My husband thinks our son has ADHD but I think his behavior is normal: Thoughts?

Hi, please post anonymously. My son is just over two years old. I think his behavior is perfectly normal, but his father doesn’t and has gone as far as to suggest he has ADHD or that “something isn’t right with him.” So I’d like other mommy input. Our son likes to climb on furniture, ruff houses with his dad by standing on furniture and jumping onto his dad repeatedly. His dad says stop but laughs, so our son sees it as a game, I told his dad you couldn’t laugh if you want him to stop. We’ve repeatedly tried to get him to stop throwing food on the floor, and when you tell him no, he does it faster to try to get more on the floor before you can stop him. I feel this is normal testing of the boundaries. He likes to run back and forth roaring like a lion and does risky things like trying to dive off the couch, but again I feel like he’s two, and this is part of him growing and learning, and I think his father expects too much of him. We do discipline (I do a 2 minute or less timeout) Because I always heard a timeout should match their age, and I don’t think he will remember why he’s in time out after 2 minutes.

19 Likes

That’s normal toddler behavior and a lot of drs in my area won’t even diagnose a child with adhd until they are 6 .

2 Likes

Sounds like a typical 2 yr old boy to me. Try to take all the red and yellow food dye from his diet. That may help the food dyes really wound my boys up.

1 Like

Sounds a little more rambunctious than my two boys, but I wouldn’t jump straight to ADHD yet.

Super normal my 2 yo does the same thing.

All that sounds like normal 2 year old behavior. My son is 2 and constantly pretends to be a dinosaur or cat or dog. He’s still learning, so I say nothing to worry about.

Dont worry about it til hes older…my son is exactly like this. Developmentally “normal” but very, very extra. The term our doctor used was “sensory-seeking” Google that and feel at ease :sweat_smile: some grow out of it and some dont, but they wont “diagnose” anything til elementary school age anyway. Behavioral Therapy helped us immensely!

My almost 2 year old son does the same thing.

I think your doing everything right and I beleive it’s just a normal child’s behavior. Especially for a little BOY. They are monsters and full of energy!! Mine is the exact same way and hes 5. 2 is way to young to diagnose anything like that anyway.

That sounds normal to me. But I have dare devils for kids. My youngest was climbing her brother bunk bed before she walked.

Thats just a two year old boy. There is nothing wrong with him

Sounds like your everyday toddler.

Coming from a mom with 3 boys and 1 has adhd. Thats normal 2 year old boy behavior. If he didnt do that i would be worried

1 Like

Totally normal 3 year old boy and 1.5 year old boy :woman_facepalming:t3::joy:

For a two year old this is totally normal. Even at 3

Moral for a two year old boy

All two year olds will behave differently. I wouldn’t worry about it until he is school age and it’s something that effects his ability to learn or disrupts other children’s learning. Sounds like he’s just a lil bada$$ :rofl:

Wow sounds just like our 2 yr old girl… very normal

Sounds normal to me both my boys did all those things. My youngest is three oldest is five

Seems pretty normal, but what is his diet like? High sugar or additives in processed foods could be the cause of hyperactivity and behavioral problems.

4 Likes

My 2 year old is a nightmare for climbing and jumping of stuff I would say totally normal

1 Like

Id say u have a perfectly happy and boysterous toddler whos having fun. Perfectly normal xx

Hes 2. Wait till hes 4! Your husband needs to lighten up. Hes gonna have a hard relationship later if hes going to be expecting so much from him and putting labels on him or diagnoses if hes not perfect. :grimacing:

2 Likes

Totally normal for his age

1 Like

def normal… I only have girls and the older 2 do these things …

1 Like

Totally normal. I would worry if he wasn’t doing these things tbh x

1 Like

3 is worse. Its normal

1 Like

Normal, I would be concerned if he wasn’t doing what you described. You can’t laugh and say no at the same time or child will interpret it as a game.

1 Like

it’s way too early in the game for anyone to diagnose him with anything, including, a non licensed person.

1 Like

He is 2 that’s all I’m gonna say 🤦

2 Likes

Typical boy behavior. Although I wouldn’t let him throw food in the floor without punishment.

1 Like

Terrible twos horrible threes read about it

Sounds like he’s 2. However, if he continues to do dangerous stuff when he’s ready to start school (around 5), you may want to look into it. Only as a safety concern as some children with adhd will do things like run into the street without checking for traffic, jump off of things can could be very dangerous, grab hot things on the stove, etc. These behaviors can be extreme, so aside from locking them in a cage or rubber room, it may be necessary to intervene, if you find he continues as he gets older. But, for now, sounds like he’s may be just a bit more active. (My oldest was and still is like that, even at 16.)

1 Like

Its normal lol what does your husband expect ?? My almost 4 yr old daughter is a crazy daredevil (like her dad ) and has non.stop energy. Again, normal. The timeout is appropriate and just be consistent and he will understand that you dont throw food. As for your husband laughing one minute…hes confusing your son.

Honestly, what’s getting him tested and evaluated going to hurt? :woman_shrugging: The earlier things are caught the better and the “worst” thing is they tell you he’s normal and send you on your way with a few parenting tips and tricks.

1 Like

My 2 year old is exact same if not worse :joy::joy:

As a mother of three boys, hes just being a typical 2 year old.

My two year old wild child of a boy is the same exact way and thinks it’s all fun and games. He also is VERY rough and tough with dad… jumping on him, punching, hitting, screaming, running around, you name it! I’m told it’s normal for two year olds, especially boys. Just keep disciplining and stay repetitive with the firm “no’s” and one day it will finally click within him.

Sounds like my boy! He’s a normal 3.5 yo. Have fun, steer his energy into something he’s allowed to do

At 2 it’s too soon to tell most times…the doctor wouldn’t do the ADHD assessment until he was in kindergarten…he sounds like a typical 2 year old boy to me

1 Like

He is two? You answered your own question!

Sounds like normal boy behavior to me, if he does it too much or too rough just tell him that’s enough. As long as you keep boundaries with his behavior he will learn.

Normal but needs help controlling his impulses. Whoever said a min. Per yr. Is nuts. It takes 5 min. To get their attention. Also try to help him calm himself thru his breathing. Dad has got to quit laughing. That takes away any message about quitting.

1 Like

No doctor is their right mind would test a toddler for ADHD. That’s a kindergarten thing. Let the kid be a kid and tell your husband to hush :shushing_face:. My oldest daughter has ADHD

Completely normal. Definitely not ADHD…i have 1 i know. Hes a toddler…

Completely normal behavior.

He is perfectly normal! If he is getting more attention by making a mess or doing the wrong thing he will continue to do the wrong thing. Why is that the first go to he has a problem?? Let him be a kid, play with him and he has zero problems. Say he did would you really wanna drug your kid at 2? Figure out ways to keep him busy and stimulate his mind.

Sounds like my son and he’ll be 3 involved few months. Its normal… just keep being consistent with time outs but I feel you some days he doesnt listen for anything we say or do…

Lol. Wait for 3! He’s a boy and sounds perfect to me!!

Why must we label are children?

1 Like

Sounds like a happy normal child.

Sounds like a normal 2 year old child!!!

don’t call it terrible twos for nothing

My almost 2 year old did all of this in less than 10 minutes today​:joy: he’s a toddler. And a boy… it gets worse​:joy::joy::joy:

Oh to have those days again! Mom this is perfectly Normal!

I have 2.5 year old boy girl twins and this is my kiddos everyday. Typical 2 year old behavior🙂 No need to worry momma!

Sounds like my little girl too she’s 2 in March, I have two older boys and I’d say it’s normal x

Hahahahaha. Wait for 3 years old.

3 Likes

Definitely normal. Kids will always test boundary with parents it never stops

Wait till he’s 3 , all mine were terrible 3 's lol

Wait till he’s at least of school age to contact ur pediatrician and have him tested

Perfectly normal 2 year old behaviour! My son has just turned 2, likes to push boundaries and has no fear whatsoever! I love it!

My son is diagnosed with ADHD, hyperactive impulse type and anxiety. He’s five almost six and started showing the signs/symptoms at roughly age two or two and a half. My son does all of the things your son is doing except because of the anxiety it gets a lot worse than that. Don’t put the thought down. Your hubby may be right. Keep it in your mind as a possibility I suggest. Most doctors won’t even consider it until they’re school age. Mine was just well beyond not noticing or doing anything about. Once your little man is in school or daycare (if daycare is a possibility for you) it’ll be easier day by day to figure out.

1 Like

I’m a preschool teacher of nearly twenty years. He sounds perfectly normal to me.

His perfect what is dad doing addults aint perfect either thats normal.

Who spends more time with your son? I knew by age 2 (maybe even sooner) that my son had ADHD. Now that he’s almost 7 he has been diagnosed with ADHD, anxiety, and SPD. He will also be getting an autism evaluation in March. My son wasn’t diagnosed until he was 5 even though his Dr and I both knew and talked about it. Just couldn’t diagnose it that soon. It’s probably not likely but it’s possible. My son doesn’t respond to no either. Normal consequences for behavior does not phase him. He has also jumped off things and does other things that are dangerous but his body doesn’t register that what he is doing is dangerous. It doesn’t hurt anyone to take your husband’s concerns into consideration. They won’t do any type of testing that young but your husband’s concerns are just as important as yours.

My 4 year old climbed on the dryer to play with the buttons then emptied all the laundry into a tiny basket and was so proud. Then he took off all his clothes and ran around screaming…

Nobody can answer this for you. If you have insurance a milestone evaluation with a developmental pediatrician should be covered. Just go do it. If it is something it’s better to know now than to wait and if it’s nothing then you both have peace of mind.

3yrs are so much worse…lol no idea why they say terrible 2

Sounds like a normal 2 year old boy

Mine is 3. Hes a demon. It’s normal. He doesnt have ADHD lol

Sounds pretty normal to me…I raised two sons with what sounds like the same behaviour…you cant say no and laugh at the same time…and try giving him less foodon his plate…if he throws it on the floor, make him pick it up then take it till he wants to eat…I wouldn’t worry if I was you.
Sounds like every other 2 year old I’ve known!!:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Sounds like my two year old daughter.

Your husband would think my boys had ADHD too. They have endless energy, they rough house, jump off of furniture, ride bikes like crazy and are all around goof balls. They are normal.

Sounds like he gets away with stuff and then you guys just let it go.

You two need to sit down and think of a discipline action and rules. Post them up with pictures. Teach your child before hand.

Some rules

1. Sit on couch
  2. Feet are are for the floor
  3. Hands are not for hitting
  4. Safe hands
  5. Indoor voice

Put steps for acts if they disobey the rules.

1. Warning
  2. Choice rug/choice chair
    (Sit for age and then tell you the choices they did that were not okay. The have them tell you what they will do to make better choices)
    3 . nose to corner or spank or hand be hit not abuse but whatever u think is harder on them then a choice rug. Take something they love away. Something that will work for him.

Sounds like you guys need to actually have a discipline routine because you dont have one

3 Likes

If your son has ADHD then every child has it. It’s normal terrible 2’s.

ADHD cannot and should not be diagnosed that young. He should really read up on it before trying to self diagnose a toddler.

Sounds like normal terrible 2’s for me. Wait till he’s three. If you suspect he has ADHD they won’t even evaluate him just yet because he’s only two.

I have a 3 year old now and it sounds normal to me. I mean you can talk to your doctor about it but it sounds totally normal to me. My goes and goes and when he is done he crashes at nap time and bedtime lol

He sounds pretty normal to me. They test their boundaries at that age.

sounds normal to me. shoot my daughter is four and she still will test the boundaries sometimes. but if your husband still has concerns about it maybe just talk to a doctor. it never hurts to both of you going and talk to a doctor. it may help him ease his mind. also is there someone in his family with adhd. if so maybe he is just scared about it.

People just like to throw ADHD out there for every child that’s a little bit hyper. He’s 2 and he’s having fun and learning along the way. Tell Dad to stfu.

1 Like

2 years old is too young for a diagnosis of ADHD. Any good doctor would tell you the same thing. Your son sounds perfectly normal to me.

1 Like

My 20 month old does all of this. But she’s also at the stage where she cries at the drop of a hat over every tiny thing

My diagnosis for him is he’s kid! Lol my son does the same. Just being a boy.

I have a 2 year old boy & u just described him every day… :rofl::rofl::blush::blush::blue_heart::blue_heart:

It’s called terrible 2’s for a reason lol

2 Likes

Just wait until he is 3… Not only will he be wild but he will have an attitude also :joy::joy::joy: totally normally. If he is still doing these things at 4-6 then I would start to worry.

1 Like

Thats typical 2 year old boy :wink: lol

Also, if dad doesn’t like the behavior he needs to helo change it instead of laughing. Laughing only tells little man that dad thinks its funny and it’s ok to keep doing it. He needs to tell him no sternly

1 Like

He is normal 2 year old…

Sounds like hubs has a vagina :joy:

Normal kid. Try giving him praise when he does something good.

Get rid of the husband and see if that doesn’t help the symptoms. :rofl:

1 Like

Let him run. Outside ,in a gym or any safe environment were he can scream ,climb,throw things. Normal child behavior. He is normal. Kids are inside and expected to be calm and quiet. Totally against human nature.

1 Like

Sounds normal… but you’ll know if they cant sit still for a few minutes to color or watch TV or something where they have to concentrate

My son is 2 and act exactly the same hun, it’s not adhd it’s just kids :joy: they have crazy amounts of energy, pretty they suck it right from our poor souls but anyhow, they’re so young and have so few ideas of how to release this energy, running and shouting and throwing things is just what kids do :woman_shrugging:

I swear for the whole post i thought you was talking about my son! My son is the same way and tomorrow will be 2. He is getting better. But both parents have to really stick with the time out for the same things you say no for. One can not laugh at something child is doing at any age and expect them to stop! Some boys are just strong willed and they are boys! However, like I said you and daddy need to be on same page and discipline the same for the same things! With strong willed boys, it takes repartition to get them to understand what their doing is not okay and could be dangerous. Just breat tho, its way too eay for the ADHD talk, dealt with it and with others having it my whole life. Meds make them zombies and he isnt in school, i think some of this can be corrected and will calm down before he gets in school, if not then talk about ADHD with you, your husband and doctor!

Sounds like my 3 yr old daughter and my hubby

Let me start by saying I’m very familiar with ADHD. My oldest son (6) has it. And my youngest son (2) has a 75-100% chance of having it due to genetics.
Two is too young any type of conclusive ADHD diagnosis. Because the evaluations are all based on age-appropriate ranges.
So for my 2 year old…the more tired he gets the more he winds up. Runs faster. Plays harder. Gets rough. Even runs into things. It can take 2-3 hours to get him to sleep at night.
To me this is a “symptom” of ADHD. However it can also be perfectly normal for a 2 year old.
If this continues to 4-5 years old…then it’s out of age appropriate range and becomes a “symptom”

Now with that said, some “behaviors” can be sensory seeking (which can be diagnosed at 2). My 2 year old bites and kicks. Not in a aggressive way. Not in a trying to hurt someone or get his way.
When he bites he’s not aiming to get skin…he’s trying to chew on our clothes.
When he’s “kicking” its because he’s looking for pressure on his feet.
If you notice something like that then you might mention it to your childs doctor at their next well child check…
But otherwise.
Give it time. Keep redirecting and give small consequences for “bad” behavior (like i stop playing when he gets too rough).
If he doesn’t out grow the behaviors in a couple years…then you can worry. But for now…it comes with the territory.

2 Likes