My moms dog chews everything in the house: Advice?

I fell on hard times and was forced to move in with my parents for a while…well my mom and dad spend about $2000 on a puppy that they refuse to train and is constantly chewing things up…my daughters toys, expensive shoes…my parents floor and walls…my mom tells me its my fault that my daughter that SHE watches toys get chewed up when I am not home and am at work…but she is literally watching my daughter…ik am tired of replacing my daughters favorite toys bc of my moms negligence and dog…mom thinks i should be the one replacing things or “keeping them up”…what should i do?

50 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. My moms dog chews everything in the house: Advice?

Save up and move out is about your only option…

9 Likes

Well I would say the only options you have is to talk with your parents about the situation, help train the dog yourself, or move out.

5 Likes

It’s her home, so regardless if she gets proper training for the dog or not is irrelevant. She can do what she wants because it’s her home. I would be mindful of that, and just make sure that her toys are put away.

7 Likes

You are in your parents home. Therefore you have to go by their rules. Maintain your kids stuff to her room only and if there’s a hallways, place a gate so the dog does not go into your area

3 Likes

Move as soon as you are able to ,leave a few inexpensive toys for your daughter to play with when you’re not around.

1 Like

Get your own place :woman_shrugging:t3:

3 Likes

Toys should be put up and I’d invest in baby gates for the doorway or your kids room and yours. But you are in their home so yeah unfortunately you are to replace. Although I don’t think you are entirely at fault of course.

5 Likes

Either put up with it or move out…

4 Likes

You are not in your home. You are a guest. Put your things away, find someone else to watch your daughter and move out on your own.

6 Likes

It’s your parents house. They are helping you. Keep the favourite toys in your room put up. Free babysitting is worth a few toys.

8 Likes

Time for dollar store toys until you move out. Stay at Home Moms :fire:

5 Likes
  1. move out. 2) give your daughter play shoes while in the care of your mom and a certain toy bin. 3) put expensive toys/shoes up while your not there to control the situation.
7 Likes

It’s her home. You don’t like it, move out

4 Likes

Advice on the dog. It’s under stimulated. It needs exercise, and mental stimulation. Walking the dog daily, buying lots of chew toys and redirecting the behavior. If he starts chewing on something he’s not suppose give him a chew toy instead and then praise him. You could teach him tricks and buy some fun puzzles. Dogs need lots of exercise and will tear up things when board. Also letting dogs be dogs is helpful! You could get a cardboard box and let him go ham on that. Hope that helps!

6 Likes

So your mom is WATCHING YOUR KID , FOR YOU , and your living with them and you’re still complaining :neutral_face:

14 Likes

You have zero say so, it’s your parents house.

2 Likes

Find a place of your own and a daycare for your child.

1 Like

Well they need to train it. Or he will continue to do it to their shit as well. Our dogs chewed shit when they were small, we tried our best to keep toys up but you know kids… sometimes toys are missed. Regardless if you’re in her home or not. She needs to train her dog. Don’t get a dog if you’re not willing to teach it or train it.

Everyone is saying she’s a guest and it’s her parents house…but what upset me is that her mom is actively blaming her for what HER dog is chewing …that’s her granddaughters toys if that was me I wouldn’t let any dog chew on my kids toys or shoes but that’s just me

9 Likes

Your mom is right you should be putting the toys up when not in use

Find a way to move out…in the meantime I’d get a safe for important toys or a good hiding spot and buy some cheaper ones she can play with while you’re not home.

1 Like

Save up and move out!
The home belongs to them.
You are a guest a this point. They bought the dog and they are not responsible for you leaving things where he (dog)can get to them in their home.

3 Likes

I’m sorry but I agree with your mom. It’s her house and her dog if you don’t want your daughters toys and other things chewed up you need to put them in a safe place so that the dog can’t get to them. 

6 Likes

Get the dog some chew toys, a variety of things to chew on. Dogs need to chew especially puppies. It worked for my dog, he ripped up a lot of dog toys over his first year of life but those are still cheaper then my furniture or your kid toys.

1 Like

Keep your things in your room and keep the door shut. Put a baby gate across your bedroom door and have your daughter play with her toys only in that room, it’s rough living in someone else’s home…. Good luck :crossed_fingers:

7 Likes

United way offers shelters for women and children. No dogs, but a ton of rules. Just saying, the homeless shelter is always an option.

1 Like

Her house, her rules

Don’t let your mom watch her and keep all toys and things in your own space with the door shut where the dog can’t get to. You can try to train the dog yourself. It’s their house and if things are happening while she watches your daughter that you don’t like and you tell her and she won’t do anything. Like with the toys then I’d find someone else to watch her. Or don’t have any of her toys out and around during that time. Unless your mom brings them out. Otherwise you just have to deal with it for a while till you get your own place and not need your mom to watch your daughter.

3 Likes

Stop telling her to move out. Some of you seriously can’t read. She financially can’t.

Also, the audacity to blame YOU for her dog chewing your daughters things lol I also have a puppy. When she chews anything, it’s MY FAULT. She’s my dog.

You’re also not leaving your daughters things out. Your mom is. She’s not picking them up. She’s letting her dog chew them and blaming you. Make a designated toy bin with cheap toys that she can only use outside of your room. Cheap toys, shoes, etc.

5 Likes

Take the good forth effort to get the dog training while you are there

Hope u realize they are considered a puppy for 2 years … if u dont want stuff ruined then put it away out of dogs reach or sight

Put the toys away when you’re not there to monitor it…

1 Like

The dog needs exercise and training and toys of its own!

1 Like

Sounds like you are being an immature brat

3 Likes

Make the dog disappear :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I mean it sucks and I get the frustration but it’s better to be paying to replace some toys than paying for a new place to live or daycare…just have to take it for what it is

1 Like

Put the toys somewhere the dog can’t get them? Lol at least while you’re not home.

Put the toys up and when your daughter isn’t playing with them anymore, teach her to put them away as well or the puppy will ruin them.

3 Likes

Move out. Or train the dog yourself. It’s your parents’ house not yours. If you don’t like it then leave.

3 Likes

Keep all yours and your daughters things in your room with the door shut when you aren’t home and when you are watch to make sure it isn’t happening

Maybe you & your daughter could train the dog together while you live there! Could be a fun activity!

3 Likes

Either get your own place or try to find a compromise with your parents over the dog by introducing a dog crate or I have a dog pen (didn’t cost very much) that I can take down and put up outside or inside anytime I want gives the dog plenty of room and can still be contained. But the dog needs attention it’s not going to stop chewing on stuff unless someone gives him the attention and time it takes to teach him not to, but you could try a crate or a pen to contain him that way he’s not chewing up everything.

You train the dog. It will be a gift to your parents and a necessity for you.

1 Like

Oh. Keep anything you don’t want destroyed in bedroom and teach her to put toys up when done playing. Your in her house. Maybe you can talk ur mom in on putting a baby gate up keeping the dog out of certain areas.

3 Likes

Lemme guess… it’s a doodle

1 Like

Put a baby gate on your door to your room

1 Like

Your parents needs to educate themselves on thr breed of dog they have, they need to take up puppy classes and stick to it, I’d also when not at home lock all her toys away and let rentals get her toys or leave a few out but state if the dog chews them while gran baby in their care its their responsibility to replace since its their dog that’s destroying them. I’d save save save and get out as soon as your able too xxx

Pick up the toys and close the door.

4 Likes

Teach your daughter to keep everything in your room and don’t leave anything out. If your mom wants to let the puppy chew up her house that’s her choice but at least you can keep your stuff in your space and keep the pup out.

5 Likes

There is an anti chewing spray. Its non toxic and bitter tasting. Spray it on items that u dont want the dog to chew on. Also get chew toys for the dog so it has something to chew on

1 Like

Honestly you live in their home ,you should be grateful for their help …keep your items out of reach from the dog …

5 Likes

You can’t tell your parents what to do in their home
Dog chews up something once shame on the dog
Dog chews up something the 2nd time shame on you

7 Likes

I had 3 dogs we didnt train them BIG MISTAKE had to give them up to a new home we also had young children have a sit down with a dog expert to explore your options and be armed with the knowledge that if your parents cant train their dog then you can report them for negligence and have that dog removed an untrained dog can and will turn on you and or your child is it worth it to risk your childs safety and yes people Ive done my homework it doesnt matter the breed Ive spoken to several experts who work with dogs they all say the same thing and then some an untrained dog is a safety concern around young children if she doesnt get the dog trained then she needs to remove it or you move out Its up to you and also you can take her to court and file for damages to yours and your childs belongings even a Judge will say its your moms fault for not training the animal just saying

5 Likes

Save your money and move out. If it’s just you and your daughter you could get away with a cute little studio apartment or 1 bdr for now.

3 Likes

Try moving your things out of the way!

2 Likes

Move out and get your own place or keep your stuff picked up in your bedroom door closed. Your mom is right… :woman_shrugging:t2:
Or maybe take the dog obedience classes for your mom… and pay for it because she’s doing you a favor and let you live there. 

2 Likes

Honestly their home, their rules…it sucks but you can’t change someone’s way in their own house. If ur mom doesn’t correct the behavior then best thing to do is have ur daughter keep her toys in her room and close the door to avoid dog in

1 Like

Your living off of their rules, their home, their money. If you don’t like it… Get your own place

2 Likes

I mean as frustrating as it is to lose money on toys you are a guest in your moms home and she can run things her way.Keep your daughters stuff in a closed room or gated area so dog can’t get to it.

It’s a puppy! Get things out of it’s reach just as you would a baby.

Ugh honestly it’s your mom’s house and puppy’s are chewers and most people think my house my rules so I hardly see any compromises happening your way …you can shut your door keep your stuff in your room your shoes should be in there anyways toys not so sure I guess while she’s playing out there I wouldn’t let her play with anything expensive and have talks about clean up. . buy the dog chew toys and try to correct when possible say no no and hand the dog it’s bone or chew toy etc
My best advise is getting your own place so it’s your house your rules
Not meaning that in a bad way but it’s the truth even if it’s a one bedroom

3 Likes

Keep everything in your room and keep the door closed. A dog can’t chew what it can’t find.

4 Likes

A puppy doesn’t know the difference between a $5 dog toy and a $25 child’s toy. Often they will want to play with the child’s toy because they smell the child on the toy. Pick up the toys and keep them away from the puppy. Get the puppy into obedience classes. It sounds like the puppy could benefit from learning the “leave it” command. 90% of puppy training classes are teaching the humans how to recognize behaviors and stay a step ahead of the dog.

2 Likes

try to get out as fast as possible your mother doesn’t care about your kids toys clearly and if she refuses to train the pup that’s unfortunate but not something you have to deal with if you get out

1 Like

I’m with grandma on this one

4 Likes

If your gonna “play house “ as an adult in your parents home , then you gotta follow their rules !!

1 Like

Regardless of what you think should be done with the puppy training wise it is their house and their puppy.
I don’t agree with it necessarily being your fault especially when you are not home. I would either try talking with your mom or make bins of toys. 1 she can play with when your not there and the other she can play with when you are home.
Put expensive shoes in your room and keep cheaper ones for when she’s with your parents . Not sure the age of your daughter but also try teaching her the importance of picking up here toys. My son’s are younger but they are told if they don’t pick their toys up they can get stepped on and broken (they are 2 and 4). I am not replacing toys that they were told to pick up

1 Like

Dogs tend to chew when they’re bored or teething. Make sure he has plenty of toys of his own… or he may need to be exercised more often.

Put up nice toys while you’re gone. Get cheap toys for while your mom watches your daughter. That way it’s not as expensive to replace or…
Buy dog toys for your daughter.
My daughter loves playing with the dogs toys when she was a baby.

2 Likes

Keep your things out of the way. Save up your money and move as quickly as possible. Your not going to win this battle. Best wishes. Much peace and love ☆

2 Likes

It’s your mom’s house and she enjoys her dog… I’m afraid you might have to start save some money and move as soon as possible. In the meantime keep things away from the dog. Put shoes and toys up when you are not going to be there to supervise.

You should replace things or keep them up. :woman_shrugging:t2:

If the dog is chewing your daughters toys that she has out while your MOM is watching her and you are work, then your mom is responsible for that.

3 Likes

Move out, keep things put up. Puppies chew anything they can reach.

Move to your own home your moms home is taken. Even if its small p!ace at first.Then your wants, needs and rules are in place.

You shouldn’t worry about the dog chewing the carpets, the furniture or your parents stuff. That’s their dog, their house and their problem.

If I were you, I would do my absolute best to keep your belongings and your daughters belongings in your room(s) with the door closed. Depending on how old your daughter is, either she should keep track of her belongings or your mother should when she’s in her care.

2 Likes

You should put stuff up and save to move out. It’s her house.

3 Likes

Learn to train dog and mom

You’re merely a bratty child with no understanding of half the words you just used. That’s why you are where you are, asking what you’re asking. The answer is : put your sh*t away. You should’ve heard that one before but maybe you’re parents failed at training you like they do that puppy. Just remember, that puppy lives there, you don’t.

2 Likes

Stop replacing the toys. Save the money and get a place for you and your baby. Let her watch her dog destroy her house. I’d probably also see about getting someone else to watch little one. If she can’t stop a dog from chewing something that’s clearly not a dog toy idk about what she will let your kid get into.
If she’s watching her dog chew up your kids toys she should be replacing the toys. Keep the receipts for the toys you have replaced. And pictures of any toys it chews from now on. Might seem petty but small claims court :woman_shrugging:t3: her watching your kid is not a free pass for her animal to destroy your property.

5 Likes

There really isn’t anything, aside from putting stuff out of reach. It’s your parents house, so you’re at their mercy. How old is your daughter? It’s one thing if she’s a toddler who doesn’t realize that picking up after herself would stop her toys from being ruined. It’s another if she’s old enough to know better, but still doesn’t pick up after herself. Once all of your belongings are kept out of the puppy’s reach, your problem is solved. Your parents will be a lot more proactive about training when their puppy stops teething on your daughters toys and shoes, and only does it on their belongings.

1 Like

Put the toys and expensive shoes away and keep them where the dog can’t reach them or in a closet with the door closed! You’re going to have to suck it up until you can get back on your feet. You probably should leave your daughter at a daycare, her puppy could choke on a toy its chewing and god only knows what the puppy and your daughter can get into.

Keep your kids things picked up. Of you are going to move in with your parents and clutter up their home with you belongings. Than you should expect it. Your mom isn’t you or your daughter maid. I get you mom sets for you. Male a safe space your daughter can have /play with her toys were the dog isn’t.

Ideally you need to be in your own place or have someone watch your child and keep your belongings secure in your room. Personally as a grandmother, if a pet destroyed something that belongs to my grand babies, I’m replacing it. I have a cat that likes to chew Crocs and I’ve replaced a few pairs of shoes/flip flops. Your in a hard spot because it’s their house.

You should be the one keeping your things up.

2 Likes

Keep them up & don’t let your daughter have them. Let your mom deal with a pissed of and bored child since she watches her. Lmao. See how long her logic lasts.

3 Likes

Research the breed and do your best to train them. The chewing stage is hard but buying chew toys and praising them when they chew the right things help. Read read read.

2 Likes

Just keep you’re daughters toys etc away from puppy of possible

2 Likes

Look I have 2 dogs and 2 toddlers, very hard to keep up with all the chewing of toys, for two years now I’ve been drilling it in the kids heads that if they don’t want their toys destroyed pick them up and save them….also buy a toy box with lid or other little containers with lids that’s the only way to keep the dogs from chewing on them and you or your daughter saving the toys whenever she is done playing with them🤷🏻‍♀️

2 Likes

Stop replacing toys and save your money so you can get a place of your own. That’s really the only advice I can give you. :woman_shrugging:t4: It’s THEIR home and THEIR dog. So there’s really nothing that you can do.

8 Likes

Keep items you don’t want chewed up out of puppys’s reach or move. Their house.

3 Likes

Runaway. Parents are to tough to raise alone

1 Like

Do you pay your parents rent and babysitting ? If not you should be thankful you can stay there. Shoes and toys should not be around dog anyway. Move out if you don’t like it there. Pay for a place and babysitting. I bet you will change your mind about your folks place

5 Likes

Their house, their dog. My kids learned pretty early on (like as toddlers) not to leave anything out or it could get chewed on by the dog or otherwise ruined. Keep things out of the dog’s reach and keep doors closed.

3 Likes

Move out soon, it is your parents home

6 Likes

Daycare and keep her toys in the room with the door closed

1 Like

I’d keep all her toys in a locked bedroom, and instead of replacing them I’d be saving up to get my own place! Unfortunately it’s their house so not much you can do about it. Either that or you can train the dog you’re so it stops destroying yours, and your daughters things :woman_shrugging:t3::confused:

You should move out if you don’t like the situation your in !!!

3 Likes