My kid is driving me crazy with lying, help!

Anyone else have a kid that just lies constantly? What do you do? Age 7 It drives me crazyyy
33 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. My kid is driving me crazy with lying, help! - Mamas Uncut

My step daughter does this. When we know sheā€™s lying we give her the chance to tell the truth. If she still lies we explain to her that when you lie as an adult there can be some really bad consequences. So we give her 3 consequences to chose from. No toys for the rest of the day. No tv for the rest of the day. Or time out for 5 minutes. Sheā€™s also given the option to have her consequence taken back if she tells the truth before the end of the day, so that way itā€™s rewarding her for telling the truth without actually making it a huge deal and giving her different rewards for something she should have done in the first place. Sheā€™s 5 and it works pretty good for us. Most of the time sheā€™ll tell the truth after a couple hours.

10 Likes

Take away their stuff. You want to lie bam you get your phone take. Away, no wifi. No tablet got to teach these younins you canā€™t do that. They got to live like cave men if they want to lie. Make them do chores, clean the house take the garbage out go old school on their butts.

9 Likes

My step daughter did. It was the age. She is better now. I showed her explains of when people lied to her and how she felt. Took a little but she is so much better now. Other than the normal kid little lie here and there

2 Likes

Does he know that his ears turn purple when he lies!? Itā€™s only adults that have strong enough eyes to see it though(usually results in a change in body language or trying to hide the ears) I know itā€™s hard but probably a phase. Tell him he has to tell you the truth for you to understand and help him. I always tell my kids for me to advocate for them in any situation I must know the truth otherwise I canā€™t stick up for them. Good luck :four_leaf_clover:

2 Likes

My almost 7 year lies and is teaching her almost 5 year old sister as well. I call them out on lying and let them know that lying is bad and will only make matters worse. I let them know that even when telling the truth might still get them in trouble, they wonā€™t be in as much trouble as to if they lie about it. I explain that lying doesnā€™t cover up the fact that it happened, just makes things worse for the lier.

Tell them you love how their ears turn red when they lieā€¦they cover their ears.

This too shall passāœŒļø
Just wait until 13šŸ˜¬

2 Likes

I would take their toys away. This was before phones. They are grown now. But, I took games or game systems away. It didnā€™t do anything. My daughter came to me and confessed she was a constant lier. Please help. I laughed and said I didnā€™t realize it was that bad. She cried. She said she couldnā€™t stop. I wish I had spanked them. 1 or 2 licks. Something more than taking stuff away. Try taking it. If she does continue try corner or time out. Then spanking. But every child is different. Let them know you wonā€™t believe anything they say ā€¦ever.

Itā€™s a phase unless itā€™s an influence :wink:

4 Likes

Get it under control now and keep in top of him so he doesnā€™t lead a life of crime later. Find things of interest that are mentally challenging and interesting

2 Likes

He is just a child. He will grow out of it.

My 4 year old tells crazy stories all the time that never happened. I just chalk it up to a very creative imagination.

1 Like

Tell the story of the boy who cried wolf :wolf:.

Make it safer to tell the truth.

My daughter likes to make stuff up to be funny or creative. I tell her thatā€™s fine as long as she tells the real story right after. Thatā€™s our compromise. If I call her to say goodnight and ask how her day was, she might say ā€œI broke my leg todayā€ then tell me sheā€™s just kidding. Sometimes kids donā€™t mean harm when they make things up.

Sometimes they lie about what theyā€™ve done or neglected to do because theyā€™re afraid of punishment or shame. If you make it so they can tell the truth without shame or punishment, theyā€™re a lot more likely to be honest.

3 Likes

My step son does thisā€¦not all the time though. I tell him his eyes change red when he is lying so when I ask to see his eyes after I know heā€™s told a big fib he squints them to hide the ā€˜redā€™ and thatā€™s how we know he is lying :laughing: give them a chance to tell the truth and if that doesnā€™t work show them consequences

8 Likes

One reason why kids do lies: Itā€™s because they are afraid to tell you the truth coz they know youā€™ll get mad and they donā€™t like the way you treated them when youā€™re mad/angry. Sometimes, we parents are the reasons why they chose to lie than tell the truth. :woman_shrugging:t2::v:t2:

7 Likes

I legit have the same exact problem with my 7 year old son. When I ask him why he tells stories he tells me ā€œcause I like itā€¦ā€ Iā€™ve been working with him for well over a year. His biological dad was a compulsive liar. Lied about dumb stuff all the time. Like tried to convince me heā€™s great friends with lead singer of Papa Roach and even wrote one of their songs for them. :roll_eyes: I think the worst lie my ex ever told me was for the first 3 months or so we were dating he told me he had been in the marines and had done four tours in iraq. And I believed him like a dumbass. I finally started putting the pieces together when I caught him lying about other things and never found any evidence of him being in the military ever. So I keep saying itā€™s in the genetics for my son. He tells stories like his dad does even though he hasnā€™t seen his dad in over two years. I work with him though. Tell him every time I know heā€™s lying and I give him a chance to correct himself. Hopefully itā€™s just a phase and heā€™ll grow out of it soon.

My parents said if I told the truth I wouldnā€™t get punished. Made me a very honest person. If it seems compulsive and constant, find a child psychologist.

My daughter was like this and I know when she does XXX I give her 3 changes to come clean and tell me if she donā€™t then she get stuff taken away or good one was her lie was not upsetting anyone so when she told me the truth on a different Avent I said I not to sure if I should believe u because u lie before and that really upset her cos I didnā€™t believe her when she was telling the truth xxx

I tell my 6yo that lying is bad. She asked why, i asked her how would you feel if i lied to you? She said she will feel bad. I hope sheā€™ll remember that little conversation while sheā€™s going up.

1 Like

I thought it was guna say
Age 14 or 15 :rofl: i had to read that again Lol :laughing: to make sure it was 7ā€¦ :joy:

1 Like

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. My kid is driving me crazy with lying, help! - Mamas Uncut

I told my son who has high functioning autism that everytime he lies his eyes turn red so if he lies he will continously blink so I know and I can say to him your eyes are going red do you want to correct yourself before being punished for lying and then the truth comes out xx

11 Likes

They may be trying to get attention. Negative attention is attention to kids. Do they need more one on one time?

3 Likes

I used to tell my son the devil is going to grab ur tongue and make u choke when I lieā€¦ it was the best thing I ever said

5 Likes

My son told some whoppers at that age full well knowing he was doing it lol I just told him the truth prevails so you might want to rethink it. I taught him about karma and what goes around comes around. If itā€™s not true you donā€™t tell that. Took him a few times of testing the water but he was given a conscience so it was up to us parents to enforce it.

2 Likes

My daughter is 6.5 yrs old and tried a BIG lie, so I told her you will get in more trouble than if you tell the truth. Plus we started telling her at age 3 if you lie your ears will turn red. I know when she is lying to me. But sadly the big lie she said at school on her 2nd day ever, little boy went home and told him mom, the mom called the teacher and then the teacher told the counselor and then they called meā€¦.it all got straightened out but since then sheā€™s not told a lie. We explained how we donā€™t lie, how the out come of them can be and some lies can cause consequences bigger than mommy or daddy can fix.

When my daughter was born my son was 3. When he was 4 we put a camera in his room. We lived in a very small house at the time. When anything happened and we asked him we could see the truth on the camera. This has made him a very honest child. It taught him that lying doesnā€™t work. And it also helped him not to get in trouble for thongs he didnā€™t do.

same omg mine will be 7 in November and iv done tried everything and nothing works so if you find something that works let me know

I tell my 3 children when they lie there ears turn red so they would try to cover them. Mine has consequences to face if lie. They will now say jk when lieing and than say the truth

Following my son is 8

I JUST CANā€™T EXPRESS MY HAPPINESS
I feel very joyful to share this wonderful testimony i have been married for 2years and I have a break up with my husband months ago and i was worried and so confuse because i love him so much. i was really going too depressed and a friend directed me to Dr bathsheba and i made all my problems known to her and she told me not to worry that she was going to make my husband come back to me. in just 24hours at first I never believe her exactly 1 day that she said i receive a call from myhusband and he was appealing that he want us to come together again with so much love and care. i was so amazed i have never in my life believe in miracle but now it have just helped me and i am so glad i took the chances and now i believe in this great Dr bathsheba iā€™m glad to share this TESTIMONY because i also want most people out there to be happy just like i am today. many TESTIMONY have been given about these same Dr bathsheba i am so happy the world need people like this Contact Email: priestbathshebahelp@gmail. Com
WhatsApp phone number +442378705502

Just wait until they hit puberty :roll_eyes::exploding_head::neutral_face::gun:

1 Like

I put vanilla on my daughters tongue when she lies. It does not hurt at all itā€™s just bitter. I tell her when gross lies come out they sound as gross as that stuff tastes. She doesnā€™t lie very often anymore. She is 5. I will not tolerate lying

1 Like

I have an 8 year old like this. Sheā€™s a good kid, but we will watch her do something or hear her say something, address it, and her response is always ā€œI didnā€™t do/say thatā€ even though we witnessed it directly. In that aspect, Iā€™ve been calling her out on her lies like ā€œI just saw/herd you, donā€™t lie about things. Lying gets you into trouble and there are consequencesā€. I try to point out that I KNOW she is lying, correct her and then explain (every single time) why itā€™s wrong to lie.

1 Like

My daughter went through this when she was young. She always got in trouble for lying & we stressed the importance of her always being honest. I got her a few notebooks and some cute pens/pencils & told her if she wanted to make up stories to write them in the notebooks but everything thing that came out of her mouth had to be true. It worked for us

4 Likes

Be consistent and make the punishment worse when they lie. I had to drill it into my kids head that it would be worse if they lied to me

2 Likes

Kids are motivated to lie to avoid punishment. Make the punishment for lying the bigger punishment/consequence.

3 Likes

My now 6 year old kept lying when she was around 4. So I told her that every time she lied her eyes turned green. So anytime I thought she was lying, Iā€™d ask to see her eyes. I also explained that lying was bad. She got tired of showing me her eyes and getting caught in lies so she quit.

1 Like

My 7 year old just says idk :woman_shrugging:t3:, every time I ask her why she did something that truly deserves an explanationā€‹:upside_down_face::upside_down_face:

1 Like

I told my 8 year old along time ago that when he lies his ears turn red and still to this day when he lies he covers his ears

3 Likes

One of my kids went through this phase and I made a light game of it while checking if their story was true. I would say hmm but I wonder how xyz happened, I presented silly scenarios, and it usually lightened the mood to where they smiled and told the truth. Then I told them they were being silly and moved on. It was just a phase. It doesnā€™t mean your kids is doomed. If it continues on, Iā€™d address it more seriously.

4 Likes

Teach him what be lied to feels like.

Promise him to do or go somewhere he wants to goā€¦ Have him look forward to it over a day or two reminding him of the fun he will haveā€¦ then as day approaches. Tell him to get readyā€¦ and get dressedā€¦ when heā€™s ready to go and asks when are we goingā€¦ Tell him youā€™re notā€¦ he will sayā€¦ ā€œBut you promisedā€

Look him dead Iā€™m the eyes and say . ā€œI lied. How does it feel to be lied too.ā€ Let him ponder that.

Kids donā€™t understand how their actions hurt others

They donā€™t understand biting hurts until theyā€™ve been bit. They donā€™t know how long effects others until theyā€™ve been lied too.

2 Likes

Tell him when he lies his nose will grow.
Very slowlyā€¦ but eventually it will be gigantic. Tell him/her you can already see the difference.

Lying is one of the only things my husband and I have zero tolerance for. It causes distrust and is an easy and terrible habit to fall into. We have explained this to my nearly 6yo and give her a chance to tell the truth and if she doesnā€™t she loses a privilege/receives a punishment.

3 Likes

7ā€¦ I have a 7yr old. I think itā€™s the age testing our limits and patience. I canā€™t stand it. We told him his ears turn bright red so we can catch him but as for consequences we base it off of the severity of the lie. Typically gets put in his room or gets something taken away.

1 Like

15 yr old. Lies about everything.

1 Like

This sounds like the kid across the street from me.

ā€¦daughter is 11. Lies over the stupidest shit!.. I just do the whole lecture thing ! tell her I WILL ALWAYS FIND OUT ā€¦ then I constantly ask her if it was worth it !?!
as sheā€™s doing the most hated chores around the house - cleaning toilets, cleaning cat box, scrubbing the floors with tooth brushesā€¦ the only thing that saved me from getting in trouble was the fact I HATED my dadā€™s lectures! So much !..

Sounds like your little one is afraid to talk to you. ā€¦no judgment
Talk to them constantly tell them you love them no matter what mine went through that phase. And this worked. Get an open line of communication

1 Like

We use to make our kids write sentences. My oldest is 20 and my youngest is 12 they are more honest then most adults I know.

1 Like

100% the age!! And itā€™s the constant reminder of the consequences of a lie.

Take away all toys and electronics. And if lying make punishment harder than if they told truth my son copies a full page in dictionary for lying

1 Like

First why? Does he/she feel in trouble or fear punishment. Paraphrase,ā€™. ā€œTommy is mean to meā€. So youā€™re saying youā€™re angry at Tommy. Then talk about it. Find out

1 Like

My mans 7 year old lied to me after getting into bubble gum and snacks for breakfast before her dad and I were awake. The 5 year old ratted her out and she still lied straight to my face so she had snacks taken away for the day

1 Like

Phaseā€¦ my daughter does it and my boys did it

1 Like

Do it back tell ur child your gonna do something make sure its something they wanna do or want then dont do it n when they say but u said u would explain this is why people dont lie im going threw this now with my 9 8 6 and 5 year old. So for the past 3 days we goin to the park n guess what it worked cause they lie everyday on eachother lol n me n dad catch them so we know the truth we remind them how they lied they said oh :frowning: so i said u dont like it do u my 9 yr old n 8 yr old said no i said if u dont want people to do it to u dont u think u shouldnt do it to other people they understood

2 Likes

Oh heckā€‹:rofl: 7ā€‹:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: thatā€™s hilarious

1 Like

I have cameras through my house. My kids think I can see everything. My 9yo wonā€™t lie. Her tablet is too important to her. Sheā€™s lost it once. It took her months to buy it back from me. My almost 8yo tries. I just say ok Iā€™ll check the cameras. You know if I find out you lied youā€™ll get punished worse. Then he says "I donā€™t remember doing it " I know heā€™s lied then. He gets a consequence for both lying & the act itself. I tell him all the time if you admit to doing wrong it wonā€™t be that bad. He wonā€™t. Heā€™s stubborn just like his brother. Heā€™ll scream, throw a fit but wonā€™t admit he lied. Itā€™s madening.

When my kids would try to lie to me, I refused to believe anything they told me for about a week. If they said they wanted ice cream they got something else. If they wanted hamburgers at McDonaldā€™s they got chicken chunks or fish sandwiches. If they said they wanted chicken for dinner I fixed meatloaf, hamburgers or spaghetti. I told them that since they had lied about (whatever it was) that I couldnā€™t believe them anymore. It worked, no more big lies but I do know they told small fibs at times.

3 Likes

Tell ā€˜em santa isnā€™t real and see how he likes it :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Not sure following need same help at times with my 7 year old and a couple kids I watch

Mine were told the story about ā€œthe little boy who cried wolfā€ and I told them dishonesty also makes people ugly in the inside. Itā€™s easier to tell the truth and not have to remember a fib. Get it over with telling the truth, or get into more trouble by lying.

My 7 year old lies and her little sister has started recently, I had to buy a camera

Same!!! Here for the comments.

Iā€™d say they wanna see what they can get away with . My kids are almost 5 and 3 &1 the oldest of course understands way more , I used to have a camera set up in their room at our old house so whenever theyā€™d fight Iā€™d know exactly what happened , he got used to the camera and started just coming clean about everything . Well we moved and no longer have cameras but I keep my kids and keep them under the impression that I now have cameras all over the house which I donā€™t have a single camera here , not yet anyways . So now if I feel Iā€™m being lied to but cannot prove it , I tell him Iā€™m going to check my cameras and if I see heā€™s lying heā€™s in big trouble , so before I grab my phone out to pretend like Iā€™m going to find the truth out for myself , HE TELLS ON HISMELF ! or if heā€™s telling the truth he will say yes check your camera so you can see Iā€™m not lying ! Maybe some mama out there will see this and give it a try , a little mind game never hurt especially when trying to keep little ones in line without having to be too hard on them

1 Like

They think itā€™s game of I tricked you

Intention. Is it just imagination or lying with bad intentions?
My daughter is 7 and sometimes she tells me things that she imagines like its true. I just listen. Butā€¦ if she tells me stuff that with bad intentions like to put somebody in trouble or to get away with something she did thenā€¦ we gotta talk.

Ugh my boy is 7 and he lies over the stupid stuff. Mainly toys or not being mean to his little brother. Gets caught with every lie and he donā€™t care. Can b put in time out and loose everything, still doesnā€™t phase him.

2 Likes

Tell them when they lie a star appears on their forehead that only adults can see. A kid was told this and covered his forehead when he lied :joy:

1 Like

Lying isnā€™t good however keep in mind kids lie for different reasons . Attention for example as well as illnesses some kids canā€™t control it. If itā€™s out of the ordinary for her please have her checked.

Unfortunately you might have to give her a dose of her own medicineā€¦

Tell her you are going somewhere she REALLY wants to go then take her to the grocery store, or a doctorā€™s appointmentā€¦

When she gets upset about it, you tell her that feeling is what you get inside every time she tells a lie.

If she seems to ā€œget itā€ take her for an ice cream, sit down & apologize for lying & letting her down, & explain thatā€™s why we donā€™t tell lies to people in our lives, because it hurts their feelings & makes her a mean person, & you know sheā€™s not a mean person in her beautiful heart.

1 Like

My son is 9 and this is our biggest issue we have been dealing with for a few months. It drives me insane! Lies over everything for no reason.

My kids write sentences for lying, starting at a 100, more if itā€™s a really bad one.