My son's girlfriend has an issue with everything my wife does: Advice?

.My wife is the right person who takes things to heart. She brought her son’s wife a gift for a gender reveal party, and she said she doesn’t like nor want it when our son was told he said you should ask people what they want before you get it. Then my wife brought our son and his son a shirt to match for gender reveal. The soon wife doesn’t like it, so my wife told them to buy it their selves. Everything my wife has picked out she doesn’t like, so our question is, what would others do in this situation. My mom could have been a lot better to my wife, but my wife never disrespected my mom

83 Likes

Tell your son to tell his wife to respect his mother does your son have no respect for her ridiculous

16 Likes

If the kids are over 18 then you can’t really do much about it. Maybe ask them before buying something or don’t buy them anything at all if she never seems to like anything.

4 Likes

The girlfriend sounds like someone who will never be pleased / happy, so I say quit trying!

2 Likes

Don’t get her none & listo!

The girlfriend sounds rude. I was taught you always say thank you for a gift weather you like it or not. Someone went out of there way to get it for you thinking of YOU!

9 Likes

I think the sons wife was very disrespectful to his mom. When someone buys you a gift normal people are not rude and say they dont like gift. Girl sounds spoiled and entitiled.son should tell her to apologize to his mom.

6 Likes

This is confusing :joy: I thought I was following along good until the end.

17 Likes

Unfortunately we can’t control how others feel just how we react to their antics. :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

I think the daughter in law deserves a nice cussing. Even if she didn’t like the gift, ITS A GIFT. That goes for the matching shirts aswell. Say thank you and keep it moving.
The son should definitely say something to his wife. Thats his mother and she deserves some respect.

12 Likes

Maybe the girlfriend had plans for the gender reveal, like a color scheme or something for the way they dressed. I dont know, I’m trying to give her the benefit of the doubt here.
I think the solution is to either ask or just stop buying anything, although that may open a different can of worms.
Personally, I would rather know if someone liked what I got them because I would hate to just waste money if it wouldnt be used.

7 Likes

That is just rude of her! I say don’t buy them shit anymore!

Obviously the gf has zero fucking manners. I say stop doing things for them don’t get them anything

Never spend time or money on people who can’t even treat you with human decency.

17 Likes

Simply dont buy them sht. The girlfriend is an ungrateful brat who is also disrespectful as well. Sounds like a control freak. The son sounds too in love to speak over her, which them makes him a bit disrespectful as well. You guys will never get anywhere with them. Just dont buy them anything or gifts them anything.
As the wife said to them, let them buy their own sh
t.

8 Likes

She’s a narcissistic brat.

4 Likes

I feel sorry for the son. He has to put up with someone like that.

I would move MY son home . Are we allowed to do that ?

3 Likes

Honestly if they wanted to act that way about it they would be on their own if I was the parent!!! They would either learn to respect me or not get my help!!! it sounds like to me she just wants to disagree with everything the mom is doing and it sounds like the sun is doing the same thing because the wife is doing it. My friends daddy does that and I can’t stand it. He agrees with everything the wife says or does! Like not having a mind of your own!

1 Like

Tell your son he needs to respect his mother. I have a monster in law ans I bite my tongue there has been many times my husband should’ve said something but didn’t. It seems the opposite here I wish I had a nice mother in law your son needs to find a better girlfriend

3 Likes

Is it possible your wife is stepping over boundaries? My mil will get a gift or do stuff knowing to be spiteful. Maybe you need to try to encourage them to have a healthy relationship instead getting in the middle.

9 Likes

Tell wife to stop buying stuff for them. Just send a card. Save the money.

6 Likes

Is this a case of shopping outside of the registry or … ?

Some people are impolite and hard to please. Those are people I don’t give gifts to.

If you’re questioning what your son’s GIRLFRIEND thinks of your wife you didn’t raise him right.

I was raised & taught my kids that if someone buys you something you act like it is the best damn present you have ever gotten. I don’t care if it is an open package of used socks…You better be grateful or act it anyways. Sounds like both her son & his wife lack manners. I wouldn’t get them anything else…ever.

She should be more respectful in general. I’m sorry but she sounds like an entitled brat. He’s in for it I’m sure.

2 Likes

Disgusting little brat

1 Like

Kick the bitch to the curb. Sorry. Can’t appreciate anything, doesn’t deserve anything

Don’t do a damn thing for her.

Son needs to have words with girlfriend. She’s no wife yet. If my sons girlfriend, who I love dearly , ever disrespected me , my son would talk to her, she doesn’t take it seriously, he would boot her out the door. Blood is thicker, your family should be most important, new spouses should feel the same.

4 Likes

Ungrateful is what I say I would be tempted to give them nothing

2 Likes

Personally wish them well and don’t buy them anything.

2 Likes

I’m sorry never kiss nobody ass. She rude as hell. And I most certainly would no longer bother . If he really wants a relationship with y’all he will put her in check

The sons wife is very ungrateful & disrespectful! A gift is a gift! How rotten. This poor Gramma to be :broken_heart:

2 Likes

Never put up with disrespect,let her know how you guys feel ,tell her in a class way thats non acusing

I’m confused on who is who now? But the son needs to man up to his nasty gf she sounds like an ungrateful brat.

4 Likes

Frankly the son is a grown man. If him and his wife want to be disrespectful to his mama. That is their doing but she doesnt have to put up with it. Tell her to speak up. They don’t have to like everything but the least they could do is have respect and say thank you and appease the man’s mom occasionally.

1 Like

I would stop buying them things. Obviously its not appreciated, so why do it?

5 Likes

Personally I feel when buying for others you should know what they want/like. Otherwise it’s of waste of your money and their space.

1 Like

She’s overstepping some major boundaries. Whatever happens in your son’s girlfriend’s uterus is between her and a medical professional. Maybe they don’t want to know until the baby is born? Right now, they’re adults making decisions for their family. There is such a thing as autonomy and freedom of choice. Your wife needs to deal with the consequences of her choices now. She can’t enforce her choices upon other people. She certainly can’t play the victim card when others make their own life choices. It’s abusive.

7 Likes

The next gift should be a book on etiquette…

3 Likes

Kinda hard to understand…

but the little I did understand, the one … that was receiving the gifts. sounds like an as*hole

12 Likes

Peacefully sit her down and ask. Or sit your son down and ask. So you can get to the bottom of the issue. No drama. Keep calm. But find out. The fact you care is nice. But maybe something is missing here

1 Like

Quit buying. Period.

3 Likes

Ehh kind of messy lol

Some might think she’s overstepping her boundaries, but others, like me see it as her just trying to be kind and helpful. Maybe just super excited to be a grandma again.

I personally am not uptight about shit like that :woman_shrugging: my ex MIL bought me a thrift store diaper bag that was ugly, ripped and stained, but I accepted it kindly and thanked her because it’s the thought that counts. I never used it, but I wasn’t about to hurt her feelings after she went and spent her money on my baby :woman_shrugging:

Some people just lack common courtesy and politeness

Tell them from now on they can buy everything themselves and you won’t help them until they can appreciate it

2 Likes

That’s ridiculous, especially about buy matching shirts that don’t even involve the girlfriend. I wouldn’t do anything for her. Once grandbaby is here just give what you want to him. She should be grateful with anything she gets!

5 Likes

To their face i would have said " have some manners the polite and right thing to do is to say thank you when someone gives you a gift you ungrateful shit"

Well the son’s girlfriend isn’t obligated to like nor accept anything from you or your wife. No one is entitled to another person’s time or respect just because of your title. Now if this is a serious long term relationship for your son, then learn to deal with it. Respect your son’s choice in partners. He is an adult and his concern should be her happiness and his partnership with her first. She isn’t coming into your house disrespecting you. She is saying in her own home and on her own time that she doesn’t like something. That is her right

4 Likes

A gift is a gift…for the baby…as far as the shirts you accept them but explain you probably wont be using for gender reveal but they can still wear father son shirts somewhere…but I also have so many questions…is this son belong to soon to be wife?.. or his son by someone else?.. is this ongoing?..etc

Maybe ask your son’s wife/girlfriend before buying it. I had these issues with my MIL. I was grateful, but when I was constantly given things I didn’t like it became annoying.

3 Likes

Don’t buy them anything :woman_shrugging:
If they can’t be grateful for a gift, wanted or not wanted. Then Don’t bother.

Some people would be grateful for any gift they were given

3 Likes

I would have to tell my son that since she doesn’t like what I get and is disrespectful to me, I won’t be getting anything for them anymore.

2 Likes

They sound ungrateful in this post, also is it stuff they would like is she trying to include them to make sure it can be used/wanted my mom usually contacted me to see what we needed and would get something we wanted or needed if they already had it or have no use i would probably say something too alot nicer than what might have been said but maybe because they weren’t included or talked to so their feelings were hurt?

1 Like

I’ve read this post 3 times and I still don’t know what the hell is going on. I guess the gist is that your son’s girlfriend is ungrateful/ disrespectful to your wife and your son is too much of a pansy to put his foot down. :woman_shrugging:t4:

26 Likes

She’s ungrateful then maybe a darn gift card or something and she can shop for herself or just not buy anything for her ever again. And if your son is having a baby then he is a grown enough man to make his own decisions. She doesn’t have to accept the gift. I know thats poor etiquette and rude. She could have just accepted whatever then sold it like most people do when they don’t like things others buy them. But on the other hand, no one has to buy her anything. You’re not obligated to make her happy either.

3 Likes

Stop buying things for them. Maybe just buy stuff for the baby, but ask your son what the baby needs. If it happens with the baby stuff as well, sounds like the fiancé just doesn’t like your wife. Which is sad but happens. In that case, y’all would need to have a deep conversation about what the issue might be and be open to the fact that your wife might have said/done something that the fiancé got upset with and is just holding onto that anger. So it would be wise to be open minded to what the fiancé has to say, unless she’s just a bitch which is possible. But there’s a new baby coming and just so your wife doesn’t get her feelings hurt and it doesn’t cause more drama, I’d stop buying them stuff and just buy the baby things!

I hope my son doesn’t bring home a disrespectful trashy woman like that one. A mans mothers is important. The mother in law made it possible for that penis to impregnate her because she carried that man in her uterus once.

Oh hell no that’s a big no no I’d tell your son that if that’s how it’s gonna be you ain’t doing squat if he’s gonna allow some gf disrespect his momma than shed be getting a tongue lashing along with him my m.i.l. ain’t always the nicest lady but she treats me like her child just like my momma does with my hubby if the m.i.l is actually being nice to the ungrateful witch than your son needs to be putting her in her place not everyone is ungrateful and snobby

3 Likes

Stop buying them gifts then

1 Like

Sounds like your wives put up with so much of your families bullshit and its your job to pull them in to line , ask yourself before asking fb . pick up your balls and square them up they all sound ungrateful.

I would be done buying. They should be grateful not hateful.

1 Like

Maybe your wife and the girlfriend should try to get to know eachother better? Maybe she didn’t like the color or style of the shirts? It’s definitely understandable if your wife feels a little hurt by the rejection of generosity, but it could definitely be more of an issue with the specific present than the person gifting the present. Maybe the girlfriend struggles with same sex relationships and is having a hard time relating to your wife? I definitely think building a better relationship would be a good thing in this situation

You should tell you’re son, you’re wife will no longer be disrespected, and from this day forward they will receive money in the amount you planed to spend, in a nice card.
Any other children give them gifts,
They will soon get the message. Nothing personal from mom and dad.

If she already made a wish list and maybe has a bunch of clothes already and wants other needed things like socks or bottles, etc then it makes sense the gf wasn’t wrong and your wife should have bought off the wish list. But if there’s no wish list, and they don’t already have a bunch of clothes then the gf is a b**** and you need to have a talk with your son. I have a bunch of baby blankets, stuff animals, and clothes so if anyone buys me more, I’d probably react similar especially since I have a wish list and there’s no clothes or blankets on it.

1 Like

Let me know so I know what to do with my sons girlfriend/baby momma.

I’d go get my gifts back and not buy anything else. My sons would flip shit if their GF acted that way. We already dealt with one trying to isolate him from family, I mentioned it once and he noticed it then she went packing. She seems like a brat and expects everything to be her way. He so needs to grow a pair or he’s in for a it if he marries her.

I would stop buying them stuff since they don’t appreciate it.

2 Likes

The clothing my daughters grandma gave us for her I never said anything bad about them. I would send her over to her house wearing them and thats that lol

1 Like

This is a matter of respect.trueful the son should be man enough to stand up for his mom

2 Likes

Don’t do anything for them, they don’t like it, then don’t do it. Let them figure life out, and how to do for themselves, many kids these days need that lesson anyway.

Who tf says they don’t want a gift that was bought for them? Incredibly rude and entitled

2 Likes

Don’t buy anything just wait till baby is born and then love it to bits. She’s an ungrateful hussy.

4 Likes

Stop buying her any gifts 🤷 I was raised, that it was the thought that counts. Not the gift. Or the price. Or even if it was something I didn’t liked lol I’ve received something’s that I didn’t really like, and clothes I def wouldn’t wear lol. But I always took them and said thank you. Because they thought about me enough to get me a gift. The girlfriend, seems extremely ungrateful. And/or possibly has some dislike towards your wife. Maybe find out why? Especially since she’s gonna be around for sometime. See if things can be resolved possibly 🤷

6 Likes

I wouldn’t buy shit! Ungrateful ass!! Its the thought that counts

I wouldn’t buy nothing else for her

1 Like

If they’re getting married, or are married, the whole leave and cleave comes to mind.

sounds. like a butt head.

2 Likes

How about the fact that she’s pregnant and unless you’ve been there you don’t know how hers is going. So maybe they should actually ask first and double check before they make a purchase. If anyone should be a petty brat, allow the pregnant woman to do so. Sorry you’re sensitive but not everyone will love what you get them. You don’t like it? Get them a gift receipt. Stop making a mountain out of a molehill.

10 Likes

Maybe your wife should stop buying things for ungrateful people

4 Likes

give. her a empty. box. for next. event. and tell her go buy. what. she wants with her own money.

2 Likes

Are you your own grandpa???

5 Likes

I got lost, but if the one receiving the gift is being ungrateful of said gifts then the person giving should stop. I don’t always like what I receive but I am grateful to receive something. It’s the right that counts. It would be better that the 2 parties come together and possibly plan together than either just going their own thing. I get not agreeing to everything. I never see eye to eye with my MIL but I would act like an ADULT and talk about it respectfully.

1 Like

I’m just going out on a limb here and guessing that the girlfriend probably planned and dreamt about the gender reveal party. While it was incredibly thoughtful to get T-shirt’s or a gift, it was not asked for and your wife should have considered that the girlfriend had it all under control (and probably had outfits picked out). This is a good lesson to learn before baby arrives to not offer unsolicited advice or overstep. While it’s usually out of love, many new moms do not want someone else placing themselves in the middle of their new little family, events, traditions, etc.

34 Likes

They’re gifts they didn’t have to use them that is just being rude.
She wants to act like that nope tell her you’re not getting her anything

1 Like

Umm I personally don’t like clothing from Walmart but if someone buys my daughter an outfit guess what she’s wearing, the very kind and thoughtful gift someone got for her. I appreciate whatever anyone gives to my daughter because they do not have to do anything in the first place. It is greatly appreciated. Seems like she just doesn’t like her. That’s what I’m getting off from this, talk with them about it because it’s nice to have your parents involved.

2 Likes

Buy them fuck all anymore the ungrateful shits they need to learn a bit of manners whatever age they are I’d accept anything from anyone it’s lovely to be bought things and especially in these times should count themselves lucky that ur good people and parents others wouldn’t get nothing!

Shoot u guys can b my kids grandparents my kids dont have any grandparents left and it sucks I hate seeing disrespectful little girls not being appreciative for what they get smh

6 Likes

Give nothing as seems ungrateful :disappointed:

2 Likes

I can understand wanting particular things. All she had to say was thank you and that she prefers something different. She can return things to Walmart without a receipt. The son and gf could have been better about their approach. It’s okay to be particular but at least be thankful first before you let someone know that you prefer certain things.

1 Like

Stop doing/buying things for them. She sounds like an ungrateful brat.

12 Likes

Sounds like the son need to get her under control. He chose her to be in his life which meant she is in your life to. And since she pregnant she will always be in your family now so he needs to stand up for his parents cuz you didn’t get a choice in who he got with. Prayers for you when it comes to planning their wedding sounds like you will have a huge bridezilla on your hands.

23 Likes

Incredibly rude of the son and wife! I’ve gotten gifts from my MIL I didn’t care for for my kids and clothes I would never have bought for them but I would never have said anything… ungrateful and rude. The son shouldn’t allow her to disrespect his mom…and who raised the ungrateful kids? Good grief! Looks like fun years ahead with this daughter in-law…

10 Likes

I just wouldn’t buy them anything or buy things for my house for the baby lol

7 Likes

I read something recently about trauma, I said that adults who experienced trauma as children find it very difficult to accept help,ask for help or be gracious. It has to do with as children not having control and as adults being unable to relinquish it. It’s very difficult as a caring person who likes to give thoughtful gifts to find them unappreciated. I feel for you having been there. Show her some Grace, even if it is never returned. Understand that your son must stand with his wife even if you don’t understand it. It has taken me 12 + years and lots of hurt feelings on both sides to not take it to heart. My mantra is " Remember not everyone was raised like you" .Deep breath.

2 Likes

I would tell my son that if he continues to allow his girlfriend to be disrespectful to his mother you guys are no longer going to help out or buy anything . If it continues, I’d be done with it.

7 Likes

I’d just simply stop buying. I’d also be a smartass next time and ask what specifically would like and what’s the price range? Thread count? Color? Material? Hypoallergenic or no? Cotton or silk? Brand? Etc.
Lol I can and will play the petty game when the need arises.

11 Likes

stop buying gifts for whoever ur getting them for.

4 Likes

Wow! So ungrateful! I’m sorry you guys had to deal with that.

4 Likes

The girlfriend might of had an idea already picked out for the gender reveal. Such as color/ theme. I say this because I take months planning my children’s events (birthday, Christmas etc) so it might have been little aggravating as if her toes were being stepped on.

As far as not liking anything you’re wife gives, That’s little much on the girlfriends part. She should be grateful that your wife is trying and giving gifts.

If you and your wife don’t want to ask the girlfriend directly. I would ask your son to talk to his girlfriend and see what the issue is. Maybe he can relay the issue and it be something that can be talked thru.

6 Likes