My mom is kicking me out of my grandmas house, can she do that?

Yes u can, put the letter back together if u can.

1 Like

Maybe grandma made copies of the letter?.

Has to be a sheriff to serve you or go through the courts so unless it’s noted then it’s not valid

If it is a legal document then there should be a copy! If not then I’m afraid as everything was left to you mum and aunt she has every right to evict you providing she has got warrant of eviction notice served by the courts!
But I’m sorry to say if she was a real mother and grandmother to your children she would not do this!

She can kick you out especially with no lease because you are considered a month to month tenant which means you are an at will tenant and can be asked to leave at anytime. A 48 hour or 7 day eviction notice must state a reason and it must be a reason line you’re a nuisance or danger to another tenant to be issued. A 30 day notice they don’t need a reason and can be for any reason like they just don’t want you there anymore. In order for the eviction notice to be legal it must be filed with the court, signed by a judge and have a court date on it. You then have the option to just move or have your day in court. In court the judge is the one who decides if you stay or go and gives you a time limit to move. If you are told to move your mother would then have to go file with the sheriff who is the one who would have to put you out if your still there past the date given to you. Your mother can not put you out or make you leave before the date the judge gives you. If you talk to the judge and they have sympathy you can give them an estimated amount of time needed to find a new place and most likely if it reasonable they will grant it. Most likely they are going to grant the eviction because you have no rights to the house.
A written letter is not a legal will. A will must be signed by the person, a witness and filed with a lawyer. The only way the letter would hold up in court is if it is witnessed and notarized
Honestly tho I’d just move

I would try to. . Good luck

Unfortunately even if the letter wasnt ripped up if its not notarized, the next of kin (your mom and aunt) have the power to decide. It sucks but you’re screwed

Leave they are going to hate having actual tenants :joy: tenants usually trash the place that’ll be their karma. If you are low income even if you aren’t get in touch w the housing authority in your area sometimes they’ll give you motel vouchers and assistance with first and last months rent on a new place.

Fight her in court. Get an attorney. Salvage the letter if possible and stand your ground. She has to go through a legal process to evict you.

Should have taken a photo of the paper first before it was ripped up. Now all you have are your words. Smh and for your mom to be such a hateful bitch for seeing you do good is beyond me. Some people man smh

There should be a free legal society in your town. They can advise you of your rights in this situation. Best wishes.

I would say morally yes … But because courts work by legal docs, notary stamps and laws… NO.
And in most states without a will or a lease… The 30day notice is sadly all that ur mom has to give. But I’d still try…I mean most states have squatter rights. I’ve read about it her in NV anyway

1 Like

She can’t just throw you out. If there is no will the house doesn’t automatically go to them so go to probate and find out your rights

3 Likes

Absolutely, take them to court and fight!

1 Like

If utilities are in your name and you have been paying bills for months already then the house is your and if u can tape back together the letter then do so. Plus u have two other people who saw it before ripped up and they can testify in court to what she wanted. And let the courts handle it

1 Like

What kind of mother. Could do such to her own daughter and grandbabies…

1 Like

If there is no will, it should have gone to probate. Speak with a lawyer.

2 Likes

Yup you don’t own the home your grandmother should of had it in the will that it was yours it’s a awful thing but legally yes she owns it

1 Like

I would, just make sure you have the ripped letter and evidence that you pay the bills.

3 Likes

If you got a 30 day notice go to courthouse & file a response… Do whatever you can do. Do not give into a 30 day notice…

Why is this on this site? Not appropriate.

Dear Abby…signed My Favorite Holiday

1 Like

As long as u got bills in ur name ur fine. First if all its called a 3 day notice the sheriff has to bring it to u… but ur fine as long as u got mail in ur name call the cops see what they say

1 Like

Contact an attorney. They can tell you your rights. Everything needs to be in writing. Dont wait

My favorite holiday is Easter its thr Resurrection & you get to color eggs yes I still enjoy that even as an adult

I say stand your ground, move the others out, let them sue you

2 Likes

This has as much to do with holidays as yesterday’s post

When you have mail in your name there, you, your boyfriend, whoever it’s a legal process. Get a lawyer

Depends on ur state law of eviction. In NY 30 days is a courtesy. Then they have to take it to civil court and start an eviction. Until served by Law Enforcement its not a legal eviction. Again, depends on ur state

And this has what to do with favorite holidays?

6 Likes

You were a guest in granny’s home. ALWAYS GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING. Details! If your mom LEGALLY owns the home, she can do this awful thing. Maybe YOU should contact the police before they do. (NOT LEGAL ADVICE, just an opinion) It might be easier to just cut ties and move on. Sorry, this happened to you. I have everything done. Will, who my stuff goes to and more. No sick relative will be able to screw me after I am gone. :slight_smile:

Go to court. Show proof of payments

By law yes she can do that. Just because you chose to stay after your grandparent died doesn’t mean you can.

1 Like

That’s family for ya! :broken_heart::cry::woman_facepalming::no_good_woman:

Hello this page is not about family problems!!!

4 Likes

Yea take them to court!!

Hatefull people don’t let them get away with it

Family can suck ! Sorry for you. .

WTH is happening to this page :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

5 Likes

ALWAYS FILE A WILL IN THE COURTS. Granny sadly should have done this and made sure you were ok. My neighbor in Alaska is going through the exact same thing. He cared for his mom and their land. The mom died and the other sibs came in an booted him. I was mortified how greedy people can get. Remember that a HOLOGRAPHIC WILL (fully handwritten and dated) IS legal in a court of law in most states. As adults, we must insure our financial ducks are in a row because nobody is guaranteed of tomorrow. You should have never given that document to your greedy mom and aunt. A copy maybe but not the originals. Too late now. I pray you resolve this. Next time photograph the documents and maybe go to court with a collection of your paid utility bills. Have the power shut off in your name. Make them redo everything since they are jerks. KARMA IS A BITCH. God bless you. <3

My Favorite Holiday??? hmm…:thinking::thinking::thinking:

4 Likes

Take that Bitch to court… if you been paying bills, they must be in your name ? And this is not the site to be posting this on