My Husband Tries to Control What I Wear!

This question was submitted to our community via our Facebook page and/or our Answers forum. Responses are also taken from the community. If you have your own parenting or relationship question you would like answers to, submit on Facebook or Answers.

QUESTION:

"I’ve been married for 8 years and my husband has always tried to control what I wear. If I wear something that he doesn’t like , for example if it’s “too short” or according to him “too revealing” he throws a fit and instantly gets angry and demands I change or “we’re going to have the biggest fight ever”. In the beginning of our marriage I would most of the time give in and change my outfit just to avoid any arguments but recently I’ve put my foot down and told him I was tired of him trying to control what I wear and said to him that I will no longer let him tell me how I can dress and whenever I wear something he doesn’t like we have huge fights and he won’t speak to me for days for that. Am I wrong for that? Sometimes I feel like he makes me think I’m in the wrong for wearing rompers or summer dresses or shorts, like I sometimes question am I wrong for wearing this? Do you let your husbands control what you wear?????"

RELATED:

TOP ANSWERS (AS SELECTED BY MODERATOR):

The following top answers have been selected by a moderator from hundreds of responses to the original question.

"This much control? Over clothes? Yea lol I’m sorry buy he’s keeping you covered os men don’t look at you. Lose the husband. Seriously lose him."

"No your not wrong. Never let a man change who you are. Idc if its the clothes on your back."

"Sweetie he doesn’t have the right to tell you what to wear but you need to be careful because he can get violent so you need to decide how far you want to push these fights I say leave him no short dress is worth being hit"

"Do you tell him what to wear? That’s your answer."

"You are not in the wrong. Nobody should be telling you what to wear, you’re an adult. Let him be a cry baby."

"Girl trust me, run. Fast and far away. Don’t put up with that crap. I wasted 20 years of my life living with a man like that. Best thing I ever did was leave him. My life after divorcing him was the happiest I have ever been."

"time for counseling or a divorce"

"Throw the whole boy away. I said BOY because he sounds like one…your body, your choice on how to dress it (or not dress it for that matter)."

"It’s a form of control and his reaction(s) is a form of manipulation. I’m not going to tell you to stay or leave. But since it’s been this way for 8 years I don’t see you two coming to an agreement on this. And he won’t change. Been there done that and he’s now an ex."

"He sounds like a little boy with an anger problem"

Have a response to this question? Leave it below to help a mama out! Or leave your own question and get responses from real moms!

READ ALL ANSWERS BELOW: