My son is being bullied on the bus: What do I do?

Mamas I need help. My son is 11 and is in 5th grade. The last couple of days he’s seemed off when he came home from school. Very quite, not himself. Tonight he told me that he is being bullied on the bus. There is a group of about 4 boys who are cussing and calling names. My son told me that one of these boy put his hands around my sons neck on Tuesday afternoon. I’m pissed. If the school was open right now I’d be up there raising hell. I will not allow my son to be treated like that. I will be up at the school in the morning to talk to the principal. What do I say? I’ve never had to deal with anything like this before. I want them to know that I am not messing around but I don’t want to “ go off” on them. How do I respectfully approach this?

229 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. My son is being bullied on the bus: What do I do? - Mamas Uncut

Well it’s not the principal‘s fault so there’s no reason to walk in there and immediately throw hands. I’d definitely express concern and how this is unacceptable and if the boys are allowed to keep riding the bus then a new bus needs to happen or the principal can come pick up your kid for allowing the others to stay. They physically touched him. NOT okay and police can be involved if parents and school don’t handle this 

5 Likes

Where is the bus monitor? That’s literally their job to pay attention to that

5 Likes

I would be getting names and knocking on the parents doors, they need to know what their kids are doing and handle it!

7 Likes

I would ride that bus and see who the little a holes are.

3 Likes

My daughter was bullied in high school. I went to the principal, school and and the girls parents! There’s ZERO TOLERANCE for bullying! If your son can’t stand up for himself, you have to!

2 Likes

Number one keep your cool I get to the bottom of it of course I would maybe even call the police on this kid

1 Like

I would talk to the parents, if they allow thier children to act this way thier will be concaquences

1 Like

Take it to the school principal asap

Instead of using “anger” use “concern” … so don’t say I’m very angry this happened , say how concerned you are for your sons mental and physical safety .

5 Likes

For starters, if your son has a cell phone he should record as much as possible. I would certainly ask what their policy is for bullying on school property and how they handle situations like this. You may even want to file a police report - have officers waiting on school campus with your son so he can identify them. Also, if you get to the point of having to remove him from school there’s a step up for students scholarship for children that are bullied. Man, wish you the best of luck handling this situation.

1 Like

Good luck. I can remember my daughter in 3rd grade being bullied by a boy at lunch. School chose to do nothing so …I showed up for recess and told the punk leave her alone or he will be bullied by older kids. Idc nobody protects are kids in school…he apologized and it stopped

2 Likes

I had an issue with my daughter being bullied so I called up the principal. The other girls that were bullying my daughter made up likes like my daughter stabbed one with a pencil. The principal actually watched the tape, got back to me and apologized to me for the way my daughter was being bullied and took care of the other girls.

1 Like

You immediately take pictures of any visible marks. You then put something in writing to your sons teacher, principal, superintendent and head of transportation detailing exactly what happened. You let them know names, date, time, etc. then you go to the school the next morning. You HAVE to remain calm but stern. If you appear hysterical, they’re less likely to take you seriously. Let them know that you expect this to be resolved immediately and those other kids to be removed from the bus as they have gotten physical.

2 Likes

Schools dont give a fuck. He wants to end the bullying, then its time to learn how to defend himself. Next time the hands go on him, a right hand to the jaw will solve the problem… I guarantee the problem goes away on its own…

Reporting it to school is a good start. Also report it to the bus transportation supervisor, and school board so all are informed and can’t say “I didn’t know”.

Most buses here in Florida (idk where you’re at) have cameras. So I would ask the transportation supervisor to pull and preserve the tape so you can see what went on and have “evidence”.

I would pull the school policies and request the school follow the protocol on punishment, bc sometimes they try ti wiggle out. If they try that, the school board is who will back you up

Put him in karate or some other form of self defense class, tell the principal they have ONE chance to get it stopped or your son will defend himself by any means necessary, up to and including physical force! And then sternly tell them if he is forced to use physical force he will not be in trouble at home and instead will be rewarded for sticking up for himself! :100: Thats exactly what I did when my daughter was in kindergarten and a 3rd grade boy kept physically hurting her. She ended up giving him a front snap kick to his face and he learned his lesson. :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

Find out who it is and go see its parents and let them know that their kids an animal

Most busses now days have video cameras on them. Insist the school reviews the footage and press charges if need be.

2 Likes

Meet the bus, have your kid identify the students for the driver, the driver will write it up and submit the report to the school. Follow up with the school

1 Like

Ask for bus cam to be pulled if this happened on the bus they will see the student assaulting him but definitely get the bus driver and principal involved!

1 Like

I would tell the bus driver, that kid’s parents,the principal and the school superintendent….Time to volunteer on that bus!!!

Coming from a mom who child was bullied for years talking to the parents usually makes the matter worse , call the bus company as well as principal hopefully there is cameras on the bus and someone can back up your sons story. Keep your cool though as much as you want to roll heads. I had to move my child out of the district.

1 Like

I would talk to the parents! Hopefully they will discipline their children! I’m sorry that your son is being bullied! That’s awful :disappointed:

I told my kid to fight for himself :woman_shrugging:t4: the teachers, bus drivers, school board, ecr have done nothing. My child has the right to defend himself

Ask that a teacher rides the bus

I’m a school bus driver. There is zero tolerance for bullying at school and on the bus. I would be contacting the school and the bus company to make them aware if they are not already.

5 Likes

Report it to transportation, ask to see the bus footage( all busses should have cameras these days). When meeting with the principal, don’t use anger, use concern over your child’s safety

2 Likes

I had a girl put her hands around my neck in high school. She got suspended.

1 Like

Could he secretly facetime you on the bus on the way back home? Make sure he doesn’t talk or shown his phone? If something then happened I would be straight there. I would make the school aware as well as the bus company too.

3 Likes

Call the superintendent of the school board. Send your concern in writing and cc it to your lawyer and the local police. Once you have evidence that they are aware they have to do something to protect their own assets if not your sons. You might consider getting a can of mace for your son if the other boy ever lays hands on him again. You could also let the superintendent and police know this will be your next step if they refuse to act.

1 Like

I’d go on the bus and speak to the children. Not sure what responsibility the principal has for childrens behaviour on the bus.

I work for a bus garage. Unfortunately not every bus has a bus monitor. It’s is up to each individual school to put in Their contract to have bus monitors. Definitely call the school to let them know your concerns as well as the bus garage. Your son can also let the bus driver know and maybe his seat can be changed. Not all schools have a seating chart on the bus but some do. If there are cameras on the bus they can pull the footage. Just let them know when it happened. Remain cool as must as you can.

3 Likes

Have your sun pick the biggest one and beat him up they will stop

1 Like

Let the bus driver know, I bus kids and I always tell the students to let me know if anything is troubling them . I fix bad situations quickly. Please let the driver know

4 Likes

Drive them I would figure it out not subject my kid to continued bullying. It might stop if reported or it might get worse or happen at recess instead. Kids can be cruel

Just tell them your son is being bullied on the bus, give them the bus number. Ask if you can have the camera’s pulled off the bus( if installed) and handle this the proper way.

If you’re in the states, all busses should have cameras on them. I know this because my son has some behavioral issues and his driver was having issues with him with things like not staying in his seat, turning around, seat hopping, stuff like that. The school principal called me and told me she had reviewed the video of the incident.

If I were you, I would go into the school, and explain what your son is dealing with on the bus. Calmly. Follow up. If nothing is done, you go to the BOE. If nothing is done you go to the department of transportation. If nothing is done, you tell your son to knock them in the mouth one good time! I’m not even joking. My daughter got punched in the stomach by another little girl on the bus. I went to the driver, the school, the board and transportation. Nothing was done. So I told my daughter to fight back. When she did, of course I got a call from the school and all that. When I pointed out that she had been being bullied, I reported it and nothing was done, they chose not to reprimand my daughter.

I don’t care what these school systems say, their zero tolerance on bullying is bullshit! Stand up for your child and teach him to stand up for himself! I don’t encourage my children to pick fights, but I do encourage them to defend themselves.

Make other arrangements to get your kid to school. Nothing good happens on the bus.

2 Likes

Go off on them. The bus driver is responcible for maintaing order on the bus. Then get the boys parent info and inform them.

Ask for the video and go from there maybe be at the bus stop I will fight kids over mine LOL

You need to get ahold of your county’s transportation and ask for video. Principals don’t have any say on school buses.

If my kid tells your kid to stop bullying him, and your kid does not stop, then my kid has FULL PERMISSION to rock your kids shit and I’m not even sorry!

1 Like

School didn’t help. Parents didn’t help. This is a hard subject. I ended up moving mine to a different school and it’s 100 % better This is a tough situation.

2 Likes

Most schools have bullies. They font do nothing about.it .East Noble sure dont

Put in self defense class … then let that take care of it … but you need to pull him out of school for a bit to handle it … to many kids taking their lives over this anymore

2 Likes

There is no respectful way! There should be cctv cameras on the bus. Report it in email and in person. Document everything. Contact the school resource officer and demand a meeting with the school bus driver. Then make sure they all have your attorneys information and let them know that you have a zero tolerance for this behavior and that they ALL will be held accountable. Then get your son into martial arts classes and teach him how to defend himself. It’s a tough world out there.

My son was being bullied on the bus by another child, he actually came home with marks on him. We took pictures and then called the transportation number and told them what my son said happened on the bus. We also stated that we have taken pictures of the marks on him and if this isn’t handled quickly we will be calling the police. I know this may sound extreme but I will not sit back and do nothing and have my child hurt or kill himself because of it.

1 Like

I told the principal that enuff is enuff. I told him straight up that my kids have the right to defend themselves. That if my son fights back he will not get in trouble at home.

1 Like

When my son was young and this was happing I told the bully that if he didn’t stop it I was going to let my son kick his ass. It stopped!!!
Maybe not the best way but it worked!

Get all the information from your son, names of the individuals and an exact account of what happened so you can give the principle all of the details you have. The principle doesn’t know this has occurred so do not go up there and speak to them in anger. Let them know what is going on and then see what happens.

As parents WE HAVE TO TEACH OUR KIDS NOT TO BULLY! Because there are children COMMITTING SUICIDE because of this. This is our job, mommas! And if you don’t, you are failing not only your kids, but my kids too. And I don’t play about my kids.

7 Likes

Let the driver know that there was an issue. Then email and call the principle. You want to email for documentation. Kids can be cruel, hopefully the situation can be fixed quickly.

You speak with the driver, ASAP. Then, you speak with the principal and school counselor. Demand they review the tapes. Most have them.
If they keep it up, especially physically, you press charges for assault.

2 Likes

Call a meeting with these kids parents and lose your flipping mind, shit is so scary for these kids today, let everyone know not to fuck with your kid and also let your kid know rhat no one purs hands on them.

Sit down and get any information about them you can from your son. Go up to the school when you drop him off in the morning tomorrow and wait for the principal, tell him the situation and names of the boys and seats they’re sitting in and what your boy says they did. Ask if they have footage and if they can handle it or if you need to deal with it otherwise. Buses are bad for bullying because the schools say “not my responsibility” and the district acts like “have you spoken to the school” so it’s ridiculous to even report anything. Don’t blow up, try to remain as calm and non threatening as you can, it’s just easier for them to see it and not an angry parent. I’m not a parent but I had a very bad bus experience my whole life in school and I told my mom this 15 times…

I would go straight on that bus have him point that kid out have few lil words with him and tell him I will be contacting your parents today.

2 Likes

Definitely make & keep a paper trail. Fill out a bullying form & make a copy for yourself & take it to school with you when you go.

In NJ there are cameras on the bus…call the school and bus company.

Take the bus with him to school tomorrow

Go right to their Mama’s

1 Like

Go to the kid’s houses and talk to their parents. School does nothing. No help? Press charges.

3 Likes

Talk to the bus driver, ours would not let this happen.

I would start by talking to the bus driver. He/she can make a report of what’s happening on the bus. Then I would go to the school after you have informed the bus driver. Make an appointment to see the principal Oakdale explain what your son has told you and your concerns.

2 Likes

My son been though this, it only stops when my son hits back. It’s took only one time for him to stand up his self. Now no one miss with him anymore

1 Like

Speak to the bus driver first. My son had issues at one time and I called the driver that day! She and the principle were able to pull the cameras from that day and see everything. It was handled immediately the next day. No problems since then. Not sure if your busses have cameras or not but I would definitely talk to the bus driver first.

3 Likes

Gotta contact the bus company too. Bus driver shouldn’t be letting that happen either

2 Likes

Last advice I gave: I was put in Facebook jail.

7 Likes

All the kids involved should be pulled into counselor’s office! If that doesn’t take care of this bullying the bullys are off the bus. Their parents can then deal with the consequences of their children’s actions.

6 Likes

I had my son record it. I went up school and demanded a meeting. I know it was with the bus company but the school DOES have input. I told the principal that my son is WAY bigger than the kids and when I give him the green light to handle it, my son is gonna be the one off the bus (which is the only reason he didnt)
When I got a response I didn’t like, I then made sure I let them know that if they didn’t address it I would unleash it on social media and let its spread. I didn’t want to do that but I knew THEY wouldn’t want that. They changed their tune quick. There was retaliation by the kids when they got in trouble. So back to school I went and told them I wanted a parent to parent meeting because I want to personally address it with the parent. They didn’t want that either. I filed a County bully complaint, told the principal I did and gave the last warning about the recording. We never had an issue again.

1 Like

You also have the right to press charges for aggravated assault on that boy and harassment of the other three n request a restraining order as well.

1. Don’t send him back in to what is essentially combat.
  2. Demand the video be watched asap.
  3. Go to the school board of principle
    Does nothing.
  4. File a police report for assault and they’ll get that video.
3 Likes

You wait for the bus to come and address it with the bus driver RITE IN FRONT OF THEM LITTLE BULLIES!!!

1 Like

Grabbing someone by the throat is assault 4, a misdemeanor, and its never to soon for that child to get started on his rap sheet, press charges!

4 Likes

We just dealt w racial bullying …my 11 year old and a HS student…report it to bus a d the school if they don’t do anything go up the chain…this is something that needs to be handed ASAP…dont let them hem and haw and make excuses

2 Likes

Do the busses have cameras? Ours do. Don’t let him on the bus until it’s handled.

Do not contact parents

Report to…
School if they do nothing

Report to bus company

Contact the Education Department

Report to Police…

1 Like

If someone puts hands on him, teach him to defend himself… my kids know better than to touch or bully anyone BUT…. If someone lays hands on them, they have the green light to defend themselves.

4 Likes

Confront the bullies…let them know you mean business…talk to the principal demand a meeting with there parents…get them suspended…period!

If your child is being bullied , contact school , ask for meeting. Contact your local police station or go there and explain what’s going on and find out what rights you have , how do you protect your child ? I did this and a police officer came for the meeting explained how I could of filed charges etc. our flip to this was my son was always the biggest kid in his class, but I taught him to Never hit anyone , unless defending yourself when there is no adult present to help , then defend yourself. The school did nothing after the many calls and complaints . Final straw was my son being stabbed with a pencil by this little twit ( which brought blood) my son reacted by nailing this kid right in the jaw , then they tried to suspend my son for fighting . Needless to say , when Mamma Bear showed up with the police and ready to file formal complaint the school was back tracking quit. The parents of other child were speechless. My son ? Also speechless , we still joke about it , he thought somebody was going to jail​:joy::joy:

2 Likes

I’ve been dealing with bullies at school with my 4 year old. It is so hard. I’ve finally told him to hit back. I didn’t want to and at 4 I don’t feel I should have to but it isn’t stopping. If it continues I’m going to have to go to the board director. The little boy last year was eventually removed from the school but only after it became an issue with several students. My son is speech delayed and we’re immigrants plus he’s such a kind boy. It breaks my heart

2 Likes

My son had same problem had stiches 2 times one kid threw him into the lunch bench and another threw him into the bathroom sink. School didn’t do anything about it but suspended him and not the other kid. So I told him next time fight back. The same kid came few months later and didn’t see my son went threw growth spurt and the kid back up and left him alone for while. So I ended up taking him out of school completely and going to the k12 program.

I told my sons if anyone touches them to defend themselves. But I always make sure they know our actions have consequences even when protecting ourselves. I also remind my kids that people are miserable with themselves or may have a hard home life,even tho that’s not a reason to be a bully.

1 Like

When I was in 5th grade I was bullied horribly on the bus. Take him to school if you can. But make sure to get the principal involved.

4 Likes

It’s hard to be reasonable with schools about that or they don’t take you serious. I’m sorry your son is going through this and I hope those boys are taught a lesson

another child putting his hands on your son sounds lilke a battery to me…most school bus’ have cameras now, request to see the video!

4 Likes

100% reccomend calling the bus company vs the school. since it is happening on bus. If nothing happens. Then go to school then administrators

1 Like

Oh momma… respectfully handle this as you see fit. Which would be me emailing asap. I’d go there in person, but you’re going to want DOCUMENTATION of every single interaction you’re going to have about this. Email will give you that in case you need to go to the next level. It would also keep you out of jail. Cause I know if I had to go in person, there’s a good chance that I’d lose my mind. Good luck. And also talk to your child about self defense (if that’s something you agree with). I had someone put their hands on my daughter last year. She knows self defense, but didn’t do anything that day. I told her if it ever happens again, she fights like her life depends on it. I will support her 100%. She is NO ones punching bag.

6 Likes

DO NOT SPEAK TO THE PRINCIPAL IN PERSON. ONLY EMAIL. this way there is a trail of documentation of any issues. The worst things parents can do is talk in person or through the phone because there is no proof of what was discussed. Email, email, email.

5 Likes

I would say talk to the driver, I am a bus driver an I’m sorry my bus is a no bully zone an they all know we never know what someone else is going through an it’s not nice to be a bully but that is me as a driver. I can only hope your son has a driver who takes his/her kids as if they were their own. If no results call the transportation or school an request video

3 Likes

We had similar issues this year and I very firmly told the principal I expected for my child to be safe and these other girls need to be disciplined. Some of these kids are so darn mean. Makes you wonder what their home life is like.

1 Like

I would also go to the police about it too x

Ring the bus company and also.express your fears to the bus driver From once the Children are travelling on the bus it is out of the jurisdiction of the School The bus Company is the only ones that can deal with the problem Hope it all works out well for you all

Get on the bus and deal with it it’s funny watching there jaws drop

get the names and go to the parents

3 Likes

yes contact the principal and have a meeting with him and maybe the parents of the boys that are hurting your son. i would be very upset if this was my child. protect your son and stop this now before it gets out of control.

1 Like

I’ll tell you what I’d do. File assault charges on the boy that put his hands on your sons neck. My experience is that schools won’t do anything. Go to the parents of these boys & let them know. Good luck. Get tough

6 Likes

The bus driver and school would get a visit from the cops. No one would get away with putting their hands on my child in that way.

3 Likes

Please take the bullying very seriously… I’d start with the police if I were you… It is battery when he was clasped around his neck and they are open 24/7…
If that doesn’t work, homeschool… There is no excuse for that bull crap… Battery is against the law…

2 Likes