “bad dog. Get outside” after a few minutes go outside with a treat and you object on choice and try to be nice again, offering a treat if he approaches nicely and will accept a pet. If he does pet him a few times then walk off leaving the dog outside still. If he is not nice repeat the smack and say bad dog again.

Get the dog training… also if dog isn’t fixed get him fixed… you don’t get rid of a dog unless you’ve exhausted all options!

9 Likes

So heres the thing…

Neutered, it’ll help. It really will. Unaltered dogs have higher bite records than an altered dog. Male dogs especially.

You may need to seek a behaviorist to figure out the triggers, but quite honestly it sounds like you’re just kinda set on being over the whole thing.

You have a frenchie, that’s a dog created to have medical issues (honest, bulldogs are medical money pits).

Leaving him as an outside dog and seperate from the household dynamic wont help any issue ever except reinforce whatever trigger he has with you and teach him not to be housebroken. I’m not sure what state you live in but Frenchies are not equipt to handle heat or winters well. If you are gonna rehome him contact a rescue group familiar with the breed.

11 Likes

Re-home the dog and the husband.

10 Likes

Sounds like he has a health issue. Could be anything from an infected tooth to an ear infection. You would be surprised on how their behavior will change due to pain. And they can’t tell ya about it.

7 Likes

Don’t ever feel bad about rehoming a dog to protect your babies. You, your kids, and the dog will all be happier. We had to rehome a black lab for similar reasons and he is WAY happier where he’s at.

7 Likes

Get a professional trainer or give the dog to someone who will.

1 Like

Is ge fixed??? If not that is ehy he is being aggressive.

Call the pound while he is at work and say he ran away girl

16 Likes

I’m so sorry! I would want to rehome the dog too. The kids come first always! Charge a rehoming fee and find a family without kids.

6 Likes

Nope sorry any dog who was aggressive towards my kid is out I had a shitzu who I loved had him for 7 years but when my son was 7 months old he bit my sons fsce and drew blood he threatened a few times but this was the last straw I have him to a rescue and they found him
A nice home with no kids

7 Likes

Sounds like you need to train the dog, bond with it. The dog treats you as a stranger because you treat it like it isn’t welcome. Train the dog, take it on long walks, maybe train your 7 year old how to properly respect an animal. Sounds like your child was rough with the dog, it gave the warnings and your child didn’t listen. Then when you intervened you have also treated the dog badly. Dogs don’t just turn on their pack.

2 Likes

Take the dog to the local shelter. Screw what your husband wants. He’s being incredibly irresponsible and doesn’t get a say anymore because children’s safety is at stake.

5 Likes

Separating him from you and keeping him in the garage or outside is only going to make him more aggressive.

7 Likes

I think it’s better for the dog to rehome it to somebody who will actually put time and effort into it. Dogs don’t know what’s correct behavior or not unless we train them. Removing it further and further from your family will only make the dog more insecure, and therefore “aggressive” and destructive because it’s probably the only time anybody pays attention to him.

You say everything was fine before but may not have recognized cues that everything was not fine. A vet visit should always be the first stop when there is a change in behavior. I’m not saying you’re wrong to take safety precautions, but I am saying you’re doing it in a way that just perpetuates everything.

Outback Dog Training Group is a good place to rectify things if you are interested in that route. Otherwise, be honest and upfront with any home or rescue he’s moving to.

6 Likes

To bad no one thought to fucking train the dog from a puppy :smirk::smirk:
Dogs do not just become aggresive. You amd your husband made the dog this way. Do the right thing and rehome to someone who actually gives a shit and dont ever get another pet. You dont deserve it

the people that are saying exhaust all the options first… i went through this too so unless you have, please take it easy on this person. your family comes first always and if you feel the dog is a danger then rehoming is the best option. to a home with no children and with a rehoming fee of course.

7 Likes

The dog can sense the baby and it’s unfamiliar so if the dog is not fixed it’s dominant traits kick in. If the pup is not neutered, then get it done and then get the dog some training. Also, how big.is your yard. Dogs need to run and get their energy out, especially if it’s a little over puppy stage. This also helps with the aggression. If you’re not able or willing to.do that, then yes get rid of the dog… however, I suggest NOT getting another one after your baby is born or ever. That wouldn’t be right. It’s apparent that you really don’t like dogs, so may be best for you to never have one. Otherwise, you wouldn’t be upset with your husband spending time with the dog and trying to let the dog know it’s wanted and loved. Dogs can sense these things also. Just make sure the pup goes to a great home. Reach out to rescues that will take the time the dog needs for a better life. Good luck

1 Like

dogs do not show aggression for “no reason” same way babies cry as a way to communicate to you that they are hungry/scared/need a nappy change etc a dog uses its behaviour to communicate. Take it to the vet to be sure there isn’t an underlying health issue then take it to a trainer to address these issues before you re-home. For all those saying “re home it” would you re home your kid when it draw on your walls or throws itself on the supermarket floor because it wants something you’ve said no to? no you’d correct the behaviour

5 Likes

Rehome to someone who can train him

1 Like

Sounds like the dog really deserves a better home and next time get a plant or a fish. The dog will not get better being left outside and its just not fair, what a sad life. You had the opportunity to mould the puppy to be the nicest dog and failed it, always do your research before getting a dog and if you dont know what you’re doing, invest in a trainer before it gets this bad and you have to rehome a now broken dog. Im sure it will do better in a responsible persons care, getting excersise, discipline, love and understanding…

16 Likes

Ill take the dog if you want to rehome.

2 Likes

If he is biting, let him go. You dont owe anyone anything. Hubby will get over it. If you have a friend who will take him, hubby can go visit. One of my old coworkers gave her dog to a farmer. He has lots of space to run around and is doing well. You need to do what is best for your family. The end.

10 Likes

The dogs need to be fixed and get a dog trainer to teach you what to do with the dog.

2 Likes

The dog isn’t the problem here you are!!

11 Likes

Get him fixed and train him. Dogs need worked and walked and stimulated or they get bored and bored dogs do weird stuff. Separating him from the family and really not giving him what he needs is gonna make it all worse, obviously.
It’s not his fault he’s not getting what he needs.

1 Like

Get rid of it. Find a loving home, don’t just put it on the street or to the pound. But you don’t need the added stress of your dog’s behavior.

6 Likes

I’d say bye to the dog unfortunately if it was me :pensive: might be better suited in a home with no children.

4 Likes

Did you try training? We rescued our dog in December and she had a couple aggressive moments. We were already doing basic obedience classes and talked with the instructor on ways to fix behaviors. Worked first time like a charm. Now she’s amazing with our daughter. Daughter tries to ride her like a pony, puts her in headlocks, etc.

2 Likes

I feel bad for the dog, instead of putting work into it you just want to give it up. Owning an animal isn’t a walk in he park. Maybe take it to the vet to see if there’s something wrong?

5 Likes

Get rid of the dog. It isn’t worth the stress. Essentially with kids

7 Likes

From the comments I’m reading this is unpopular but never should a dog come before your family. My family had dogs that were sweet then because aggressive and they all got re-homed. One was super attached to my dad when I was little and would bite anyone who came by him. With 7 kids we all wanted dad time there was no way she could stay. The other bit my little brother in the face when he went to feed her. Hadn’t had a problem before that. The first died happy and fat in her new home at the age of 16. The other is living her best life to this day with her new family.

6 Likes

Blaming the wrong end of the leash is the problem. Lack of knowledge and lack of training. 100%

8 Likes

Get rid of it now before it attacks your daughter and then your baby.

10 Likes

I’ve had this situation. I had two dogs that showed aggression. I tried with one to make it work bc he had the tendency towards my husband. Thought it would work out. Then he started marking his territory through the house. Nothing we did short of fixing him would have solved it. Found him a good him to go to. Had a female pup that showed aggression and bit my grandson even though she was raised with him since day one. My grandson is worth more to me than any dog. Found her a good home with older kids better suited for her. There is nothing wrong protecting you and your children and with finding a home better suited for your dog. It’s a loving thing to do all around. Dogs deserve to be a part of the family and you deserve to have peace of mind with safety for your children

4 Likes

Get rid of it before the baby comes or it will kill it, or attack you and your other child

6 Likes

I sadly had to rehome our dog years ago. To someone with no kids…
he was such a good dog, but I noticed the dog was changing his bark an sounded mad… i realised it was before an after school that our dogs bark was angry. I then Realised some kid was stirring him up when they walked to school that it ended up making our dog aggressive towards kids. I caught what the kid was doing but it was to late. (The dog would just have his nose poking out an the kid was throwing stuff an kicking at it.

My oldest daughter an my sisters could play outside but they could barely go out the back, my nephew come over one day an the dog chased him. Then I was out the back one day an my daughter come out an spoke to me an the dog flew to bite her (I had to put my leg out to stop our dog from running) the look on the dogs face was like he wanted to rip her to shreds, …,
I got pregnant an I was literally afraid of our child one day running outside an being attacked.
I think once the trust In the dog has gone then that’s it. We loved our dog but our kids weren’t safe anymore. Sadly I knew it was because of the kid stirring it up but We couldn’t risk our kids getting hurt.

5 Likes

That dog needs to go and if baby daddy won’t allow it he needs to go too. Rehome the beast some dogs aren’t good with kids.

14 Likes

Girl, DO WHATS RIGHT FOR YOUR FAMILY. Most of all YOUR babies!

Don’t listen to these backward ass people. You are protecting your children. If the tables were turned & you keep the dog, it hurts one of the kids these same asshole who are telling “you your the problem” would be shaming you then.

Obviously your doing the right thing!
Now try a local rescue & try to have a serious heart to heart with your hubby. Explain to him, it’s the dog or it’s his family.

I’m sorry I would rehome , I couldn’t take the chance of the dog attacking the new baby then decided to
Take action once it’s to late

15 Likes

Sounds like the puppy deserves better than you. Locking him outside instead of taking the time to train him? It seems like you shouldn’t have a dog

12 Likes

As a mother, protect your children and your precious baby on the way! Ask a friend to care for your dog and give your family a break so you can focus on being a mother. It is not easy being pregnant. You do not need that kind of stress, worrying if the dog is going to bite you or your child.

7 Likes

When you get a puppy you are accepting full responsibility. That means if things go bad you do what needs to be done to fix it. Not get rid of the problem. Get a trainer and work with them. Some trainers have boarding programs for intensive corrective behavior. At the very least you and your husband need to research how to redirect and correct your dogs behavior.

4 Likes

Something is going on with the dog… Dogs don’t just suddenly grow aggressive toward people, especially people he lives with.

How is the dog training?
Is there abuse going on?
Are you screaming and yelling at the dog?
Why are you so resentful toward the dog?
Has he ever been YOUR dog?
How do you treat him?
Does your daughter hit the dog or throw things at it to make it feel threatened?
What’s your relationship like with the dog?

I’m a dog owner and the behavior of dogs is a reflection of their trainers/ owners and their environment. Something happened to that dog and I believe that with all my heart.

You Don’t get dogs because they are cute little puppies and throw them out when they get older or if their behavior is poor because you as their owner failed to properly train them. Dogs are family members and i can tell just by what you’re saying, that you never really liked or cared for the dog. No dog owner who truly cares for their dog would speak about them in that manner.

“All the things the dog destroyed”- its a dog… how did you train him is the question. :eyes:

Do you just throw your children outside if they break things or become aggressive for whatever reason? No you don’t. You would seek help for them and work with them to overcome their triggers… Its the same damn thing and you should seek help for the dog instead of looking for reasons to throw him out. It’s heartbreaking and sad. Good for your husband in fighting to keep the dog. I feel for him badly.

5 Likes

Rehome the dog. No dog is worth the risk of it hurting your babies. Give it to a good home without children where they can train it and give it the one on one time it needs.

11 Likes

Children’s safety is by far most important! Hire a behaviorist for the dog and get their opinion as to how aggressive the dog really is. We had to do this when our pup bit our daughter but he turned out to be the best dog ever! I also suggest marriage counseling. No shame in that and you have some big issues going on…

4 Likes

Get training. When you adopt a dog that’s supposed to be family. If your kids started having problems you’d put them in counseling wouldn’t you? I know the level is different but it’s the same idea

3 Likes

Y’all are nuts. Just get rid of the dog. At the end of the day… It’s a dog. :roll_eyes: & Not worth risking your kids getting hurt. :man_shrugging:t3: I had my boy for 4 years then my son was born & my dog bit him when he was 6 months old. Since my husband had a day about what happened to him, he went to the pound. Had it been my choice the dog would have been dead

29 Likes

My dog has to be on medication. The vet says he has anxiety that exhibits as aggression. He is chill in his medication.

Try to find a training school for the pup that’s what my family had to do

Try a training class first, and then rehome if it doesn’t work out. I would not take the chance with a newborn that the dog may get loose and attack you while holding the baby, or even attack your child since it’s already shown aggression toward 7yo

1 Like

Frenchies can be stubborn and aggressive without proper training. You may want to try reaching out to French Bulldog groups to ask for suggestions…

What HELLO! PLEASE TAKE THE DOG TO YOUR VET IT COULD BE SOMETHING WRONG WITH IT MEDICALLY AND THAT’S WHY IT’S ACTING OUT

Y’all saying this until that dog gets loose and attacks her newborn. Then you’ll be the same people telling her she’s a bad mom for not getting rid of a dog that she knew was aggressive :roll_eyes:

21 Likes

Children’s safety is by far always the priority. That dog would “accidentally find himself” in a new home or shelter. :woman_shrugging:t2:

5 Likes

I had a slight problem like that when I was pregnant too. But it’s a different matter with kids. Try to keep them apart while you decide what to do.

1 Like

Take the dog to a shelter when hubby is not home.

1 Like

T.r.a.i.n.e.r

Also bulldogs can’t be in the heat

Some animals don’t fit in the dynamic of a household, no matter the breed. A child’s safety should always be top priority. And nobody wants to put down a dog because it bit a child.
Try a professional trainer first to get some understanding of their behaviour and temperament. If that doesn’t work, the trainer would recommend re-homing to a family better suited to the dog.

Oh hell no, find the dog a new home where he can be trained by someone who will take the time to do it. Seems like its unfortunately too late to be training a dog amidst having a new born baby not worth risking if something were to happen during your own trial of training with the dog. Hubby needs to open his eyes and get on board. After all he should be protecting his family.

2 Likes

Babies come before animals.

3 Likes

Sounds like u should’ve been smarter and got the dog trained and if its a male u may try neutering the dog. We had to with my dog (larger breed) and he mellowed out majorly. But ur husband is a whole different issue and it sounds like he needs a reality check.

I know your worried for your children but I also feel sorry for the dog… locking the dog outside will only make its behaviour worse. Owning a dog means making them apart of your family and since he’s previously been allowed inside and is now locked outside will only make him even more resentful towards you. The safety of your family is important and training a dog is also… I hope u consider behavioural training for your pooch before just getting rid of him because owning a dog doesn’t mean getting them and locking them outside without training

2 Likes

Love your pet is beautiful but please get new home with maybe some one in yourfamily and keep your baby safe.

No animal is worth the safety of your child. Y’all are really pressed because she wants to get rid of a dog. God how are some of you parents.:woman_facepalming::joy:

9 Likes

French bulldogs belong in the house not locked out in the heat or in the cold😡

5 Likes

I have been raising dogs for over 30 years and have some insight, I’m not a professional, but in my experience ,has he been neutered/fixed? That will be a part of the problem, he’s got to much testosterone going on and trying to dominate. If he is fixed I would definitely try going to the vet to make sure all is good, and then obedience traing.

Get rid of it yourself, tell him it ran tf away. I wouldnt deal with that exspecially with u being pregnant an having a child that hes also doing that too.

An for your hubby no offense to choose his dog over yall somethings off.

2 Likes

My daughter have dog from puppy on up about 10 years they love that dog like it was there children but dog went wanting to bit her for known rason so she hzve to have dog put down it broke her heart but the dog almost killed her one so took to Doctor said put hdr down.so l hope you the best.

Could you try some training with a professional? It really does work.

1 Like

It’s actual abuse to leave a dog that small outside. Should have trained the dog properly. Get rid of it since you guys clearly couldn’t take the responsibility of properly training the dog on top of everything else and please don’t get another if your solution is leaving it outside.

9 Likes

Have you tried training him? Keeping them caged in one space won’t help either.

2 Likes

Dog would be gone if I were you. Training a dog not to be aggressive towards their owner and children is extremely difficult and not worth it. Sounds like it needs to be with somebody who is single.

7 Likes

Wow. It sounds like you never trained this dog or created any sort of boundaries for this dog. Being neutered/fix won’t magically fix this problem and that whole theory is a myth. This dog needs some serious obedience work and I say this as someone who has been but by dog. If you don’t do something soon one of you will get bit. I can guarantee it.

2 Likes

If you do get rid of this dog please please don’t get another one until you have time to devote to training it. My dog is three and we still work everyday.

3 Likes

Sounds like you didn’t assert dominance and the dog doesn’t see you as the boss.

Something is wrong, dogs just don’t start acting like this for no reason! Please get him fixed and I really don’t think you should continue to keep the dog! Something is off!

2 Likes