My mom is kicking me out of my grandmas house, can she do that?

I’ve been living at my Grandma’s since I was a teen. I was the one who took care of my Grandma daily. I was the only one who was actually here for my Grandma. When she passed away, there was no will, so everything went to my aunt & mother. Well, my boyfriend and I have been staying here at my Grandma’s and paying the bills. It’s been ten months since she passed away & just last week my mother comes to tell me that I’m going to have roommates. Mind you, I DON’T know these people. I got upset about it because she didn’t talk to me about it. They move in and start drama with my boyfriend & my mother doesn’t like him, so she told them that he wasn’t allowed here and that if he came to call the cops. Well, I disagree with what she told them to do because he’s the one that’s been paying the bills, we got into a huge argument, and she sent my brother to serve me a 30-day notice to get out. My two daughters, boyfriend & I don’t have anywhere to go! While my other brother and I were going through my Grandma’s things, we found a letter stating what my Grandma wanted for everyone, and it was signed and dated. My brother showed it to my aunt, and she ripped it up! Could we take them to court for it?

53 Likes

Depending on what the letter said and how valid it could be, you legally have no rights to the house. Since there was no will, the estate goes to your mother and aunt. Whoever owns the house can make you leave.

9 Likes

Take it to court. The bills are in your name but that’s a hard one because everything was left to your mom and aunt

1 Like

You can go to court, but you need proof of everything. In the end, if nowhere in those papers grants YOU anything, you most likely do not have a chance at winning. You need proof of that paper that was ripped up to stating what your grandma wanted.

4 Likes

Letters don’t matter. I can sign and date anything but it won’t make it a legal document. If it was left to your mom, yes she can kick you out, especially since she gave you the minimum 30 day notice

2 Likes

You could. It’s going to get really messy

The best advice anyone could give you is to contact a lawyer that does free consultation

1 Like

Even though your mom may own the home you have been a tenant for longer then 30 days. Tenant laws will still apply. She will have to go to court to get a court order to evict you. However I would consult a lawyer to be sure what your local laws say.

5 Likes

You could , however , they would probably win .
Usually possessions usually go to next of kin . That would be Grandma’s kids . When your Mother passed away will be your turn .

Nope. If it wasn’t a valid will and you no longer have it then you don’t have a legal leg to stand on. Have your boyfriend stop paying the bills and make them evict you.

1 Like

Just went thru this personally. The paper unfortunately means nothing unless it was notarized. I’ve cut those people out of my life for good because unfortunately, when people pass away, others get greedy. Karma will get them but I would start looking for a new place because it sounds like she served you with proper notice.

2 Likes

Hmmm something sounds off

No. I used to work in escrow. A letter doesn’t stand up in court. If your mom and aunt went through probate, the house is theirs. Even in cases of wills, there is probate to allocate property according to the judge’s wishes. The only way to avoid it is with a trust because the property owner is the trust, not sn individual, so trustees inherit the trust which transfers the ownership without legal interference. Wills and letters don’t hold up by themselves.

1 Like

Depending on the the and law’s of the state. It can take up to 3 to 6 mos for the court to order u out of the house. Talk to the prosecuting attorney there where you live and see what can be done in your favor.always talk to the prosecuting attorney before you go to court or any other deals you have. Good luck.god bless.

1 Like

If its legally left to your mother then she can do whatever she wants. I would find a place of your own and cut ties with her. Doesnt sound like shes a positive person to have in your life

3 Likes

Letter is not a legal document in regards to that. If no will then it goes to next of kin and yes they can evict you provide they follow proper laws for eviction process.

U should of probably copied the paper and gave them the copy

5 Likes

That letter could be used as long as it was signed and dated &outlined her wishes upon death.

If your grandmom was in her right mind at that time, it could count.

Anytime a death occurs there is supposed to be a small estate opened at the local court house. Your mom or aunt would be the administrator.

But they would be responsible to divide the possessions as the grandmother wanted.

But really you have no claim to the house, even if you have paid bills there.

They legally have to give you 30 days and that’s it.

You won’t win that one. Sorry.

If u have this document, I suggest talking to a lawyer and showing them this letter that your gma wrote out, and signed/dated.
It’s not cool your mom is doing this. Your her child…and she is also doing this to her grandchildren which isnt cool as well.
It can get messy…but I do hope it doesnt.

2 Likes

Yes, unfortunately they can do that. All they need to do a is a notice and eviction will then start. So best to cut your losses and start figuring out where to go…the letter means nothing since it wasnt a formal will through the courts.

1 Like

Need to go to a lawyer, did you keep the torn up paper. I went thru a similar thing, my sister was dying and her step children found the will and destroyed it, she never sent it to the state. I was suppose to be the executor of the will. Anyways her husband got everything, then he died 9 months later and they got over $400,000, leaving me and my children out of getting anything.

And yes sadly since she has no will and if your mom evicts u legally like through the court u can’t do much

Take it to court. Had something simular happen and hand written will dated and sign was good enough. Plus you have been paying the bills. Get a lawyer and serve your mom and aunt if you have to. If you been paying the morgage grab all that proof as well also. As you might be able to make them sell the house and get what money you paid into it. Also any repair receipts. But please go to a lawyer and get legal advice.

1 Like

Did grandma leave the house to someone besides your mother. Because if she didn’t then legally I think your mother is entitled to it

1 Like

Depending on your state you make have renters/squatters rights which would buy you some time to find a new place. You can fight the eviction, I’m not sure how you do that but I know if you have bills in your name at the house or if you get mail there it may be harder for you mom to kick you out. That being said I would start looking for a new place ASAP. That sounds like a very toxic situation with your mom and I would just want to remove myself and my kids from that situation. Like strangers in the house and having to deal with your mom and stuff. It may not be ideal and I know you may be sad to leave but once you guys are in your own place away from all that negativity and fully in control of your own lives you will be happier. Unfortunately your grandma didn’t leave the house to you and it have gone to your mom so it’s probably best for you to leave but it might not hurt to talk to a lawyer and see what can be done even if it’s just buying you some more time to find a place of your own.

A constable has to serve you eviction papers I’ve worked as property manager and after the 30 days your brother served you with then she has to go to the judge to get you served she cant put a restraining order on your boyfriend unless she lives there

I would say save up every dollar n if the bills are in your name turn them off leave them other people in the dark… save your money n get your own spot so no one can tell u anything! Beside nothing like having your own

U don’t get to just keep her house because she died. It’s not your house! Plain and simple. Go buy your own house. Did u just think u could live there forever in a house that u didn’t pay for?

4 Likes

If boyfriend lives there let them call cops :woman_shrugging:t2: bills are in his name, he was there first. Who is the house left too? Seek lawyer

2 Likes

Wow. I can’t believe someone would do that to their own child. Your mother is at fault and i can’t imagine anyone siding with her. She obviously is a narcissist and everything is about her. Take her to court.

1 Like

Depending on your state but if she follows the proper eviction procedures she can do that. For the paper it would be hard especially if it wasn’t notarized and done officially. You could try but you would need to get a lawyer and it might be a long battle.

If you’re not the legal owner and they give you the proper eviction notices, yes, they can, but they have to do it the proper way.

She can evict you but she has to do it thru the court system so that should give you time to save money to leave. And when you leave have all the bills turned off if they’re in your name. Good luck.

In the state I’m in it’s 30 days far alduts and 30 days each child and then you can push it to take them to court oh and the cops have to service you with the papers not anyone else

If you have papers yes …tape it back together. I would

Lawyer up. If you were officio served am eviction notice go to court. Take bank statements and everything you have documented.

Hun I don’t know what to tell you besides get a lawyer. But I totally understand what your going through. My momma and daddy both died last year next month and the month after. They were technically my grandma and step grandfather. If my grandma/momma had passed first like everyone fully and reasonably expected her to (lots and lots of health issues) then everything would have gone to me and my brother when daddy passed as we were his next of kin in all legal and emotional ways. But because daddy passed first, everything went to momma, then a month later before she could get anything done with anything she passed away. So everything went to my bio father (supposed to be between bio father and uncle) and he literally is screwing us out of things that me and my brother inherited from other people before my parents passed but have had no place to put said things.

Man I wish you had made a copy before she did that. If you have the remains try taping it. Idk if that will help but I’m angry for you. I’m sorry for your loss as well. Best of luck.

You can Sue for the bills you paid at the house that wasn’t yours.

She has to evict you do you have 30 days

Sad… sorry I would make them being you to court to evict you. Keep records of bills

Do you still have the ripped up letter? If not you’re pretty much out of luck. Plus the fact that the house now belongs to your mom and Aunt. Since your paying all the bills there I’d stop paying and Dave money for your new place. She can give you a thirty day but the only way to get you out is through the court system. I personally think you should tell mommy dearest you’ll need two month’s and I wouldn’t pay another bill. Let the new people pay them…I’m thinking you’re probably not paying rent and that’s why they want you out.

1 Like

Dont pay any bills, have them cut off. And contact a lawyer about it…

2 Likes

Has he bedn using ur address

1 Like

You can take them to court. If you’ve lived there for a certain amount of time and can prove it and there is no will then you do have some rights. Get a lawyer and go to court. It’s the only way to sort it out

2 Likes

She can have you evicted the legal way but she can’t just kick you out

2 Likes

They have to go through the court system to evict you. When you leave, turn off all bills. Good luck. Sorry for your loss.

1 Like

Not only can you, you should. The fact that you have been paying Bill’s there for months proves that she is being malicious. Also, if you have the brother to testify, maybe he can say what was on the paper, that’s if you dont still have it. If you do, take it with you. I would absolutely leave though. What is telling is, she is behaving like this. Your brother needs to watch out too. Your mom and aunt are absolutely wrong. But, the less drama, the better.

2 Likes

If you can get that paper, but unfortunately if your mom and aunt decide to evict you they can… You have 30 days try to find an apartment or something, stop buying the bills there and save your money. Unfortunately without a will there probably isn’t much even a lawyer can do…

When someone dies it changes people. Money talks. Unfortunately your mother has the right to evict you. Of coarse the proper way. The letter u found would not have stood up in court especially if it wasn’t notarized. Your grandma didnt have a will which would have outlined what she wanted. Without a will there is nothing u can do.

3 Likes

I can about bet if the house has not been put in your mom and aunts name it has not been to probate. Make them go to probate first. Do not take your name or boyfriends name off of the bills. It establishes legal residence for your bf. Use this time to save your money and get another place to live. When you leave you can then warn the “roommates” that you are leaving and shut all the bills off. Do that on writing. Proof you let them know you are leaving so they can get their deposits together.

3 Likes

If you have a copy of the letter then you can take her to court. If not then I’m not sure there’s much you can do.

I have no idea why people are telling u to see a lawyer y’all have no lease and that’s not your house you can’t get along w ur mom so u gotta go.

4 Likes

Holographic will. The letter could could but it would be hard to prove if it’s torn and it’s a state by state thing.

You don’t have a leg to stand on if she goes and pays for eviction. Letter or no letter anything the grandmother owned should still be tied up in probate up, unless the chose not to go then legally I wouldn’t see how the house could ever be put in your Aunt or mothers name,You could put off the eviction some by going to a magistrate

2 Likes

The owner of the home can serve an eviction notice. If you do not have the letter stating the wishes of your grandmother, there is nothing you can do. You can contest the distribution of assets in probate court, but it can be very expensive and very unlikely you will get anything, especially if you do not have that paper.

1 Like

A hand written letter means nothing each state has their own laws but i went through this when my mom passed

2 Likes

I hope you have receipts and saved the paper that they tore up and take it to an attorney. then you might have a chance. Who is the real owner of the house now?

1 Like

I think your family should leave you and your boyfriend alone since you was living in the house all of thkse years and helping your grandma. The house should stay yours. And no one else should be making choices for you.

When it comes to money everyone goes crazy

5 Likes

Sorry for the loss of your grandmother. Everybody has advise on here. But going about it the legal way seems to be your only chance. I wouldnt do anything until you speak with a lawyer. In my state they do offer a place called Legal Aid which could be either a free services or for a minimal cost and have soneone represent you and advise you how to handle this situation. Good Luck and May God Bless you and your kids and boyfriend. As far as blesssing your aunt and mother allow God to handle that. You need to quickly and carefully move on this as soon as possible. Stay positive and strong!!

4 Likes

Your mom is the legal owner and can evict you. She will have to go through the courts since it’s been months of you living there. Even with the letter it won’t matter much since it wasn’t notarized and for all they know you wrote it. I would just move and cut ties.

5 Likes

Go to a lawyer.Aldo go to the clerk of courts

Why did you let that piece of paper out of your hands. You should have at least had it copied and kept the original in a safe place. It coild have been used in court. Not sure where you live but rules are different everywhere… your mother doesnt sound very nice so your probably better away from her…dont pay any more money toward the house and try and get another place…good luck

6 Likes

Go to a lawyer now. Ask your brother if he will testify to the letter

3 Likes

You are a grown woman with a grown boyfriend and 2 kids. Why is it y’all can’t afford to live on your own? Hopefully you were taking care of your grandmom because you loved her, not because you thought she was leaving you a free house. If she didn’t leave a formal will, the house belongs to your mom and your aunt and they are free to do with it whatever they please. Now that your grandmom has been gone almost a year, it’s time for you and your family to make it on your own.

8 Likes

Kick the people out.
I mean, put their stuff on the curb and change the locks.
You definitely need to go to court.
Get a lawyer if at all possible. At least a consultation. Sometimes you can find them for free. It would really help things if you save that torn up piece of paper. If not document everything Wright it down. dates and times. that helps your memoryand case a lot. Judges like that kind of thing.
Good luck.
Remember, possession is nine-tenths of the law. Or something like that :slight_smile:
My point is, don’t let them take possession of the property or lock you out. Stand your ground and get the strangers out of your home. Oh also, keep copies of your bills that are paid in your guys’s name from as far back as you can😉

2 Likes

I hope you were smart and made a copy of the letter. Who did grandma leave the house to?

She can’t throw you out if u and ur boyfriend are paying the Bill’s only way is to get a Lawyer and take her to court,show all the reciets show proof that you are playing the Bill’s and the taxe’s on the house and you need to show proof that ur grama passed on and consult with a Lawyer

Have you guys paid for any permanent repairs to the property? New furnace, appliances that have to stay, major repairs? If so, even evicting you, I know here in Ohio the property owner would have to pay you back for all that before being able to kick you out. Make sure to take the receipts to court along with the bills showing payments (even better with bank statements showing them as well). I would also take the pieces of the letter and tape it back up. It may not prove much legally, but could at least buy some time.

And you should also made a copy of the Letter before you showed them the Letter’s good Luck to you both make sure you pay ur Bill’s with ur checking account or over the phone this will help you to prove you pay the Bill’s make sure the Bill’s are under you and ur boy friend’s name too

1 Like

She has to go through the courts but youll have time. And you can also fight it but if theres no prpof that this is what grandma wanted then theres not a lot u can do. Youll have at keast a month or two to save to get a place though.

1 Like

Tape it back together now!!! Make multiple copies. That is why she tore it up!! Get a lawyer say nothing to her! She should be trying to keep her grand babies safe with a roof over their heads. Also if you and your boyfriend are already planning about getting married it will give him every right to be there as your husband. Boyfriend status gets you nothing in the legal world unfortunately :confused: That paper is everything! Otherwise she is completely in charge.

3 Likes

That is so hateful! Ugh! I’m sorry that happend to you! Also you should of made an extra copy! Take them to court! Your mom is a bitch! Why would she kick you and your babies out knowing you had no place to go! Tell her to Fuck off! And that is your place if the house is your name she can’t do anything ! And as for those people Trying to move in! I wouldn’t allow strangers In my home! You wouldn’t know what kind of people they are! Could be child molesters for all we know. Don’t allow them to move in and keep your doors locked and Ignore her!

There is always a process to every process, legally. Look it up, you can lawyer it out yourself it’s that easy to the eviction process.

1 Like

If yall are paying the bills she can’t just throw ya out. She’ll have to go through the courts. They’ll give you 30 or so days to move. But she had no right to move room mates in with yall. I would have never let that happen. Its probably best yall just leave. Remember karma is a bi+@$ . Leave and don’t loik back.

1 Like

Squatters rights? Not sure what state you live in but wouldn’t hurt to look it up.

1 Like

Tape the papers back together and get an attorney change the locks and kick those bums out leave their shit in the driveway

If she doesn’t hold legal deed to the property then she has zero say. She cannot legally move people in or out of that property. Quite frankly you shouldn’t even be living there however, it will be best to go through court to prove that this has been your residence for X amount for time prior to and after your grandma passing. Your boyfriend will also need proof that he pays bills (are they in his name? Your name?)

If the 30 day notice is through the court and legit, then yes. You could go to court, but unfortunately without the letter or a formal will it goes to mom and aunt as next of kin. So yes she can, you can contest this in probate court but it’ll be long and expensive. Good luck.

1 Like

Will your aunt let you stay there? If she also owns the house then maybe she can legally override your mother. I would tape that letter back up and copy it.

Nope…just stay there with you kids and you…boyfriend have to find another place…

That piece of paper means nothing unless it was notarized with a witness saying that your grandmother wrote it…

3 Likes

Check with a lawyer. No will you could be entitled ti 1/3 of house,

No she must go through eviction process

That is so sad your mother and aunt have chosen money over love 1st I would save everything that you have put into the house rent receipts and any repairs 2nd remove your unwanted tenants and 3 take them to court and get it sorted out legally I wish you and your family all the best

Sounds like the house needs to go to probate court and they will decide who the house goes to. Anyone immediate family is eligible

Most states say if someone dies without a will, the estate, once all debt is paid, goes to next of kin. HOWEVER, they have to get a judgment for that, which gives other people the chance to contest it. So if there was no will you absolutely could have contested the judgement that your mother & aunt got everything. But I’m not sure if you can now, assuming they have the deed in their names, etc. You’ll have to contact a lawyer. DO IT immediately! A lot of it depends on your state laws.

2 Likes

Oh my rolled it up,so no proof now of what your Grandma wanted that’s bad! I would try talking to someone legal wise

1 Like

If you kept the letter pieces take her to court do it anyway I don’t think she can get away with that

2 Likes

No she can not!!!

Hi, bring in evidence y that you have been living there and paying bills any documents like letters ripped up or not bring them as well, should get a lawyer.

1 Like

Good news is I’m spending every penny before I die.
Leaving 4 I owe you NOTHINGS!

Sounds like you have been there for years since you have children now. Contact an attorney and find out what rights you have. Mother sounds like a piece of shit! Oh yes and as others have mentioned gather everything you have paid while living there.

You aren’t a tenant with a lease so she can have you removed by law immediately, no notice. And that letter means nothing without a notary and witness. It sucks.

Let this be a lesson to all of you and have legal wills drawn up and filed.

Unfortunately the house is not yours so the owner(s) can LEGALLY evict you
A 30 day notice is not an eviction

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy didnt you take a pic of that paperrrrrrr???:sob::sob::sob::sob::sob:
Call a lawyer!!

3 Likes

You should have never let that paper out of your hands you should have made a copy and show them the copy but hopefully your brother will testify for you that there was a letter good luck to you and yours