My mother-in-law will not let me host Easter

Id go to her house for Easter since its pretty close and it will save you some money and then announce that the next holiday is at your home. If she chooses not to come that is on her and if your hubby chooses to go to her house instead of his own home that is on him to, he can go back to momma

Don’t go to her house

I’d cook at my house

mama’s boy much? cuz that’s exactly what he’s acting like. you should remind him he’s married to YOU, NOT her. Apron strings need to be cut. lines need to be drawn. you AND he need to make a UNITED stand (up tp her) against her. smh. or, do what other’s have said. have one anyway, just don’t tell her. i wish you luck.

3 Likes

Host a Mother’s Day dinner. Not far after Easter.

2 Likes

Host at your house and don’t invite her or tell her :woman_shrugging:t2:

I’ve run into this kinda stuff but, we only have so much time with our parents and then one day, they are gone . Let her host it . Have a 2nd celebration! Double the fun! It will great!

4 Likes

My mil has hogged all holidays for 32 years. The only one I ever resented was Christmas. We would open gifts at home, then my kid would have to leave his things so we could get to her house an hour away for breakfast. We started doing Christmas at my house on Christmas Eve night and she was not invited. I don’t fix anything for breakfast and I don’t stay to clean up. All other holidays, I take one dish and I leave as soon as we are done eating. Might be petty, but it’s how I have kept the peace all these years. A lot of family members have joined me on this rebellion.

2 Likes

Wow!! your husband should be on your side. Id be questioning my husband.

Do it at your house! Invite everyone and those who show up, show up and those who don’t, DON’T!

3 Likes

Omg I’ll come have Easter at your house. That is horrible

1 Like

Let her host it. Go enjoy yourself. She gets ALL the cooking and cleaning. 🤷 But tell her YOU are hosting Mother’s Day at your house and she can come or stay home, her choice.

3 Likes

Just let her host it ! Someday she will be gone then you can host it

3 Likes

suck it up and go…then make announcement at dinner that YOU will be hosting next year…

1 Like

Does it really matter

1 Like

Hon. Look at it. This. Way
No. Mess. No. Cooking. ,. Let her. Have. It. ,Big. Deal!. A. Day. Will. Come she’ll. Lement. &. Change. Her. Mibd

1 Like

I see both sides! “kind of” I did all holidays with my husband’s family except Easter Sunday for 25 year’s. I’m an only child and they were always invited. However everything is always at my mother-in-law‘s home which was very small and as her grandchildren grew the house even got smaller. So eventually my mom and stepdad quit coming because it was so crowded. Finally after 25 years I decided my only daughter and I would go meet them at their camp for Thanksgiving. The following year my mom passed away. I still think about all the holidays I missed with my mom and yes it makes my sad. If I knew then the heart aches I would have it would be different.

I’d plan my event and invite everyone that normally comes. :woman_shrugging:

Traditions change and the only reason she has hosted it all this time is because it sounds like she’d throw a fit otherwise, which she literally said she would. You have your own little family, something every parent has to learn when they have children is that at some point they leave you and have their own immediate family. This especially is true if you guys have kids as they, like I said, are only there for a short time. There is nothing wrong with taking turns or compromising, but I highly doubt if this is her response, she has been reasonable during other parts of your time knowing her.

3 Likes

We used to make the meal and bring it to my in laws,2 years ago we bought a huge house and have been hosting,they are always invited and never have shown…my mother in law even expects us to deliver after hosting…my husband is over his family,his twin sister didn’t even come to our wedding. They are selfish and toxic,dont feel bad if you cut them out!!

Its probably traditional they do it at her house. I would host your own and invite all your family and have one. Maybe husband can go to both and everyone wins! I kinda understand his side tho, all his family will be there and tradition. My parents always host everything. But wouldnt mind someone else doing it. I don’t see why shes upset. Definitely don’t give in if you really want to do it! You are married now. Maybe its time to make new traditions.

Hold your ground or she’ll walk all over you all the time.

I say to heck with it but I don’t care about holidays especially religious holidays.

Let he house then let it be know your hosting July forth or thanksgiving

1 Like

Give her this one. Pick out the next holiday you want to host and announce it and invite everyone at her Easter get together.

6 Likes

Do Easter at your house an invite her if she don’t come it’s on her

She won’t be around forever

6 Likes

do Easter breakfast/brunch at your house everyone will be too full to eat her Easter dinner – I had same issue, does your side of the family go there too? cuz honestly you deserve to have your family/friends on holidays too, the only fair and just way to do things is do every other or share hosting with all siblings and both sides of parents/grandparents taking turns etc. . does she like to host cuz she doesn’t like going to others houses , I host because im uncomfortable in others houses, i cant “relax” but I would never take that away from my kids when they are adults and want to host, we will just rotate

4 Likes

Honestly, you’re disrespectful of his mothers feelings so :woman_shrugging:t2::woozy_face: I hate that y’all can’t come to agreement but how many years has it been at her house? Cause that’s not fair to take this from her A WEEK before Easter AND expect her to just go with the flow

11 Likes

Cry then pray get over it and get on with your life in your new home.

1 Like

My in-laws are phenomenal hosts and cooks! I’m very thankful when we get to join them for the holidays !!! Maybe give her tgis year and try planning a nice celebratory dinner afterwards :heart: luck!

2 Likes

I did that for years. Went to my in-laws. Ignored the fact that I wanted to have traditions of my own with my husband n kids. We never built anything as a family. If there wasn’t a holiday it was birthdays. But every holiday was spent at their house. It was tradition! And when his mom got sick it continued. Now his sisters hold every holiday. And I divorced the man because he never heard me. Never wanted to compromise even once. I didn’t have a lot of traditions as a kid. My mom got sick when I was around 11 and died when I was 13. My youngest brother was 2. We lost the best part of our family. And when I got married I thought I might get a family back. But I didn’t. I begged n pleaded and finally I left. I was alone anyway ( his sisters didn’t like me) so now I’m alone and my kids go to their aunts for every holiday. Don’t let resentment build up.

5 Likes

Let her host. You can host a big housewarming party

7 Likes

Let her do one day and just do Easter dinner for you and your hubby another day.

2 Likes

Easter is a week away. Maybe she already prepped, planned and bought everything? Is it something she has always done? As much as he needs to have your back making him choose is crappy, especially for holidays. Pick and chose your battles. I don’t think it’s worth fighting over at this point but make it clear the next holiday that you want to host.

1 Like

Perhaps had it been planned earlier it would have made a difference. I for one, have already bought everything I need for Easter dinner.

Make a Facebook event and make a big deal about it. Don’t cower to her.

2 Likes

He should be with his mother then :clown_face: and my kids and I would be having Easter at home

4 Likes

Let her host. You’ll have your turn.

4 Likes

Let her have the win. But in all honesty you are winning. No clean up , no food prep, no financial cost, no running around with your heard cut off. Enjoy the holiday as a guest. After many years of hosting I welcome an invite. I’m want to enjoy the holiday, not work my ass off!
She thinks she’s winning but in the end your the winner!! Kick back, enjoy a glass of wine and save yourself a few $$$.

3 Likes

Pick your battles wisely with the in law. Is it worth decade of split holidays. Been there and have had animosity between us after for years.

2 Likes

Girl hold easter at your house and if she doesnt come, she doesnt come. Potentially offer alternating years so she doesnt feel cast aside and you also get your chance to host.

1 Like

I have e­ar­ned $ 16­8­43 b­y doi­n­g wo­rk on­lin­e. Best oppo­rt­uni­ty for an­yo­ne to ge­t p­a­­i­d ever­y we­ek fo­r ju­st wo­r­ki­ng ­on­lin­e in part time. Currently i am ea­r­ning more th­an 15000 Do­l­lars ev­ery mo­nth.

Info Here >>> https://HomeJob38.netlify.app/

Her attitude aside, from the sounds of it, your mother in law has been the one hosting the holidays for maybe twenty years or so. That’s her thing. I host every holiday at my place like Christmas day, Thanksgiving, Easter, and labor and memorial day. When my daughter and her family got a larger house, I asked if I could still have Christmas day, Thanksgiving, and Easter because that was important to me. I didn’t care about the rest. Maybe hosting the holidays is important for her to do for as long as she can. But she could lose the attitude.

4 Likes

Have a friends Easter. Could easily be like a house warming as well. Then go to hers

5 Likes

Sounds like its a family tradition! No need to cause drama in the family over something like this . Be grateful that you have parents/inlaws still around . Everyone saying let her cook it all and clean it all up , thats just disrespectful. When you are in someone elses house family or not , you help . Guess i was taught differently than most .

11 Likes

Do it anyway at a different time so there is no excuse. As a kid we would have to go to both sets of grandparents on every holiday both at different times.

Pft fk that. I’d be doing my own thing. Let her not come, who cares

4 Likes

:rofl::rofl: the fact that you let your MIL dictate your life and your ADULT husband’s life is amusing. Tell her to f*ck off and host it.

Talk to everyone else tell them you want to do it at least once in your own home let them decide where they want to go

You’re kind of overstepping… if she has always hosted Holidays then that is their family tradition… you really shouldn’t attempt to alter their family traditions… if you want to start your own, then do so with just yourself, Husband and your children…

5 Likes

Have 2 Easters. That way everyone gets their wishes met. If she has an issue with that and the husband does too, then you have to decide if you can live the next 20 years being under her control.

8 Likes

Have your on Saturday

2 Likes

Say f it and make easter dinner at your house if your husband goes to his moms then let him but you certainly don’t have to go over there

6 Likes

Tell her to kiss your ass and her wimp ass son. You have right to want holidays in your home too if she doesn’t want to share invite your family or friends and enjoy YOUR HOME

Maybe do it this year at her house, since it is this close to the holiday. I totally understand wanting to have it at your house, since you are in a new home. She is being rude about it though. Discuss with your husband about wanting to have holidays at your home from now on. Once, we had kids, especially since both my husband and I have divorced parents, we find it easier to invite everyone to our home at one time, then to have to make four stops in one day. Christmas, especially, since we don’t want to have to pull our kids away from their gifts.

He needs to grow up and stand up to his mother and she sounds extremely RUDE AND SELFISH that she won’t let you host Easter in your house which is important and special to you!

If he wanted to please his mommy he should not have gotten married should stayed tied to his my mom’s tit

2 Likes

Let him go, and tell him to not bother coming back until he’s done sucking his mother’s tit…smh
I cant stand a man that doesn’t stand up for himself or his own family

I would be upset too. But you have to choose. Do you want to do without your husband for Easter, or do you want to have your Easter dinner another day for your family? Maybe when your mother-in-law passes away, you’ll get to have your turn. I know it’s pretty hard to wait, and your mother-in-law needs to bend a little, but she’s not going to and you kinda need to keep the peace.

1 Like

I wish my daughter would host a holiday, I’m tired of it. At my age it’s a lot of work and expense.

4 Likes

Tell your husband to grow a set of balls and stick up for his wife. Tell your mil that it’s still all about family , she is making it all about her. If she has it at her house tell your husband to choose? If he chooses her he is not worth it.

offer up alternating holidays

I used to do Good Friday at my house and then we’d all traipse off to the old troll’s for Sunday. Yep troll. She’s gone now - not dead the world couldn’t get that lucky - I just divorced her wonderful, amazing, perfect (see sarcasm) son. :joy:
Maybe try the Good Friday thing. She did love the way I cooked seafood. :joy:

7 Likes

Don’t expect to change a tradition just because you bought a house. Plan something of your own whether it be celebrating Easter on a different day, hosting a bbq, game night, house party, whatever. So many other things you can do besides expecting to host Easter Sunday now that you have a new house.

5 Likes

You should host palm Sunday next time, if she has Xmas day have Xmas eve.

2 Likes

You can host when she’s dead.

4 Likes

Can you cook for your side of the family? He can go to his family dinner and you can host for yours.

5 Likes

Have it at your house. If he disregards your feelings then he isn’t the man and I use that term loosely for you

1 Like

A man must leave his mother and cleave to his wife. Pull easter dinner and invite everyone from your side and his side of the family and just enjoy everyone who shows up. Enjoy your Easter. If she shows up, let a conversation go WITH the family on who splits what holidays for what years. Even or odd years assigned. See what everyone says. Its worth a shot. Make it fun and draw names for holiday get togethers.

3 Likes

I’d let her host it. It would save you the hassle of shopping, preparation, cooking and cleaning up after.

4 Likes

Let her do it…My mom prided her holiday dinners and did so until she was not physically able.now it’s my turn…Its such a pleasure to hear my adult children now boast about holidays and holiday foods at grammas and grandpas house. I would suggest to have some type of brunch or cocktail party right before the holiday so u can show off your ware and cooking…good luck…

4 Likes

It is very close to Easter. If she has always hosted. I would not change this year. But, after the holiday I would have a sit down. Talk about sharing different holidays. When you have children your life be a lot more busy. Sharing holidays will help you. It will make life a a lot less stressful. You may be very happy to be sharing holidays at a later date. This way you both win! Happy compromise! Please remember your husband is in the middle. He loves you both! This is a no win situation for him. Please try to compromise.

3 Likes

If she wants to act like that, let her host. And then just don’t show up and do your own thing. Senile old bat or not, you do NOT disrespect me like that. Be sure to remind her one day that she won’t be the one planning her funeral.

5 Likes

First it’s stated you and your husband really want to do Easter at your new home. Then it’s stated he says to just do it at her house. Try talking to him and see which he truly wants to do. Maybe do Easter dinner at her house and desserts at yours for a compromise. If you live relatively close to each other that is. Or maybe a light Easter breakfast at your house and dinner at hers. Unfortunately, if the holidays at her is her tradition, fluctuating from tradition will cause a lot of drama.

Ewwwww MIL drama. Don’t miss that BS for sure.

1 Like

Stay home and make Easter dinner. She doesn’t need to be there and neither does your husband for that matter lol.

2 Likes

We alternated among 5 of us for major holidays except Christmas mostly Eve us her parents day

1 Like

Get another husband with no mother in law :flushed:

2 Likes

Host it. If he goes to mommy’s have your dad drop his stuff off and file for divorce you have your answer . Take him for alimony as well. Screw that

4 Likes

It will never ever ever change until he sticks up for you and stands up to her. 26 years of that b******* and I’m so checked out.

3 Likes

Have 2 Easter’s it’s not that hard either have ur Easter the day before or the day after there’s always away to compromise

1 Like

I honestly don’t see the big issue. If she’s always done it, just let her do it.

3 Likes

Then if he goes, tell him he’s just making the fire flare up more that ends y’all relationship/marriage. If he can’t see his mother is controlling then he will never see it. Just walk away. I would of done it when she first stated it or like you said she does it every year… I may sound contradiction to my first part but it’s just another view of the situation
…maybe she’s not doing it be controlling…maybe she does it because she loves hosting parties. See if she’ll “help” host at your place instead of hers…if you’ll do it. Kill her with kindness not more hate.

1 Like

Your husband should be supporting you, always. If my mother in law ever said something like this, I can promise my husband would set her straight.

2 Likes

Skip the headache and hassle as well as the expense of hosting. Once you have children then take a stand and host your own family events.

2 Likes

Oh hell no if ur husband doesn’t have your back then why the hell is he ur husband most men have mommy issues and the wives always end up getting the shitty end of the stick

I would not go. Let your husband go. I would stay home with my children. I would definitely not allow anyone to talk to me in that manner. If your husband wants to go let him. If he wants to take the kids, I’d enjoy a quiet evening at home. Let him deal with the kids and his drama momma. If he won’t stand up for you, stand up for yourself.

19 Likes

Don’t GO !!! Host it at your house , invite YOUR side of the family and friends

6 Likes

Whoa…. Not good! If that was my mother I’d be ashamed of her! Remind him when he married you his mommy comes second.

2 Likes

I would host, even if it’s a small event, and I would sit back and see what my hubs does.

Your mil doesn’t get to dictate anything you do. If your husband doesn’t stand by you, tell him he can go stay with her.

1 Like

Do you celebrate Good Friday? Why not invite everyone to your place of worship for that service and host a luncheon or dinner after that service? It would be hard for your MiL to fight with The Lord.

1 Like

You married a mama’s boy I guess smh. Nobody would talk or treat me like that idgad who it is. Simply dont go and let mama’s boy go grab the tit and either put up with it or don’t it’s your choice. You have a house and your own friends and family invite them.

2 Likes

Plan it for the day before

Tell her you’re a close contact of covid and shouldn’t attend. Covid if anything, provides a great excuse.

3 Likes

Tell him to cut the apron strings and man up or you’ll find someone that can :slightly_smiling_face:and good luck

3 Likes

Monster-In-Law Support

MziL is acting like a spoiled brat!

1 Like

I’d just host at your house. Show no anger because they want to see that it makes you mad. Just smile and said that’s fine. Your house too Your choice where to spend time at. Invite friends and family. Make sure it’s a great event atleast better than here where people will say I wish I went to her house instead :woman_shrugging:. Host each holiday at your house this year too. But you gotta act fast since it’s just around the corner no one likes last minute plans it’s a hassle.

2 Likes