My son asked for a baby doll for Christmas and his dad said no: Advice?

My 5 year old son has asked for a baby doll and stroller for Christmas and I was so happy about grabbing it for him…but his dad flipped out and said no because he isnt a girl and doesnt need girl toys…he is heartbroken now and I feel so bad for him…its likle the only thing he asked for…shoudl I still get it? How can I convince my husband to chill?

49 Likes

Only adults have rules about colors and toys, fun police🤣 let the kids be kids and just play.

55 Likes

Ewwww thats some toxic masculinity right there. You get him that doll and stroller and tell him that there are no toys just for girls and not toys that are just for boys. They’re all just toys and anyone can play with whatever they want.

38 Likes

He will be a wonderful Daddy. They also push there children around in prams. Go ahead and buy your young Daddy his baby and pram. If his Daddy has not been a pram pusher for his children, his son will show him how.

37 Likes

The only way little boys are going to grow up to be good dads is if they are allowed to practice empathy and caring. We need to normalize that there are no “boys toys” vs “girls toys” when kids are young. Buy him the doll and stroller.

30 Likes

My son asked to be a “dad” two Christmases ago he was absolutely buzzing on Christmas morning that year and it’s been his favourite since even when he needed glasses we ended up getting the doll glasses too, he absolutely adores it…. And he’s the most boisterous boy I know, (and I have 3 boys) sometimes I have to babysit my “grandson” :rofl::rofl: while he plays but he sleeps with him every night

Was such a win present he loves taking him shopping and pushing him in his blue pram xxx

29 Likes

Get the Doll for your kiddo. Dad can get over it. Nothing wrong at all.

14 Likes

There are boy dolls. My grandson had what I believe was a cabbage patch boy doll he called George at 3 or 4 years old. He is a strapping manly young man of 16 today. One of the tallest toughest Lacrosse players you will ever see. He is also very good with his 5 year old brother. I think it just teaches boys how be good to
people.

12 Likes

Sons can grow up to be parents too. Is he one of those that doesn’t actually put in any effort to being a parent and thinks he’s babysitting his own kid/s? Get it for him anyways. He can kick rocks with that kind of gross attitude.

12 Likes

My response would have been “God forbid your son learns to be a father”. :woman_facepalming:

9 Likes

He even came on holiday with us to Spain :rofl::rofl:

9 Likes

My son wanted pram n doll my ex moaned but luckily I live speate from his dad so I was happy him taking dolls out ended up a giggle I ended up carrying dollies i used to get mine from charity shops xx

2 Likes

My two year old has a baby doll and he has named her Susie….I think it’s weird that toys have a gender….shouldn’t matter what a kid wants to play with shouldn’t them playing and using their imagination be the key thing? Tell him to get TF over himself. :100:

6 Likes

Will he still say no if it’s under the tree and your son unwraps it!? I got a stroller and baby doll for my son last year and he loved it so much. It was so worth it. He has since forgotten about it but for that time, he was happy and such a cute little “dad”!

6 Likes

…he’s a child…let him be one. Only tight wad adults have such rules about gender specific toys/clothes/colors/etc…

Get it for him anyways…he’ll grow up to being an amazingly caring brother/uncle/father…

I swear only men stuck in their own insecurities has a problem with little boys playing with dolls and kitchen sets :woman_facepalming:

5 Likes

Yes you should get the toy and arrange a quiet suitable time to have a really long perhaps several conversations with his Dad colours, clothes, toys, tv shows, books and sports etc are not male or female. Respect the choices the Dad makes for himself but do not let him make those choices for your son. I had this battle with my sons father. It is not fun or easy but this is a battle worth picking it will effect many decisions to come. Get ready with facts even articles to help you. Don’t go in guns a blazing it will only build up walls and if need be seek outside help. This may seem OTT but this ridgit thinking will keep reappearing and children and adults need safe open space to develop all facets of their personality and that should first and foremost be home. Good luck to you and your boy

3 Likes

My mom worked in a daycare and she said all the kids played with baby dolls. It teaches them to take care of something/someone smaller than them, responsibility, and to be good nurturers. I have 2 boys and always allowed them to play with whatever they wanted, stuffed animals and babies included. Your son will be a good daddy. Let him get the doll.

2 Likes

Both of my boys played with dolls and you wanna know what it did? It made them compassionate, affectionate, and had them practice to be the best big brothers to their little sister now and I’m sure the most involved amazing fathers in the future.

4 Likes

Does he parent? (The dad) if not then I get his thinking, but if he does parent his kid as he should, frame it like that. Boys can grow up to be loving dads and that’s manly, so why can’t he have a baby? Babies aren’t only a woman’s responsibility.

3 Likes

My now 16yo still has his baby up on a shelf. His father didn’t like it but didn’t throw a fit about it. I now have a 2 yo and the older is a pretty good big brother! But still ‘all male’, so the doll did nothing to make him ‘feminine’ but helped him learn to care for littles.

4 Likes

Get him the doll. I feel that keeping boys away from girl things and girls away from boy things. Limits them of knowledge of that gender. And see the opposite gender differently in stead of equal…

4 Likes

My 4yo little girl plays with ninja turtles all the time! It doesn’t make her any less of a girl! Children develop compassion and imagination by playing with all sorts of toys. Playing with a baby doll doesn’t make him any less of a boy. Goodluck with this battle mama!

3 Likes

My son had a boy baby and a blue stroller he wanted to be a good dad and he took care of his baby

4 Likes

My son had a cabbage patch doll :woman_shrugging: but I’m not with his dad and don’t gaf

4 Likes

This is a great option, I gave my son this. It also comes with a cape and mask for your child. My son loved it, it’s a baby doll, just not girly. But I will add that he also has about 5 girl dolls, and says all he wants to be when he grows up, is a Dad :heart:

2 Likes

Ask his dad whether he would have the same vision for a daughter.

My mom wouldn’t let me play with baby dolls growing up for fear I’d become a teen mom :joy_cat::joy_cat:

I’m sure she wouldn’t have let my brother either. Lol.

She also wouldn’t let my brother play with fake guns either - for fear he’s become a gun toting menace.

Tell him that maybe he would’ve turned out to be a better father and not crush his child’s dreams with his bare hands, had his parents given him a baby doll as a child.

3 Likes

Get the doll, watch what he does with it, says alot…speaks volumes about your hubby too…

2 Likes

Girl if you don’t get that little boy his baby doll. It’s a toy. And it also teaches them to be caring

2 Likes

Get him the doll Being a caregiver isn’t a gender roll You both should be proud that your son is loving and caring The world needs more secure, loving and caring men

1 Like

Absolutely DO NOT get it for
Christmas. Get it today!

3 Likes

i would still get it and the hubby can get over it.

4 Likes

When I’m at my husband he said his son will never have a toy kitchen baby dolls any of that stuff guess what my house was full of. No man or anyone will ever tell me a boy can’t have a doll or a girl a truck.

2 Likes

Boys playing and taking care of a baby teaches them to be a good daddy…

2 Likes

It’s not a girl toy. It is actually a way for boy to learn to be caring & nurturing. My 4 year old grandson is as boyish as he can be , but he plays babies with his 5 year old girl cousin…it’s so cute to watch.

1 Like

i let my lil grandson play with dolls AND even wear nail polish :woman_shrugging:t3: he’s 12 today and doesn’t want to waer nail polish no more and doesn’t sometimes the smaller girls asking him to babysit their dolls and he does but HES ok and yes he will make a awesome dad some day :heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

Get him the doll… the hangup of the adult is not the child’s responsibility and the child should not be denied simply because dad is uncomfortable with the “what ifs”… his happiness and joy matters more on this one.

1 Like

Ask your husband if he will tell your son when he gets older that he shouldn’t be a good father? … get him a boy doll, maybe he just wants to be like his daddy!

1 Like

Yes, get the baby doll and a stroller. Maybe he just wants to play like he’s a Dad. Either way get him what he wants.
Dad will get over it

1 Like

Oh wow. So boys can’t be good fathers… and have a pretend baby. So sick of these are boy or girl toys that’s crap! Tell your husband he is being unkind and encourage him to get the baby doll and teach his son how to treat a baby. Maybe one day he will be a big brother or a father of his own and he will remember his dad teaching him.

Ask his dad this… when your son has his own child would you expect him to push the pram? No given toy is for either gender if the child likes the toy then so be it. No wonder there are so many men out there that fail to pick up the slack when they have fathers not allowing them to role-play with what they deem a “girls” toy

I would give it to him anyway. If dad disagree, to bad for him. It isnt a dangerous toy. :heartpulse: What is dad afraid of?

1 Like

My son took very good care of hid “baby” and it was always there for him when he needed it. He eventually outgrew the baby, but he still has it. I have never regretted letting him have it, even though his dad didn’t want him to.

My son has a doll he’s had for 4 years (my son is 6 years old) he treats it like a real baby (his baby) it has bottles and toys and a doll stroller and actual baby clothes (cause it’s the size of a 6 month old and real baby clothes are cheaper than doll clothes) he talks to him and feeds him cares for him plays with him and what has it done it’s caused him to be empathetic and it’s teaching him how to “care for a baby” teaching how to be a good person and let me tell you my boy loves the boobies and girls so giving a boy a doll doesn’t teach him to be a girl or to be gay (you are born that way not taught) what it does is helps him become a good man a good father

1 Like

Teach boys that it is awesome to love kids & babies. Be a caring dad, teacher, or even older sibling?

1 Like

Get him his baby doll, my son wanted a spice girl doll at the age of 8 and got one, it had in no way damaged him at all he still remembers getting it and how cool.he felt

1 Like

That would be a gender neutral toy for sure since there are life skills involved and definitely being a dad is a life skill!! So I suppose dad’s don’t hold babies or have paternal feelings and emotions :thinking: :confused: sounds like your husband has some emotional issues he needs to deal with.
I say boys/girls all needs to play with dolls and house like toys it teaches like skills. Time to have a serious talk with your husband. Pulse thee minute your son hits preschool he will play with one anyway because they have tons there. For all the kids to learn from!

My son had a doll called Nina when he was 2/3 took her everywhere. He is now 38 and an amazing caring, loving Daddy to his two little girls

Pick your battles my daughter wanted to be batman for Halloween her dad said no guess what she was batman and so happy everyone loved her costume.

Give your son the dollar and tell his dad to shut up and grow up. Boys can play with dolls, it’s no different then them playing with their action figure toys. Also him having a baby doll can teach him to one day be a good daddy,uncle, so on.

When my son was 3one of his little friends at the park had one. He was constantly chasing after her for it. Whenever she would leave it for a second he was pushing it. I was telling my husband. At first he was like no way. Then he took him to Target, bought him a pink carriage and a girl doll. He loved that thing. Had it for years. Took it everywhere with him.

Get the doll, lose the husband…before you lose an eventually very damaged son who grows up resentful because his father treated him that way.

I know lots of Littles that played with dolls , their grown men now and great daddy’s , please don’t lock your son into rules , and roles , it’s a toy , babies represent human beings it’s not playing momma with a apron . Kids look at it as a toy at five . Get him the doll :+1:t2:

It helps teach little boys how to be a good daddy!

1 Like

I didn’t realise having a baby was only a girl thing lol thought it may teach a boy To be a good father? I’d just get him one anyway and dad can deal with his misogynistic feelings by himself

Buy him that doll and stroller! It’ll make him a way better dad than his own!

1 Like

I must be old fashioned and my adult kids must be as well. No baby dolls for boys, just action figures and stuffed animals besides their other traditional toys. It’s how I was raised back then

My son had a doll when he was little and let me tell you he is the best daddy to his little girl so proud of him buy the doll and stroller let kids be kids

My son was 2 when my twins were born. To prepare him, his dad bought him two baby dolls so he could get used to babies around the house and learn to play with them gently. I don’t even understand why your husband would be mad about a toy??

Mehhh Dads gotta quit the toxic stereotyping… Get him that baby and stroller and let him be a kid for god sakes… If anything, your encouraging him to be compassionate and affectionate and how to be responsible… Best active Daddy in the making…

Just get it for him anyway. Your husband needs to sit tf down and get over it. Does he think men don’t have kids? Aren’t teachers? Aren’t doctors? Don’t have younger siblings? It a toy meant for kids, not for a specific gender. My son asked for a baby doll one year and he loved it. I had my youngest earlier this year and now he’s the best big brother ever

You guys crack me up. Do you think men that grew up in the 70s and 80s played with dolls? My husband didn’t and is an amazing father. I would not let my little boy, if I had one, play with dolls.

Get him a boy doll, maybe dad will realize all he is learning how to be a good dad!

1 Like

I would get it. Kids don’t see “boy/girl” when it comes to toys until it’s pointed out. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with a boy having a baby doll and stroller. Go forbid he be a good dad, uncle, whatever one day.

Yes get it for him. My young son wanted a kitchen setup when he was little. He loved it!

Babies aren’t girl toys…maybe if your husband knew this he would be able to properly care for his son.

Tbh I don’t care what my little boy plays with once he’s happy, if he wants a baby doll and a stroller then he can have one :woman_shrugging:t2:

How about a male doll of some sort as a Buddy. You know one with overalls or jeans, a t-shirt, tennies and a ball cap. You could get a doll/mini wagon, instead of a stroller if it’s an issue. Maybe dad would be more comfortable that way, and your little guy would have a Buddy to take around and play with.

First, baby dolls do not teach children how to be parents. They do make boy dolls and boy babies as well. Compromise with your husband (also the parent) get a My Life boy doll.

Best gift my son asked for and got he’s such a sweet heart with babies because of it

Get that boy a doll!! Men carry their babies around, feed them, change diapers and push strollers!! Your husband sounds like an ass.

He will make an amazing dad one day. I’m not convincing my husband of anything. I’m buying the baby.

Get him a JJ doll and a grocery cart and tell dad that JJ is a boy and he pretends to take JJ to the grocery store hahahaha

1 Like

How does your husband expect for your son, to be a loving father (if he decides to) this will teach him to hold a baby, if if it’s just a babydoll.

Dolls are not girl toys. In fact there’s no such thing as “girl toys- boy toys” it’s all a marketing ploy. Get your son the doll and stroller for Christmas and tell your husband to grow up

They have BABY BOY dolls!! My baby girl has a boy & a girl identical dolls & she favors the BOY doll!!
Tell dad what I told my hubby, grow the f up!! It promotes healthy family life!! Healthy nurturing!! But oldest 2 boys r now 19 & 21 & loved playing with my Cabbage patch dolls! & their build a bears! & turned out to be amazing big brothers to our adopted daughter!! Helped change diapers, feedings, etc & told us cause they learned with their dolls how to be gentle that they knew what to do with real baby girl!! & that I helped them for when they r ready to be daddies themselves!!!

Nothing wrong with that! Get him a boy one :blue_heart: maybe he wants a little brother or sister :heart:

I’d get him the doll and stroller anyways.

1 Like

My son had baby pooh bear for a while. Baby pooh bear had diapers, clothes, and blankets. He never actually asked for a doll he found one of his he wanted to take care of and we rolled with it. There’s nothing wrong with your son wanting to play daddy.

Tell him it’s teaching son to be a dad not a girl like come on :sweat_smile: or leave him cuz obviously your son in the future will be bullied by his own dad based on his dad’s homophobia even tho your kid isn’t gay for all he knows and just wants a baby doll.

Little boys who play with dolls turn into amazing daddy’s

2 Likes

Play the song “William Wants a Doll” from “Free to Be You and Me.”

Honestly, it’s sad that we’re still having this discussion 40 years later.

I don’t get why is it ok for girls to play with"boy" toyss but boys play. With dolls there’s an issue .

I’d still get him the doll and stoller… maybe even an outfit and bottle to go along with it.:heart:

1 Like

Yep buy it. MERRY Christmas :christmas_tree:

1 Like

My son is 7 now he has never asked for a barbie or baby doll which if he did I wud buy him one but he has a 7 yrs old cousin we spend lots of weekends at her house and he will sit for hours playing house daddy mommy Barbies he loves it they have fun :blush:

They make boy dolls and it teaches him how to do daddy time.

1 Like

Yes you still get it. Your husband needs to take the stick out of his you know what. Baby dolls aren’t just for girls.

If that’s what he wants get it for him! There’s boy dolls out there.

1 Like

We gave my son a boy doll and a shopping cart since my hubby is also homophobic. :wink:

We bought our son this doll. It’s a boy. He loves placing house with his sister. He loves boy toys too but he likes being a daddy

My son 7 has a doll, has had since he was two. He also has a ton of trucks and cars.
Give your son the doll and stroller. It’s just playing pretend.
I also work with pre schooler and you would be amazed how many boys flocked to the dolls and played house. A few even dressed up in “girls” plays clothes.

buy him 2 :relaxed: he’ll probably have ‘children’ in the future anyway so may aswell practice :relaxed::relaxed:

1 Like

Ask the dad why is he seeing child’s toys in a sexual way And should you be concerned. I find this gets people to see that toys are for all kids

Since he is so young it’s prob fine, if he was like 13 it would be strange haha. Kids just like toys!

Buy it! I bought trucks for my girl’s when they were little. It’s a toy!

1 Like

Get the boy a doll baby. My God, you’re only little once.

1 Like

Maybe if your husband had a doll growing up he wouldn’t be so worried about it. :roll_eyes:

It’s a good way for them to learn to be a good dad

Get him the doll! Please for the love of all that is holy. My brothers played with my barbies and they are both straight as uncooked spaghetti!! Toys/colors/etc. Have no gender relation, get over it dad.