My son has been biting kids at daycare: Advice?

I have an 18 month old son who is biting at Daycare and getting written up for it, but he bites other children’s fingers. Once tried lifting up their shirt to try to bite them. What can I do to get him to stop biting?

11 Likes

As a Mum of a former biter I feel for you!
My eldest ( now 14 ) was a terrible biter if he got frustrated or angry he would bite the nearest person and draw blood on many an occasion
It was horrible I found once he was able to communicate better it stopped - other than this it was a case of supervision and distraction I’m afraid x

My 7 year old did that when he was a toddler. It took about a year before he finally just stopped. We tried everything we could think of to get him to stop and nothing worked. I think it was just a phase for him, but it was horrible because the other parents at the babysitter’s house looked at us like we were terrible parents because of it even though we were trying our hardest to get him to stop.

When I worked at a day care I had a boy that bit alot they bought him a necklace that he could bite when he got mad

1 Like

Get a teether necklace for daycare and have the teachers train him to bite his necklace when they notice triggers. I am a preschool teacher and that is what we use

2 Likes

Every time he bites scream really dramatically/suddenly and LOUD, almost like a factory reset, he will be like omg wtf are you doing and should soon cut it out

5 Likes

As a formal childhood biter the only thing that made me stop biting with my mother to bite me back. Never again would I bite another person after that. My mother did everything I remember getting punished I remember getting my butt whooped yelled at but the only thing that made me comprehend and understand how bad it hurts was to have it done to me. Unfortunately I was a stubborn child and needed tough love.

27 Likes

The only thing that stopped mine is time out or a flick in the cheek lightly. First time no second time flick and 3rd time time out.

Now she does something and you offer time out and she goes no and shapes up.

But when she’s teething god help us all she’s the worst I’m hoping her 2 year molars finally came in cuz it was bad I looked like an someone with an addiction cuz all the bite marks it was bad.

Honestly having a chew toy strapped to them was the only thing that helped me until he was a better communicator… the fact that they’re writing up a baby for biting seems a little ridiculous to me though.

1 Like

Mine was send to therapy and that help with his behavior. He was 2 at the time.

Bite him back. Its the only thing that stopped me when I was a toddler. Its the only thing that stopped 2 of mine from from doing it. Everytime he bites, you bite him just as hard. Sounds mean, but swear it works and from my experience it works quick!

35 Likes

Bite him back ,let him know that it isn’t nice and it hurts

5 Likes

I had a girl that I babysat that was really into biting. She had my son biting (they are 5 months apart) I would put her in time out. It got to the point that they would get mad and bite the crap out of each other and I would have to seperate them and put in time out. They both eventually stopped.

Try to explain to him that biting is fun and we can bite! But we WILL NOT bite other people. Redirect him to something he can bite, you should bite it as well and make it look fun, and when he does bite someone tell him very firmly that “we do not bite people”. Practice this at home and let the daycare know what he can bite (provide a small stuffed animal or a teething toy). Kids are impulsive and physically punishing them for biting will probably make it worse since the need for biting is not being satisfied. Repetition is KEY.

I bit when i was younger… my parents bit me back never did it again​:rofl::man_shrugging:

5 Likes

Danielle Caffrey does this remind you of anyone :joy::joy::joy::joy:

My son did for about 5 or 6 months. He had to be constantly redirected, but he was slow enough, someone could catch him before he got another kid

At 17 months old u would think that his daycare would be a little more understanding considering his age , it could just be his way of communicating his frustration although not a good way but kids are all different some bite some scream and some even throw things ,but at this age I think the daycare need to be a bit more understanding and maybe try and help with the situation rather than writing him up I could understand them doing this if he was older and able to understand what he was really doing, maybe try discussing with them and trying to come to a solution as what to do when he does it x

2 Likes

Bite him back good…so he knows what it feels like…it has helped a few kids I’ve known over the years…(their parent bit them…not me)

2 Likes

My second started biting at daycare when she was around 2yrs old - she never bite before that or at home. She was ‘wrote up’ several times.
Finally someone was watching before she bit and toys were being taken away from her. She was biting bc other kids weren’t sharing.
Yes I know at 2 yrs that’s a difficult to do but THERE was a reason behind it. Once we figured it out it stopped.

1 Like

I did it to my son
Told him if he done.it again I’d bite him again.he never done it again

As a former biter that the bite back method did not work on the only thing my parents did that got me to stop is a dab of hot sauce which I know now a days is extremely frowned upon but it did work

I knownit sounds harsh but biting thw child back… ut had stopped me in my tracks says mom and I have done the same with my 2 children and will do it with my 3rd… if he bites u. Be dramatic and say ouch" “oh that hurts” pretend to cry. They act on ur emotions and see if it causes u pain they won’t want to do it as much or at all.

My mother was old school. If me or any of my 3 other sisters bit, she would bite us back. Didn’t take long for any of us to stop biting :woman_shrugging:

My son didn’t stop until I bit him back.

6 Likes

It sounds bad but you got to bite him back I had a son that used to fight people so bad it was devastating me and so I took everybody’s advice and I grabbed him by the almond bit him a good one did not bring skin but that cured him

4 Likes

When I screamed ow as my daughter bit my finger, drawing blood, it scared her and she stopped. Everyone else came running but I kinda panicked because it pinched so hard and suddenly. She hasn’t bitten another soul since :woman_shrugging::joy:

My sons pediatrician told me to bite him back or have the person he was biting too. It only took one time of him being bit back and he never tried to bite anyone ever again.

1 Like

All four of my kids were biting at that age. Tbey were all teething cutting their molers.

1 Like

The only thing that helped my daughter was biting her back. She kept biting her brother. I did it once and she never did it again.

1 Like

My son bit me and only me one time. I instantly bit him back and he never did it again. Like ever.

3 Likes

My 18 year old bites its normal at this age. It Will pass I say no walk away from him when he bites. He’s getting better but is a biter for sure. The daycare should know this is a phase. First you give attention to the hurt person then remove the one who hurt but at 18months its difficult but they do understand and the daycare should know how to modify this too

2 Likes

I was having this same problem with my son in daycare. I did order him some therapeutic teething breakaway necklaces. I sent them to daycare with him and we had no problems or write ups after that. I attached the link for you to check out. ARK's Baby Teething Tools | Teething Rings for Infants

When my daughter was 2 she got bit in the face. The bite was on her cheek and it broke the skin. My daughter then started biting kids and was biting them non stop. The child care center had to shadow her. Which meant she was not able to be out of arms reach from a staff member. The child care center has to write it up every time a bite occurs. It’s an incident that happen during the time they had the child. I was told by several people to bite my child so that it would teach her biting hurts. I bit her back and it made her bite even more then what she was doing. With a lot of redirection and when she would bite or attempt to bite, we got on her level looked her in the eye and gave her a firm no biting it hurts! And then redirected her to another area in the room. Eventually that worked and she had stopped but it took awhile.

I had a biter we tried everything and the only thing that worked was smacking his mouth!

3 Likes

My daycare gave my child a “bite stick” so every time she went to bit they put the stick into her mouth inside. She quit bitting within a week of using it. The used a building block type toy with a sting around it and she wore it as a necklace. Helped with her teething too.

I’ve worked I’m childcare for a very long time and have had multiple biters over the years. When it is a constant biter we do everything we can to prevent it and work on helping them express their feelings without biting. Some babies bite out of excitement too. Children can’t regulate emotions like adults and find an outlet that best suits them.

We would keep a biter as our “pocket buddy.” Meaning very close to us and kept a close eye on. Accidents still happened but it helped decrease alot. We would seperate them from a child if they did bite and explain to them that we don’t bite our friends. Ine biter we had, we attached a teether to them and this helped them alot!

I know it’s your child, & you feel it’s your responsibility to help them stop but since the child is in daycare they should be doing what they can to help prevent it as well.

As for the writeups, this is common. Every time a child gets hurt, any type of way, we have to write it up. If it’s a bite, we have to write up the biter and the person who was bit. It’s a paper trail and protection for the center.

3 Likes

When our little one started biting we would say owe loudly when she did it and then tap her lips and say no biting firmly. It only took about a week and it was completely solved. I feel like lazy people say bite back :woman_shrugging:t2:

Bite him back,and whoop that ass!!!

Two routes. Bite them. Alternatively, get face to face level and talk about why we don’t bite people. Explain how it makes people sad including you and they won’t want to play with you if you bite them. Tell the Day care to do the same when it happens. Maybe draw some pictures of people who’ve been bitten (sad faced people playing without him) and people who haven’t (all playing happily together with big smiley faces in the sunshine).

Maybe ask what’s going on just before your baby bites? Maybe baby is getting frustrated if they can’t talk yet

My kids had BAD BAD biting problems. I was told bite them back :sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob: it was so sad I couldn’t do it until one day we were at some place important and my mom was holding my son who KEPT biting her on her chest. She was in so much pain but held it in. I grabbed his finger and bit the tip and he never did it again. Same with my daughter… She would bite and we would fuss and do everything recommended and was told she would break out of it but she bit her special needs brother so hard on the leg taking a chunk out​:broken_heart: I bit her finger and that was it for her. I cried so much for them but it was my last resort. My son came home from spending a few weeks at a family members house with 11 bites cause the mom just let her daughter bite and bite him. They were both two so she would say it was a phase but mannnnn 3 weeks and 11 bites you as a parent have to do something! I did understand she was a baby but I just imagined the pain my kid had to deal with.

After 3 children who all bit, here is what I have learned. My first 2 bit and I bit them back, the biting stopped immediately. My third, I bit back several times and it had no affect on her, I was given advice that I took that worked. That advice was to take one of those blunt tipped medicine syringes(for children’s medicine) fill it up with Vinegar, and give that to my child as soon as she bites, I only did this s few times(less than 5) and she stopped biting. She is 17 years old, the reason behind it made sense to us(my husband and I) at the time, but it has been so many years, I do not remember the details on the psychology behind this method.

Bite back. Like seriously

Bite him back. My daughter bit me once I bit her back she never ever did it again .

My daughter bit me and I knew that the only way she was going to stop was to bite back. Not too hard though but enough to make it sting. She never ever did it again.

2 Likes

Bite him back thats what i did when my kid was biting