My dog is becoming aggressive: Thoughts?

If the vet doesn’t find anything wrong, dog trainers can do wonderful things so it would really be worth exploring that avenue. Perhaps it could be as simple as him needing his own space to go to get away from children now and again e.g. crate/bed in another room but a good trainer will be able to watch him, read the warning signs and help address the problem if there is nothing medical to address first. Really hope this works out well for you.

2 Likes

This dog is 8 years old. St Bernard’s don’t usually live longer than 9 maybe 10 and that is pushing it. Maybe he is just old and doesn’t want it anymore. You can’t fault him for that. He doesn’t have the energy and maybe doesn’t want to be touched anymore. Try a behaviorist or keep them separated but to re home a dog with maybe a couple more years is just wrong.

2 Likes

Make your children respect his space and talk to a vet

1 Like

Take to the vet and check to see if they are in pain, if not keep a close eye on the dog it could of been a one off (I’m not defending what happened) but monitor closely people are quick enough to jump on saying get rid and it makes me laugh, dogs are allowed to have an off day, if it’s never happened before it may never happen again, but explain to your 4 year old just not pet when your not there x

1 Like

My babies come first, dog would be gone.

5 Likes

No wonder dogs homes are so full :see_no_evil:

1 Like

With the dogs size and age it sound like the dog is in stress and possibly in pain from something like arthritis. I would go to the vet for a full exam because the dog is getting to end of his life expectancy when these types of problems show up. I would also talk with your child and just explain to not be scared of the dog but to also let the dog be and not get in the dogs space. You can say something like “the dog has a boo boo so we can’t pet them until they get better”

2 Likes

There are a lot of training videos and tips on youtube, I would look them up and see what you can do. The best bet if you’re wanting to work with him on this then a muzzle would help him understand. I’ve seen a lot of aggressive dogs be rehabilitated and actually good with children.

It could also just be aggresive in certain circumstances like eating, leash, cage, bed spaces hes uncomfortable being messed with at. Just notice the signs and where hes showing the most aggression to determine what you need to look into. Definitely a vet visit to make sure the pups okay & not sick or in pain.

You might have to rehome the doggo if you don’t have the time or resources to help. I had to rehome my strafford terrier because she was cage/food aggressive and I just didnt have time to work with her while doing the online school with my son and working.

It could be that hes become “reactive” not aggressive. When a dog wants to be loved on or pet they will come to you. You could contact a specialized senior trainer who could give you some insight. He may not necessarily dislike your child but is reacting because he doesn’t want to be touched by him. Definitely something I would look into since he’s been with you majority of his life.

Maybe he isn’t feeling well… There could be something wrong you can’t see… Take him to the vet… And get a clear bill of health before any thing else… Then he maybe better off in a home with no children around etc…I am no expert but you definitely do not want to risk your child getting bit… Please call your vet… And make an appt… Your dog could be in pain and you not know it…i would take to the vet asap… And keep any kids away from the dog.
For the time being until you figure out what is or isn’t going on…

First and foremost is your child’s life and safety within your home and care… Personally I’d not have to ask any questions, my child would come first always.

2 Likes

Jesus Christ some of you shouldn’t have dogs. Please take the dog to the vet and investigate don’t just get rid of your dog.

Animals are family too, and if you don’t feel that way you shouldn’t have any animal. Ever

4 Likes

We’ve raised king Sheppards for over 25 years. I agree with taking him to the vet to make sure he’s not in pain or uncomfortable. Beyond that it could be his age. We have 1 sheppard left. Shes fantastic with kids and other animals. I also have another smaller dog who’s still a puppy. When he gets too much for her she let’s us know by her behaviour. Make him a space thats his own that your children can’t get to him. Even use a baby gate if you can. St Bernard’s don’t live longer than 10 years or so. Dont get rid of him because you’re all he knows. To the people saying right away get rid of the dog…dont get an animal. Ever. You clearly don’t understand that regardless of size and age there needs to be supervision when children are around. My dogs have never bit anyone or have been aggressive with anyone. Once there’s children around I separate them regardless. I trust my dogs but they also have instincts. They all do

3 Likes

Take him to a vet, and talk to your child about respecting your dogs personal space. My dog didn’t like being approached by the kids unless it’s on her terms, so I gave her her own personal space until she was comfortable around the kids. Now they coexist just fine because the kids understand they need to respect her space and she’s not uncomfortable. Too many people are quick to get rid of dogs but understand they cannot communicate thier discomfort so it’s up to YOU as the owner to know and read your dog.

2 Likes

I know the pet store has different herbal treatments for nerves…and some CBD products were recommended for my irritable cat…

Give the dog his own space and consult vet

1 Like

Break out the belt and wear him out dont let him do your 4 yr old like that

6 Likes

Look into behaviour trainer and get advice from a professional and get a check up for health any issues.

1 Like

Stupid ? Get rid of the dog he hurts your kids its your fault why would you risk it

1 Like

Get rid of the dog before he hurts your kid. Plain and simple.

Get ride of dog fast

Trip to vet before making any decisions dog could be in pain somewhere.

3 Likes

Definitely time for a vet visit first to make sure he isn’t in pain. That could be one reason.
Also, not all animals like to be touched all the time. And they will let you know obviously. Since you have a large dog and your child is young, you need to start teaching your child to only pet the dog when the dog comes to him. We have started this with my two year old. Until your child is older and can learn not to pet the dog unless the dog comes to him, I would make sure the dog and child are separated at all times or very closely monitored while together to prevent accidents.

3 Likes

You need to give positive reinforcement to your dog when he’s sweet to your child. Try setting next to the dog petting then give him lots of praise when your child moves closer until your dog is used to it. Giving him calming aids and treats while your doing this will help. It’s what we did at the shelter for food aggression but it usually works in every senecio. I just did this with my kids and the dog we adopted last August. The poor dog is now drowning in kisses and realized she loves it. It takes a while but it’s worth it

1 Like

He may be in pain, take him to the vet ASAP.

Keep them separated at all times, never leave them alone together at all. You know his capable of really hurting your kids, he needs to be in a child free home for his sake and the children’s sake. Realistically would re homing him to a better home suited for him really break your heart more then him injuring one of your children would?

Good luck mama, it might be age. My huskie is 13 years old, she’s pretty cranky now. I need to make sure she has her own space for her quiet time. I can tell when she starts to get overwhelmed and move my other dogs out of the room so she gets to relax. My son is 7 so he understands when she needs to be alone.

My dog is 11, and was raosed with kids (but not mine) She EVER did this to my children, she’d be at a vet for any underling issue I may be unaware of and if nothing found she’d never be near my kids again… Its not a risk worth taking and after being with chidlren her entire life she knows how to deal with them and loves all kids of all ages. Even adores all my nieces and nephew of varying ages and has never showed agressive behavior even when my kids were learning how to treat animals, she’s been an amazing family pet!!

1 Like

He may be sick or have a medical issue. Some dogs, as they age, just don’t like kids.

If it only happens when the kiddo is touching the dog, keep the kiddo away from the dog. Don’t leave them alone.

Hey everyone, this was my question and I appreciate those of you who offered positive feedback. I left some information out because frankly it’s no ones business but my son is on the spectrum which is why it has taken him so long to warm up. As far as this having happened before, it never went further than a warning the first time. Admittedly our pup has a bad track record with attacking other animals and we have made modifications to his and our own lives to make sure those situations don’t arise. We can’t walk him, we can’t take him to the groomer and his world just keeps getting smaller because he’s so aggressive. I have spoken to our vet and a trainer as of this morning and they both advised me that because of his age and breed, there is no way to guarantee that he ever loses the aggression. My vet also told me that if it were a thyroid issue, the medication for that could increase his metabolism and energy levels which could in turn increase the aggression. Rehoming him is just another safety liability and I won’t let him die alone in a cage if he were to be surrendered. We have been advised by our vet that it’s most likely time to say goodbye while he still has some good days left and spare him any pain or further confusion in the future.

1 Like

Bring him to the vet my dog was a sweetheart and wouldn’t hurt a soul, she was eight and started getting a little snippy and we found out she had cancer I’m not saying that’s it’s and I pray it isnt because we just lost her but I would go get some blood work sometimes that their way of saying they are hurting

Were there any food, treats or dog toys around? If so, resource guarding could be the issue.

Otherwise, vet check and keep them separated. I once read about a dog that suddenly became violent towards a child. The owners tried to deal with it and ultimately decided to have the dog put down. After the dog was euthanized, the vet found a pencil in the dog’s rectum. The dog had clearly been mistreated and was in pain. :pensive:

He could be in pain or he is getting too old

hire a trainer. period asking random people on the internet will get you a mixed bag of pretty piss poor advice and opinion. You need a trainer to assess what the problem is, what they dog’s issues are, and how you may not be dealing with it properly. Kids and dogs for the most part, don’t mix without the right circumstance. A trainer that deals with behavior would be your best bet.

Speaking from my own experience of having my face bit by a dog when I was 3. I firmly believe children come first, I never had a dog around my daughter because the risk outweighed the reward. I know not all dogs are aggressive but as a parent why take the risk. Get them a goldfish much safer.

Get Rid now don’t wate a second longer