My husband is making me choose between him and my best friend, what should I do?

Marry your best friend :woman_shrugging:t2::joy: just kidding but that’s some petty shit I would do.

Is your friend male?

1 Like

Mine had me choose between him and a friend of 15+

I need to know WHY he’s asking you to pick… there’s more than you’re letting us know.

9 Likes

I would choose the best friend he should never make u choose I lost my best friend 3 wks ago in a motorcycle accident what I would do to here her voice

Nikki Patrois wanna chime in??

He’d He’d gonnnnnnnnnnne!!! Byeeeee

This is a very hard thing to comment on without more information about these relationships. Why is he ‘making’ you choose? What happens if you don’t choose?

5 Likes

He is controlling you. Leave now…It’s only going to get worse. Let’s say u get rid of best friend what is the next thing that he would want u to get rid of. Trust me there will be something else. Until he has total control of u and u lost yourself.

2 Likes

What’s the reasoning behind this ultimatum? You can’t just say my friend and not give details. We need more info! Lol

1 Like

If the best friend is destructive to your relationship…then they need to go. If he is a jerk and doesn’t like her/him because she/he encourages you not to put up with his bs…then he needs to go. Details are important.

I definitely need more context.

1. Has there always been an issue between your best friend and husband, or did something just happen?

2. Is your best friend respectful of your marriage? In terms of giving you 2 space and respecting boundaries?

3. Did your husband suddenly decide this, a month into marriage, without any indication of an issue before?

There are many reasons that he may want you to sever ties. Some may be valid, while others, not so much.

5 Likes

Not enough details…your husband comes first. If it’s a male friend, I understand….either way I would respect it.

If he was fine with your friend before or not he’s giving you an order basically can you say narcissist and if you chose to give your best friend up there will be more to give up I promise you. Only married a month not even worth thinking a bout.
My questions to you is was he like this before you married him? Did you see red flags during the relationship that you might have missed there is always something think back. Male shouldn’t make a difference as you were friends with this person before and during your relationship before you married him.
Did he ask you to give this person up be for you married him if yes then you already seen red flags.

Best friend man or women?

2 Likes

Does he have friends

Tell him to sniff shit! Nobody has the right to try force you to choose between people that’s childish asf

Divorce he’s controlling and it won’t stop there believe me been there done that get the fuck away

Unless he has a really good reason, I’d end the marriage.

1 Like

I need to know more. Can’t give advice with just this.

3 Likes

Do you guys hang out together? He’s obviously jealous. Instead of cutting ties, invite them over for dinner and a game night and share the friendship.

1 Like

Sisters before misters

1 Like

i know there’s more to the story i’m confused why you didn’t state the reason why ….gotta be a reason

4 Likes

Not enough details to give a correct answer

2 Likes

Even if your best friend was the biggest jerk on the face of the planet, he should talk to you about it, not give you an ultimatum!! Relationships should not be conditioned to who we choose to talk to or not talk to… You’re adults!!

4 Likes

Divorce him. That’s one of the 1st signs of a toxic/ abusive relationship.

2 Likes

Is your best friend a guy? Was he ok for the last 6 years?

1 Like

Should give more context but I mean its toxic and manipulative to try to control you like that if theres no real good reason but I feel like your not telling the whole story?

1 Like

Without more information it’s hard to give advice. Seems controlling but could be jealousy… Both of which can be handled multiple ways hun.

1 Like

If you have to ask than that should be your answer

Depends? Has he cut you off from anyone else? In the six years you’ve been together has he ever requested anything like this before?
If the answer is no, I would dive deeper into knowing why he is giving you the ultimatum.
It’s entirely possible that there’s a legitimate reason behind his feelings and I would explore that before making a decision.
Once you know more, it may be possible to utilize conflict resolution and find a compromise that you’re both happy with.

3 Likes

Not enough info to give advice.

Male / female? Spending ungodly amounts of time with said person over your spouse?

1 Like

We’re entitled to have Husbands and friends. My first question is, is it a dude and have you slept with this friend? That’s the only reason I can come up with.
If it’s a chick friend you might want to explore the reason as to why he all of a sudden wants you to cut ties. There may be some guilt in that situation. :thinking:

3 Likes

Whats the REAL story?

3 Likes

Too many questions unanswered to actually give some sound advice.

You have a friend for 8 years, you meet and marry your husband been together 6 years.
Is this friend male or female? Is there a jealousy and if so why? Is your friend into drugs, doesn’t work, gets into trouble, etc? Does your husband have a good reason for wanting you to choose?

I just feel there is more to the story that isn’t being shared. I dont feel right telling you to leave him without more information. Is he controlling in other situations? I could go on and on, I’ve been in a similar situation and once I sat down, looked at the whole picture realized my then controlling husband was only looking out for my best interest.

Best of luck, look at the whole picture before making any decisions.

2 Likes

I mean if it’s the boy best friend that you let lay in your lap to tell him all your problems an you say you love em all that shii maybe could see why but if it’s not one the girls ehh fuck em. At the end of the day its gonna be yall 2 against the world not you an your friend an him tho

But why is he making you choose? Is there an actual reason

Context would be good before answering. If it’s jealousy then he can get over himself and slide on. If there’s a reason then his concerns should be heard. Hard to answer with out context

Little bit more info would help .

Why’s he being this way?

Ok so…
Best friend- yr willing to give that up then you ain’t best friends
Husband/boyfriend- he ain’t your partner if he maken you choose

The sex of this best friend’s DOES NOT MATTER
A best friend is a best friend, there ways there, especially if the best friend was there first then yr partner should no that this is not a fair request at all, and it sounds like a control thing to me…not right to ask of you

Speaking for myself, the man would be gone bc my best friend IS MY BEST FRIEND :ok_hand:

Uhhh choosing what exactly?
Why does he not want you to be around the friend?
Me thinks you didnt add that part in purposefully. Friend is a bad influence, troublemaker, dishonest, disrespectful about your relationship?

1st of all he’s an ass to expect you to give up a friend .

Why though? Has he cited toxic behaviors from the best friend as a reason? Have other friends or family members expressed concerns about this friend too? Does he resent you spending time with other friends and family members or just this particular one? If multiple people have said this friend is a problem and he has valid complaints against them, then ditch the friend.
BUT if not, isolation is the first step to codependency that sets the stage for abuse. It’s a MAJOR red flag. Is the friend actually a problem or is this your cue to GTFO?

Don’t do it. Next it’ll be your family.

3 Likes

You obviously had sex with this friend … You married your husband … Therefore you need to put his feelings first … Guys NORMALLY don’t get jealous unless there is real reasons to be … Sooo you need to decide now if your friendship is more important than your husband … Simple

My husband would never make me chose I have been married 12 years my best friend has been in my life for 16 years

A little more information. This is how I look at my marriage, it might be different in your situation. However I put my husband first in every situation. He comes first, same with him with me. I come first. If he’s being controlling and showing traits of that that’s one thing, but if your friend is toxic to your marriage and your health then I side with the husband let your friend go.

3 Likes

What has recently changed? If he has had a problem with this friend the entire time you would think he would’ve done something like this sometime in the past 6 years. Is this a male friend? Has this friend been inappropriate in anyway? These are questions we need answered to be able to actually give decent advice.

1 Like

If you need to ask the question on whether ruining your marriage over your friend is worth it I think you may already know the answer hun.

What’s his reasoning behind it?

1 Like

Get rid he is controlling you cos I bet if u turned the tables and said he had to choose u over his best friend I bet he would choose his friend as I have a male best friend and my husband said he would never make me give up my friendship with him as he knows I have been best mates with this lad since middle school and now he is my husband mate

2 Likes

Forsaking all others your husband of course

I’m sorry no one should have to give up friends whether they’re male or female, is he going to give up his friends, I bet you he’s not. This man doesn’t trust you or maybe because he doesn’t trust himself, I don’t know but I would definitely tell him this is my friend and you’re my husband I married you so table the jealousy

2 Likes

Without knowing the whole situation and just based on these keep the friend lose the husband

3 Likes

If he makes you choose he aint the one

2 Likes

The question is WHY?

3 Likes

Is it someone , you or he had a less than platonic relationship with in the past?

1 Like

You shouldnt have to chose ,I have Male friends my husband has female friends …we respect each other it’s not a problem ,I dont know why anyone would be so selfish to make you chose

3 Likes

I’d pick my best friend lol

1 Like

Thats how the control starts. What’s his reason for wanting this? Ask him to do the same thing. Once u start giving up the things that make u happy u will lose yourself .

3 Likes

That’s stupid he doesn’t have to be around her if he doesn’t want to. Don’t let him tell you what you can and can’t do. Unless he has a reasonable reason but after 8 years of being friends there shouldn’t be a reason

1 Like

Why did he wait till after y’all got married though?!!

2 Likes

When my husband married me, he got my best friend too… he would never tell me to choose… He knew that was a package deal… Sounds abusive to me…Why does he insist that you choose??? I need more info.

4 Likes

Is there reasoning behind this sudden change or is he just being an ass

Hubby comes first male friend could be an interference

He is a controlling person it is a shame you married him in

Why? There’s a lot of missing information
Edit to add: it doesn’t matter how long someone’s been in your life. People change and can become toxic. Whether that’s the husband or the friend would be determined by the missing context.
Husband could have very good reasoning for not wanting the friend around

3 Likes

So let’s elaborate…
Is your best friend a female or male? Did they do something that could affect your marriage? Are they a shitty friend to you? I doubt your husband would make you choose If there was no reason for it :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

That was pretty shitty of him to wait until you were married to drop that bomb. I’d tell him you’re not choosing and that it’s up to him what HE decides to do from there. That isn’t right.

Husband and friend hooked up at ya wedding girl time to ditch

1 Like

We need more information :woman_shrugging:t2: I’ve picked myself, ended my friendship of 13 years (at that time) with my best friend because she continuously disrespected my spouse and deemed it okay because they are cousins. I have no regrets :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

B careful with that situation…he may have a small crush on your friend

Choose the friend, or the relationship is garbage and he’ll start to control you more

1 Like

You still got time to file an annulment :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

There is a lot left out like is the friend male or female. Personally that is too much control to me

1 Like

Yeah this really depends on why your husband has an issue with your best friend.

Mine will NEVER make me choose anything or anybody

That ain’t your best friend. :smirk:

1 Like

What else is he going to make you give up? Get rid of him now.

1 Like

Guy or girl? Gay or straight?

1 Like

I’d give his ass up he sounds jealous and like he wants to alinate you to control you

What is it your husband doesn’t like about your BFF. If she didn’t do anything run. You can still have a friend hubby doesn’t have to be around her.

1 Like

What is the reason for not wanting u talking to this friend

I have found that most mates have issues with friends or best friends if there is insecurity, lack of trust, 6th sense, jealousy or ulterior motive…you need to figure out which one it is and go from there…

1 Like

Yeaaah no my oldest sons dad tried that wasn’t even married run :v: save your self because bestfriends are bestfriends and well hubby can be replaced by a gentleman who know better then to make you choose

Is there an issue with this Friend? Or is that his way of starting to control you

1 Like

He’s controlling run now it’ll just get worse my x husband tried to do that with me

That would depend on WHY like if there was a good reason okay but if not then not but if he hadnt had an issue in 6 years what has all of a sudden come up that he feels that way?

That’s a big red flag already!!!:thinking:

Too much control, no one should remain in a relationship where not even their own friends can choose, what a shame.

1 Like

Best friend wins… no question about it!

2 Likes

Later will be you or your family… give him an ultimatum ,you are his wife ,not his property and you have every right to have friends, he cannot marry you and expect to tell you what to do or not do, and make you choose between him or anyone else… it’s not right ,if he wants to do that he needs to do that with someone else… don’t let him step over you.

1 Like

What events transpired that makes him feel this way?
If she is completely innocent and he is just jealous, definitely choose your friend! If she did something completely two-faced/toxic or is someone that takes advantage of you, I’d side with my husband.
I hope for your sake that he isn’t just being controlling.

Why? Did something happen? I need more details to offer an opinion. It could be a control issue & on the other hand, hubby could be justified. And there’s plenty of gray area between the 2 extremes.

Get rid of your husband. That is the start of a lifetime of controlling behaviour that you don’t need.

And that is from me, a man who sees it in other men.

4 Likes

Need to give more details. Is either one toxic? You can be asked to choose without more info of the situation

Is your best friend a guy? Is your best friend acting in a way your hubs doesn’t like or feels your marriage is in jeopardy? More info is needed

That depends on why, I’ve had a couple of friends that my husband has asked me not to speak to because they are toxic even my “best friend” from freshman year of high school. Is he protecting you or controlling you.

There’s no need for context or anything else people! This is a man who’s been around LESS time then the best friend, dealt with the best friend for the duration of the relationship and THEN switches up a month after marriage? There’s nothing that friend did within a MONTH to make the husband rightfully demand this beyond possible cheating. Period end of story. This is controlling narcissistic behavior. Period

1 Like

I’d tell my husband bye sorry but my friends girl or guy I shouldn’t have to give them up bc hes controlling and yes he knows that I wont be alone with guys just like I wont make him give up his chick friends

Ditch the man, keep the best friend.

2 Likes