My MIL won't stop trying to give me advice

So my MIL tells me a lot of things. Mainly her opinion of parenting. She has told me that if you let a baby push itself up, like when holding baby and they push their legs off of you, the baby will be bow legged. She swears up and down that you start with fruits and cereal not veggies. when I’ve always been told veggies and didn’t even feed my first cereal at all. she has also told me that if you let a baby see their reflection the baby will stutter. We live in FL and the weather is warm lately but if I don’t put socks on my baby then I hear about it or if I don’t him in a blanket while being inside then she says cover that baby up. we tell her all the time hes not cold, in fact he sweats and she is still insisting on us bundling him or putting socks on him. Mainly I wanna know if any of you have heard of the things shes telling me? mirror and stuttering. bow legged. fruits before veggies.

19 Likes

Ugh yes! My MIL is the same way but she will mention something two times and if we haven’t bought them the type of clothes she suggests or socks or something she will do it. It didn’t used to bother me but now it bugs the shit out of me.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. My MIL won't stop trying to give me advice

1 Like

Omg you need to stop being dramatic and just let her say what she wants and let it go in one ear and out of the other. It’s not causing you or the child any type of harm. Let it go

17 Likes

It’s basically an old wives tale that older people believe. Trust your instincts mama!

5 Likes

Yes I’ve heard it. It’s just what they always heard when they were younger. She honestly probably just means well. Sounds like she’s superstitious, my grandmother was.

4 Likes

Just nod and smile and do what you know is best for your baby. I think a lot of mother in laws are like that. With my first child my mom and grandma made me cry giving me “advice” and my MIL was always on me saying I wasn’t feeding my baby enough. That’s when I learned to just nod and smile. They mean well.

3 Likes

Everybody has their own opinions - I would go with what feels best and works best all babies are different- ask pediatrician if ur unsure and want a unbiased opinion. Sounds like she does mean well just may be a little over bearing with it lol

1 Like

if she keeps it up I’d just tell her “thanks for the advice but I feel more comfortable going by his drs recommendations.” and if they haven’t already the Dr will tell you that the baby pushing himself up like that is creating muscle mass which he needs, the mirror will in fact help him with recognizing himself (will not cause stuttering) and the Dr will also tell you to start with veggies because if you start with fruit they won’t want to try veggies. at least that’s what my 3 kids pediatricians told me.

3 Likes

The only one I’ve heard is the bow legged one. I actually heard it from my pediatrician 25 years ago. I don’t think it was bow legged specifically. I was just told that if they are too young to crawl or pull up then they probably shouldn’t be encouraged to stand and push up on your lap yet. Something about leg development but no proof.

2 Likes

Anyone who has had children will give you advice about babies. Get used to it. Just nicely say that you’ve discussed everything with the pediatrician and move on with your day. People , as well as your mother in law, are just well meaning. Be a grown up and be polite and understanding.

2 Likes

Mirrors are actually great for babies development. Helps with their visual senses, visual tracking, recognition and will help develop language skills over time as they get a bit older.
The leg thing is ridiculous and the food thing?! Feed your baby whatever you want.

4 Likes

No that’s all old wives tales and just outdated advice. Just be blunt with her that she should research and learn and that her opinions and advice will be given all the consideration it deserves.

1 Like

IAM in MS yes some days have been warm currently my 2m old is next to me with just a diaper. I have heard the other stuff but think it’s a old wise tail ur momma u know what’s best I don’t let anyone tell me what to do when it comes to my babies opinions are always welcome but it doesn’t mean that I will do it and if I don’t don’t bring it up again my family knows this lol

The bow-legged one is just an old wives tale so is the stuttering I have never heard of either one of those. And I’m 83 years old and have children in their 60s it was always cereal first fruit and then veggies but I can’t see how it make a difference if you did veggies first and then fruit but some doctor years ago when my second daughter was born she’s 65 now her doctor wanted me to start feeding her strained meat when she was 3 weeks old I did not do it I thought that was ridiculous that was a doctor out of Portland Oregon things keep changing best thing to do is breastfeed them as long as you can make sure you eat a good diet and they get everything they need. I’m sure your mother-in-law means well but she sounds very superstitious treat her with kindness though win her over with your love and do what you know is right for your baby

I know the FL heat and politely but firmly tell her that she needs to cut it out or you will be limiting contact until she can let you parent give her updated information on things

If you had asked me eight years ago when I first became a mother I probably would’ve been upset and bothered over advice for older folks. It’s not just in-laws. It’s everyone who’s babies have long left the nest. However, times have changed and I’ve learned to understand that some of these people come from different generations and backgrounds and are set in their ways. Thank her for the advice and explain that you are raising your child the way that is recommended by the pediatrician and assure her that if you ever need help or have any questions you will ask. She may not mean any harm at all. Pick your battles.

Those are just old wives tales.When my son was a baby who is now in his 30s, the Dr put him on cereal 1st, vegetables and then fruits. So just listen to her, but do what your Dr tells you they usually know best.

I’ve never heard the bowlegged one I’ve never heard the stutter one I’ve never heard of veggies first all of my children according to their doctor when they were ready for solids started with baby cereal and then moved to fruits and then vegetables my daughter has 2 children under two now and her doctor also said when my grandson was ready for solids to start with cereal first and then baby’s 1st fruits and veggies as they progressed.

3 Likes

All old wife’s tales . I was told similar stuff but all the doctors I have asked said that it was not true

Fruits before veggies was popular 40 years ago when my children were infants. Not so now.

Fruits before veggies makes it hard to use veggies. I mixed the cereal into the. Baby food

No your either born with bowed legs or your not. That is something detected when they stretch the baby at birth.

The mirror thing hahahahahahahahahaha.

My kids won’t wear socks and im in Canada intact my toddler is on her “naked stage “ so it’s strip down at home in a pull-up

Hugs maybe google the info she gave you print it out and show her. Or just humour her. Which might not be so good either.
so like I said
Hugs

She’s backwards everything

1 Like

Yep I have always heard this but I think it’s more older people believed it.

They are wives tales. And first things I was told is to start babies on cereal then veggies but the times changed now and cereal is viewed as non-nutritious and it is best to start with veggies they say so that babies get used to those before the sweet fruits. (It is easier to get kids to eat fruits due to sweetness, less interest in veggies if introduced second.) Plain and simple. Tell her baby is fine, the Dr has told us their recommendations and as baby’s mom I know what is best for them. Thank you for your concern, however, your advice is not needed. If I seek to be advised I will ask for it, til then I will do what is best for us. You raised your children your way, now is time I raise mine my way

1 Like

Old wives tales…tell her thanks gram…but I’m doing this my way…

3 Likes

My second child always loved looking in the mirror…and she’s the most advanced talker in her headstart. I just flat out tell people I don’t give two squats about their unsolicited advice and if I have any concerns, I’ll reach out to my pediatrician. If they don’t respect my boundaries, they don’t get to be around me or my child.:woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

She obviously did a good job if you are with her child. Js

There is a difference between making an opinion known and pushing an opinion on someone else. I was always told cereal then veggies just because if a baby tastes sweet first they may not like the taste of veggies. I’ve also heard the bow legged thing based on development. The mirror thing is just an old wives tale. Regardless, do what you want with your child based on the pediatrician’s recommendations. Listen to mom in law, but take it with a grain of salt.

1 Like

I was always told veggies first because if you don’t then they will get used to the sweet taste of fruit and not want veggies

1 Like

She’s crazy. Just try to distract her and tell her ok.

There’s a lot of stupidity on your MIL’s end. Just tell her to STFU. It’s your baby not hers. I honestly would limit interaction with her. My family did this to me so badly it made me question everything I did. It’s really difficult to be a parent when someone else is trying to do it for you. Best decision ever was to keep these family members from my younger children.

It’s always older people who say this crap. I would just tell respectfully that you appreciate the advice but she does not get to dictate what your child. Plain and simple. And that if she continues to push advice on you that she is not welcome.

Tell her enough. Cut it out. She raised her babies, you are raising yours based on the now not the myths. Be blunt but kind. You can set boundaries. It’s healthy.

7 Likes

My favorite response to unwanted advice that is also wrong is “oh, I’ll talk to their pediatrician about that!” and then move on. Your kid, your rules.

6 Likes

Just nod and smile. We don’t mean any harm. I’m in my 40s and have a teenager and my nieces and nephews are having kids and I find I’m giving them outdated advice also not because I’m mean but with baby rearing so much changes over the years. I always tell them that I might not have the correct answers because I had a baby years ago

2 Likes

If you feed fruit first they will most likely refuse veggies because they are not as sweet that’s why veggies first . It’s your child , I use to hear the leg thing and they said it abt walkers also but I dont see a bunch of bow legged people walking around so ??
You child your rules

2 Likes

I have heard both of these wives tales. My mom said her mom and grandma repeated those. That is what they are wives tales. My children are in their 40s and 30s we fed very differently. I remember fruits and cereal first. I think the most important thing is to introduce each food individually. That away if baby has a reaction or allergy to certain foods you know which food is not well tolerated.

1 Like

Ok bowed legs is a real thing. I let my son stand WAY to early on me and it happened to him. We found out later he has autism but we didn’t know then. It was a sensory thing for him. He LOVED to stand on me. But yes it bowed his legs. It corrected as he grew but yes this can happen. The mirror thing is a superstition. Babies aren’t supposed to see their reflection until 6 months. Don’t think it’s true but I didn’t let my kids look in the mirror till 6 months, just in case :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. I seen other kids do it and they are fine. So that’s why I say superstition. Veggies before fruit mama!!! All the way. Because fruit is super sweet and yummy. If they eat that first there is a higher chance they won’t want veggies.

Now remember. Opinions are like assholes….everyone’s got one but most are full of shit :rofl::rofl:. Take what she says with a grain of salt. If you think there might be truth, search out the answer, then do what’s best for you and your baby. Good luck!!! You got this mama

Tell her “I’ll keep that in mind, thanks!” That way you’re validating her feelings, but also not directly taking her advice. Maybe she wants to be heard, or this is her way of “helping”? Sounds like she loves your child, but maybe doesn’t know the best way to offer advice.

She was raised with those old ideas passed down by Grandmas, most of it can be stopped when you tell her you have discussed it with Dr or dietitian. I know it’s irritating but she cares so much,so many kids don’t have that Grandma Love.Set some rule’s gentle ones,My kids are grandparents now but remember Granny with so much love and laugh about her odd old input on raising babies

Everything she mentioned is just Old Wives Tales. Bowed legs are usually the result of vitamin deficiency, not allowing the baby to bounce. Pretty much every baby ever has babbled to themselves while looking in a mirror, but stuttering is not that common for the mirror to be a cause. So far as food goes, there is no harm at all in starting babies off with veggies. Go with what works for you and your child.

Good lord no, all these things are old wives tales! Tell the MIl to chill :sunglasses: out. She needs to maybe find a card club or some lady’s to hang with and let the mom thing be up too you! Her old ways are not going to work… tell her to pipe down and relax because u got this!!
Just nod and smile when she’s spouting her nonsense!! In one ear and out the other!!

Just tell her that with time and research , the recommendations have changed .

1 Like

My mother in law is the same - I say my baby my rules - she says my baby don’t need a paci I say she can have it as long as she wants - she wants me to take her bottle - she turned one Sunday and I am due with another baby in 20 days - I will not take it for her to want his ! I say I take care of her everyday all day and I pushed her out of my body - I will do what I want and give her what I want ! My husband backs me up and says I have 2 other kids ahead of her and unless people are depositing money in our bank account to pay our bills their opinion is irrelevant !! I have been a mom for 15 years I feel confident I know what I am doing

I’ve heard that if you tickle babies they will stutter as well . Just try to tune them all out and enjoy your baby . They grow up in a blink of an eye .

The only one I’ve heard is veggies before fruit and that came from my pediatrician. As for the others they are all old wives tales. My daughter pt actually had us use a mirror for my daughter to get her to do tummy time. They actually love looking at themselves

tell her to go away, your baby your rules. and ain’t no baby ever got a stutter because of a mirror… tell her tk take her old wives tales and shove it

Nope. She is completely wrong lol do you mama. If you already have one child you learn mostly from that one… older mom’s can be crazy lol

For weather wise my mother told me her doctor said with me and my brothers and my sister bundle up like you would don’t work bundle them and don’t under bundle them

Follow your pediatrician’s advice and have your partner tell their mother to back off since you’re following the doc’s advice.

You are supposed to give veggies first then certain fruits . Some babies have allergies to some friuts

Those are all old wives tells. Let them go in one ear and out the other.

One day you will be a mother-in-law remember what you are moaning about right now