My husband got mad at our gender reveal: Advice?

I relate. I finally had convinced my husband to try one last time for a girl and when I found out I was having another boy I was so upset inside. I cried and felt my dream of having a girl officially would never come true. Once I started buying stuff for him I was able to accept it and now I have my hands on little man and I would change him for anything

1 Like

A grown man throwing a temper tantrum is definitely not normal behavior!
Tell him that what he did was hurtful and embarrassing (it would be for me if my husband behaved that way).
Unfortunately, there is nothing he or anyone can do to get that moment back. However, he should definitely still apologize for his behavior. Give him a day or two to cool off and talk calmly to him about it.

It’s completely normal most men want a son I think it makes them feel like a man woman get upset all the time it’s only fair men are allowed to I’m sure it was just family and close loved ones so they already knew you both were hoping for a boy

My ex husband had a 2 week tantrum everytime we found out we were having a girl we have three. It is not normal behavior hes an adult not a child.

Slamming the door is nothing it’s okay to be upset. I’m sure his side of the family has seen this behavior before. (Especially his parents) I can’t blame him if I had 4 girls I’d cry literally :woman_shrugging::laughing: I mean all dads want a boy but I’ve seen gender reveals be wrong especially if it’s too early. Just give him time to process this… I’m sure he’ll be fine. Has he acted like this before about other things? Or is this the first time you’ve seen him act this way?

I don’t know this one is hard. He has tried 4 times for a boy, and probably isn’t going to get another chance. This was his last chance. I’m assuming. That was a hard moment for him. Probably one of the hardest. You got a girl and a man getting a boy means a lot to them. It was a huge moment for him. It hurt him badly. If he’s not an usually like this, girl he needs love right now. He needs all the love, support, and understanding. He’s grieving for a son he won’t get. That’s hard love.

He’s allowed to feel disappointed, angry or sad but not to make other people feel bad because of how he feels. He needs to learn to control his emotions fast. And how do you think your other daughters feel to know all you want is a boy? Seek professional help for your daughter’s sake.

Yea to be honest I think it is okay to be completely disappointed for a bit. I think all men want a son. It’s just in their nature so they have to grieve their future plans as well in a way. Doesn’t mean they don’t love their daughters. However him acting like a child in front of his own children. Not okay

Totally ok to feel upset about the results. Very immature how he handled himself though.

I was a single mom and terrified to have a girl. I felt like how can i protect her in this world that still isnt kind or safe for a lot of women. I cried.

Would it have been nice if he didnt slam the door in front of family and friends yes but honestly he’s human… give him a few days and then talk about it.

Disappointment is ok but this man literally set himself up. If he knew he was going to be disappointed (on any level) if a girl was revealed he should have done the work to prepare himself for it.

Hopefully it’s just temporary but he needs to do some internal work.

He sounds very immature. Sounds like he needs to get over himself and grow up. What a blessing to have a child of any gender! Sorry you are dealing with this!!!:heart::heart:

1 Like

When my husband found out we were having a 3rd boy he slapped the light post in the clinic parking lot haha, my husband isn’t an aggressive person so I knew it was just him feeling let down because he wanted a girl .if your hubby isn’t aggressive alot then maybe him too just felt intense emotion over it

Gender disappointment is a real thing, but running into the house & slamming the door is a little childish. Men are the ones that determine a baby’s gender. That’s why I think it’s funny when they get mad. I have 4 girls & 1 boy, so I know how real gender disappointment is. But I felt okay with everything before they were even born

My Dad had 4 Girls an NEVER said anything wanted a Boy. I am sure he did BUT was very HAPPY with his GIRLS. He got lots of GRANDSONS!! LOL. Your Husband will be FINE. 4th little girl is MEANT TO BE tell him?? Who knows what GREAT things she will do? Good Luck!! It will ALL work out!!:jack_o_lantern::jack_o_lantern::jack_o_lantern::jack_o_lantern:

Well there is this! So it’s because of him you’re having a girl.

1 Like

I think it’s normal…I had to keep telling myself that if I’m having another girl that it would be okay and I should be grateful but please God I’m scared to have another girl running around on this garbage planet.
And I started thinking of all the good things having 2 girls would be, our daughters will play dress up and be best friends maybe and other stuff😃 I have 2 older sisters myself.
I am having a boy this time :smiley:

When my mom was pregnant with me the ultrasound person said that I was a boy and so my parents got all boy stuff and my dad was fishing at the time when my mom went to the hospital, when he got the call he threw his fishing pole in the lake and went to the hospital…I came out as a girl :smiley:lol he really wanted a boy also but that didn’t work out lol

Aaaaaand this is yet one more reason that gender reveal parties are just not a good idea.

1 Like

I bawled straight up bawled when I found out our last was our 3rd girls.
I’d say it’s pretty normal :joy: he will be fine mama just has to let it sink in

It was the opposite for us we had 5 boys & both really wanted a girl but neither were ever angry about it! We were disappointed yes but you can’t really do anything about it… We were even told with our second child that it was a girl up until our 38 week scan we found out it was a boy! We bought everything we could think of for a girl & even after all of that being angry wouldn’t have changed anything! We did end up having a 6th child & we got our girl but that is literally all you can do, try again later if you both want to!

He’s feelings most deffinitly are valid. I’d be upset too if I ended up being pregnant with a 4th girl (boy mom at heart which is why I stopped after finding out I was having a son my first go) but he should have let out his disappointment in privet not in front of a bunch of people

I had 4 girls and 1 boy and literally cried when I found out the 4th was a girl. Being disappointed is a real thing. I did however assure my daughters I was still extremely happy and now I wouldn’t have it any other. Give him time he will adjust, some people have a hard time controlling that first initial shock.

I’m sure he was a little upset. He had his heart set on a boy. Which he acted like one then. I’m sure he didn’t plan on making a scene. Just forgive him and give him a big hug.

I have 5 girls and we were slightly upset that the 5th was yet another girl. Even the doctor that did the sonogram said “another friggen girl!” We laugh about it now! Of course your husband could of definitely handled it better and maybe just remind him, it’s the male that decides the gender!:wink:

This is his journey also, he is okay to feel his feelings and have disappointment. Try not to take it personally, he just wanted a son, a child mirroring him in his likeness, so very badly. It’s easy to reason with it from the outside. Just don’t try and take his feelings away from him, he will come around and all will be good. Now, the way his sadness is let out is another thing, there is such thing as reacting inappropriately. That can be owned up to.

How horrible. I hate to think how this daughter will be treated if he was sooooo disappointed at the reveal.

1 Like

Gender disappointment is a very real thing. All men want a son to carry on his name. His actions towards it weren’t the best but his feelings are valid. Give him a little while to come to terms with it being another girl and he will be fine. He is going to love his new daughter just like he does the rest.

Also I’m sorry if this sounds bad but it’s not his fault that others are unable to have babies so people need to stop with the “he should just be happy it’s healthy, because some of us can’t have babies at all.” I definitely understand how some feel because I’ve lost 7 babies over the last 20 years, but again, it isn’t his or even my fault that anyone has lost or can’t have babies.

Did he behave badly? Yes. Is it your fault that he “ruined the moment”? Also yes. You knew he was hoping for a boy and you made him find out it was a girl in front of a crowd of people. The odds are 50-50. What did you honestly expect him to do? This is why gender reveals are a TERRIBLE idea. A parent -either parent- should have an opportunity to express their honest feelings of disappointment when you find out the gender of your baby. I love my boys to the moon and back, but I legit cried when I was hoping the last one was a girl and I found out it was a boy. I’d have had the same reaction if I found out at a party in front of people. Why is there a double standard that a is father not allowed to have feelings about his child, but it’s ok if the mom is disappointed? This isn’t about a parent not loving the child they’re having, it’s about hoping for a certain outcome and having to adjust (in public, if you’re having a party to announce it) when you find out it won’t happen that way. Parents dream about their hypothetical children, it’s what we do when we see that blue line, imagining who that child will be. You ruined your own moment by setting it up for failure.

85 Likes

I have 2 boys 8 and 2 when I was pregnant with my 2nd my son was so upset he wanted a sister. Once his brother got here he was like I don’t know what I was thinking wanting a sister I have my best friend.

I understand being disappointed but acting like that is unforgivable.there a tons of people who can’t have children that would be thrilled with a little girl he needs to be greatful.

How DISRESPECTFUL of the baby to be a Girl !

No but in all seriousness. Gender disappointment is a real thing. Should he of acted like that ? NO. Absolutely not. But his feelings are valid. He just acted the wrong way at the wrong time.

1 Like

His feelings are valid. Gender disappointment is real. His behavior however, is unacceptable

2 Likes

Most people would hold it together around guests no matter how disappointed they were but not everyone can contain those deep emotions.Gender disappointment is such a tough thing to deal with because you have absolute love for your new child but mourn a loss of not having the hoped for son/daughter.I have seven boys so I know the deep sting of this.It’s easy to say how someone should act when it’s not you going through it i mean there are people who order a chicken sandwich in the drive thru and get a cheeseburger and go flying in the restaurant throwing a fit…why not just accept it when there are people starving in the world right? The emotions in this situation can be big and they require processing and I hope he can work through it.Myself I was grumpy for a day and then I fell in love with the idea of my son coming.Im glad I never did a gender reveal because I was allowed my space to be human.

2 Likes

My oldest son walked out of the room and cried when he found out he was having another brother, I cried because it was my 4th and last. And I have all boys. Give it time. They all came around and so did I within a couple weeks.

I had 5 boys and longed for a girl on the 5th pregnancy. We were all so ready for a girl but it didn’t happen. After I left the perinatologist office, I was driving and pulled over to call my mom. I cried. I really wanted a girl. My mom said to me, “don’t be upset. You’ve done such an amazing job raising your boys to be polite, kind, helpful and God must approve of it because he keeps sending you boys!” :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: we laughed through my tears and I never looked back. My 5th son was a force to be reckoned with but I am so grateful to be a mom of 5 boys. I remarried years later and got a bonus son so now it’s 6 sons! :heart:

60 Likes

I can’t even be mad at him I wanted a girl so bad I was mad at my own dam reveal! I mean of course I’m grateful but I don’t feel like you should be upset with him he’ll get over it :smiling_face:

1 Like

Being disappointed is okay, but how he acted :grimacing::grimacing: Poor baby girl. Some people would love to be able to have children at all.

1 Like

People are entitled to their feelings. Even adults have trouble controlling big emotions sometimes. You shouldn’t let that ruin your day though. Talk to him about it. If you feel he should apologize than talk to HIM about it. Please just have some compassion when you do. Use I feel statements.

My husband and I almost sperated over something similar when we found out we were having our 3rd girl. Gender disappointment is real but his reaction especially in front of other people was uncalled for. We had a long talk and he listened to how I felt and why. He loved her just like her sisters. We have 5 kiddos now 4 girls one boy and he never has shown favoritism to our son which was a major concern of mine. I am so sorry you had to experience that it broke my heart when mine acted like that as well and I was seriously concerned about how he was going to treat her. But he has been amazing to all of them and treats them the same

I have 4 girls too. We were hoping at least one of the twins would be a boy but ended up with 4 girls and now I can’t imagine it any other way! It will be ok. I think it’s ok it be a little “disappointed” (not getting what you hoped for) but maybe not react that way. Also want to add it’s no one’s fault! And as long as they’re* all healthy it’s a blessing.

1 Like

This is exactly why who ever came up with this gender reveal idea, bad idea. This is something that should be between the parents and shared after should they choose. That’s number one , number two be grateful for a healthy child so many are not so lucky.

4 Likes

He needs to be grateful for healthy children. Some people can never have kids. Also you can chose to do Ivf and chose the gender but that is very expensive. I’ve lost 4 babies. I was a little sad when I found out my second baby was a boy also, like my first. Only for a few moments and then realized how dare I care. I just want healthy. We are all human. We should just know when the appropriate time is to be sad. Like in privacy with our spouse.

6 Likes

This is one reason I despise gender reveals… if I’d found out either of my boys were a girl, I would not have been able to hide my disappointment. People around or not. I’d have been majorly visibly upset.

1 Like

Maybe a gender reveal was not the best option for him. He sounds like he was very emotional about it. Maybe for him a conversation with the Md would have been better (in hind sight)

Gender disappointment is really common but he could have been more mature about it. I’m sorry! :pleading_face:

1 Like

That’s why gender reveals shouldn’t happen. Lol it creates tensions amongst the couple, also it shows their behavior in front of how many people. I have 5 girls no boys. Never had a gender reveal but had surprise births. That’s better atleast they can’t storm out of the delivery room and acts Ike a fool. Lol

1 Like

girl i lost my dad because i had a girl! i feel you. i named my daughter ( i was told at 15 i couldnt have kids and got preggo at 37) after my mother. my dad left my gender reveal saying in my ear just what the world needs another f’&king gail and walked out. he didnt attend any of her birthdays and we continued to fight until i cut him out of my life last year. my daughter just turned 5 last month.

2 Likes

Well dear as a grown adult do you think it’s appropriate to throw a temper tantrum? In front of people ? Also grow up. You have three kids already the moment wasn’t special to begin with.

Getting upset like that was very childish. Being disappointed is allowed, and being upset that he didn’t get his boy is allowed. Acting like that in front of friends and his other 3 daughters is not ok.

2 Likes

I have two kids, both girls and with my second we were hoping was a boy and was a little disappointed she was a girl but we got over it.

As for your husband I can understand why he’s upset but throwing a temper tantrum is uncalled for especially infront of his other daughters and family

Soooooo Sad that you both arent Sooo excited just to have a sweet and Hopefully healthy baby.
Breaks my heart for this unborn lil girl.:broken_heart::broken_heart::broken_heart::broken_heart::broken_heart::broken_heart::broken_heart::broken_heart::broken_heart::broken_heart::broken_heart:

1 Like

That’s why a gender reveal should between a father and a mother. So it’s private and there’s time to adjust before the rest of the family and friends are told.

3 Likes

He should read a biology book; my ex-husband was pissed that I was having a girl for our last baby … “All my other kids were boys … why only girls with you” … perhaps if you hadn’t used all of your little boy swimmies with all the “bitC4es and H0es” we’d have a boy, but this time - it’s a HEALTHY baby girl (advanced maternal age)

Being disappointed is okay. But stomping off and slamming doors like a child is not.

6 Likes

He should be grateful you are blessed with a hopefully healthy baby, some people can’t have kids and would love nothing more than to be able to get pregnant.

1 Like

Yeahhh I feel like if there’s any chance of big feelings then this is something best done in private. Said with love.

2 Likes