My mother-in-law is trying to control my husbands every move: Advice?

Wow a mamas boy. It wnt change

2 Likes

First, remove her ass from your bank account. I’m a fan of having separate accounts, also. Second, be honest with your husband without being harsh. Just explain this is too much and she needs to stop, now.

2 Likes

No you are not overreacting

3 Likes

You married into it with eyes wide open. Kind of hard to complain now. You also had to willingly put your name on a bank account she had her name on. You did this to yourself. Its really easy to take your name off and open your own. Start with that…I would end it with she needs to find her lane, get in it, stay in it or your out. But good luck. Marrying him with these issues only told both of them you’re ok with it

10 Likes

Create an account in only your name. Close out the joing account(if your name is on, only you need to be present to do so)

6 Likes

Make your mother in law your friend. Thats all that worked on my monster inlaw…Speak to your man.
Remember he sleeps in your bed… not in mommy’s bed!!! Work it girl

The marriage vows include “forsaking all others” for a reason. That includes possessive parents. You should be a couple, not a threesome. Mama needs to back off.

9 Likes

First of all, take her name off of your bank account. Now that you’re married your financial business is your own business and not hers. Maybe if you would invite her over for tea when your husband is not home and tell her nicely that you and your husband really need some alone time to get to know each other and would there be any way that she could just call once a week. You’re trying to adjust to a new life and you love her very much and want her to be involved in it but not in an everyday basis. I’m sure that she loves you and she’s happy for her son that he’s married to someone special but she seems to just not be able to understand that he’s not her little boy anymore he is now a married man with responsibilities. When you let her know that there is a new baby on the way oh, that you would really appreciate her coming over to visit or even babysitting on a date night but please just let the two of you decide what’s right and what’s wrong for your child. You’re going to have to think of the right way to say these things as to not hurt her feelings because you don’t want to build a wall between the two of you. She will in the future probably be a very big help to you once she learns to accept the fact that her little boy is now grown up and has another woman in his life. Good luck to you and your husband and congratulations on your new little one coming into this world. Hopefully you will not repeat what your mother-in-law’s doing. It will be hard though to let go trust me.

I don’t really believe you didn’t see this before you got married

4 Likes

Sounds like a control FREAK. Nothing will change until you stand your ground. Don’t play victim, take control of your situation.

4 Likes

First off you both need to have your own bank account not with her. And second she has no say so in what you guys spend your money on. And I get how you feel the calling everyday is annoying cuz she does that with mine. And if he don’t answer, they’ll keep calling over and over back to back including my phone. I snapped to him about it. I told him exactly how I felt. Good luck. And I hope it doesn’t get worse with the baby coming.

Put your foot down and say enough!! If that doesn’t work get out and run far away or you’ll be forever miserable!!

3 Likes

Take out all money and open for just you two

Talk to them both. Even if you have to do it separately. Let them know that you’re marriage is only between the two of you and if they have a problem with that, they can have each other. Take out every penny from that account with your MIL and create a new one. If that’s to damn much for them, take your child and leave. Because it’s almost a guarantee that they will be the ones raising him/her and you will have little to no say in the matter.

6 Likes

Open up a new bank account this is ridiculous :joy::rofl:

7 Likes

Exactly why I’m NOT getting married!!!

4 Likes

Send this kid back to his mama and tell him come back when he grows hair on his …:rage:

Open your own account!! If she was like this before you married why did you think she’d stop? She sounds like a narcissist and he enables her …he’s scared of mom …of upsetting her , you have to talk to both of them …now your pregnant she will get worse …before you know it she’ll be trying to control everything with your baby … do you not have parents for support?? Good luck

6 Likes

She won’t stop and it will only get worse when the baby is born… probably even before … there needs to be boundaries !!! Tell him to man up . Put your foot down to her also …this is the only way !

5 Likes

Crystal Mary Burchett Sounds familiar?! :joy:

1 Like

She needs to back away.
Let you 2 be in your own relationship, soon family.
It’s unacceptable behavior in eyes.
Time to cut the cord hubby😉

3 Likes

It’s time to cut the umbilical cord and be independent.

2 Likes

Tell his mother you’re the wife… and if she wants to run the wife roll, she will be the cause of divorce and her husband will NEVER find love cause no woman will deal with that… but really your husband should let his balls drop, this is truly his fight not yours

7 Likes

Tell that witch to fuck off!! 💁 she calls him asking if he needs anything? like if YOU ( HIS WIFE!!! ) are not capable of taking care of him and her name is on the bank acct. Wtf is that? Take her off your damn self.

5 Likes

Things won’t change UNLESS your husband put his foot down, no point regretting now as you already married him. The only thing u MUST DO is set your boundaries now for your baby, talk to your husband what u can’t tolerate when it comes to your child. Come to an agreement BEFORE the baby is here, u already too late once when u marry him and his mum, don’t drag it to your child also

7 Likes

Honestly nothing is going to change. You can’t complain when you new how attached he was before marrying…those were your red flags to walk away but you assumed things would change. All you have left is to leave and do things on your own. Regardless of what you want of your mother in law not controlling your new born? That’s the baby’s father and grandma which will be in the baby’s life weather you like it or not. You however will have a say if you don’t like what she does with your baby but you can’t attack her. You have to do it with respect and as a mom who wants the best for her child.

Run… as fast as you can.

3 Likes

To late marry the man marry his family call Dr Phil

2 Likes

You just married my ex!!! It doesn’t get any better!!

Well, the sad part about this is, I am sure these people think this is perfectly normal.

2 Likes

That is very strange! Your money is your money, it shouldn’t concern her at all what you do with it. If she tries to interfere with your baby tell her straight thanks but no thanks, that’s your baby not hers

Put an end to it now. Remove her from your finances and anything else that is a husband/wife issue. He doesn’t have an issue with it because it is someone in addition to you to satisfy his every need. Don’t ask him, TELL him, ite ends now. He can have any type of relationship he wants with her, you don’t have to. What goes on in your marriage is none if her business. Now you’re pregnant, do you really want this woman “raising” your child? Tell your hubbie, this ends today. You can cut the cord where you and the marriage are concerned. I had a mother in law like this. Her son was too much of a pansy to stand up and tell her we didn’t need her to micromanage our marriage. Yes, she hated me and made no secret that I “stold” her son from her. I stopped going to all his family functions. If he chose to go and take our son that was on him. We have been divorced now for over six years. She’s old and sick now and wants me to visit weekly and participate in her life. Sorry, ain’t happening. She should have thought about that twenty years ago. I have no sympathy for her or my ex husband. He and his brother live with her in the family home. My son very rarely goes there for a visit. My ex has repeatedly ask me to visit/help care for her. I was a geriatric and hospice nurse before I retired. My answer…not is this lifetime.

So you knew all this but waited right up till you were married for it to become an issue??Don’t believe for a minute you thought it would change when you married…your man’s obviously a wimpy mummy’s boy,you knew all that…Still married him tho🤔

4 Likes

No you are not and trust me I’ve been through it, it gets worse when the baby arrives. We broke up because of it he never let go of his mom.

2 Likes

Why would you marry someone like that ??? And now your pregnant I’m sorry but it’s too late

7 Likes

She would know first hand… You don’t control me or my husband and your child. My Ex mother in law messed up my bond with my daughter… She’s now 30 an we struggle to have a normal relationship.

You should have laid the law down before you got married. You’re in for a hard time.

I dated a guy for awhile that I had known for years. His mom was like that. Her boys and her husband were terrified of her. The husband would literally shake if anyone talked to him when they were out. It was not allowed. When I found out I was pregnant (I was on the pill, it didn’t work), I quit seeing him. When my child was 6 months old I informed his father. He was shocked and wanted to know why I didn’t tell him. I informed him that his mother would never have any say over how I raise my child. She may run the life of every other family member (and she did), but she would not run mine or my child’s. His dad started to come over and spend time with his child and never mentioned the child to his mother. She found out when my child was about 5. She tried to tell me what to do just once. I told her how things were going to be and that was that. I informed her I am not afraid of her, and how I raise my child is my business. She never gave me any problems after that. My childs father and I never got back together because I didn’t want to be with someone I could walk all over.

No you’re not over reacting, but you knew what you were getting into before you married him and thought you could change him!!! Or you were just desperate to get married! Please believe me, you are not going to win that battle between him and his mother! Stop trying he’s only going to side with mommie! At this point you really need to think about what you got yourself into and start making a plan for you and your child! To be honest her being on you and your husband’s bank account, you had to have agreed with that!!! Sorry but I don’t have much sympathy for you at this point! I see major problems down the road and you do too!!! Ijs

2 Likes

well you had to know about all this before you said I do…but you did so this is what I would do…I would sit down with her I am blunt person and have no problem speaking my mind and I would say this…when you had mama’s boy no one told you how or what to do regarding him as a child that will the same exact thing that I will have with my child, if you over step or attempt to micro manage me then I will restrict your access even more…you will respect me and my family as you already had yours your way…just saying…I would be direct look her in the eye and tell her that is all this conversation is over…

Films that might help. “Act like a lady, think like a man” and “Monster in law”

Oh dear… why dont you start your own bank account too. Put your foot down and tell the inlaw to but put of your married life, and leave you guys to work your life out, and tell your husband to get balls and tell his mother to back off.

2 Likes

You are not overreacting! Maybe just you and your MIL need to have a sit down and discuss just what you wrote! Be firm and honest. I love my husband of 33 years, and his mother, but I would have such a hard time if I were in your shoes. I got super lucky!

Talk to her. Work together so that you can help her. Losing her son to a wife can be hard. I know you are frustrated. It isnt her intention to act crazy. Talking and drawing boundaries is a good thing.

It is time for her to back off. Is he her only child? How old is he?

I wish Id asked as you have, and been warned that itll only get worse unless you take control now.
Firmly take a stand. Once you figure out what youre willing to do or put up with, state your boundaries and expectations and hold to them. Its clearly his Mom who has always guided boundaries in his life. Put your foot down now. If you dont, you can be certain that eventually he will allow her to chase you away - and blame you for it.
Having her on YOUR account w/o your approval shows a tendancy toward financial abuse and 100% of abusive ppl use some form of it.
Please dont assume hes just nice and doesnt want to stand up for himself or you.
Keep an eye out for passive aggressiveness.
Wish you the best

1 Like

Get out now he’s not going to change.

4 Likes

You already answered it for yourself. If his mom runs his money, she runs everything. Always Always Always have one account for bills and separate accounts for personal for each person. You married his mom…and got a mama’s boy. The end. Can’t change what you ACCEPTED while dating.

This was the situation before you married him, you knew what you were getting into. Why did you think marrying him would change anything??

4 Likes

Tell her face to face to back off and mind her own if he and she dont like it give him altermatum

1 Like

Stand up & be a woman. Tell your mother in law that her help with your finances are not needed
Tell her that now that you guys are married you’d like to take care of things as a married couple
You don’t have to be nasty to get your point across
If your hubby doesn’t like it too damn bad

Ummmmmm this was going on before you were married sooooooo what did you think? It was going to change? :joy::rofl::joy::joy::rofl::rofl: NOPE! you married a mommy boy wimp so thats what you get.

1 Like

Tell ya husband it’s either you or her he’s to blame letting her and I’d tell her fucken butt out or fuck off out of our lives

2 Likes

Never to late to move out. File for divorce and love him from a far. His mother will yell, scream, and humiliate you the entire pregnancy. You are a grown woman your husband on the other hand needs his mommy to hold his hand for everything. Don’t worry he’ll be okay he has his mother to comfort him.

2 Likes

You walked into that with your eyes open. Either deal with it, or walk because it’s not changing.

4 Likes

I tell people all the time …all the things that are an issue BIG& small need to be hashed out before your marry bc they will grow & get worse… All that little shit you think is cute in the beginning aren’t so cute after years… BUT Sis that bank account thing would have been a GIANT NO right from the front!!!

3 Likes

Did you know this before?

Your husband is now married to you. If his mother is interfering it needs to be him that shuts her down. Tell him…the bank account needs to be moved or her name needs to be removed so she can’t have access. It is none of her business how you spend your money as a couple. These are issues that cause divorce and I believe you saw these flags before you married him and let it go. If your husband chooses his mother over you, you have the choice of either putting up and shutting up or divorcing him and making a better choice next time. I know that sounds harsh but that is your reality now.

Tell her to get lost! If you don’t it will only continue and get worse. Do it!

1 Like

Unless a male is wearing diapers that’s the only change u can change.

1 Like

Is SHE putting money into the bank account? Was it their account before you got married? Do the 2 of you have a budget that you follow? Are either of you good money managers? How old are the 2 of you?
MIL needs to see her son as separate from her now and capable of making decisions with you, not with her. IF the money is ALL yours and none is hers, simply ask the bank to block her access. IF she contributes to it, you can’t do this. IF you are dependent on her for income, she has a right to know how her contribution is being spent.
If this is an account left over from his high school/college or dependent days and you are not using any of her money, by all means your hubby needs to explain to her that it’s the 2 of you now and he appreciates every thing mom has done, but she’s off the account. Don’t burn your bridges!

I’d talk to her face to face with him. Shame on him for putting you through this. And yes she will micromanage your child. Good luck.

1 Like

Oh hell to the Naw Naw Naw!!! Seems like mom needs to mind her own business NOW!!! He’s a grown ass man and he dont need his moma doing shit for him like that no more. You his wife and thats your job. Girl you better step the fuck up or sit your ass down for as long as yall are married. You gotta put your foot down!!

3 Likes

Take your name off the account and open your own what’s the problem easy solution why stress make a move

3 Likes

You have to try and sit these 2 down and try.n.work out boundaries I think shes over.protective of her son but there has to be a limit he is a full grown man married with a child on the way u can say.to.your mother n.law I.know.u.love.your.son but.i do too and youd like.itmif this could come to a stop your not telling her to stop loving protecting.him him its getting to.be a bit.much after all.hes an adult.if it doesnt.clear up.u.have desicions to make good luck

You’re not over reacting, that hag is trying to fuck shit up. I cant fuck WITH Moma boys!!! They never GROW the fuck up

3 Likes

Just open up another bank account without MIL on it. Stop depositing $ into other joint account. and start conducting the family business from an account that is private for you. If you want a family (you and your husband) account then open a joint account with just the two of you on it. I think It’s also a good idea to have your own personal account even if you don’t have a lot of money in it at first. That way you have money that you are free to spend how ever you want, and should anything happen to your husband, you are not left high and dry with out any funds at all. I have found this very helpful when there is some disagreement with how personal spending money should be spent. Having your own income stream and account also takes some of the power from others to dominate your life.

What a nightmare, he obviously has no backbone. I hate to see families alienated but she needs to give him an ultimatum. Just not natural. She needs to get her own life.:confounded::confounded::confounded:

1 Like

Omg get out while you can. Yes, she is going to be worse when bubs arrives. Omg get your bank details changed too. Shes toxic.

3 Likes

First of all … How old are you? Are you over 21? Do both of you live under her roof? Second… Regardless of your age, open your own account in your own name and let her account stand pat… !!! Second get direct deposit in Your Own Account. You had a right to have separation of family… You Need to set Boundaries … and she NEEDS to understand to STAY IN HER OWN LANE…!!! If she can’t follow these rules, then she still needs to keep her distance and stay in her own lane. Your income is yours… You are entitled to make your own financial decisions… some may be bad, while other may be great. You live and learn… or ask for financial advice from your bank or investor or whomever.

6 Likes

not normal at all and it’s time he makes a choice…mom or you? You can talk to mom…ask her if her mother in law micro managed her marriage…it’s a place to start with her. Maybe she doesn’t see what she’s doing or just thinks it’s normal after so long. If you had dated long enough you would have seen this and avoided this mess. You have to take some responsibility for it. You entered into the relationship with some hope he’d cut the ties (assuming he wanted to) and now you blame him and her?? At this point getting pregnant is the final step in crazy town in this scenario. You didn’t mention if you have a paycheck going into the account also, if so, start your own account. To me that’s 2nd level crazy on top of crazy. Good Luck!

If it’s still like this it’ll never change. You should of had this taken care of before marriage.

2 Likes

When you deliver bubs ( she will be there for sure ) ask the dr to cut his umbilical cord while hes at it.

3 Likes

Just try to set some boundaries. Remove her from your bank account and ask her to limit her phone calls .

2 Likes

He has to grow up and put up boundaries before the baby comes. His mother will try to.hold on but you need to tell him she needs to back off. If you dont do it now it will get worse. Get her off your bank account.

3 Likes

And you didn’t foresee this problem before you got married?

10 Likes

DIVORCE HIM. I guarantee that neither he nor she will ever change. Move to another country too while you are still pregnant. (but before 7 months… flying restrictions by airlines after second term.)

3 Likes

Why did u marry him…

2 Likes

I married one of those…she sent us 15 Christmas cards our first married Christmas. Yep. 15.
Wanna know what happened?!?
I came home from work one day after we were married almost 11 months…he was moving home to live with his mom.
We got divorced after being married 1 year and 4 months.
RUN
RUN AWAY NOW.

3 Likes

You need to have another frank and honest conversation with your husband. Tell him how you feel and that you need for this to change. Don’t stop there though, tell him exactly what it is that you want changed and how you want it to change and come to a compromise on what he wants as well. He has to be made aware of how your are feeling. Don’t hint at it, don’t assume he knows. Because he won’t and never will. You married a mommas boy, nothing wrong with that but you are his wife you are his priority. He won’t change what’s going on with his mother if you don’t tell him there needs to be change. Boundaries need to be set and it starts with your husband. Good luck.

3 Likes

Oh wow no no no been there it only gets worse!!! Get your own account first off and then get out his mom will always come before you and it’s not natural

2 Likes

Get your own bank account and tell him if he doesn’t grow a pair and be an adult then he can marry his mommy. I have no tolerance for man children.

7 Likes

It will not work out

I also married one of these. She told us what to spend our money on and what not to. She still paid some of his bills too. He just couldn’t pop that titty out of his mouth and even with counseling we barely lasted 5 years. 5 hellish years.

hit the door running and dont look back!

2 Likes

Yes you brought this on yourself, you shouldn’t have allowed to continue with the wedding thing while things are still like that

4 Likes

I would tell him he’s married to you. The both of you need to deal with money n checking account without her name on it. He needs to set boundaries

I totally understand. Can you keep a separate bank account? I wouldn’t even tell her you are pregnant. And when she finds out and starts meddling in your pregnancy don’t allow it. Put your foot down.

1 Like

Open an account for yourself now! Do not tell anyone until you are done! Take your money out of the “Family” account and put it in your own. Do not add any other names to the account. You will be happy that you did! Trust me!

You’re raising a man-child. Now he’s got 2 women doing it. I feel for ya but time to dole out some major tough love. Set them damn boundaries. You’ll look like the bitch but so what. Do you want a husband or a grown ass child? Slap him (not literally!) in to grown-up land. Push momma out of the equation. She not married to him. You are.

1 Like

No you aren’t overreacting at all. He needs to tell his mom that she needs to give you guys your space and that you can take care of everything from now on. Number one! Close that bank account and open another. That is beyond weird that she manages the money

You better talk to her

You should have delayed having a child until you got the mom- son thing under control. God help you now.
Yes, create a bank account in your name. Have your psyched autodeposited in your account. Take advantage of any 401k or other savings option your company has and stock away money in your name. You’re going to need it later.

No you’re not over reacting I think you should sit both of them down and explain to them how much its bothering you but be nice about it and try not to get worked up…because his mother probably doesn’t know or see anything wrong with what shes doing but it wouldn’t hurt to tell them both especially if its weighing on you

Tell your husband to grow the hell up

2 Likes

Ex husband is 50 years old AND STILL LIVES WITH HIS MOTHER. Thought it was respectful for how he treated her when we were married, calling her all the time each week, etc. Nope. Never changes. Hes still under her control and as another poster said, attached at the nipple.

He needs to grow a pair and tell his mom to back off. He’s an adult time to act like it. And if he won’t then you do it.

9 Likes

Todd Jones any comments?

Your mistake was assuming his mother would stop mothering him…

8 Likes

Hmmm sorry but if you noticed this prior to marriage, things won’t change now that you are…it should have changed prior to marriage! I would be damned if I had MIL on our bank account, go give mommy the D then… :laughing: