My kids father passed and his mom is trying to get his estate: What should I do?

Contest to it!! Your kids have a voice in this, that is you.

1 Like

It belongs the his girls

Hey. Don’t despair. If ur children’s dad had a will n left them something the gran can’t contest it. N if the person ensign 2wind up the estate they would check his assets n money n divide equally. I lost my hubby in 2018. N the lawyer had asked questions about him having any other children other then my 2.so what ever he left 4 me came 2me n 2my children

The estate belongs to his children!!
Contest it!!

Contest it… Your children deserve something. :pray:t3:

1 Like

Go after all your babies deserve! You are their voice & they are deserving! :pray:t2::heart:

2 Likes

It belongs to his children. Not his mother.

1 Like

Unless his will says differently his kids would be in direct line to inherit. Not his mother. Get an attorney and protect these kids rights.

3 Likes

I would contest it. It’s for your kids. I know if I had the chance for something like that for my kids I would for sure

1 Like

I’d do it for the kids

Contest it for your Children’s future. They should also get his social security benefits until they are 18 and if the go to collage they get them longer.

3 Likes

His kids deserve to have THEIR fathers items specially since they didn’t get to have him there

1 Like

That money should go into a trust fund for the children until they become a certain age they cannot touch it so it can then be there for their college needs or deposit on a house if they choose. You’ll likely have to get a lawyer to get it to happen.

If I’m not mistaken the way the probate should work if he died without a will it goes to his children… this is what happened with my grandmother passed.

CONTEST IT. They have more of a right to it than she does

2 Likes

Contest that. Your kids have every right to his estate. Your kids are next of kin and your kids grandmother should be ashamed of herself.

I absolutely would contest it bc his children should have it instead of his mother.

1 Like

Griddy grandmother get what belongs to ur kids

1 Like

if he died without a will, its called he passed intestate…his direct next of kin, his kids, are the heirs of his estate, but, it would be put into a trust with an executor of the estate…let his mother contest…she aint got no case or a pot to piss in for probate…def. get a lawyer dont let granma get her greedy hands on your kids rightful inheritance!! im actually going thru this as we speak for my daughter

Get a lawyer. Go to legal services. You need to probate an estate that big or if it has real property. You can contest, if there was no will or even if there was and he didn’t Include the kids. Because you are divorced his mom may have the authority to handle the estate, but that does not mean she can override the kids rights in accordance with the law. Yes lawyers are expensive. Call the state bar association and see if they have lawyers that do probate at a sliding scale. Even if you don’t get a lawyer, contest as soon as possible. Most states do not let parents inherit if there are heirs, which may be why she doesn’t want you to contest. be sure to meet the deadline, get birth certificates support orders, whatever you have that shows he is the father., I’m sure his mom is hurting and she may not be being vindictive as much as she doesn’t know what the law is.

Please get an attorney

2 Likes

Contest it! For the sake of your kids

2 Likes

I would be taking action on behalf of his kids

3 Likes

Contest it for the kids no doubt

1st look up your states succession laws, generally its goes to the current spouse and their children. 2nd get an estate attorney. Ive been through this 3 times with 3 different relatives in different states. They estate attorney will get a % for their services but not all of it like I saw someone else post.

1 Like

100% contest it…& also apply for his social security benefits for the kids :sparkling_heart:

3 Likes

File for executor of the estate and that will give you the advantage, they may file for co-executor of the estate but you will have the say so but have to get everything signed off together but it allows you have a say so on wat happens

1 Like

Spouse, kids, grandkids…estate

Money should be put in trust for your kids. Contest it.

Contest it, his children need to be supported!!

2 Likes

Contest it for the children, they are next of kin by law. Also file for social security death benefits for the children, again they are entitled to social security money every month. His mother is entitled to nothing!

6 Likes

Why is this even a question? Contest it!

1 Like

I would contest it and get a lawyer. Your kids shud be priority in his estate.

1 Like

It belongs to his children and what kind of grandma wouldn’t want the kids to have it

2 Likes

Please, fight gor your kids!!!

2 Likes

Contest, it is for his children & they are next of kin.

1 Like

Talk to a lawyer and either contest it or offer to split it. His children deserve to have access to the estate, especially when they are old enough to go to college.

Contest it for the sake of your children.
If he was paying child support, you are also able to continue to draw on that estate for that support ( obviously every state handles it differently).

2 Likes

Contest it!! My friend is going through the same thing her son is just 3 years old and she’s trying everything!! They’re his kids!!

Contest! They are his next of kin if I’m not mistaken…she’s being greedy your children deserve a trust fund…

Contest for the kids. That was for their dad. He wanted them to have it and be ok and grandma should respect that

I believe his children have more standing than the mother. I encourage you to get legal councel

2 Likes

Does it automatically make the kids next of kin though even though his mother is still alive :thinking: I’ve never dealt with something like this before

Likely you want to establish an educational trust for the kids and then get a Guardian Ad Litem / trustee appointed by the court to represent your kids, without a will it is intestate, so get ready for a fight but your kids should prevail

Hey Contest it you have 3 kids that was their father they deserve it and yes it would help their Collage I wish u luck prayers for y’all :pray::pray::pray:

3 Likes

So, we just kinda recently went through this… my parents weren’t legally married. They divorced in the 80s and lived together every since. My dad however, had a will that said everything goes to our mother. However, if he didn’t have a will, according to our lawyer… the estate would go to me and my brother as we are his heirs and his first next of kin. We have no issues of anything going to her. Were there a few family members asking? Yep… did they ask or say it to us personally? No.
Me and my brother are grown. However, your kids are not. Check with a lawyer… most give free consultations. Please think of your children. With the way prices are rising, they’re going to need a headstart. His children are top concern and priority. For grandma to ask you to not contest it is sounding like she has plans for those funds. The kids are going to need it. Best of luck :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Coming from a mother that’s been thru this contest ot it all goes to your children

2 Likes

Its belongs to his children contest it …

2 Likes

The children have all rights to everything! Get a lawyer and protect what’s rightfully theirs!!

5 Likes

His children should be given priority. You are not the one who is creating conflict.

2 Likes

His kids come first.

3 Likes

Everything of his should go to his children. I would contest it.

2 Likes

1000000% contest it. That should go to his kids.

5 Likes

Contest it. My husband passed away and the kids get everything of his. That is his way of helping still provide for his children. Don’t feel bad about it. The grandmother is who should feel bad trying to take it away from her grandchildren.

5 Likes

Contest it. Y’alls children have a right to that estate.
Did he possibly have a will?
If so, maybe you can see what his will says.

1 Like

Get a lawyer! Contest it and the kids can collect social security because their father died. Until they are 18. Check into that as well.

3 Likes

Contest it they should get it!!!

Do what you gotta for the kids. They should be coming first, and that’s a stab at grandma not you. The kids should always get first dibs.

Your children are his next of kin not his mother. They are entitled to the entire estate over her. You just need to contest it and you should for their sake x

3 Likes

I went through this when my father died. My sister and I ultimately ended up with the estate because technically we are Next of kin.

1 Like

Absolutely contest it!! His children need to be taken care of first and foremost!

6 Likes

Contest it on behalf of your guys children and ask for it to go into a trust fund for them.

2 Likes

Contest it, AALLL of it!! Children should be priority number 1!

4 Likes

Get a lawyer. You don’t find out how ugly people can be until there is money to be had. Your kids should have whatever their father left behind.

His next of kin will get it,which is his children

1 Like

The kids should legally get everything …there’s no will??this happened to my brother and I , if he was remarried then unfortunately if no will she is First, BUT I’d he wasn’t remarried his children are First !!!

5 Likes

Contest it! It belongs to his children!

5 Likes

Oh honey, get a lawyer and get your babies what’s theirs💖

6 Likes

She may be administrator but the estate is theirs. The question is do you trust her to care for it for them. Definitely you should become a party to the case on their behalf so that you can be informed. You are their guardian.

2 Likes

Contest it on your kids behalf! They deserve it!! Do it so THEY will have some security when they are older!

4 Likes

His children are his next of kin. She may get it, due to them not being of age, but it should be put in a trust for them. That’s just typically how the law works.

4 Likes

Contest it and dont feel bad about

8 Likes

This applies. He died intestate (if he did not have a will). His children are his heirs. They are in line for his estate. Not his mom. If his children were deceased then it would go to their children. This is what happened when my grandmother passed as her children (my father and aunt, had passed before her. So My sisters and our cousin became the heirs of her estate.) I was the administrator and it went through probate. Took about 1.5 years. House was sold, bills were paid and funds were distributed. Final accounting was done. I have no idea what his mom is taking to you about. Start by getting a probate attorney and they get paid from the estate so you don’t need any funds up front.

11 Likes

Contest it for your children!!!

1 Like

Get that $ AND his SS for the kids!

10 Likes

It 100% belongs to his kids!!! Contest it & fight for what belongs to y’all’s children!!

6 Likes

Get an attorney but she’s entitled to it because as his Mom, she’s his next of kin too. Your kids and her will likely share it and if she fought to be his executor, she’d likely win.

3 Likes

The kids are the next of kin’s they will get all of it, it’s doesn’t have any well or trust there is not for your ex MIL to control ,and if you guys was Maureen for at least 10 years if you are not re marry again to someone else then you get the widower benefits when mom or passing the children are automatically get everything s. If your MIL trying to get he estate she have to a Lawyer but she won’t win! Good luck. :four_leaf_clover:

3 Likes

Legally, it’s the children’s, unless stated otherwise in a will

2 Likes

Girl you fight her! Those are his babies and they deserve that money.

6 Likes

Do it it’s your children’s right it legally goes to
Them not his mother

5 Likes

Contest it as that belongs to his children not his mother

3 Likes

Contest all of it and ask the courts for the money to be put into UTMA accounts for them. They are his next of kin.

1 Like

Get a lawyer that should 100% belong to the kids … And they should know that too… So sad but u fight mama !!! Happy Mothers Day

1 Like

Check with SOCIAL SECURITY to get what support you can collect for them. All you need is his Death Certificate and the kids Birth Certificates!!

3 Likes

I would hire an attorney for them and make sure you are on the decision making

3 Likes

You can contest the will on
Behalf of your kids
Even if she was named in his will as sole benifcery

2 Likes

The woman is a disgusting human being…the money belongs to your kids!!

5 Likes

Contest it. That’s your children’s inheritance.

2 Likes

See if you can find an estate lawyer to assist you. They may not give it all, but dang sure MOST!

1 Like

You go for it thats them babies money not his moms

2 Likes

Contest it. Get an attorney :purple_heart:

1 Like

Since you were divorced, you should probably consult an attorney. You might not be able to do anything.

3 Likes

It should go to the kids

1 Like

Absolutely contest it. Those babies deserve a safety net

1 Like

One word. Attorney. Seriously you have to even pause to think about that?

1 Like

Maybe she is doing it for the kids and not you?you have been divorced for 3 years.

1 Like

Get a lawyer and contest it. That estate his for his childrens future

1 Like

Do it for your children. Surely he’d of wanted them to of been financially stable and have the money etc for their futures. His mother’s not putting their best interests into consideration, which in my opinion makes her a pretty rubbish grandmother.

3 Likes

Contest it and fight for all of it!! It should by law go to the children

4 Likes