My mother-in-law will not let me host Easter

Host your own Easter bash on Saturday. Have kids egg hunt etc. then go to hers on Sunday.

2 Likes

I sure do wish my momma and or mil were still alive . I’d gladly show up with a smile a bottle of wine and no complaints. I get that you want to host Easter, but why not start with a Labor Day BBQ

2 Likes

Hmmm…I would let her do it. Less for you to deal with. Yes, this is a win for you. Less headaches, less cleaning…etc.

1 Like

It’s time to make your own traditions with your family and stop letting your in laws dictate how you celebrate a holiday!

3 Likes

No she does not always get to control everything well that is selfish of your mother in law and immature at that and your husband should go along with what you would like to do I would say ok you go to your mothers and just not have anything not a good way to start off after buying a new home together .

1 Like

It’s not a control issue…it’s a tradition ussue . You have over 365 days a yr take a date make a tradition it’s hard for moms and unfortunately it will come back to you through your own children…parents at this age you will kiss when gone…you will also understand when your children choose others and other traditions. Don’t hate her. Accept and go or do your own thing. You will feel this way one day soon. It hurts to lose family and traditions and seasonal things.

3 Likes

I’d host anyways… who ever comes comes… if the husband goes to his mommas then big deal… she knew before she married him he was a mommas boy…

So have a dinner without her. You are grown.

If she refuses like that, she has no intention of giving up. Why don’t you have a big Sunday dinner for whole family every month or so. If your family has Easter dinner, you can agree to alternate dinners. That would be fair.

1 Like

Ooof. I would be “sick” on Thanksgiving :woman_shrugging:
I wouldn’t go after that, no way someone is gonna be that disrespectful and controlling to me and just blow it off and go to her “THanKsGIvINg” to make everyone happy. No thanks :woman_shrugging::roll_eyes:

1 Like

Have two and on different days. Be the bigger person and go to hers but have one anyways on a different day and invite her. Then its on her to show or not

2 Likes

Well, first off, you need to tell him how this makes you feel! This is your home and you are the woman of the home. Let him know that “we need to be our own family” and do things ourselves… Otherwise, what get your own home?

1 Like

I personally tell my mother-in-law to kick rocks and do my own thing.
I don’t play that manipulation/controlling bs.

1 Like

Well you could be thankful that she is doing the cooking , cleaning for the get together and all you have to do is relax .being the host is a lot of work …and if really want a get together just pick a weekend and have one

3 Likes

I would host Easter and if she doesn’t show oh well. :woman_shrugging:t3:

I’d still have it at my house, and if ur husband goes to her house let him but she ain’t the one he’s living with anymore

No advice. But I just wanted to say I’m so so sorry. Your mother in law is a monster! She is a witch.

I’d still have one just really small. Invite ger still. Be shortly after hers. She won’t come because she’ll be busy cleaning the big party. After party after big party. Lol then you have less to clean. Hahaha

He married you. He should also think about your feelings not just hers. Come to an agreement one of these holidays you are going to have at your house. 4th of July? Or something soon. You’ll have more time to prepare. I’d be hurt too though if my feelings didn’t matter. So after party of big party. Just chill and relax some small game like cards against humanity or board game or something. She will be busy cleaning up the house. She complain say if you hosted you would ve cleaning but she insisted so she can clean. I can be petty.

Stand ur ground and have ur own. She sounds very toxic.

Put your foot down and tell that mummies boy what’s up and stop going to her house for holidays and if he goes, tell him to take some bags. Forget her, and invite people who she can’t control

Let them have it until they are to old to have it. Then do it

3 Likes

Let him go to his mother. You go to yours. Me, cook my own and stay at my own house.

1 Like

Have a huge Easter breakfast gathering and invite who you want to invite. Begrudgingly, go to her house for dinner, let her do the work since she insisted it be there, and announce to all that now that you two have a home, next year’s holidays are all at your house. (After my daughter and her husband bought a home of their own, holidays are now there, and between his mom and I, we bring the food.) Easier on my daughter not to have to schlep the baby on a holiday, and we moms still get to enjoy cooking/baking.

5 Likes

He should say something to his mother. She needs to know her place and he chose you and he has your back. I wouldn’t care about any holidays but maybe alternate Christmas or Thanksgiving. Or do your own 4th of july parties are better anyway to me.

1 Like

You’ve “kept the peace” this long why change it now?
Do you really want to be alone while your husband goes to his mom’s?
Where is your family?

1 Like

I mean if she’s always hosted then that’s tradition. I wouldn’t try to step on toes until she’s ready to let it go. It probably means a lot for her to do it and see her son and family.

2 Likes

Throw a better Easter than her and if husband goes to hers tell him hope you bring your pjs cuz you’ll be sleeping over there

Why don’t you guys host an Easter brunch ?! Mimosa bar,parties,fruit,coffee,etc ?

I’d Give anything to do what she wanted everytime. I don’t have that choice but dam I miss her and would do everything her way for just 1 more holiday

2 Likes

Do it a different day. Nothing to ruin relstionships over. Be the bigger person. Your husband will respect you for it.

2 Likes

I’d host Easter and that be that. She can have other holidays. As for your Husband I don’t care if his mother shows up at yalls door step he needs to grow up and have your back because clearly this is really important to you!

2 Likes

Just do it.

If he chooses her over you, then tell him to stay there.

1 Like

I now host all holidays because my husband’s dad and his wife never did any and my mother in law can’t anymore. I miss someone pulling some of the holiday weight. :woman_shrugging:

You host at your house. Make memories with your husband. He left his parents and took on you , as one, when your married

1 Like

You could go to her house, poison her, and then host next year.

6 Likes

Have it at home and invite people that would be alone today.

I would still host something at my house and if she doesn’t come then she doesn’t come.

2 Likes

Host your own. Invite your own family/friends. If your hubby wants to go to his mom’s then oh well. Or you can choose a different day. Who says Easter dinner has to be right on a specific day?

4 Likes

Just go and make a big mess :rofl: say “I’m glad this was at your house because gosh this mess is horrid” lol

5 Likes

Let him move back home with his mama?!? Or consider hosting your own gathering with YOUR own close friends and family…

4 Likes

One day your children and grandchildren will be going to your house for holidays and you and your spouses parents wont be around anymore. Cherish it and them until they’re ready to pass the torch… my grandmother is almost 70 years old and we still do all holidays at her house until she physically cant anymore. Its tradition.

2 Likes

plan yours on a different day?
you expect everyone to drop their tradition just because you bought a house?
Odd.
Id go to my moms too if I was in his position. :woman_shrugging:t3:

3 Likes

Been with my husband for 13 years and married 12, last year at Christmas was the first time in many years we’ve gone to their house for ANY holiday, (& I brought the ham, dressing, & dessert lol) but he’s always chosen me & me him, even if I cook everything and only my bestie April comes over, we do holidays at our own house, & the monster in law’s have NEVER once came… their loss :woman_shrugging:t4:

1 Like

Host at your house… people will come if they want…

2 Likes

Host a brunch with friends and let him go to his moms.
Then, I’d tell him that once y’all got married the cord should’ve been cut. He should be more concerned with pissing you off than his mother. You live with him. :woman_shrugging:

Tell him he better back a bag if he goes there for Easter because he can just stay there.

2 Likes

I’d definitely host like an egg hunt with dessert or something. You need to have a talk with your husband.

Host a brunch - with your friends & family -

Host for your family .

Host Easter lunch? You can’t expect to take over her family tradition because you have your own home now but you can create your own.

2 Likes

Not worth making things difficult in a relationship. This is something she’s obviously passionate about and has been doing for a long time. Easter goes for days. If she does Easter Sunday, you do Good Friday.

5 Likes

Tell him go live with his mom since he can’t grow up and then have your Easter party without them

1 Like

Why not let her have it? People get used to tradition. When she no longer can then you can take over

1 Like

She doesn’t disregard your feelings but seems like you disregard hers . You can’t just come in allmof a sudden and decide it’s your way or not. You are disregarding your husband’s family and him. So do hers 1 day and do yours another. 36yrs of marriage and th5s how we made it work. His family one and mine Notger. Seems like your trying to make a line in the sand and I’m so sorry to tell you…it will bite you in the bottom . There’s no winner. You cannot separate and divide family. Uou will lose eventually and it doesn’t make you any better

4 Likes

Pft then do you own. Fck them :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Do all the holidays at her house. Why mess up your house. You have specifically clean for inlaws and some family members anyway. Being a host you don’t get to enjoy yourself with your kids. Go to her house sit back chill watch and join the kids and visit.

2 Likes

Is this Easter party really worth it? If you don’t mind the drama to come then go for it, but remember, it is his side of the family and I bet they go with tradition and go to her party. It’s probably not worth the fight. Your husband seems like a sissylala & needs to stand up to his Mother though lol.

I would still host on another day.

Please go… I won’t lift my hands to help do anything . Make me a mess .

Or you could stay home cook you’re own with your family and friends

2 Likes

It’s not what you need to do… he needs to grow a set of balls!

You dont need their permission to start your own family traditions, how they feel about it is on them

5 Likes

Its not worth hard feelings. Let her have Easter and throw a party another time. It doesnt have to be a holiday. Be the big girl!

2 Likes

Girl, he’s a mamas boy and yeah won’t change. She’s used to being a drama queen and everyone accepting it. Don’t host anything. But don’t go to anything either. That way your not wasting food but making a point. Have just your household have a dinner.

1 Like

If mine chose mommy over me he could pack his bags and stay there. His spouse and your new home together should be his first priority and if it isn’t then he obviously has yet to grow up.

3 Likes

She’s afraid of losing control of what has always been hers… midlife crisis. But enjoy the holidays where someone else cooks & cleans the mess while you can! Because one day, you will be grandma, and the mess is yours lol… Though she shouldn’t be so bitchy…

If he doesn’t stand up for you for Easter then what else will he not stand up for. Is he going to defend you if she makes fun of you if you gain weight? Is she going to make remarks about your house and he’s going to let it slide? Will she be able to come and go in your house as she pleases? These are things you need to get straight long before you get married. Because a mama’s boy is a mama’s boy until his mama is gone and then you’re stuck with a mama’s boy that thinks you are his mama

4 Likes

Let him go. Have it with your babies at your house!

1 Like

I’d hose it any way. If she doesn’t show than oh well no loss there. If your husband chooses to go to his mothers then tell him to stay there.

You’ll save some money, no mess to clean up, don’t need to cook, let her host.

2 Likes

I would be staying home with my children and making Easter dinner and if they don’t want to come oh well invite some friends

1 Like

Let her do it and let her deal with the mess and stuff. In the future she’ll age you’ll start doing for your kids and then their families.

Since Easter is so near I would enjoy dinner at her place but announce that the next holiday or whatever you want to host will be at your new home. That way there’s plenty of notice and if she tries to make it dramatic she’ll have a crowd to answer to. MILs can be nasty, overbearing and intrusive and sometimes need to be confronted. Doesn’t have to be disrespectful but you are allowed to have your moments, too.

3 Likes

Everyone saying plan hers on a different day. Umm no she has a house and she wants to enjoy it and whoever doesn’t show up oh well. If my my husband don’t back me up because he worried about hurting his mama feelings. Babe it’s time for a new husband. I know u want traditions at your home as well. So enjoy life my love and don’t stress…

7 Likes

Get a new husband as you married a Mummy’s boy

3 Likes

F* both Their feelings!

1 Like

What you mean “let you?” Girl just do it. :tipping_hand_woman:

3 Likes

Geez she has issues!

Holidays should not be so stressful and that is never the spirit of Easter :woman_facepalming:t3: idk, I’m sorry.

Please tell me you saw the red flags :triangular_flag_on_post: before marrying moms boy - nevermind you wrote this post 😮‍💨

1 Like

Do something on Easter eve if you really want to have something. If you have small children you can make a big deal of planting jelly beans so they grow lollipops by Easter morning. Maybe even paint eggs with the fam, make it your own :woman_shrugging: Mommas like to have their traditional meals and family time, life is too short to make a big deal of the small stuff

1 Like

Host it… tell him if he wants Mommy to go get Mommy.

1 Like

Your mother in law sounds like a complete nightmare. My ass would just throw a party at my house and wouldn’t care. As far as your husband goes tell him to cut the umbilical cord. Thank god, my man worships me and I come first in his life because I could not deal with a grown ass “man child” still being up his mom’s ass.

You better start now on compromise. You can’t just come in a change her traditions. Do it on a different day.

2 Likes

Let her deal with the mess to be honest. It’s not worth the drama

Don’t ever talk to that B**** again, for real.

1 Like

It sounds like this is their tradition, though!

1 Like

Traditions change as families change. Nothing stays the same and sooner or later you will probably want to change how holidays are spent. There is nothing wrong with that. Try to compromise if possible but don’t allow yourself to be ran over… if you don’t step up when you need/want to change something (Tradition wise I mean) then it will eat at you until you snap. That is when the hard resentment has set in. Don’t wait til then. Do as you feel is right for your family! Good luck!

3 Likes

Enjoy it with your kids let her do her thing

Why not allow her to host Easter and you host a spring party or an additional Easter on the Saturday before. Make it work.

5 Likes

Host anyway. Don’t tell her. Don’t mention it. Have friends over, or no one. :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

There can be 2 dinners… have another, later, don’t call it easter, have a welcome to our new home party, serve roast or something other than what she serves… enjoy life… she wants to do easter, it’s her thing… ok, do something else, no big deal.

4 Likes

it’s probably tradition for her, there will a day when you will have to…enjoy while you don’t

1 Like

Your mother in law is in the wrong…however it is your husbands mother…just let her do it and host a dinner on another date. Don’t let this type of behavior overwhelm you. Good luck!!

2 Likes

Um what?! Why are some mother in laws SO terrible! Have it at your place with your family like you want to. If your husband chooses to go to his mom’s instead of with his wife, then divorce him and let him marry his mommy :woozy_face:

7 Likes

It’s simple. Host at your house and screw her. If he wants to go… let him. Do YOUR thing!!! Make yourself happy. In the end, YOU are the only one you will always have!

4 Likes

sounds to me like it has always been a tradition for her to host it–why take that away from her? Yes it’s not kind what she said to you, I get that. You can always plan some other family gathering at your home.

3 Likes

You do it at your house, invite your family and friends…ENJOY. He should stick with you…

3 Likes

You should come before his mother first of all second of all i can not stand in laws that act that way if u want to host then do it! And say she isn’t invited anyway :roll_eyes: toxic people

3 Likes

First of all your husband needs a backbone. If he can’t can’t up for you now he never will. Host it and if he leaves to go there tell him he can stay there.

2 Likes

Host it at your place … your hubby should be standing by YOU now … you should be his number one priority

5 Likes