My sister in law plans to feed her child almond/soy milk: Advice?

My sister-in-law recently told that me that she plans on feeding her daughter only soy milk or almond milk once she turns one. She hasn’t done any research or even talked to the pediatrician over it, and she’s not vegan and has no issues with lactose intolerance. I want to know if that’s a safe alternative to whole milk? What are the advantages/ disadvantages if she does that instead? She is a first-time mother and doesn’t have much experience/knowledge and tends to randomly just do whatever she feels likes; for example, she told me that she feeds her food during the and basically only feeds her formula at night to sleep. Her daughter is just turned nine months and I’m unsure of how long she’s been doing that for, but my son’s pediatrician once told me that it doesn’t matter if toddlers under one eat solid food or not (my sons a picky eater) but they have to keep breastfeeding/ formula feeding all day to properly get all their nutrient intake. Ive looked into it a bit but want to get more info from ppl who’ve done it. Thanks so much

75 Likes

If the baby is happy and healthy butt out :woman_shrugging: everyone parents differently

13 Likes

If that’s what she wants to give her then it’s fine. It’s not your business.

5 Likes

Why do you care about her child? There’s nothing wrong with her choice to feed her own baby.

6 Likes

I guess I don’t see your reasoning behind a child who is lactose sensitive/intolerant and a child who doesn’t have it? Are the nutrients any different in one child vs the one with an issue? Also it’s not like she’s starving the child or anything of the likes. I’d mind yourself like others have said. Although I do see a huge issue with lack of formula all day when baby is only 9 months.

8 Likes

It sounds like you need to butt out.

10 Likes

My dr approved almond milk for my younger two starting at 1 because milk was making them super sick they are both super healthy 2 and 5 year olds. The dr asks questions like that so they will correct her if they don’t believe its best for baby that’s not for anyone else to decide :blue_heart:

3 Likes

Have you talked to her? How do you know she hasn’t talked to her pediatrician. My son only has almond milk and quit drinking formula completely around 10 months. Almond milk is a safe alternative to milk. If you’re really concerned you need to be having this discussion with her and not a bunch of people on Facebook.

4 Likes

My daughter has been on soy formula and is now on soy milk and thriving. She has super bad reflux And her dad and I are both lactose intolerant. we drink lactose free and she does soy. She’s been on solids since 4 months and we limited formula once we started solids she still had some.

Everyone parents differently so let her do her. I am definitely the most free range out of all my friends with my ways but my daughter is also a bit head as well and I feel it’s because I let her explore and let her try new things at 17 months. Her fav meal is salmon and rice :laughing:.

Eh I don’t see the issue my child has been on soy milk since he was 1 he’s now 9 and we are just introducing diary slowly into his diet :woman_shrugging:t2: he’s healthy lol

1 Like

Goats milk is a good option

Both of those are great options. Apparently you need to be the one who learns a small lesson here.

7 Likes

I’m sure her child’s pediatrician will talk to her about it at the child’s well check appointment if theres an issue with that choice other than that you should kindly mind your own buisness

4 Likes

Kids don’t need milk to survive

4 Likes

Absolutely safe and healthy. My son drink no milk. But he eats enough dairy products for it to no matter.

1 Like

I mean you could always mind your business :slightly_smiling_face: not your monkey not your circus.

16 Likes

Disadvantages include putting your nose where it doesn’t belong. Milk isn’t necessary for a healthy balanced diet.

22 Likes

My pediatrician said my son doesn’t have to have whole milk without ruling out an allergy. Cow milk products aren’t as good for us as we think anyways. A lot of people use alternatives. We use oatmilk as my son does not like almond milk and was having some congestion with whole milk.

27 Likes

Almond milk is only secondary to foods that are the primary source of of the 1 year olds diet.

I don’t think this is something you should be involving yourself in. It’s her baby, and I’m sure the pediatrician will talk with her about it

22 Likes

I only feed my daughter soy milk. She is 21 an fine

3 Likes

Maybe she’s researched this a bit more than you have. Sounds like you need to let her raise her own child and you do you.

15 Likes

Also, have you even spoken to her about this or are you just so bored that you had to put her business out? Because I’d be pretty pissed if my in laws posted about my parenting online rather than be direct. That’s childish, and quite shitty.

The fat in milk is actually good for brain development. My dr was going to put my daughter on 2% before 1 because she was over weight. But because no done my research and brought it up to the Dr he put her whole milk instead. 🤷

1 Like

Talk to your pediatrician if you want to give medical advice to your sister.

2 Likes

No one needs to drink milk. If she decides to give HER child almond milk that totally her choice.

18 Likes

Solids diet could well provide all necessary nutrients of a balanced diet and milk supplements. Sounds like healthy weaning at the child’s pace to me. I’ve had 4 kids.
Complementary feeding is like breast and bottle…its another option that works and every child is different.
Its one thing if she has asked advice or ideas but this whole…she’s a first time mum and doing what she wants…she’s following her child’s needs by instinct. Thats her lookout and I think being supportive is the way to go with this.
If the kid doesn’t take to it then 🤷 but we all do what we think best. As we are allowed x

5 Likes

Holy everyone’s rude here “ mind ur own “ like this is suppose to be a safe spot she just wanted advice , it’s really not that big of a deal all it shows is that she cares !!! :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

6 Likes

Without sounding like a total bitch: why are you trying to gain information to tell her how to raise her kid? Unless the child is in any physical harm you really shouldn’t be getting involved. I feed my kid solids 2-3 times a day and have since 4 months old. She drinks formula yeah, but I always started her on solids early. Not to mention it doesn’t matter when the baby drinks the milk. She could consolidate the milk into one or two feedings. As long as she gets her daily amount. And as long as her kid is doing okay at weight checks it truly does not matter. And just because she doesn’t use cows milk doesn’t mean it’s bad. Cows milk isn’t necessary in all honesty…

Plant based milks are fine. Lactose is the sugar in the milk. The proteins are still there that causes the milk allergy.

There are other non dairy options if she doesn’t want to do almond/soy. Coconut, pea protein (Ripple), oat, almond, cashew, nut blends.

Don’t force a child to drink milk if they don’t want to

3 Likes
  1. breastmilk/formula consumption is based on a 24 hour period. Most babies at 9 mo sleep about 10ish hours overnight and therefore get most of their consumption during the day. However that’s not every baby…and it’s still not as many bottles as you think. Many 9 month olds drink between 24 and 32oz per 24 hours. That’s only 3-4 bottles if baby drinks 8oz. At a time.

2. many many people have been switching over to using almond milk rather than cow’s milk and that’s ok. As long as the baby isnt so underweight they need the extra fat from whole milk its perfectly fine for them to drink almond milk.

3. theres still 3 months until baby turns 1…which is probably why she hasn’t discussed it with babys doctor yet.

Take a breath and chill out a little bit. Just because shes not doing things your way doesnt means shes doing anything wrong.

1 Like

My son had to go on soy milk once he turned one. He couldn’t tolerate cows milk and had severe nut allergies so almond milk was out. He’s fine.

2 Likes

Actually, it’s unnatural for humans to drink cows milk. Almond milk is much healthier. She’s the mom, she may parent a little different than you, but different isn’t wrong.

40 Likes

My oldest daughter has only just started having dairy and she is almost 13 she couldn’t have dairy or soy as a baby the alternative imo is better any way . I’d leave it alone and worry about your kids not hers

Formula should be main source of nutrition til 1. After that solids and whole milk, the disadvantages to her choices is those dont have the fats for healthy brain development. As long as she gets those fats elsewhere yhe milk doesnt really matter

2 Likes

I think you should mind ya business. :woman_shrugging:t3::nail_care:

7 Likes

Did she ask you for your opinion or are you asking bc you think it’s wrong and want to be right? She isn’t going to do exactly what you did and that’s okay.

10 Likes

I’ve never really done cows milk. My daughters are older and choose to use it in their cereal, but that’s about it. I never gave them glasses of milk to drink, it grosses me out haha.

My daughter drank almond milk for 6 months after turning 1. She fine. Dr actually told us to try it bc whole milk gave her gas

1 Like

Regular milk is not good/natural for us to drink. My daughter was drinking almond milk 9 months up but I did speak with our dr

1 Like

Everyone has the right to make their own decisions. She needs to make sure there is no nut allergy before using almond milk. To much soy can cause constipation. My daughter drinks oat milk instead.

Is this child yours? If not, mind yah business.

3 Likes

My middle son refused milk after about nine or ten months unless he had gotten food. Our pediatrician said as long as he’s getting the minimum amount of oz a day for the bottle then he’s fine. Let them parent the way they parent. They don’t have to be the same as you.

As a mom with a child who has a dairy allergy (different from lactose intolerance), my son can only drink almond milk. We tried numerous alternatives and almond is the only thing that works for him. Our pediatrician said it was really up to us what we went with for my daughter whether we try whole milk or just stick with almond for both. We also do vitamin D drops (she is breastfed and I’m not big on milk myself) so that helps. I think with the right dietary choices and an okay from the pediatrician there isn’t much reason to say it’s “unhealthy”

I get WIC and they allow soy milk. Its a safe alternative to not being able to drunk regular milk. Im lactose intolerant and they’re allowing me to switch my son to soy milk once he’s old enough. Theres 3 different types of milk and dairy allergies on my side of the family.

Soy/Almond milk past 1 is fine. My daughter never really took to cow milk until she got to school and her friends were drinking it. With the baby only really drinking formula at night, I might broach the subject with her and ask if her doctor approved. You can just play it off like "Oh when i was raising XXX this was the thing! things are always changing! Did your doctor tell you to do that? " that way you can express your concern but not make her feel bad if she didn’t realize she was doing something wrong b/c like you said milk is important that first year and food is “for play” and if her dr actually did approve then you have your answer there! good luck

1 Like

I gave my son almond and oat milk once he was on solids at 6months. He’s still drinks oat milk but is breastfed aswell. I chose oat and almond cos of eczema and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with giving your child that choice of milk. Everyone’s parenting is different :slight_smile:

As long as she feeds the baby other Calcium, vitamin D, and high fats foods like Cheese, Yogurt, Avocado, Almond milk or Almond butter, Beans, Broccoli, Calcium-fortified cereals, Calcium-fortified orange juice, Calcium-fortified soy milk, Green leafy vegetables (like collard greens, turnip greens, kale, and spinach), Papaya, Salmon and Tofu. Soy, rice, or almond milk products that are fortified with vitamin D​ is just as good.

My son has been eating food since he was able to. Skipped the baby food phase and he’s only ever had almond milk, mainly due to a potential allergy since he didn’t tolerate most formulas or breast milk. I personally don’t see anything wrong with what she is doing. As long as the baby is growing and healthy it shouldn’t matter what alternatives she provides for her child. My youngest was completely different from my oldest. There’s no formula or science to back up that one way is better than another. Unless she’s harming her baby I wouldn’t worry about it. My youngest also only had 3 bottles of formula a day. One in the morning, one before nap and one before bed. He’s perfectly healthy!

1 Like

My son was on soy formula for most of the time I was bottle feeding him and he did fine.

It’s totally fine. My daughter had a lactose intolerance she drank almond milk that’s what the pediatrician recommended

1 Like

Cows milk is traditional but isn’t actually healthy. My oldest drank soy because she was loctose intolerant and my youngest drank some kind of organic milk alternative with DHA… I don’t remember which one. As long as the child gets all their nutrients then they will be fine

Not urplace. Would u want her telling u how to feed/reside ur kid? But I’ve only heard of one issue with soy milk but with boys and it was after a very long extended amount of time. Most drs and WIC in my area do skim or whole or 1% milk not 2% because they swear its the most unhealthy and fattening. But again her and her doctor will decide what’s best

Sou milk has lots of estrogen. Almond milk uses millions of gallons of water to produce.

Honestly every kid is different… our son was a solid food kid at 9 months. I think unless the child is malnourished mind your own fucking business.

I’m getting real strong “Mind ya business” vibes. Don’t parent another person’s kid.

8 Likes

And this is how the saga continues of judgemental mums.

Nothing wrong with it

We did goats milk to transfer to whole milk

It’s literally not your child.

5 Likes

Ummm mind your own business :woman_shrugging:

8 Likes

It may come as a suprise but humans don’t actually need cows milk at all. There are a few alternatives including almond and soy milk (soy milk is better for toddlers).

15 Likes

My son has only drank soy formula and now lactose free full fat milk

You do not know for sure what she has or has not done as far as research . And in this case I would really just mind your own mothering

3 Likes

It’s her child let her do what she feels it’s best it’s not really any of your business what she does with her child

Mind your child and your business

4 Likes

Sorry for being rude but its really non of your business how she feeds her child, And its totally fine. Babies can eat at a few months old and dont even need cows milk at 1 or at all for that matter stop poking your nose in.

5 Likes

It’s fine. No human actually needs cows milk…

4 Likes

My daughter is deathly allergic to cow’s milk, she’s on almond plus vitamin D drops every morning. But mind your business before you get popped in the mouth.:innocent::rofl:

2 Likes

First I want to say she’s ultimately the mother and we as friends, relatives, ect do not know what’s best for everyone else kids. Almond milk is a great alternative! Cows milk is even very hard on our adult bodies to process properly. Almond milk provides way more calcium than cows milk. If she can afford it I personally believe it’s a very better option than cows milk. They need all the calcium they can get with their growing bones!

1 Like

This is one of those situations where you just mind your business.

2 Likes

Not your child not your business. She’s not abusing her child by giving them almond milk.

1 Like

Soy milk and almond milk are actually recommended for children, especially if they’re lactose intolerant. My baby is 8 months old and she eats food with us and mostly breast feeds throughout the night. My doctor has not told me this was bad. I would honestly mind your own business. It sounds like this mama knows what’s best for her own child.

Love this page , so much to learn. 30 + years ago at 6 months my kids were eating soft table food and drinking cows milk. Kept a journal about new foods as started and how baby did , gassy, spitting up, loose bowels or two hard . Times have changed. Noted by table foods I mean fruits and vegetables cooked soft a mashed up .

3 Likes

There’s just as many benefits to almond and soy milk than there is cow. I think you just need to stay in your lane and let her parent her child. Give advice, sure. But that’s not your baby so

3 Likes

Not your child mind your business there is nothing wrong with almond milk and for feeding the baby during the day and drinks formula at night and he is perfectly fine and healthy

3 Likes

My daughter drank almond milk for almost a year after she turned 1. They eat table food at that age too. She’ll be fine.

Not your child… but on a side not cows milk is not necessary for humans. It’s not made for our bodies. I personally don’t do soy just because of the estrogen, but it’s her choice

Been doing it with my 3 year old since he was about 10 months too, nothing wrong with it. I feel cow’s milk made him grumpy and uncomfortable. Now all he likes is almond milk. He can tell the difference and right away tells me which one he wants.

Posts like these crack me up. First why post anonymously??? Own your question and what comes with it. How about express to your sister in law how concerned you are about a baby that IS NOT YOURS!!! Maybe she is like me and would put you back in your lane real quick

3 Likes

I gave 4 of my 5 kids only soy after they stopped nursing :woman_shrugging: my mil is a pediatrician and their own dr said it was fine… for reference they were innorder the ages of 12 months, 11 months, 13 months, and 23 months and they’re all healthier than my oldest who was formula fed and had cows milk at 12 months

To all those saying “not your business” yes, in general, it is not if she is trying to tell her what to do with her kid.

BUT the way I read it is she is concerned for them, it’s not something she is familiar with and just wanted to verify if this was something that could be done or was safe.

I would suggest talking to her about it, what her reasoning is and feelings and go from there. She doesn’t have to change anything, but it may help you both understand where the other is coming from.

3 Likes

Most 1st time mothers do what they feel is right…thats how we learn she can feed her kid what she wante

My kids never had cow milk. They breastfeed until 2 or 3 then go to water.

As long as the child isn’t being abused it’s not your business what she does, if the doctors thought something was wrong they’d have brought it up in the babies appointments with the mother.
Just cause shes doing it differently to you doesn’t means it’s wrong

I was also told cows milk is not a necessity. Not sure why we are made to think it is. My son is over 3 and we attempted it when he came off formula and it just wasn’t a good fit for him. No issues with his nutrition or development.

My pediatrician told me my daughter needs whole milk from age 1 to 2, then low fat or 1%/2% after that. She said the whole milk contains extra fats the child needs for that first year.

A child does not have to go right to cows milk.

Literally nothing you said was harmful. And NONE of your business

4 Likes

She should at the very least consult her pediatrician. If her pediatrician is okay with this, then she’s good. But if not, can the child becomes malnourished, she can get in some trouble for not properly feeding her child.

Almond milk has more calcium in it than regular milk.
I made the switch due to my son having a dairy allergy and then found out it’s actually better for him!

That’s a good change! My sons favorite is the dark chocolate almond milk

1 Like

My son is 2 and loves his soy milk. I bought the strawberry flavoured one.

So, my mom didn’t give us dairy and now I have a little allergy. I’m not full on lactose intolerant, but I don’t feel sexy if I’ve ate a lot of cheese :sweat_smile:
I’m giving my son milk so he doesn’t have the same reaction.
If when he’s older he decides to not drink cows milk I want it to be his decision. Not because I molded him.
Not gonna lie, it’s a little irritating not being able to just go get Cold Stone :sweat_smile:

If her daughter is only 9m she should definitely be getting formula all day not just at night that can lead to malnutrition. Food before 1 is just for fun

1 Like

Not your child let your sister in law take care of her baby how she sees fit.

It’s so bloody idiotic, saying not her business. It’s a baby who might suffer because it’s mother is clueless, but it’s fine, isn’t :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: no ones business, but when something happens, shittone of bile and acid is poured over the whole blood internet, because “why someone didn’t do anything” 🤷:face_with_symbols_over_mouth: wtf is wrong with people this days.
Just some time ago some moronic mother almost killed her daughter because she wanted to feed her vegan so she was giving her almond milk. Doctors barely saved her :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

Got so many of you act like bitches she’s worried if you won’t want answer than move on its not hard

Cows milk is not necessary. Milk alternatives are perfectly fine. Nutrients can come from all sources.

1 Like

You think whatever she decides to do is a dumb choice just because she’s a “first time mom”… that much is clear. Obviously you’re the one who hasn’t done any research when it comes to the milk thing.

2 Likes

My two year old like soy better than whole milk. It’s what I drink. The other kids drink whole but my pediatrician says it’s fine. My advice is that even as a first time mom she is doing what she feels is right. I think it’s her child and unless she is abusing or neglecting the child just stay out of it.

1 Like