My husband planned a date night and included our kids: Thoughts?

Here comes a mom shame. MAKE HIM WATCH THE KIDS ALL NIGHT get a hotel room with a jacuzzi tub and a bottle of wine or two. Like you said mama you need it for your sanity

3 Likes

Communication is key. Or do things yourself like hire the sitter. Dont put it all on him. You are an adult too.

Everyone needs a break sometimes :heart:

He sounds like an awesome husband. Maybe he is not comfortable leaving a one and a half month old overnight? Why donā€™t you take a new ght with the ladies have the hubby watch the littles and come home to your family? Why does it have to be overnight? Itā€™s okay to need a break, a breather but your husband has to be comfortable with it as well.

13 Likes

Thatā€™s not date night. Thatā€™s family night. Both are great nights.

Ever heard of a girls night out? Leave dad at home with kids and go out! Next time dad will appreciate his night out with you and no kids.

1 Like

I donā€™t think youā€™re wrong for being upset. Nothing wrong with wanting kid-free time. Self care is important when being a great mama. Gotta take care of you and your mental health too.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve never understood date nights, me time etcā€¦ I like being home. The older my kids got the more I liked spending time with them.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not even a mom and some of theses comments have me angry as hell. Just because she wants a night to herself and her husband (how the freaking kids even got onto this planet in the first place ya know :roll_eyes:) doesnā€™t make her a bad mom and she shouldnā€™t have to say donā€™t judge me, Iā€™m a damn good mom. Go on this date with your man and your kids and even though part of you is angry just kinda take it as a family night out and yes do appreciate that he even offered. Then next time, say I have a surprise and plan the KIDLESS date yourself. That way youā€™re happy and heā€™s happy and the kids are well taken care of. And for the record, if you want a night away and need a fricking drink to yourself. Youā€™re raising little humans. HAVE A DRINK WHEN YOU WANT IT.

I will never understand the need to be away from ones own children for a whole night. Maybe he doesnā€™t eitherā€¦ I get needing to step away for a few minutes and collect yourself. I understand the need for an hour alone to shower. But I will never understand needing a whole night away from the humans you brought into the world. I think what hubby planned was sweet. To me thatā€™s the perfect man.

7 Likes

Sometimes I want to take my daughter and leave hubby home. :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

Dont feel bad. Yeah itā€™s a good idea to take the kids out every now and then and teach them how to be civilised members of society when going out for dinner and stuff, however you and hubby need alone time as well. And Iā€™m sorry but itā€™s not date night if youā€™re bringing the kids. At least heā€™s trying though

2 Likes

I would honestly go on the date he planned. Come home put all children to bed. Then you sit down and talk. Be open and honest about your feelings. Thank him for the wonderfully thoughtful date, but reiterate that you need some time AWAY from the kids.

Anyone on her that mom shames you is an asshole. Moms need to take care of themselves in order to be able to care for our children.

You canā€™t pour from an empty cup.

Ca1l a babysitter yourself. Why are u asking him too? Iā€™ve been there. Did this. So can you. Good luck!

1 Like

You need time for yourself away from being a mom.
You two canā€™t forget who and what you were BEFORE children. Because yes your children will consume about 18 years of your life, once theyā€™re grown and out of the house itā€™s just going to be you and him again.
Donā€™t let you two get lost in parenthood because then itā€™ll be 20 years down the road and you two may find yourselves not being happy together because you guys got completely wrapped up in being ā€œmom and dadā€
And not ā€œhusband and wifeā€

1 Like

Find a babysitter and surprise him.

Iā€™d be upset too. You can arrange for a sitter too though

Sweetheart not a single mother here will bash you for wanting to get away. You need time to yourself to maintain the sanity.

4 Likes

He can stay at home and take care of the kids while ur gone alnight having you time. Or find a baby sitter and you and him still go out.

You definitely deserve a night for your self. Itā€™s great he wanted the kids involved but I wouldnā€™t get mad about itā€¦ just sit him down before bedtime and calmly tell him you would like to plan something

2 Likes

Arrange the sitter yourself.

There is nothing wrong with needing to get awhile at least for a little while

Go on a night out with your friends , screw him he can stay home and watch the kids

1 Like

Sounds to me like youā€™re more worried about being able to drink than anything, you mentioned it too much.

2 Likes

I wouldnā€™t be angry, I think it sweet. My husband donā€™t plan shit with or with out the kids. Enjoy your night and then at the end say next time letā€™s do something with out the kids soon. That way your not hurting his feelings and completely forgetting the fact he made an effort but get what you want to

Who would leave a 6 week old baby overnight? Hell who would watch a newborn overnight? My baby is 10 weeks and i can barely leave him for a couple hours. I would never be able to be away all night longā€¦

3 Likes

Not sure I would be upset or angry. I would talk to him

Tell him thatā€™s not a date itā€™s a family outing. You just want kid free time . Nothing wrong with that. Ask that he please get a sitter or family member next time.

2 Likes

By talking to him and telling him exactly what you just said. Find a baby sitter and do exactly what he just did and surprise him! ā€œBabe Saturday night weā€™re going outā€ thatā€™s it.

I completely see where your coming from. We had maybe a handful of dates in our 9yrs together. We mainly do everything as a family and Iā€™m desperate for another just me and him just by ourselves. Itā€™s hard but if you have someone willing to watch the kids then let him know. I wouldnā€™t let it get to you tho, to me it sounds as tho he is thinking of everyone. How often does he get time to spend as a family? He may just want to include the kids for himself and to bring everyone together then just the 2 of you later on. Just be open and talk to him about your feelings

1 Like

Maybe he has a surprise

While itā€™s fine to get out, drinking is never going to be self healing. We try to pop out for a couple hours and grab a dinner, maybe hit a store or a movie. Bout once a month. Go home put them to bed, and continue appreciating the evening

1 Like

Why do you need a sitter for all night? Date night doesnā€™t last all night. Go out to dinner and a movie. That doesnā€™t take all night.

2 Likes

Leaving a 6 week old overnight is probably what worries him.

6 Likes
  1. You dont know that he doesnā€™t have something else planned in the near future. 2. Maybe he tried & couldnā€™t find a sitter. 3 kids is a lot to some sitters especially a 6 week old. And overnight! 3. If you want a night kid free, take the initiative & find a sitter yourself. Also, to those saying girls night out, did you ever think that sheā€™s 6 wks post partum. Perhaps she wants some uninterrupted intimate time with her husband.
8 Likes

You deserve the time alone. You do not have to learn to take your kid EVERYWHERE. You deserve a thought of your own before you start to breakdown.
Your posts just reads stress and sadness. Itā€™s totally possible itā€™s just because of not getting a break, but your little is new so if youā€™re feeling depressed or stressed out, donā€™t be afraid to reach out to your OB or PCP <3

3 Likes

Everyone needs a break !! Screw anyone who shames you. You guys need me time also for a healthy relationship!

6 Likes

We havent had a bonafide date in so longā€¦Anniversary, valentineā€™s, etc is almost always spent with son. We have gotten used to it. Dont have anyone to keep him overnight since my mom passed. But, I understand you sweetheartā€¦sometimes you just want a break! To be an adult. Last time we got a last minute overnight to our selves we checked into hotel with a hot tub. Bingewatchhed bad talk shows ordered in pizza and had ā€œsome adult time.ā€ It was great, simple. Dont feel bad for needing some time. Go on this family night and then plan a Date Night complete with babysitter for the two of you.

1 Like

Tell him you need to take off the mom hat for the night and be his wife. Just the 2 of you as a couple. To be part of the adult world again

3 Likes

You may as well stay home if u take the kids send the kids with him u stay home put ur feet up

1 Like

You have a 6 week old baby. I understand you may want to ā€˜let loseā€™ but as a mother I donā€™t think the time for a drunk bender is when bubs is 6 weeks. I think you need to compromise here too.

Would you take a few hours out and get a medicure and pedicure and maybe your hair done? Hubs can watch the kids. I know itā€™s not getting drunk :roll_eyes: but if you are breastfeeding youā€™d be putting more stress on yourself to express extra ECT.

10 Likes

Is it possible for you to arrange a sitter, last minute, on your own? Then just tell him what you told us.

1 Like

Next time you go out and leave him with kids

3 Likes

You both need time alone as a couple. I would be livid.

2 Likes

I understand me and the hubby havnt been out of the house without kids in almost 3 years! I would love a night just me and the hubby have a few drinks and what not. So itā€™s understandable

2 Likes

Every couple and mom needs special time w no kids. Do what you must to keep your peace.

1 Like

Calmly tell him that you still need alone with time with just you and him. Every mama needs a break!

1 Like

Take your own advice when you give advice to your kids.
"Use your words. "
I know you already told you husband you needed the children on an over night. Sometimes with men it needs to be said twice.

So plan a night, get a sitter for a few hours and have some time with your husband. And maybe talk to him like an adult? Christ people. You donā€™t need a full overnight thing with a 6 week old. Stop being dramatic.

8 Likes

Just tell him and get your mum to babysit x

1 Like

Donā€™t feel bad
You have just recently given birth to his , child
He could at least give you a night to feel special, loved and appreciated
You stand up for your rights Mumma

2 Likes

I would thank him for the thought and him making the plans. I would go out and enjoy your night with your family and tell him you want a date night with him only in the next couple weeks. Youā€™ll get the babysitter if heā€™ll make the plans. I think heā€™s sweet and he tried. Sometimes they are just stupid. Lol.

2 Likes

Its only been 6 weeks and youā€™re already losing your mind and NEEDING to drink ? Girl you got a long road ahead of youā€¦lol .
My youngest was 4 months the first time I got a break , and I cried most of the time :eyes::joy:
Honestly I think itā€™s sweet that he planned a date night, I would be totally thrilled if my hubby did that , especially if he included our kiddos ! But Iā€™m a complete sucker for family dates :two_hearts: If its that big of a deal and you absolutely need to drink and be away from the babies then plan your own date night ?? Find a nice sitter and arrange it all yourself that way you dont have to worry about anything and you get the night you want šŸ’ no need to be mad at hubby . Heā€™s trying :two_hearts:

12 Likes

I believe you need dates nights without your kids to keep your rekindle your marriage.

1 Like

:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes: stop. Having. Kids.

11 Likes

Hun I totally feel you! Iā€™m a stay at home momā€¦ all I do is cook clean and take care of the kids. Only time I have time alone is when I do shopping. My husband works 3rd shift on the weekends so Fri through mon heā€™s sleeping. We havenā€™t had an actual date in quite a while. We went out before Thanksgiving but that was just Christmas shopping. Itā€™s frustrating. But unfortunately I learned to dealā€¦ not much else you can do.

2 Likes

Ok so it didnt go as planned oh well he planned a family night thatā€™s great so now just turn it around and you plan the date night text him while heā€™s at work that he has a mandatory date night when he gets home when he gets there have the kids with a sitter and have yourself all dolled up.

4 Likes

Yeah I completely understand im a stay at home mom so Iā€™m always with our daughter 24/7 but unfortunately we never have anyone to watch our daughter and I donā€™t trust anyone outside of family so weā€™ve only went out once without her and went to a bar otherwise my husband letā€™s me drink at the restaurant we go to and he doesnā€™t drink and he takes care of her when we get home even though I donā€™t get drunk just a drink or two. We always take our daughter everywhere.

1 Like

Find a babysitter yourself, plan the date night yourself and then surprise your husbandā€¦ Every mom needs some alone time, and you shouldnā€™t be ashamed by asking. Look for a reliable babysitter for every Saturday or every other Saturday.

1 Like

Iā€™d legit just say ā€œI need a breakā€. We all do. You have an infant, a toddler, and a 9 year old (my oldest is 9 as well, and I feel for you). Youā€™re burned out. If he canā€™t find a sitter, he can stay with the kids while you go to dinner and drinks with a friend.

1 Like

Be straight up. Sugar coating it may not really get you anywhere. Just tell him the truth

Next time, dont ask him about the kids. Just say ā€œgreat honey. I have Grandma watching the kidsā€

Make sure you get ā€œme timeā€

Good luck with over night hahahaa XD after so many kids people are less willing and I dont blame them. But hows it a date night for you guys if he brings the kids? Thats a family outingā€¦ not a date :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::neutral_face: You guys need one every once in a while

1 Like

Completely agree with you! Moms usually bear the responsibility for child management when out so going out without them is refreshing, revitalizing and absolutely necessary!

1 Like

Why canā€™t you go out, enjoy the night, have a drink or two at dinner and let the hubs handle the baby and other kids all night?

1 Like

Maybe you should rent a hotel and let him stay home with kidsā€¦

If you can get a sitter get one! I have 3 kids and no one to take them and never have date nights. It definitely strains our marriage. Donā€™t feel bad you need a break, I know exactly how you feel. Itā€™s the moms that get help that criticize us that donā€™t. Everyone needs and deserves a break!

Take it, enjoy it, ensure next time itā€™s just the two of you by planning it yourself :woman_shrugging:

Shit happens, be happy he planned something at allā€¦

You are perfectly right to want a night or to out and away from the children

Just get a baby sitter n go on the date when he asks where your kids are ? Then sit n tell him how u are feeling ā€¦
He wont know unless u tell him

You are aloud a night to yourself mumma! Its okay to want a break, it does not make you a bad mum! Everyone needs a break every now & then, explain to him how your feeling! If need be, book yourself a motel room and leave dad with the kids and have a night to yourself in the bath drinking wine. Do what you need to do to be okay. :heart:

Iā€™d go enjoy the night since he sweetly attempted to plan a ā€œdate night for you guysā€ (it may be better than you expect). Then later when the kids are asleep thank him for the day and let him know that now itā€™s your guyā€™s turn to go on a date night without the kids the next available day. Itā€™ll make him feel useful and give you a chance to say how you feel

4 Likes

Iā€™d be suuuuper upset

Go on your date with your children show that you appreciate his efforts ā€¦ but ā€¦ you plan the date you get the sitter and then yā€™all go out!!! Moms needs breaks too

4 Likes

Of course you need time away from your kids just with your husband. He probably just doesnā€™t understand that because he gets more time away from them. Just try your best at explaining it to him. Heā€™s a man, he probably wonā€™t get it. Just plan a night alone without kids & tell him heā€™s going lol hell probably like alone time with you & want to do it more often.

4 Likes

Itā€™s honestly not a date night if the kids are with you/youā€™re on mom duty. Otherwise itā€™s just a regular night, with a change of scenery.

2 Likes

Itā€™s not a date if you bring the kids, thatā€™s a family outing. You two need a few hours to yourselves for your relationship to have adult time. You take the kids to a restaurant and you end up spending all your night caring for them and not your husband and yourself.

1 Like

Momma of teenagers here. I remember when date nights was like that. They do suck in the moment. Just remember there will be many date nights once the babies are grown. Itā€™s like pulling teeth to get them go along now. Hubby and I will be enjoying our first vacation without kids this year, they are 17,14,11. I never though this day would come. Just be patient.

We have a mandatory once a month date and family night once a month you need a refresher to love each other and away from the kids itā€™s not healthy to be with anyone 24/7. Date night is you and your SO. Family night is with the kids.

You plan what you want. Simple enough I would think.

2 things
Date night= is you and your spouse

Family night= you, your spouse and kids

You specifically asked for a date night.

Its sweet he planned something as a family.

Talk to him ask him again for a date night. Calmly explain the difference.

Example
ā€œI appreciate that you planned a family night and we had a great time together, I enjoyed myself, and the time we spent together. I would really like some quality time with you alone and we need to have a date night, just the 2 of usā€

2 Likes

Omg. U sound like such a freaking brat. Stop having kids already

13 Likes

I feel you on this. Iā€™d tell him you wanted it without the kids because you NEED this mental break. Taking kids out with you just makes it more stressful and itā€™s not fun and relaxing which is what you need.

2 Likes

I agree with everyone except, Erin Ann Kell. Me, Iā€™m stubborn. I would take a night to myself and get a motel. I would utilize the time to sleep, eat and rest. I think we donā€™t spend enough time for self-reflection.

Once a month me and my hubby try to have a date night (we he 2.5yr ASD and 1yr old) so we have like no alone time. But at least once a month we will have own mental health check like Iā€™ll have the kids with me either out about or home in play room away from him while he does something to relax (gaming :joy:) while its my turn heā€™ll watch the kids make me nice hot boil your skin hot bubble bath and glass of any :tropical_drink::wine_glass::cocktail::beer: or I go out with my sister or friends. Tell him wouldnt hurt maybe do what we do once a month couple date and then ā€œspa day/relaxā€ take turns. Plus great one on one with the kids and shows them hey its ok for me time.

Getting young kids ready to go out let alone being out is tiring and more stress than staying in!! Argh!

You need to tell him, you need couple time in order to keep sane. Its healthly and normal not to spend all your time with your children. Everyone needs time out.

Yeah. Alone time without kids sometimes is necessary.

I agree with you! Mom or not we all NEED a night here and there to destress! Just tell him how you feel and maybe plan something out together for another time, without the kids!

I can totally relate. Many years ago I had a newborn the day after Thanksgiving. Also had a 5 & 7 yr old. I was breast feeding for the first time in my life, was constantly soaked from milk overflow, wearing comfy, ugly clothes everyday. The weather was terrible so didnā€™t get out of the house for a few weeks. I finally told my husband that I had to get out, go on a date, something. The next day he asked me on a date and had asked my mom to watch the kids for a few hours. So, that being said, you hire a sitter! Do it! Right now. Even wonderful mothers need a break sometimes! Thereā€™s nothing wrong with that.

Really drink if that is all you want than do it at home and have him watch the kids spend time with thoses babies they, are only little once and as for family get rid of toxic

1 Like

You need a date night without kids

Itā€™s fine to go on dates just the 2 of you, but thereā€™s nothing wrong with taking your kids too. My son is 9 months and we have date nights regularly, but weā€™ve only went on 2 without our son. I donā€™t mind it though and love when he goes too. Maybe just explain to your husband that sometimes youā€™ll want a date thatā€™s only the 2 of you.

1 Like

I drink while my girls are asleep. and try to relax while they sleep. I donā€™t go out, just not my type I guess. and i only have a 5yr and 3yr old with my hubby wanting another. I keep telling him, he has time, Iā€™m still young, 26. I get wanting to get away from them. Iā€™m a stay at home mom, when I liked working a bit. So this summer, ima try to work somehow, side jobs. just hang in there.

Awwwww. That is very sweet. Let him do this. Heā€™s trying.

Then after itā€™s said and done. Talk to him about how fun it is but now you want some alone time with you n him.

3 Likes

Protect his feelings. He thinks heā€™s doing something nice for you. Lol letā€™s not hurt the man lol

4 Likes

Do this one as a family night then see if it can be only u n him for a date night without ur babies. Or have a night out by yourself or with the girls.

1 Like

Just talk to him like an adultā€¦ if he canā€™t understand than leave him with the kids and do your thingā€¦ half the time no one understands until theyā€™re in your shoes.

Aww. I feel you. I donā€™t think I could go over night at 6 weeks post partum, but I donā€™t blame you. Sucks that he didnā€™t get it. Iā€™d just tell him like you said it here. You love your family, but you miss your husband and being an adult who gets to do adult things. If he doesnā€™t get that thenā€¦ girl, itā€™s time to take an overnight spa trip, alone, and leave him with them. He will understand by the time you come home, and youā€™ll feel refreshed and ready to take on your little monsters again. Idk if you can afford that. You can always sub ā€œovernight spa tripā€ with ā€œovernight stay at the local motel 6, and some cucumber slicesā€ā€¦ but, uhā€¦ bring your own beddingā€¦ andā€¦ a bed. Just bring an air mattress. Itā€™ll be fine.