My son headbutts things when he is mad: What can I do?

My son will be 13 months on the 5th. I have had a problem with his head butting. He does it when he’s frustrated, to people, objects, the floor, the wall. Anything that’s in his path while he’s mad. I was wondering if anyone else has had a problem with this and how you got them to quit?

7 Likes

I have this issue. Try to redirect his attention to something else if you can see him getting upset. Seems to help a bit better.

It’s normal. Try redirecting.

My son use to do this when he was a toddler, ignore it was what I was always told. When we respond it accentuates the behavior, ignoring it takes the pizazz away. It eventually worked for my son.

2 Likes

My daughter did that also. Always scared me. The wall, the floor, the TV! Her dad (now my ex!!) would encourage it by laughing and that would make her do it more and PISSED ME OFF!! … She finally outgrew it. Once she figured out how much it could hurt

They sell these if you are worried

5 Likes

Take him to his doctor. My friend has a son who did that

My son did this too. I would redirect him and taught him to take a big breath when he’s frustrated. Thankfully he grew out of this after about 6 months.

DO NOT RESPOND. If you give it attention it will continue

2 Likes

Both of my boys did it and I asked the doctor what could I do and they said ignore the behavior and they will eventually stop because they ain’t going to do anything to harm themselves badly

Like they say. Try redirecting.
Your kid 9 times out of 10 will not hit their head hard enough to hurt them. I have been through this.
It is going to be tough, and it is going to be a long run but they wil grow out of it.
Also, keep in mind, children that head bang when mad tend to be very very smart!

This was my son’s life when he was a toddler he is now 11 he lived with a small bruise on the middle of his forehead when he was 2 to 4 he headbanged everything in sight. Dr was understanding but he said it’s sensory and he will only go as hard as he can until it hurts and they do grow out of it

My niece does it too shes 14 months, honestly just let him he’ll grow out of it… with my niece I’ve told her to do it again, and she just looked at my like I was crazy and stopped throwing her fit and went off to play… I know it sounds mean but she’s slowed down on doing it since I started telling her that, because she’s realizing shes not get the attention she wants but the opposite reaction and she’s realizing its pointless

My daughter is almost one and she has been doing something similar since she was like 6 months old. She throws herself back tho, no matter if it’s on the bed, couch, floor, etc. She learned throwing herself back on the floor hurts so now she just acts like she’s going to do it I guess to just get her frustration out. I ignore it. She stops when she realizes no one is watching.

1 Like

Just went through this with my granddaughter. My kids never did that but apparently this is very common. Doc said not to make a big deal out of it and it would pass. It’s scary as Hell and the bruises on the forehead were huge but it lasted for a few months and she stopped. She would even throw herself backwards on the floor and bang her head. It scares me to death. Hugs.

When he does the head banging…don’t show a reaction. Tell him it’s ok to be mad. But he can’t do what he’s doing. My grandson did something similar. And i handled it that way. He has since stopped.

My son used to do that. I stopped giving attention to it and he stopped.

My daughter did that. It got better after meds for her ADHD, and essentially, after she developed good communication skills. Less frustration = less tantrums.

My son would do this and moved on to holding his breath until he fainted! IGNORE IGNORE IGNORE!! Once I stopped reacting to the behavior it stopped

My son did this as well as bite himself when frustrated. He was later diagnosed with Adhd and he eventually stopped. Lots of talking with him as well about how it’s not good to hurt ourselves and it makes mommy sad to him do it. I don’t agree with the people saying ignore him, if there is something else going on with him, ignoring his behavior is not going to help him get through his strong emotions, you need to be there with and be calm and talk him through it. No matter how little.

2 Likes

My youngest son did it for 2 years until we put him into speech and occupational therapy … they said it was out of frustration bc he wasnt communicating what he wanted with words so we wasnt understanding what was needed. Also he started being more careful once he headbutted a stone tile floor and about gave himself a concussion … if I caught it I would put anything even my foot in his heads path bc that was softer than hardwood floors… they can hurt themselves pretty badly if ignored

Its a phase. Dont give it attention. Im sure it probably hirts him so he’ll eventually stop

my son did this. Over stimulated .

1 Like

It is sensory. My son did that foe about 4 years. It was how ge would greet me when I would get him from school. He does have ASD. Take him to the dr uf you are concerned.

My stepson did this for awhile. Best thing to do is not acknowledge him while he’s doing it. Sooner or later he will grow out of it.

My 2 year old still does this. It drives me crazy :expressionless: he hit his head against the wall one time and decided it wasn’t good enough because I didn’t react so he threw himself backwards and bashed his head on a phone jack on the wall and there was blood EVERYWHERE! It scared me so bad I had a panic attack. Ever since then when he goes into those tantrum modes I put him on the couch or something so he can’t hurt himself. Everyone says that it will pass but I’m not holding out hope anymore :woman_facepalming::sob: I hope it gets better for you :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Lmao my daughter did this shit too. I paid no attention to her when she did that. He’ll eventually do it too hard and learn he should stop.

It’s an attention getter just so he doesn’t hurt his head just say to him do you think you’re a billy goat

I’m probably going to get some hate for my comment…but oh well. My mother in law had an issue exactly like this! One day she pointed at a spot in the wall and said “mommy wants you to hit your head right here!” He stopped instantly! Sometimes it’s just attention they want.

My son did this too. I was always really concerned. But the only thing that got him to stop was ignoring the behavior. The only time I put attention to it was if he said he hurt, then I would kiss him and tell him I love him. I tried everything else.

My kids grandmother has an adopted daughter with shaken baby syndrome who used to do this…her neurologist said she would stop doing it when her head would start to hurt and it’s nothing to worry about :thinking::flushed:

I’m sorry for your situation…but this page is about favorite holidays

My won still does it. I have tried everything to get him to stop headbutting people and things whem he is mad.

Mine did the same thing when he was that age. He’ll eventually learn the hard way when he puts a knot on that head.

1 Like

Must be a boy thing. My 2 year old does it too.

I had one that did this dr said she would stop when it hurts bad enough she did

My son just head butted when he was around that age he head butted me one time and it liked to knocked me out but he out grew it thank God

My daughter did it around the same age. The only thing that made her stop was hitting her head in the hard floor and not liking it

1 Like

My son used to do it…he stopped on his own

1 Like

My 17 month old does this. Im still trying to figure out how to get him to stop too