My moms dog chews everything in the house: Advice?

It’s hard but have to keep the toys in a room with a door and keep the door shut. Then try to save your money up so u can get your own place. With everything so expensive it’s hard. I have toddlers and puppies and they have lost some toys and they are learning to pick them up and keep in their room . I don’t replace if they get chewed . To try and teach them if you pick up then the dogs won’t get them .

3 Likes

I hateeeeeeeed puppies for this reason. Yes they’re cute but way too much work/stress

It’s their house!! My dog likes the kids lol dolls and small teddy’s i tell them to shut their bedroom door and keep toys off the floor if the dog gets to them its their responsibility lol

2 Likes

Put all your shoes and your daughters toys in you room and keep the door closed…

5 Likes

Crate train and lots of chew toys for the dog. Put your things away, etc also a baby gate so the dog cannot get into your daughter’s room at her toys

1 Like

Nothing. It’s your mother’s house. Leave or shut up

My daughter’s dog does the same :thinking: he’s very messy,we don’t let him into the house long before he has to go back outside.cause he goes crazy wants to chew what ever he can put into his mouth.do I really don’t have any good advice for you.:thinking:

Puppies are going to chew and should have their own “belongings” to chew on, that being said if you reside in someone else’s house, you are forced to live as they choose to live. I would put toys, clothes and shoes up until you are there to monitor things. I hate to point out the obvious, but you are living in her house and I’m assuming that she is not charging you for babysitting, so I think you have to decide which would be more of a burden; paying rent & a babysitter or replacing the occasional destroyed toy.:woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Unfortunately because it’s their house n their dog not much you can do but put everything up, maybe get a baby gate & gate off an area so the dog can’t get to your stuff? I agree that the dog should be trained & your parents should be more aware but again you live with them.

1 Like

You are both in the wrong
Your parents are in the wrong since they cant or won’t properly take care of their dog. You are also in the wrong for continuing to leave your things and your daughter’s things laying around knowing that the dog will destroy them. Unfortunately 2 wrongs dont make a right , so move out or put items out of the dog’s reach.

1 Like

What’s with someone angry reacting to all the comments that say it’s her parents house & dog & she’s basically just gotta deal with it? Person reacting entitled much?

1 Like

Get a storage unit and keep your stuff there. Once you can move, do so.

Hard to encourage your child to tidy her toys away when its happening while you’re at work. Especially if shes playing with stuff, the dog takes and destroys it while the owner sits watching. Sounds like your parents are totally unconcerned and if your daughter is old enough to try to get her toy back from the dog she risks being bitten…wonder if they’d sit and watch that too.
I know how hard it is to be in someone else’s house and unable to move out…but im afraid thats the only answer if they wont take responsibility for their dog and keeping your child and her belongings safe .
Put her favourite toys somewhere safe to be played with only when you’re with her. Start looking for alternative accommodation and childcare. …even if it means going part-time and applying for benefits.

2 Likes
  1. It’s their house so their dog can do whatever it likes.
  2. Put your and your daughter’s stuff in your area and shut the door.
  3. Put bitter apple spray on stuff you don’t want chewed.
4 Likes

I see this from both sides so it’s a tough one for sure. You really don’t have any leg to stand on their house their rules. You also know the dog is a chewer so when not in use make sure thing are put away where the dog cannot get to them. If they will allow to to train the dog from chewing take it upon yourself to do that training but only if they allow you to do so. Don’t overstep your boundaries.
On your side out of respect for you and your child and the safety of evereone envolved the dog should be train to some sort of extent. (I am sure there is some training, like housebroken, and feeding schedule.) If there is no training then the dog would be aggressive when eating or playing cause it will see those items or food as possessions. That can be a big danger to everyone. With a kid involved I could see that as a fear.
With that being said you have 3 choices. 1. Ask your parents if you can train the dog to stop chewing on things that are not it’s. 2. If the answer is no, put your items where the dog cannot chew them so the big issue is aleaved and less unwanted chewed items (you stop it all but can make it way less). Finally 3. Would be move out find a place for you and your child. It is there place so first and for most it us their rules that is why I said ask if they would allow you to teach the dog what it can and cannot chew on. If they say no then it is time to save up and go on to your own place with your rules.
I hate to put it like that but that is literally where you stand on the matter.

Well, first of all they aren’t properly training the dog and if it destroys their house, then that’s on them, the best you can do, since you are a temporary guest there is to buy a gate or two (depending on how many rooms you are sleeping in) keep those gates up and keep your stuff safely in there, and work extra hard to get yourself out of there and that stressful situation

3 Likes

Considering it’s they’re house and they are doing you a favor by letting you stay there and babysitting your child, you could at least keep your stuff picked up or ya know move out. How they raise they’re puppy and live in they’re own home unfortunately isn’t up to you.

6 Likes

It’s annoying but it’s their house. If they want a puppy that chews everything that’s up to them, if you need to live there then you need to respect that and put measures in place like ensuring toys are out of reach to stop it happening. Assuming you are living there rent free or very cheap, you need to replace them.

2 Likes

Move out. Its not your house

3 Likes

Train the dog. Invest in toys. When the dog goes for anything else, correct them. Use an E-Collar.
Crate train the dog. If not adults are home, the dog should be up. Keep a chew toy in their crate as well.
Puppies chew. Dogs chew when not trained as a puppy. My 1yr old pup doesn’t chew on shoes, furniture, walls, etc… Bc she was trained.

1 Like

Are they going to do something if the dog chews on your kid? An untrained dog can be a danger to young children, especially when in your mothers care if she’s not willing to train her dog. I would pay someone else to watch my child in that situation.
Maybe also buy the dog some chew things and whenever he has the toys, give him his toy. Eventually it will figure it out. Ask mom to do the same.

1 Like

Ok so yeah it’s their house so be it. If the dog destroys their things that’s fine. But even as a guest in the home you have a right for your things to not be ruined. No different than a hotel you’re a guest there but you by no means expect to have your belongings ruined right…. Well same applies here. Now if this happens while no one is watching then yes replace your own things bc it’s no one’s fault other than an innocent animal that’s bored out of its skull thus why it’s chewing so much. But if your mother is watching your daughter an you’re not their an she knows the dog chews on the toys then she is responsible for replacing them bc she knew it was going to happen and she didn’t encourage your daughter to pick up her toys ( I’m assuming child is young enough to need guidance in doing things still) so the dog doesn’t chew on them therefore leaving her negligent in the destruction of the toys. If it was me I’d secretly take the dog to be trained or learn ways to train the dog yourself. An ultimately I’d move out without warning once I could if I were you bc it is ridiculous that your child can’t have toys essentially bc their dog chews them up and they know it chews things so they’re really just putting the dogs health at risk by not controlling the issue at hand bc one day the dog will chew something that could very well pose a huge threat to its life if not end it immediately bc your parents aren’t looking. Really right now they’re neglecting their dog by not stopping the chewing and putting the poor dogs life in danger. Or call Victoria Stilwell on them or even Cesar the dog whisperer to tame the chewing fur ball. It’s not the dogs fault in this bc it doesn’t know any better. This is lack of owner responsibility.

3 Likes

Probably should move.

2 Likes

This one is so easy, Keep your stuff up or move out of HER house.

10 Likes

Move before the dog chews your child up.

2 Likes

Keep favourite toys in your room with the door shut .

4 Likes

It’s your parents home. Your a guest.

4 Likes

Housing and a babysitter. Sounds like put your daughter’s belongings and expensive shoes up. Or move out and pay your own rent and pay for a babysitter.

7 Likes

Go get beef marrow bones .cook…give one to dog .make sure big ones…
If you are out of cooked bones my neighbor said she used to put peanut butter in side…
Also Kong ball you put treats in…they work on both those for hours

1 Like

It’s their house and you’d be homeless if it wasn’t for them. Be grateful for the roof above your head and don’t complain about the small things. Toys are not important- a roof over your head is.
Show them
Gratitude and don’t complain… spend some time with the dog to train it while you’re there and help them out back…
What a horrible way to be to them… imo

3 Likes

Move. Put your things up.

Get out of THEIR home!!
Get your own home and make your own rules.

1 Like

It’s not hard to train a dog. Do it yourself or move out.

1 Like

You could train the dog for them. Get the puppy lots of toys to occupy him, walk the pup. Even empty water bottles. Something to distract the puppy while you aren’t there. I know it’s not your pup, but unless you and your child keep everything up and out of reach, there isn’t much else you can do in their house.

2 Likes

I’m dealing with the same thing to where what the dogs have destroyed and I’ve replaced has cost me what I could use to move out, so I feel your pain. It’s sad when anyone sides with ignorance and lacks empathy.

3 Likes

Get a metal baby gate that you can open and close with a latch, they’re really sturdy and the puppy can’t chew it up. Your child will be able to play with her toys without them being destroyed and without being bit by the puppy. Encourage your mom to take the dog and your daughter for a walk everyday so the puppy can blow iff some steam, most of the time dogs chew things because they’re bored. Keep your childs favorite toys up high or shut in your room. Get the puppy some kongs that your can out treats in, it keeps pups busy for awhile and the pup will be less inclined to chew your childs toys. Your mom is caring for your daughter during the day for free and you’re living there for free, but there needs to be a compromise between you guys. If you start paying them a but of money each month to go towards monthly bills, your parents will probably be more open to compromise.

4 Likes

Tell your daughter to keep her fav toys in your room . She can play with yhem when you are home only…try to get your own place …its their home so if they want a dog its up to them. …

2 Likes

Yeah I feel that there is nothing for you to do but handle it cause it’s their home. Only solution is moving out

4 Likes

If your folks can afford 2k for a dog, they can afford a dog trainer. Do some research and give them a couple names and the prices for a trainer who will come to the house.
Also maybe buy a large expandable type play yard to keep your daughter and her toys safe from the dog.

2 Likes

Find a place of you’re own

My worry is the puppy getting hurt by the child.

Kids can be tough on puppies.

1 Like

i find a new place ASAP not good living in thoes conditions with a child shame on parents for not training puppy

1 Like

Train the puppy yourself if there is no other choice. Buy the dog chews to keep them busy

2 Likes

I understand that , that’s her house but …. A dog before my grandchild , NEVER. I have two sons and one grandson, they are my life.

1 Like

Maybe get some anti chewing spray from the pet store

Their house…not much.

Yeah you don’t have much you can do but put things up it’s her house and she’s babysitting

You keep everything in your room. Then you work on training the puppy!!! You teach sit, stay, no chew, come, etc. Get dog toys. Walk the puppy frequently.

You’d be amazed at what walking the dog can do…

2 Likes

Get the puppy toys and chews, then teach the difference of toys it can have

Can you afford to get the dog trained? If he’s a puppy he needs chew toys, which you can pick up at the grocery store. Your mom sounds like a piece of work, but she is watching your daughter (for free?) and providing a roof over your heads. Teach your daughter to play with one thing at a time & put the toy in a bin with a lid the dog can’t get in when she’s not playing with it. Teach your daughter to throw the dog a chew toy when he gets into things. Of course if your daughter’s an infant that won’t work, but then anything can be a toy, like a box.

1 Like

I’m so sorry! There’s nothing you can do! When your mother? Doesn’t fix a problem for you? She’s giving you a sign. Read the signs! Instead of training the dog? They tell you? To put up all your stuff! Maybe mom can’t tell you? How she really feels! She’s letting the dog do it! I hate this kind of behavior! She’s an adult! She’s allowing the dog to ruin her home? Something deep is going on!

Save up and move out, you’re staying in their house, she watches your daughter while you work I’m assuming. I’d just keep everything you don’t want chewed up out of reach. Buy your daughter toys that you wouldn’t mind if they got chewed up. Puppies are going to chew things up that’s just how they are, they’re like babies when teething.

3 Likes

I see these posts all the time. Why don’t you train the dog. They watch your daughter I’m assuming for free. Why not do something nice for them instead of complaining. You live in your parents home.

1 Like

Move out. Look into your county’s welfare department and see if you can get financial assistance to move into an apartment

Buy the dog chew toys.

1 Like

Time to leave and get your own place. It’s a shame your mom puts dog in front of granddaughter. Mom will be the loser in the end.

1 Like

It’s a puppy just as a child it is teething. It’s going to chew on things. The best thing is to try to keep everything up. Get it done dog toys it can chew on. When the dog goes to chew on items other than that pop it with that toy, say no and then hand it the toy it can chew on. It takes time to do this but will work. Most dogs love a rope and ball to toss around with somebody. Make it playful time and it’ll start going to that toy.

You are in their house…you need to move if you aren’t happy

You have a few options… move out and get your kid in daycare, train the dog for them or offer to have it put in training classes, or stfu and keep your important stuff put up. Puppies chew things until they learn not to. I have 5 dogs and at one point they each have chewed something that was expensive or important. It happens, but it’s your mom’s house and the dogs house before they let you come stay.

Becoming a great person in life do take time but the time has come to your gate to get started with mrs lisa Jennifer she is actually the best in the Crypto trading contract her with the name below​:arrow_double_down::arrow_double_down::arrow_double_down::arrow_double_down::arrow_double_down::arrow_double_down::arrow_double_down:

This is incredible wow :star_struck: I never knew investment in this trading platform is so profitable what a massive profit :partying_face: . Thanks so much Mrs lisa jennifer :two_hearts: for my successful investment am really grateful, to me this is more than a miracle securedbasefxoption is the best trading platform :blush::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Mrs lisa jennifer

Not your house. You have no say

You should be keeping things locked or up. Or get your own place for your rules