My potty trained child has started regressing: Advice?

I have a 3.5 yo and I just had my second he’s now 2 months. my 3 your old was basically completely potty trained and just wore a pull up at night but ever since I’ve had the baby he’s regressing. He won’t use the bathroom instead just pees on himself and says he wants to wear a diaper and be a baby again. I don’t know what to do

26 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. My potty trained child has started regressing: Advice?

1 Like

I have no advice but am also seeking help potty training my 5 year old he refuses its crazy. He is my 5th child and never ever have I had a problem like this with my other 4. I don’t know what it is.

This is pretty common, just keep at the potty training. I don’t have any better tips than that but it won’t last forever.

1 Like

It’ll be a short lived phase. There’s a bit of jealous there and he’s biding for your attention. It’ll pass. Just keep praising him for being such a big boy.

3 Likes

You need to take him to the bathroom when you notice his cues. Keep him on the potty for a few minutes. Keep doing this every 30 minutes to a hour. And do not let him have a diaper at all cause that’ll make things worse. But regression is very normal when a new sibling comes home because your attention is on the new baby more than him right now so when he pees himself he knows he’ll get your attention even if it’s a negative reaction. Start having some one on one time with your 3.5 year old too.

1 Like

It’s normal for an older child to regress when a new child comes. Most of the time they grow out of it

2 Likes

Remind him of all the benefits to being a big kid such as candy, food, and play places as well as toys

2 Likes

Use a reward system to encourage big boy behavior. Reinforce how great it is to be a big boy not a baby. Make time daily for 1 on 1 time. Make it special so he knows he is! Good luck momma

3 Likes

Are you able to spend 1/1 time with just him each day? Even if just a little? He’s feeling being the baby gets all the love. Just a hunch. Hugs mama. And congrats. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

The regression could be because of you having another baby could be something medical . Don’t stress but might wanna take him to the doctor because my best friends son started peeing on his self again and he ended up having type 1 diabetes. Not always the case but having everything checked won’t hurt

2 Likes

Are you spending one on one with him?
This is really common but ways to help him are making a big deal of him being a big boy, asking him to help you get wipes or burp clothes or a diaper etc while giving lots of praise about being a big boy and a helper, as well as the consistently doin the standard potty training stuff

2 Likes

You need to make more time for him bc he feels replaced by his sibling. Allow him to help with changing diapers, clothes, feedings, holding his new sibling. If you make him apart of it then he will want to help . An you can tell him he’s a big boy and needs to use the potty so he be the big helper for mommy.

7 Likes

I had this with my daughter when her brother was born. I bought her a potty training watch & gave her rewards if she managed to stay dry & used her potty. She soon switched from wanting to remain “The baby” to being the big sister.

1 Like

Not to worry. This is a phase. When he’s ready, he will “snap out of it” and go back to what he knows is normal.

Congratulations on the new baby.

It’s common for an older sibling as little as he still is to resort back to wanting to be a baby especially with having a new sibling my advice would be just to give him extra loving extra cuddles and extra praises and if possible alone time with just you and him

1 Like

It’s common with a new baby, try getting him excited tell him he’s a big boy and get him hyped. Also get him involved with helping with the baby, bring you diapers, wipes stuff like that. Or when you go to change baby, have him go potty as well while you change the baby. Goodluck mama!

1 Like

This happened with my son, we let him go back to diapers for about a total of 2 weeks, we found an RC truck (my husband’s hobby) and told my son if he could be fully potty trained he’d get that truck. Within a week he was potty trained again, and then we waited another week to be sure, before the second week was finished he asked where his truck was since he was going potty on the toilet again

2 Likes

He probably just feeling like
All the attention is on his sibling and no longer on him
Give him some time to adjust to the new baby
If he wants to have a nappy
So be it
He will start using the potty when
He is ready

1 Like

He’s probably feeling jealous. My son was 9 almost 10 when his sister was born so I never had to deal with that but he became really clingy and moody

1 Like

Let him know that you will need his help to teach his younger sibling “how to go potty.”

2 Likes

Completelu normal. Do some things with him that makes him feel like Being a big boy and being big brother is cool. Good luck momma

1 Like

He’s jealous. He sees all the attention being put on the baby and feels a type of way .
Maybe try to balance time for just him , let him know how special he is and how important he is to his baby sibling . Maybe try to give him his own special task that has to do with the baby . Play it like it’s a super big role he’s playing .

1 Like

My daughter was the same when her baby brother was born. I told her she wasn’t a baby anymore and she could help with taking care of baby. She wanted to so badly. I told her that wetting herself was unacceptable if she wanted to help. Within a few days she was not wetting herself anymore. Maybe try to get your child involved with helping with baby. Then maybe your child will feel more grown up and stop wetting. I wish you the best. Hopefully all will work out.

That’s not unusual. See if you can get him to go potty while you change the baby and praise him, telling him what a cool big brother he is. Tell him when the baby is bigger, he’ll have to help teach the baby to use the potty. Right now, you can have him help change diapers by getting the wipes and the clean diaper, then putting the wipes away when you’re done. Just keep telling him that he’s such a good big boy and he’s worked so hard to grow and learn all he knows. When the baby’s sleeping, try to spend some alone time with him, reading books and singing songs. They don’t have to be kid songs, just songs you listen to from the radio or on your home stereo.

1 Like

I don’t need a lots of words to prove you’re a big deal because l’ve seen it all. All thanks to you and may God bless you. Thank you so much

l Get paid over $112 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $19642 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Go to This. https://DollarPort552.pages.dev/

He misses being your only baby, start spending a little more time with him like play together a little longer, cuddle him longer, and baby him some

1 Like

l Get paid over $112 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $19642 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Go to This. https://DollarPort577.pages.dev/

I’ve been here momma trying rewarding him he feels left out even though he’s not I have been in the Same shoes mine would lay down like I changed his siblings I promise it does get better just sorta cater to him like he is one and he will soon get bored of it but remind also babies don’t get rewards for using the potty in diaper but using the potty gets rewards. I am not talking something big but maybe a ice cream sundae or his favorite gummies, or maybe a small $2 prize nothing extravagant. Hugs momma I hope things work out I understand how you feel

1 Like

Take a whole day with just him no baby do all kinds of fun things. Tell him how proud you are of him. Tell him how wonderful of a big helper he is. All he wants is to know hes not being replaced that he is still loved. At his age its hard to understand mom can love more then one.

2 Likes

My son did this when my ex husbands grandson came to live with us for awhile. I made it a big deal to include him as “one of the adults” but he had to keep using the potty to do so. He was maybe 4 so being able to “stay up late” with mom (even though he was in bed by 830 instead of 7) and being given tiny chores helped him feel more grown up and soon the baby wearing diapers wasn’t an issue anymore. My son would go tell the baby you have to use the potty if you want to be a grown up boy like me :joy:

2 Likes

Spend time with him. Give him special big boy rewards that the baby can’t have bc being a big boy is how you get said rewards. Just make him feel special (untill baby is old enough to understand rewards so baby doesn’t feel left out) 3.5 was the worst timing for me to have a baby …4.5 was amazing. Completely different. My son STILL to this day has a strong rival against his brother. They are 5, and 2. It’s been extremely rough. But… it has gotten better with alot of work and hands on. Be consistent and reward good behavior towards sibling. You gotta think of it this way. For 3.5 years it’s been you and your little one. No one asked his permission to bring this little baby into this world. It’s so confusing for them and they don’t know how to express there emotions. This is attention seeking behavior and what worked for my family was giving my oldest 1 on 1 time with just him for 20 mins a day. It hasn’t been easy. Having other kids makes it almost impossible. But it went from being unlivable (he literally said he hated his brother, for over a year in a half. Said to get rid of him, take him back etc) to responding to the attention seeking and giving him that time he needed and now he somewhat likes his brother. He tolerates him. Worries about him and plays with him. We also had to lay the law down and be very consistent with punishments regarding hitting. Good luck. It’ll eventually get better.

1 Like

It’s normal but frustrating. Try some extra attention and point out the advantages of being a big boy. He can pick his own toys cause he’s big, the baby can’t have popsicles cause he’s a baby, he can’t color, or play with sidewalk chalk. He’ll get it, it’s just an adjustment.

1 Like

l Get paid over $116 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $19740 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Go to This. https://DollarPort666.pages.dev/