My partners mother constantly judges me: Advice?

I’ve has been with my partner for four years, I have a son who is almost seven that isn’t my partners, but he is a stepdad to him. His mother is over the top hates hearing me yell to pull my son up when his being naughty she hates if our part of the house not clean to her standards, but this is the thing we both work I clean before my afternoon shifts, and I clean soon as get home from morning shift. She has now come to the point that she’s got to have a say in everything we do to how I parent my son. I’m stressed to the point she has made us feel unable to even be at home, needing advice on how to go about it all. Mind you; we are waiting for our tenant’s lease to be up to move into our house.

11 Likes

Sorry Honey, you just answered your own question! Your own place!

10 Likes

Good luck dear my ex mother in law sounds the same and after 8 years she finally stood in between so much we split! He needs shit n get off the pot n tell her to mind her own

1 Like

Your own place. That woman needs a reality check. That ain’t her kid. She done raised hers, so she needs to let y’all raise yalls. :roll_eyes: no ma’am. I’m ruthless though, I don’t care if I hurt feelings. That’s MY kid ima do what I feel is necessary.

5 Likes

All you can do is move

2 Likes

Simple move out then she has no say

3 Likes

Girl I will through the same thing just move out . Save yourself the arguments and stress on the relationship. JUST MOVE

3 Likes

Sit down and talk to her and explain that your just as stressed as she is and that you can only hope the tension is gone after you have your own spaces. Also let her know how much you appreciate letting you stay there but it seems to be a big juggle for you too.

1 Like

Need to get your own spot. She cant say a damn thing afterward.

If you’re in her house, its her rules. You can’t expect to be treated grown if you aren’t acting grown.

5 Likes

Rent a place till you can go back to your own

2 Likes

Two families can’t live together, this stuff will happen until you guys get your own place

3 Likes

Get your own place asap cause she isn’t gonna stop.

1 Like

If you both pay rent and she can’t kick you out put that lady in her place and stand up for yourself

3 Likes

Take back control and get into your own home.

Get your own place and a different man

1 Like

To be honest, if one of my kids or their partners were yelling at my grandkids, I’d pull them up too… no need for it

1 Like

How long is the lease time? Yes, stop yelling at children damages the brain and stunts their development.

3 Likes

You need to politely tell her to back off. If your son is not following expectations he’s probably going to get yelled at, that is part of your job. Hopefully your wait isn’t too long for the end of the lease

4 Likes

Just wondering what your boyfriend has to say about this? She shouldnt be telling you how to parent unless your being abusive in any way to him but. Get the hell out. Plain and simple. Cant complain if you keep yourselves there. It obviously has been going on a while maybe dont move in with a significants others parent wspecially when you have children of your own because of this bc some grandparenta are really on that stuff. Good luck

1 Like

Hold out until the lease is up and then move…

Politely thank her for the advice. If it’s not too crazy try it. Also why isn’t your man helping clean if she wants it spotless 24/7?
You guys disrupted her way of life moving into her home. Sure at first it was great, but now she is ready for her life to go back to how it was. Hope your place will be ready asap!

2 Likes

No advice but good Lord do I feel this post! :laughing:

2 Likes

Just deal with it until you are able to move.

Also to add…we lived with my mother for about 6 months while we got into a comfortable place and it was horrible. But my mother never overstepped her bounds as a grandma to my son…she did however try to parent me and my s/o who and we were in our early 30s and late 30s…just breathe. U will be out of there soon

Just try put up with her for the duration time u waiting for ur home. This crap always happens when living with outlaws

1 Like

Have your SO talk to his mother. Establish boundaries. SO should help with housework.

Get an apartment while waiting for lease to expire. I would never live with an in-law. Have partner talk with Mom. Your part of the house? Why is she there in your space? If you aren’t paying her anything it is still her place. Partner should help with cleaning, it is his mother’s place. Hold off on yelling at your son, he is probably immune to it now anyway.

Sometimes better to hold your peace when you can. If not let her know politely of your feelings. Bide your time and thankfully you’ll be out of the situation soon.

I have lived with in laws and it is not easy. It is like the saying “too many cooks in the kitchen”, there are too many mothers in the house.

He needs to have a word with his mother it’s nothing to do with her

1 Like

So you’re not to yell at your child but she can “yell” at you? You need to just tolerate her (it is her house) until you are gone, and that man of yours needs to pitch in A LOT more. He needs to handle his mother, not you.

2 Likes

Ignore it!! She’s resentful, don’t let her get to you!! Just smile and do as you normally would!!

Move out. It won’t stop.

Move out. Let her take care of the rent.

I really hope the lease is up soon.

Find somewhere else to stay until the lease is up, or smile through gritted teeth. That’s it. If you moved in with her, you gotta live by her rules. Now if she moved in with you, kick her tf out and work the extra shifts to cover her rent. lol

Keep the peace until y’all move out.

If she keeps trying to step out of place and into your role then you need to have a talk with your S/O about what’s out of line and then he needs to go have a talk with his mother.

Bite your tounge, it’s not your house, it will be over soon. Just smile at her when you disagree it works everytime.

2 Likes

Time to move out. It sounds like there’s a clash of personality amongst other things. You would do well to set a goal for yourself that is realistic to find your own place. Perhaps the space will improve the relationship.

Grin and bear it until you move :disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

Don’t ever live with family !
The owner has their rules, you walk around on eggshells, everyone feels uncomfortable, someone will always get their feelings hurt .
I would rather live in a camper before family, we lived in a camper for 2 years, couldn’t have been happier :heart:

2 Likes

Move out. If you’re in your own place then you can have your own rules.
If you live in someone else’s house then it’s their rules.

4 Likes

I’ll stay in a motel hotel or holiday inn before I stay with in laws

2 Likes

Sounds like boyfriends mother wants you all out of her house, her house her rules,but talk to her,tell her you are doing the best you can right now and please just cut you some slack.

1 Like

Talk to your partner.

Get ur own home live with me go by my rules I pay the bills

4 Likes

Move as fast as you can and far enough away from her

Those saying “her house, her rules,”…no. you completely skipped the part wher op made it clear they are waiting for their lease to be up to move, meaning they are renting with a lease that will be counted against them is they move early. Only rules that apply are those on the lease, and as long as they follow them, the mom is bitching for the sake of bitching. Also holding that lease over their heads if it’s her house since they have to wait for it to end to move. So no, not her house, her rules. This us actually why children become resentful of parents like this, so if this is how you truly feel, keep that tidbit in mind.

I agree with someone else, however. Bits your tongue, youll be out soon enough. Just dont let her get to you.

Your partner should talk to her but it’s her house and as long as you are there you need to follow her rules. Get a good pair of ear plugs!. Don’t argue or say anything back some people just like to bitch. The less you say the less she will say.

1 Like

What rules are y’all talking about?..the only thing she says she complains about is the house not being cleaned the way she would do it😒 girl boo,your way doesn’t mean the right way😕…she’s butting her ass in where it doesn’t belong when it comes to her child,she needs to fall the hell back

Do you pay rent ? It’'s unfortunate that she treats you like a child. It’s her home but that does not give her the authority to be disrespectful and meddlesome. I would suggest that you and her son sit down with her and discuss how you feel. It may be wise to first find an alternative place to stay. His mother feels that its her home and that she can do and say whatever she likes. It may be easier to simply move into a hotel room until your home is available.

1 Like