My husband never compliments me: Advice?

I’d try marriage counseling first, if he’s willing to do so.

If you’re both unhappy for whatever reason, maybe separating (to make it easier for both of you and the kids to process) would be a viable option, too.

There’s not much sense in staying together if you’re both unhappy. Even if there’s some love still there…it’s just not ideal to be holding eachother back. Kinda counterproductive in terms of a partnership of any kind.

Hope it does work out for y’all, though. :v:

Get on girl…stop with asking what Facebook wants.you have so much ahead of you to live and love.its your choice…happiness or ??

1 Like

I have had relationship breakdowns due to similar patterns. In reflection, I realised some of the problem was due to my own behaviour, some due to his.
You may find that, since marriage, your life has changed a bit more than his. Marriage tends to draw women away from their previous social lifestyle, and force them into a much more isolating environment. In most marriages, children place a far greater demand, again, on women to change their life patterns, whilst many men escape this increased demand by spending more time with their mates after work, and there isn’t the same life-preserving element that infants represent in their wife’s everyday existence, so the stress is balanced more on her shoulders.

I recall the sense of loneliness, panic, uncertainty, and despair that frequently overcame me, and how my partner would be met at the end of the day with an avalanche of my demands.
Your situation sounds very similar.
There are solutions.
In my experience, the solutions require a change from both partners, and acceptance that you are both probably struggling: you with the demands of motherhood, and he with the needs that you express, which he may never previously encountered.

5 Likes

Love yourself! Love your children!! Why are you fighting for love… thats not Love… focus on your kids they are seeing how you are on relationships and they see you running for false love… dont teach them that we have enough of that already

2 Likes

First get a forensic accountant. He is probably cheating on you. Waiting to get HIS finances in order before he leaves you.

7 Likes

Unfortunately as a man who has felt the same way about someone else, he Got bored of you somewhere along the line.

2 Likes

He is not a mind reader. Straight up tell him you’re hurt that he doesn’t compliment you. Offer to get a sitter or family or someone to watch the kids so that you can have an adult meal out together and again just straight up let him know you feel like there’s distance growing between you and that you know he is tired and feels things are fine and that for you it’s different and you’d like to maybe commit to a dinner out together once a month and work on it. We have a 2 year old and things do get very busy and we are often just go right to bed after dinner. But we bond by making hello fresh meals and watching shows together after our daughter goes to bed.

15 Likes

He might be going through depression. Would be a good idea to change things at home a bit. Change the furniture around, try and sit and watch something he likes alone with him and don’t ask him why he is not talking because that will just result in even less communication between you two. Give him space and try to find something to keep you also happy other than him. When people are depressed, you need to give them space, never ask them why they are stressed, just be ready to listen to them when they actually talk and make sure they understand that you are listening without saying a word. Whenever he opens up a little, that will be the time to sit next to him, just make sure it’s a comfortable distance, by that I mean whether it’s closer or a bit away can be different, just look for the cue as to how the person responds. Worse thing you can do is to ask him again and again about how he feels and why he feels the way he feels. If you care about someone, you have to first think about their feelings, not yours, that is unless they are getting abusive. If they start getting too abusive, something you can’t handle, then it would be time to distance yourself to a safe distance, for your sake and other person’s sake and get outside help if necessary.

Sounds like cheating. His attitude towards you depends on how his relationship is going with the other woman. 🤷

2 Likes

Ask how HIS day is going? Ask HIM if he had a bad day at work? Are there money stresses? All kinds of things can be on his mind. Maybe he doesn’t want to talk about his stresses because he feels it might add more stress on you?
Didn’t read the article, just the blurb.
Men also need to feel wanted and loved. They can’t give give give all the time and be expected to be cheery and happy every day.
Do you still make time for darss for JUST the two of you, without interruptions? Do you have anyone yoy can send the kids to for an overnight or weekend, every once in a while, so you have some time for just the two of you? That’s important to keep the relationship going . Never stop dating your partner
Counselling may or may not work. If he isn’t up for it, don’t push too hard on it. He will shut down on you if you do.
Lots of unanswered questions I have and many more questions but I stop now.
Guys aren’t mind readers and guys NEED a few moments to themselves when they get home from work. Not be bombarded with questions and chit chats. Let them have their quiet time and they’ll be MUCH more pleasant and more receptive to communicate
Also, don’t use words that accusatory. Goes bad real quick that way
Remember to take ownership of your own feelings. And remember they have their own feelings and opinions, too.and BOTH matter.

4 Likes

Do you compliment him at all? Try get him to realise your complimenting him and he may realise he’s not doing it himself. Also how long has it been going on for? Is his mental health okay? Some men find it “weak” to talk about it.

Change the front door lock and put his stuff outside.
7 yrs and kids, nope, you can’t be in love alone, don’t work that way.

21 Likes

Start thanking him for working so hard during a pandemic. Thank him for any thing you can think of. Put notes where he will see them at work thanking him. You will see a world change with a simple thank you. I changed my entire office of 50 men’s attitudes by simply thanking them for any little thing they did.

8 Likes

You are ABSOLUTELY ENOUGH, you don’t need him to tell you that!! You have amazing children. Focus on them. They are your joy💖. If your husband is having “issues” that is his deal!! You need to concentrate on what is most important …your kids!!!

Speaking from experience: if they start to act like this and have no concern for your emotions and seems to have no desire to make things work, its not going to work out well. maybe try to get marriage counseling and if they are unwilling to meet you half way with anything, consider how much damage it’s doing to you and how much you’re killing parts of you to survive everyday of this relationship. In my case it was the sign of cheating, maybe not in yours, but it’s def. a concern if they won’t hear you out or try to work with you to make the relationship better. I hope you two can work it out. Best of luck.

18 Likes

I would relax a bit. Remember covid is taking a mental toll on everyone.

My advice is to allow him to feel happiness and joy. To Remember what normal feels like. Maybe like let him go fishing with the boys for a weekend trip or let him buy a few car parts or play some golf. Or what his hobby is. When he’s happy doing things that make him happy he’ll be in a better overall mental state when he’s at home with you away from his hobbies. Maybe ask to be a art of his hobby as well but maybe separate from his hobby group. Like after he and the boys go out maybe ask to do that hobby with him during the week and show interest.

I’m fairly confident that most guys have a hobby that they want to be their “alone time” and a few others they wouldn’t mind sharing with their significant others.

Key thing is you’re aware that either he or you are unhappy. Find the joy in anything first. Then enjoy that thing together. And I would be willing to bet that, that thing or hobby brings you closer together at home when you’re both in a better mindset :slightly_smiling_face:

This same thing happened to my girlfriend and I. I hated that she fished for compliments 24/7 and she would plan things for me that took up any of my free time… so once I said “I need me time away from you” just because. Everyone needs time to process or do their own things.
I started playing hockey and Disc golf again weekly or in the morning on Saturday. Once I was done with “my alone time thing” I gave the rest of my day to her and the house :slightly_smiling_face: it was agreed upon and now everything is a lot better. She has also come out and played disc golf. And I think that’s awesome!

Find joy, enjoy the joy, enjoy the joy with each other, enjoy enjoying each other. Maybe this helps :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Its probably because he loves someone else. Sorry to say.

3 Likes

Lol people straight up saying he’s cheating without knowing the facts amuse me all the time. He Could be stressed out completely. Major stress will not let to open up easily. Try finding things which make him seem relaxed at home. 7 years is a long time so you should be able to guess at what kind of situations he opens up easily. N one more thing don’t be judgemental if he says something with respect to his stress

He he’s cheating that’s why he’s acting that way if I was you investigate before it’s too late is better to know now then later good luck.

Sounds like he likey is just stressed with work sometimes…

if he has a stressful job engaging with people all the time, sometimes people just need to be left alone for awhile and not be spoken to at all…

Tbh I can be like that, but my wife knows this and leaves me to reboot when i need it

I wouldn’t go straight to assuming he’s cheating… but he definitely could be.

Other things it could be is he no longer sees the true value of the relationship, sometimes we (people) take for granted the things we have because we assume they’d never be taken away, maybe he’s taking your relationship for granted.

My advice, tell him how serious this is to you, if he still shows nothing you will need to move on if you ever want to be happy again.

When my husband did this he was cheating which made me spin out and do the same thing we forgave each other and are 100x better than ever and will never let either of us fall into that grey area again

Sounds like he is a narcissist and is maybe cheating…start preparing for your future which may not include him. You are far to accommodating, don’t be so wrapped in him you forget about yourself…love yourself

Maybe he does want to leave … tough situation hard to tell … you have kids so even harder for him to actually say he wants to leave just level with him and ask him to level with you

1 Like

Perhaps a vacation as a couple or as a family is long overdue. I’d say take a break & go somewhere together, life is rough

1 Like

Don’t wait another day . 7 years too long.

1 Like

Get into couples counseling. Go for at least 6 months consistently too.

Sounds like the “7 year itch”

1 Like

Marriage counseling is successful 80% of the time with willing participants.

Today people are burnt out. Men and women often for different reasons, but for the same cause. Overworked, underpaid, a broke society, and daily exhaustion the required full focus and a neglect of the basics that keep relationships healthy and vibrant.

Slow down, both of you. I’d say the same thing to the world :earth_americas: also. Remember what seeds were planted to bring you together as a couple and family and water those for a while.

Then, beak the endless cycles that have permeated your daily routines. Do something different each day to counter the patterns.

There is no magical recipe, but with an open heart and mind to push forward and discover the “whys and how’s” of how you got here it’s possible to come out stronger and with a much deeper understanding of who your partner has grown into being while y’all have been busy raising the kids.

1 Like

Marriage counseling cant be the worst idea. It certainly sounds like hes checked out. This has to be addressed sooner than later or else nothing will get better.

When I was younger I was the same way. I’m 47 now and my Wife is my world. I adore every moment I am gifted to be with her.

Bit of the “7 year itch” going on maybe?

Could be cheating and he feeling guilty when home with you?

The real question is are YOU happy? If the answer is no, that’s your answer.

Sounds like an issue with him - work exhaustion or just plain life exhaustion. It will make you lose interest in nearly everything. I’ve been there. It’s hard on you and your relationships but it can be so draining sometimes that it’s hard to care about anything.

8 Likes

Get a lawyer and your shit together. Your’e not his nanny or his mother.

3 Likes

Do you compliment your husband??

2 Likes

Maybe you need marriage counselling. And not just Facebook advice

2 Likes

If your husband doesnt compliment you, time to get a boyfriend to make you feel beautiful. :smirk:

Mmm I don’t know. I’d suggest couples counseling. But there are quite a few red flags going on there

Focus on yourself. Have a ladies night with your BFFs!

Sounds like he’s depressed

When you’re the only one trying, no matter how much you love them, leave. You don’t deserve to be treated that way. Not ever. You’ve made it clear that you are unhappy and he’s doing nothing about it and refusing to talk to you. Leave and don’t go back until he’s going to counseling with you.

2 Likes

Sounds like he wants to leave but doesn’t know what to say

Time to find a good marriage counselor.

It sounds as though yall have hit that 7 year mark that allot of people hit, I suggest counseling which he may be against but it’s worth pushing if he’s worth loving, and only you know that, remember people fall in love over time, people can fall out of love, bills, kids, work, etc can put quite strains on a relationship, and if the communication is poor it only widens the gap. Some guys just aren’t big daily talkers he may need you more physically on those days, (not just sex) but grab him a drink let him watch t.v without being bothered, if he loves you he will see you are trying, and should begin to reciprocate, if he doesn’t well then you gotta look a little deeper

1 Like

Narcissistic personality. It’s not you it’s him. Can’t tell you what to do but if he won’t change get out

8 Likes

Do things that make you happy. Take the kids to the park where you can meet other moms & chat Meet friends & go out to dinner or a movie. Don’t rely on your husband to fill your days or evenings with joy. Make your own joy. The more your need or want from him; it seems to turn him off. You can be a loving wife but, start being independent. This will build your self confidence & self esteem, which will allow you to feel better about yourself, without looking for his praise or compliments. Once you start ignoring him & fulfill your days with what makes you happy; you might see a big change in him, for the better. But, if you really think he’s cheating on you, contact a good divorce lawyer. He will help you protect all your assets. I wish you all the best.

1 Like

maybe he is content with his life. My husband never used to give me verbal compliments, but he sure let me know when he wasn’t happy. We were married 42 yrs until his death. Maybe he just thinks everything is on the right track. Don’t take it as a bad omen

My husband don’t complement me anymore either he still says I’m the hottest woman but that’s usually it I have to ask him if I look pretty so I just stopped looking good and stopped doing my makeup he used to get me flowers all the time he stopped since I had my daughter she is almost 4 things started to change been together 5 years

Contradictory.
“Never compliments me”
“Some days he compliments me”.
What a load of garbage! :grin::laughing:

Ya know it’s quite possible he could have some sort of mental health issue, just remember even if he does you only owe him the amount of patience you want you are allowed to be over it

This feels like a single income household.

Stop choking the man with your emotional needs.Don’t let him get fed up with you and start taking you for granted.Learn to love yourself too.

Not to be a dick some women can be overbearing…how long are his shifts? How long are these convos and how often especially if it’s something you’ve already talked about many times and he’s answered many times…it could get annoying especially after like a 12 hour shift lol

Ok first u have to stop begging him for attention, that is a major turn off to men. Dress nice keep your body in shape and find some girlfriends. When u do don’t take up all their time complaining about hubby. Go to movies, read a book. If he is home at night, put the little ones to bed and let him be responsible for them and go out if nothing else just go to the mall and window shop. If the only way he tells u what u want to hear is if u pester him, what does that really mean to u? I’m not going to label him anything, that’s for a licensed therapist to do. He seens very selfish, does he spend any time with your kids? Stop beggin girl it is only going to push him away. I hope the situation gets better, but if not, you’ll have other outlets to fall back on.

Do you compliment him?

1 Like

Think this is more for relationship experts than on social media personally

He checked out of the marriage.

Watch the movie “Take This Waltz”

It up too your decision if you want to stay maybe counseling might help

You might just ask him if that’s what he wants.

Sounds like he’s cheating

Turn to Jesus He is the answer.

Instead of posting on fb, ask him!

2 Likes

What do you do for him ??

2 Likes

Sounds like he might just be burnt out from the same old thing all the time; work, eat, sleep, repeat. I know I can be a little short with my girlfriend after a long day/week. It isn’t intentional, I just don’t want to talk much for a few hours. I wouldn’t jump to conclusions and assume the worst before trying to communicate what you’re feeling.

4 Likes

This sounds like mental health issues, depression most likely. The bad part about that is if they dont want help and won’t get help then it likely won’t get better. Speaking from multiple experiences with Men and self experience.

4 Likes

I have been with my husband for 11 years. And we hit a patch like this. And it was just bc he was burnt out. So what I did was I called his boss worked out for him to get a Friday and a Monday off for a little four day weekend. Got grandma to watch the boys for those days and had a mini home vacation. The first day all he did was sleep. Like all day then the next day he did what he wanted to do and I did what I wanted to do. And the last two days we spent together and those two days we worked threw and able to talk about what was going on with both of us. And decided at that time that once a month or so we do a date weekend. Where we ship the kids to grandma’s aunt’s uncles and we have a weekend. And we do a family weekend as well. And it helped so much. I hope this helps you.

2 Likes

So your husband needs to communicate better. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt and say he might be mentally exhausted from work which can lead to anyone being irritable. Maybe try to explain to him that if he doesn’t want to or for whatever reason doesn’t have the energy to express himself to you than just say it," I love you but I don’t have the energy to really talk about that right now". Nothing wrong with tabling conversations as long as the intent is honest and he’s willing to show openness some other time when he does.

2 Likes

A partner whose is not bothered by your misery that you made very clear is not worth it anymore. It will only drive you more miserable and frustrated from there on … Save your sanity and self worth and move out of this relationship !

1 Like

I have friends that say this but just there other half’s they have good bad days. I said I be saying see ya later I get people have bad days but don’t take it out on others you have small kids when get in does he spend time with them it’s not about if loves you it’s does he want to be there u say your young kids are a strain you there all day and night I say straight up if this being a dad and partner to much rather you be weekend dad if you want whole package effort is needed does not need be a lot but kiss hello how was yr day goes a long way and help quality time kids then pick 1night a month film dinner a little chat don’t expect every night but if not willing make any effort I would seriously look at ur relationship we don’t all live in great relationship no matter what people say you both have to want to be there and jot coz kids bills nowhere to go as me I be kicking him out

Honestly you can’t listen to other people… we’re on the outside looking in… This needs to be something that’s your choice and you need to look at the bigger picture… happiness is the key… dont leave it in someone elses pocket

Another prime example that a man is only loved based on what he can provide while women and children are suppose to be loved unconditionally without reason. A man is burnt out and done with life it’s an issue. A man wants time alone to be by himself and find himself he’s cheating. A man wants a day to go fishing or some other hobby and he’s selfish and wants nothing to do with his wife and kids. There’s always something.

He could have sunken into the routine of knowing you pretty thoroughly and taking your presence and partnership for granted.

Maybe he also unconsciously tired of shooting the same old compliments you’ve already heard and know. It’s a trap I’ve fallen into in one of my previous relationships.

Then there’s whatever else is in his work-life balance.

Ask him about his job ? Maybe he hates it, see’s no future in it, is being bullied by a boss, see’s it as having to give up his dreams. Ask him what his dreams are. Something is killing his spirit. If its not his work it may very well be his homelife, or the absence of something between work and family. Perhaps its depression, general anxiety disorder. Certainly sounds like it. Before you go taking some of the hateful and rediculous advice being given here, start supporting and progressively challenging him on things that have softer consequences. Move up to things that have bigger or ultimate consequences. Leave the worst for last. If he continues to avoid and distract from your input it may very well be your opportunity to tell him you’ll not continue in a one sided loveless marriage. Tell him to leave. Don’t take anymore than two weeks to accomplish what you must do.

You two need counseling. You have no idea how to communicate and have no idea as to your love languages. I feel bad for your children. Please learn how to communicate either together or seperate for your children’s sake.

A young man looks at a bowl of candies. He samples a few then chooses one specific piece to be the love of his life and he takes an oath to never taste any other candy as long as he lives. After a few years he sees that bowl of candies again with a renewed interest. If you get my drift maybe you should start looking like a different candy just to keep his interest and imagination flowing

Lol that just means hes bored with u and sees u to much and never gets excited to see u or anything plus the kids dont help make stuff better and he never say it but he wants another girl something new to see tired of the same ole shit :joy:

The poor man has just got home from a hard days work and your crying at him becoz he doesn’t compliment you enough ?

Ok maybe before it’s automatically he has to be pos cheater maybe he’s stressed at work maybe his boss is raging on him and some days are fine and those are the days he’s normal and the bad days he really retreats you have no idea how much it can affect you when work seems to be falling all around you and you have the world on your shoulders.

You lost me when you said he come home sometimes with a brighter attitude.
You trying to run him away. You’ll be filing papers in a min…

I reckon he was working on his car and lost his 10mm socket. Explains being grumpy and preoccupied :woman_shrugging:

Men are more likely to show their love with acts. Like putting gas in your car so you so have to and stuff. If you want him to do things differently you have tell him. Like I feel unattractive and lonely because I feel like we don’t talk enough. Then offer a solution. Maybe we could compliment each other more and spend like 15 mins after kids go to bed just to talk

1 Like

Only married 7 years?? Amatuers…wait till your married 200 years like me

Wait till 8 years , time limit on rights of marriage, financially after 7 he pays alimony.

He’s got a little something on the side

If he don’t have the balls then you get some.

Cheating or just an narcissistic asshole. Flee!!!

Yea tell him to piss off

I didn’t know that was this kinda page… if I wanted to hear complaints I’d read my friends post… unfollowing.:wave:

He is cheating on you.

I’d say he’s cheating!

Hes cheating for sure leave his ass

If I’m looking for a compliment, I ask for a compliment lol :woman_shrugging:t2:
I literally just say, tell me I’m purty, tell me you lav me (we’re very playful) and he does and I’m happy, tadaa

1 Like

I’m going through the same shit

1 Like

He’s probably cheating.

6 Likes

This is not how relationships get. He seems to be depressed or otherwise having emotional troubles. You need marriage counseling and if he won’t go, you need to get counseling for yourself

8 Likes

I think he does love you and maybe he has come to view you as an authority figure. I think it has become difficult for him to verbalize his emotion. He probably does not want to upset you and escalate a situation. Yes he probably also is very comfortable with his life with you and has begun to take it a little for granted that you will be there. Maybe he is even feeling unappreciated or overly criticized and is shutting off.

Or maybe he is a big jerk. Idk him and you do. My advice is to self reflect and check that you are not mothering him as well as your children. It is easy to fall into and men do a poor job of communicating this problem. Some men are lazy or stupid and need this mother figure but most do not and resent it. They want to be told the ways they are good and helpful and make life better.

These are just some insights to think about and perhaps do not apply at all. Only you know.

4 Likes

You’re not the first and you won’t be the last

3 Likes