My family is upset I have not started my baby on solids yet: Advice?

I breast fed only my kids till 6 months…Drs order. They did fine.

1 Like

Definitely wait six months. People who say that don’t understand that a babies gut micro biome and bacteria isn’t always ready for solid food until six months and introducing foods too quickly can cause damage and metabolism issues and allergies.

3 Likes

Talk to your doctor before you do anything!! Have it documented by Dr, to keep you safe, in case anything horrible happens.

2 Likes

My baby was on solids “early” I got judged for that, I also get judged for the fact that at 9months actual (7months corrected) I’m not doing BLW. Screw what everyone has to say, you’re the parent and you know when your child is ready noone else.

1 Like

Do what you think is best, my second wasn’t interested till like 9 months so I went with it!

1 Like

Doctor’s say wait until 6 months :woman_shrugging:
My MIL always tryin to put a little cereal in the milk. Or dads always trying to offer mashed potatoes. Either way the baby will be fine. Every baby and every mama is different. Don’t be afraid to stand up for your self. Don’t get a divorce over it either tho.

3 Likes

Your choice and if baby is good i wouldn’t worry
My girls were around 4 months I started my son atb3 months I think cause milk wasn’t filling him.up

I was told by multiple doctors and nurses that their golden rule is “FOOD BEFORE ONE IS JUST FOR FUN”. Until one year old, they get everything they need from the milk they drink so it is a matter of personal choice. You are mum so follow your instincts, you’ll know when it’s the right time :heart:

6 Likes

Food before one is just for fun, i recommend referring them to the current WHO guidelines and recommendations.
I copped crap left right and centre because I didn’t introduce solids to my son and I refused to give water. He was exclusively breast fed. Once I did choose to offer foods I used baby led weaning which meant that I didn’t give purées etc and that I gave my child the food off my plate, veg sticks and meat sticks etc (cut in soldiers) honestly I would just do some research and print it out and give to them to read. For me it got to the point I told my mum straight up that she won’t be alone with my child because I can’t trust that she will respect my wishes. I hope it all works out for you

3 Likes

As a mother you know what’s best for your child and letting that be known is perfectly ok as well say “hey I don’t need you to help me parent my child thank you for your advice though.” You owe nobody nothing besides that child if he’s healthy your doing your job

3 Likes

YOUR baby YOUR choice

1 Like

It’s up to you but I think 6 months is a preferred time to start solids

I waited a year and breastfed until then

1 Like

It usually from 6 months and up, it’s your baby not theirs

1 Like

It’s your baby and as long as it’s healthy don’t worry about what others say…

1 Like

My eldest was 6months, and this one I plan to be 6months, if your baby is gaining weight and content after a feed then carry on as you are! Some need to wean from 4months as theirs aren’t satisfied on just milk. You know your baby :blush:

My son wasn’t interested in pureed food at all…so I just let him kind of skip that part and go right into finger foods around 7 months. He picked it up quickly, and now at 14 months I think he’s going to eat us out of house and home :sweat_smile: You do you, sounds like your baby is fine

1 Like

I waited till just before 6 months with both my kids and they are fine… it’s more you have to read their cues because some babies are not interested at all and some are super curious when they see you eat

2 Likes

Nope !!! Not their baby. You care for YOUR baby as you, and the pediatrician, see fit !!! Keep breast feeding. Baby will let you know when he wants more.

1 Like

Your baby your rules,
Tell them if you need advice you will ask if not tell them to back off and mind there business

1 Like

Personally I think I’d introduce solids now your baby is well and truly ready for solids gee whiz what’s stopping you ???

1 Like

When my parents had opinions that I didn’t ask for, I told them that they had their turn at being parents, this is mine.

1 Like

Take your cues from the baby. If they’re reaching out for food give it to them

People will always have an opinion on your baby and they will always say you’re wrong even when you agree with them. You do whats right for your baby and you. The only one who can argue what you do with your baby as long as its not hurting or endangering your child is your child’s other parent. Everyone says, “Food before one is just for fun” but in all honestly, food before one is for learning eating skills, not nutrition. You can also cause problems feeding solids to early. You do you and wait till 6 months. Sounds like you have a good grasp on what is healthy for your baby.

My 2nd baby was putting on so much weight from my breast milk alone that my doctor told me not to introduce solids until he was 12 months and he survived :person_shrugging:t3:

Baby. Led. Feeding. Is called baby led feeding for a reason. His body will let you know if he’s ready. Some kids are ready earlier than others. He’s fine.

Do what you want for it’s your child!

It’s said that babies that have solids before 6 months can be at greater risk for celiac, diabetes, chronic illnesses and obesity not sure if that’s true but that’s why I’ve always waited until 6 months. Do what you want because it’s your baby not theirs.

1 Like

Considering you are mom. Who cares what anyone else thinks.

Your his mother. No one else opinions matter. You will know when it’s time to switch or incorporate solids. He will let you know. Don’t worry bout them

6 months minimum. Baby May show signs but their digestive enzymes aren’t ready yet in their intestines to properly digest solids.

1 Like

6 months is standard practice around the world… I waited closer to a year to really get into foods but my child had other issues… just listen to your doctor and find peace. People will keep telling you how you’re doing something wrong…

Dude My middle kid was 12 months before she accepted ANY purées my oldest was 5 months because she started picking food herself my youngest was 6 months the suggested is not before 6 months and fois before one is just for fun …

I also started my baby on solids at 6 months. Listen to the Dr and ignore the family

1 Like

Before 6 months youll only make your baby have a bad time digesting.

2 Likes

Your the mama an do what you feel.

1 Like

Baby’s don’t have the proper bacteria in there belly to properly digest solids which is why doctors often recommend 6months of age to introduce it

Why would you even ask this question?

Nope never waited that long. Started cereal by 3 months. Maybe even earlier with my 2nd due to his acid reflex. By 4 months started other stuff. They need more than just breast milk.

Ummmm 6 months is normal…. Tell them to piss off.

1 Like