My husband was going to buy a gun without my consent: Advice?

There should be a conversation. Especially if there are children in the home. To many children have died due to adult ignorance. I have a rifle but i taught my girls how to shoot and they were very young. Once they got over the curiosity they pretty much never cared about it again. My clip stayed in my purse the bullets were hidden. Guns are a huge respondsability and if you dont think so you should not be allowed to have one.

If this is about you not liking guns but he feels its necessary get over it hes a man they feel the need to protect and be vigilant, well good men do… if this is about money that was spent from house hold budget and will cause a financial struggle then he definitely should have planned that with you… if this is about hom needing your consent :rofl::rofl::rofl::joy::joy::joy: HE’S NOT YOUR CHILD!

6 Likes

Uhm. If I’m choosing between a man and my guns bye bitch. You’d be amazed at how many men feel the same.

If my spouse listed we would probably have a few less guns in the house and same for me we would probably have had a lot less secret trips to target :grin: just because you don’t like something don’t mean he has to not like it as well as long as he’s safe and has them put away from children and he can financially afford it then there should be no problem he’s a man and that’s what he likes definitely shouldn’t be a breaking point :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

He’s trying to protect his home and family and you’re overreacting and being a bitch. Stop being a bitch.

I agree with a lot of people. But I thought what made me get a gun and my carry permit will help.

It was a Monday, had a argument or whatever. We woke up around 2-3am and I was hungry so I sent him to McDonald’s.

Well as soon as he started to get to walk out the front door, he texted me and said there was someone at the door.

I don’t chance it, and immediately call 911. Our son was asleep in the living room because his bedroom floor was rotted out then.

She lit a lighter to see if anyone was in the living but our door had curtain to block that kind of thing. So she thought no one was awake we were asleep etc.

Our lawn mower was in out front yard, so she tried to turn it over to steal it. I run out there, still on the phone with 911, and ask her what the hell she was doing.

Of course this chick was half naked, and had a hammer on her person that we didn’t know about at the time.

She claims someone was in a truck trying to chase her to rape her, and actually gave a name that was well known by the police

I told her the cops can deal with that and that it’s not my problem, and why it still made her think stealing someone’s lawn mower was the solution.

She starts cussing me, telling to call the cops bitch, and shows the hammer slings it around, THREATENING me to come hit me with me with as she walking towards the road. I instigate a little to keep her there until hopefully the cops get there and arrest her for trespassing and attempted theft or whatever the charges I could charge her with.

She starts getting passed and takes the hammer and hits my mailbox a couple times before slinging the damn towards us. Misses like a lot, but still attempts to hit us and run.

Tried to chase her but couldn’t get the baby gate unlocked to get her.

Five minutes later the cops cruised on up.

If I had gun, she would’ve been arrested. If I had a gun, I could’ve had her under citizens arrest and that hammer would never have went flying towards our cars and house that we worked hard for.

I don’t even think they every found her. It took me a solid week and half until we had the guns and ammo to feel safe again. That gun? Doesn’t go anywhere without me per my carry permit. I legit do not feel completely safe without a gun near me in case it happens again.

We keep it out of our 2 year olds reach and make sure to not let him play with either of them and make sure when he’s old enough to understand the importance of gun safety he’ll learn how to use it himself.

Cops ain’t gonna get there in time before someone gets hurt. That bullet? Holding someone at gun point? Scares them into not doing anything to harm you or your family.

I don’t think it’s about the gun at all. I think it’s just the fact that he doesn’t consider your feelings at all, it sounds like :woman_shrugging:t4: Anyway, this is a good opportunity for you to turn the table. If there’s no history or domestic violence/abuse with the two of you and you aren’t afraid of him, then you two could take the gun safety course together, maybe a hunting course. If you have children that are old enough let them take it too. Make it family time :wink: from the sounds of things he’ll change his mind.

3 Likes

Guns don’t kill people people kill people .

4 Likes

Unless it’s a huge financial decision, meaning it wasn’t out of his personal savings? It really isn’t that big of a deal, in my opinion. I hope he doesn’t have a history of domestic violence. What’s his intentions?

What happens when the wife/family becomes the victim? There is likely a good reason this man shouldn’t have a gun…

2 Likes

Definitely OVER reacting.

1 Like

Leave him at once! He deserves better.

15 Likes

With the way the world is today you should be grateful he wants one…

1 Like

With the world the way it is today, it may be a good idea to get a gun safe and be pleased that he cares enough to protect his family.

3 Likes

If that is your breaking point and he already said he is doing it, time to kick him out.

I understand you don’t like guns but he doesn’t need your consent. He’s not a child and he makes his own money. He can purchase it and keep it in his car or maybe you could learn how to use it and you both go to the shooting range? I think you’re over reacting. Just because you don’t want it doesn’t mean he doesn’t. Does his feelings on it not matter? Why does yours trump his??

29 Likes

Years ago they were talking about taking away my right to own a gun. Never that interested in owning one but I didn’t want the government telling me I couldn’t. Here you have to get a foid card so I applied and got it. Then all these crazies rioting and looting came and I decided I didn’t want to be defenseless. Understand you not liking the gun but I want and you should want you right to defend yourself and family. Times are different now. Get a safe and learn how to use the gun. I always felt pretty safe but not so much anymore.

1 Like

The current state of affairs should make you want some protection too. Perhaps he’s feeling it’s important for his family. If you constantly feel like he doesn’t communicate then you need to tell him how you feel because it’s only hurting you.

14 Likes

If you want to be defenseless that’s your decision. But a firearm should be in every RESPONSIBLE household. If he knows you’re never going to agree, then what’s the point of asking? If he wants to be able to defend his family than why are you against it? Ignorance is not bliss in this situation. As long as he is responsible with the gun​:woman_shrugging:t2: frankly the only discussion my bf and I have about buying a gun in OUR house… is which kind is next :rofl:

6 Likes

As long as he keeps it safely put away if it’s in the house you cant really do anything. Many people have guns. And it would be nice if you agreed but not mandatory.

4 Likes

Depends. What are your reasons for not wanting a firearm? Do you feel unsafe with him having access to something so final?
I ask because, I understand both sides. I won’t own a gun because both my daughters were murdered on Nov 21, 2015. We woke up to gunshots. A 17 yr old boy who knew my 16 yr old daughter 5 MONTHS broke in & shot her, her 22 yr old sister & himself.
I’ll really big on mental health in the home, need of weapon, & safety (trigger locks, ect)
A firearm is very FINAL. We have chosen against because our own mental health could make us “trigger happy” and we could even harm ourselves.

3 Likes

I’m probably the only one who’s actually going to say this, and maybe its because my husband is just like yours, but I think big decisions like this should be mutual, or even compromised. I told my husband he could buy a gun and keep it in the house if he bought a safe too. He of course didn’t do that. Eventually he did, but only once I completely overreacted about it and hed gotten the power trip he desired. Hes a dick. That’s just how some of them are.

1 Like

If my husband bought a gun without me knowing I’d be perfectly fine with it. He’s an adult and works hard for his money. He doesn’t need my permission to buy something that would protect our family. We have 5 guns in our house and I’m thankful for it.
If I were to go buy a gun without letting my husband know he’d be perfectly fine with it as well cuz I work hard for the money I earn. So yes you are being stupid and overreacting. One day you’ll be thankful for that gun.

3 Likes

I live in Texas so my opinion may be different, but I think it’s important to have a well hidden but easy to get to fire arm in your home to protect your family from outsiders if, God forbid, anyone were to threaten y’all. My guns (all hand me down from generation to generation) give me peace of mind that I can defend and protect if something or someone were to become a threat. I also believe whole heartedly that when he purchases this gun that both of you should take a gun safety class. I think it would give you some confidence and help you feel safe with it. Just the opinion of a mother from Texas.

1 Like

Wow! We have multiple guns. I wasn’t always a fan of them and then my husband made me go to the range with him and shoot it just once. It’s now something I look forward to doing. We have children at home that was a big concern for me but we are teaching them gun safety they enjoy going to the shooting range too. Like someone above me said he’s not your child he doesn’t need your consent for anything, he’s a grown man. If it is something you guys talked about and you disagree okay. I promise you there are other things you guys are going to disagree about. That’s life. Welcome to living with/being with someone who thinks for themself.

8 Likes

Education… don’t fear the gun have them put away from children and all adults need to know how to use them!

2 Likes

As long as he know how to use it properly you shouldn’t have any problems. My husband has passed and I wouldn’t sell his guns for anything.

I have more than 1 gun which my husband bought for me. With things going the way they are in America, you need protection.

4 Likes

He needs to find a lady to go shooting with! Period !

1 Like

Without your consent? :rofl::joy::rofl: Why on earth would he need your consent? Some of my favorite times with my husband are at the shooting range. This is a huge opportunity for you to learn a new hobby, how to protect yourself, how to grow as a person and to learn that he is not your son. He is your adult husband.

26 Likes

Well…He would find his clothes at his families home…Where he can feel free to have it there.Not listening to you…shows he has NO respect for you.That alone says a lot.

5 Likes

You can be heard and still disagreed with at the same time

5 Likes

Yes, you’re overreacting. He’s your partner, not your child. He doesn’t need your consent, and you can’t forbid him to buy things he wants. If there is a budget concern, you can talk about that. If you have children in your house, you can talk about that. But he doesn’t need a note from you to purchase.

7 Likes

It sounds like you have bigger problems then that gun

I would argue the 2 of you need to open a line of communication and get your priorities straight with each other

If he doesnt listen to you and you’re feeling like this you probably need to re examine the relationship

Make a list of pros and cons and ask your self how happy you are in the relationship as a whole

Good luck

2 Likes

I guess it might be a problem if he is spending bill money. is this a big tickect item?,some guns are damn espensive, talking to you would have been nice. but I do think you over reacted,do you get permission to buy things?

1 Like

You both live in the home so why would he need your consent to have a gun in his own home? I can understand if you would want it in a locked safe box because of children in the home but you don’t have the right to tell him he can’t own a gun. How would you like it if he was to tell you well I don’t want any of your pink purses in the house or tell you know you’re not allowed to buy a new stove or any of the Hobbies you want this year? Grow the f******

6 Likes

He said he won’t be near your house because he is leaving you.Nobody likes a control freak.As long as it is legal and stored safely you should just shut up.

6 Likes

Maybe he did hear you and feels that his opinion matters also. As long as he intends to secure the weapon properly I’m not really sure what your issue is…

5 Likes

So then I guess you have his consent for everything you buy. ??? You don’t own him he’s not your child. Part of a good healthy relationship is being able to do things separately once in a while its not written in stone that he has to like everything you like n you have to like everything he likes .he n wants a gun no reason he shouldn’t have one .sounds to me you fear what you don’t know. Go out learn to shoot it go target shooting. You might find you enjoy it. Nothing wrong with responsible gun ownership

3 Likes

Do you ask your husband if you can go out of town to see your relatives? If you can buy a dress or pair shoes? Do you ask him when you can go grocery shopping?? Do you go get a manicure and pedicure??? Do you ask for his approval??? I should hope not! Same difference just different likes and dislikes!! Your both adults treat each other like responsible adults not like kids!

2 Likes

I don’t like guns but if one is to be purchased it should be a joint decision. You have every right to be heard and your concerns addressed. Anyone that says otherwise has no respect for their SO. It’s your home too.

2 Likes

If your husband wants to buy a gun,where do you come in on the equation?

4 Likes

He can keep it in his car…but yes a gun is a must conversation.

2 Likes

A house w/o a gun is asking for trouble! Most importantly you both need to understand give and take or your relationship is doomed!

2 Likes

Umm his money for one for two if u don’t like guns ok that’s u just stay away from it he don’t have to have jack crap from u to buy something he wants no matter how u feel about it will be his not yours his money not yours so
Move along

1 Like

He bought it. He needs to train to built confident and respect the Gun. Take your wife for training as partners.
He must respect the law of your state or city.

My house? First mistake! Grow up!

3 Likes

You’re tired of not being heard? Sounds like he heard you- he just doesn’t agree.

Are you sure you didn’t mean you’re tired of him not doing what you tell him to do?

He’s an adult. If he wants to own a weapon, that is his choice & right to do so. Why is what you want more important? Why does it have to be your way?

YOU are clearly the one unwilling to compromise here. Instead of meeting him in the middle, you took a hard line on it. That isn’t how marriage works. No wonder you’re at a breaking point.

4 Likes

Does he do drugs or drink heavily? Is he violent with you or others? Then I would worry. Otherwise, ask him to help you learn about gun safety. You might be glad you did.

You can’t infringe on his second amendment right

I never wanted guns in my home. If before marrying he or she agrees to that then we move on if not adios. I dont want or need one so if he agreed to not have one before marrying then he is way outta line.
Now n days people are on edge n think a gun will save them. It wont.

Buy the gun. Take a course and learn how to use it. I’m a single female and I have a gun and I love it. Security and peace of mind :+1::+1:

7 Likes

Yes, you’re over reacting!

5 Likes

He doesn’t sound like the type of guy that would go to counseling so I say just divorce him.

With everything going on in our country today, take it as a blessing he’s willing to protect you.

10 Likes

Take on line firearms safety course. Gain confidence with safety

2 Likes

I would be nervous. He sounds like he doesn’t care about you or your opinions. If he gets mad easily you could wind up dead. I would not trust him with it.

3 Likes

Yeah you’re overreacting. Especially with everything going on in today’s world. But he’s also a grown ass adult and doesn’t need your consent just because he’s your husband. You don’t own him and you seem to be the one not caring about his feelings. You told him no this no that no this but no hint of you actually talking about it.

2 Likes

As long as he keeps it in a safe place it shouldn’t be a problem. Make sure he knows how to use it properly. With the way things are going in this country right now it’s better to be safe than sorry.

Yes u r. Get over it. It’s his home too i bet.

9 Likes

Why the hell would he WANT a gun.

3 Likes

When the Dems are at your door to take what is yours, a gun is your only defense.

Sounds like he’s all about himself and nobody else. You might want to recheck your marriage

Stay out of the MANS business. You have time to snoop then you have time to sweep!

If the Demorats get ahold of the Presidency you might be happy that your husband has a gun.

1 Like

I’m just here for the comments, as I sit near my gun safe that’s bigger than me, holding 26 guns. My hubby and I can both shoot. Some of them are in my name. I’d rather have my guns when things go to crap, instead of being caught with my pants down. :woman_shrugging:t3: Go ahead and put a “gun free household” sign in your yard and see how long it takes for someone to break in.

4 Likes

See you don’t say what he does for work if he wants to carry a gun on him legally and leave it in his desk at work for protection you shouldn’t question it if he said won’t be near your home that’s is the point trust comes in witch sounds like you don’t have

Doesn’t need your permission, and for you not to “allow” is a joke.

Yes you are overreacting

You should thank him.

1 Like

Maybe you wouldn’t be so afraid of one if you learned how to use one. These days I would be more afraid of not having one. My kids know not to touch our guns. And they are loaded and put up way out of their reach. But not out of ours. You never know when you will need one. I have had to use one. And it saved my life.

2 Likes

In SC if a man doesn’t own a gun… he’s a woman. Lol…
And 80% of the woman I know carry too. If he’s not an abuser, felon, and it’s feasible to your budget. Let it go… get a lock, hide your bullets.

1 Like

Your overreacting. Its just a gun. And honestly now a days it may be safer to own one. If your worried about a kid getting it then get a gun cabinet for it. Most guys like guns so telling him no isn’t gonna matter lol I have a gun. My husband wants to get himself one. He was in the army and loves guns lol. No big deal.

1 Like

I don’t think a spouse should do something you aren’t comfortable with. As far as guns go, I feel safer if we have one than if we don’t. But that’s just my personal opinion :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

I feel safer having a hand gun in the house.
My SO is also responsible though.

Good Lord people. She didn’t ask for everyone’s stance on guns. She and her husband came to an agreement on something and then he went behind her back and broke the agreement. And that is understandably upsetting. This is clearly not the first time he’s done this, and he seems to make her feel silly, stupid, or crazy for expressing that his disrespect upsets her. That’s gaslighting. Honestly this whole thing sounds like a super toxic situation.

6 Likes

We personally support the 2nd Amendment in our house. We have about 7 long guns and a pistol to carry when we leave the house. So my husband buying a gun isn’t an issue, we have a price range he can stay in and it not be a problem and he also knows he needs to make sure we have the money and all the bills have been paid that week.

Guns aren’t scary, they’re not dangerous unless you don’t know hownto handle them. So I don’t see the big deal :woman_shrugging:t3: let something traumatic happen where you need to defend yourself and you’ll change your mind about having one in your home.

1 Like

You’re over reacting… Like way too much… Guns are a good investment. My ex had at least 50-100 of them. If your bills are paid and he has the extra money let him get one. It’s not just for his protection but possibly for your own. Unless he abuses you. In that case you just need to leave instead. It would be beneficial though if you both took a gun safety course and went to the shooting range together.

2 Likes

What? I want guns in my house. If someone breaks in you want to defend yourself. I know someone who would be dead right now if there was no gun in their house. What are you going to do when someone breaks in and you are defenseless?

1 Like

I wouldn’t care if my husband went out and got one without asking. He’s a grown man and as long as he doesn’t put us in a tight spot financially I don’t care. He works hard he deserves to treat himself.

2 Likes

Its ur choice of wording thats getting u bashed.
“Consent”… like he needs to ask u and u will allow…

If u would have said my husband decided to purchase a gun without first talking it over with me or even saying purchased a gun without my knowledge… but when u drop the word Consent… it sounds pretty one sided to me as u get the final say

2 Likes

Thats absolutely ridiculous! Why would u not want a gun? Did you grow up in a gun free home? Usually people who grew up in a gun free home and was never taught proper gun safety this happens. Take a gun safety class…learn and get to know fire arms. You never know what will happen in this world where you have to protect yourself or a loved one!

4 Likes

Firearms are essential in my opinion. I own them. Dont be fearful. Learn about them and how to use them n u will feel differently. ((Hugs))

1 Like

Im sorry just like youre an adult so is he. He doesnt NEED your CONSENT to do shit. You dont own him… In this current climate in america i dont blame him id tell u to fuck off and go get my damn gun… Hope he brightens up sees the HUGE red flag youre waving in his face and runs in the other direction

With the world the way it is, why wouldn’t you want some sort of protection for your family?!? I have a gun, if your uncomfortable with a firearm, take a class, get educated…learn to use one safely…I’m sure there will be a time you will grateful you have one. Your husband can get a lock box to keep it in, for safety reasons…

So if someone breaks into your house how will you defend yourself? Also it’s your shared house with your spouse, not just your home. If he provides a safe and is responsible it’s not really a decision for you. He wants to protect himself and his family.

1 Like

Tbh, the way the world is rn. If we were allowed guns, I’d be happy if my man brought a gun. As long as it’s locked up safely, and away from my kids.

Now you need a gun in your house for protection this is now become a crazy world we live in

Something about this didn’t come off right to me. First off she said he got one without her consent. Second as a grown person I do not ask permission on what I buy. Now that being said I will discuss the matter with my so and get his opinion as he does with me as well. Also if he bought a handgun it should come with a trigger lock and a safety. Purchase a small gun case and lock it. Then as the wife you should learn how to use it properly should the need arise.

Yeah, you are over reacting.

So buy something he isn’t comfortable with…like a really expensive purse.

In today’s world… its better to have a gun in the home. Id probably purchase one also without your concent. He is a man, he probably feels like he can protect his family better with a gun.

There’s alot of people buying guns now because they are scared they won’t be able to later. Instead of shutting out his wants and needs, like you claim he’s doing, maybe you should sit and think of ways to have it put safely in the house and talk about taking gun safety classes.

You are over reacting
Just make sure you have a good safe for it and your kids don’t know the code…make sure you feel comfortable around it (go to the range, take a class) and if your kids are old enough teach them the safety of a guy.

I grew up with guns in the house and my dad always taught me “treat the gun as if it’s always loaded”

I don’t have any idea what your relationship is like, but if he is a keeper, then don’t push him away over protection. There are all kinds of ways to safely store a fire arm. I personally store mine in my purse.

1 Like

Unless your husband’s has a drug or alcohol problem, he’s more than capable of deciding for himself if he wants to own a gun. After all, won’t you turn to your husband for protection in your time of need? Allow him to be your protector.

1 Like

I told mine he is allowed to buy a gun but it can’t go in the house only because we have two autistic children and they can’t stay out of nothing

1 Like

I think ur over reacting. Maybe he wants one so he can protect his family and his house. Me and my fiance wants a gun cuz of everything that goes on where we live. We constantly have cops in our trailer park that we live in. It was scary when we was living next to this nice couple the dude was in trouble so he hid in the attic and their attic connects to all four apartments so the cops surrounded the whole building it was just me and my kids at home we literally had to leave out of our place so the cops can search for him. I think guns are allowed in house holds to go hunting or defend urself if someone tries to break in our something.

I’m just saying all the people out there stupid enough to actually make the comment saying our kids know better so did all the kids that went on school shootings they knew they weren’t supposed to touch those guns but they did

1 Like

Sounds like the deeper emotional stress needs to be addressed. You need to either oack up and leave or pack his stuff and chamge the locks. If it is bad enoigh that you have to ask the opinions of strangers it is bad enoigh that YOU need to make some changes.