My supervisor won't let me take off work for a pregnancy check-up: Advice?

I’m pretty sure they can’t make you use paid time off, so I would tell them that you aren’t expecting pay for that time but you are going.

1 Like

Why are you asking? I think your baby deserves more than a question regarding what you should do. They won’t let you? Too bad :fu:

Go to HR!..and get a doctors note. Do what you need to do for you and the baby, but have what you need to protect yourself! Ps (not that you don’t know already), your supervisor is an ass!

I would think with a doctor’s note they would have to let you go however without pay. Do your research in your employees handbook.

2 Likes

Contact Human Resources. They will go by the rules and let you know what your options are. Your boss may be trying to get away with something she shouldn’t and HR will take care of that.

1 Like

Yes do what I do best Raise Hell

Yeah that’s bullshit

They can’t tell you that you can’t go. But they can refuse to pay you for the time off

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that appointments for pregnancy are a given and they can’t deduct it from your leave or stop you going.

1 Like

Report them to labour board??

Isn’t this discrimination? They’re refusing doctors appointments for a pregnant woman… Sounds fishy to me. I would discuss this with HR ASAP. Completely unacceptable. You need to have those regular checkups to make sure your baby is developing on track!

2 Likes

Depends on your state laws and the size of the company (for FMLA). I don’t know why it would be a big deal to just take the day, or the 2-3 hours, off as unpaid time off? If that’s your issue, then you either need to get over it, or quit, file a claim that they wouldn’t allow you to see your doctor, and collect unemployment until after the baby is born. You can use your new found free time to find a another job for after the baby is born or work on adding a new skill to your resume. (You won’t get hired while you’re pregnant. Guaranteed.)

I would take that up to HR maybe there are policies with your time you have been there maybe HR can be kind enough to over turn your managers decision and take the day off without any issues.

I always made sure I was off on the days that I needed a checkup. Be it a weekend or on my break from work.

Your pto shouldn’t be used for holiday pay unless you mean that you’re taking days off around the holidays. As for the appointment I’d talk to hr unless they have later apps you can get

3 Likes

File FMLA paperwork. What he is doing is against the law.

5 Likes

I would talk to HR, plus some states they can not refuse you time off for a check-up for a baby. Also I would look into a different job because if your child gets sick later on in life they are not going to let you off to take the baby to the doctor. I live in Kentucky and have never been told I can’t take off for any doctors appointment. The most recent job even let me off anytime my kids were sick and didn’t really hold it against me as long as I brought them a doctor’s statement saying they were at the doctor’s.

2 Likes

They can’t refuse you to go for your appointment, you have 24 payable sick leave days or they can give you your off says on those dates that you are supposed to go

1 Like

This is illegal. You need to call the labour board. This is discrimination against a pregnant woman. Also look in your hand book to see what it says. But they can’t deny you an appointment or a check up.

Is this for just paid time off? Just take unpaid time off. Should be easily part of fmla, but that they company isn’t required to pay you for your time off though

1 Like

You can take them unpaid if necessary!!!

1 Like

Your boss sucks are you sure you want to continue to work there after baby is here

2 Likes

Shuv your job up your hairy aris :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Call in sick and go to the doctor

Every company has an HR center with a phone number you can call to report such an issue. Look in your companies break-room or wherever the legal posters are posted. Start with the HR department of your job.

2 Likes

Make your appointments on your day off or for after you get off work

5 Likes

Take it an unpaid time off. If you don’t have the accrued time you can’t expect your employer to pay for your absence

7 Likes

Do whatsoever that you need to do. Your baby comes first

2 Likes

Make a appointment after work or on your days off

2 Likes

If you trying to take appointments for PTO, simply take unpaid time off and take the loss. It isn’t ideal, but your appointments are important and bottom line is, if you do not have the PTO, they will not give you PTO. If you get your work schedules in advance, work your appointments around that.

4 Likes

I’m so sorry you are going through this. I understand completely. How many employees does your employer have? If it’s fewer than 15 you are not covered under the pregnancy discrimination act and under 50 doesn’t cover fmla. But check your state laws and see what that says. If you work in a state like mine (Florida) and it’s a small business the boss can treat you pretty much however they want and get away with it

2 Likes

Do you need the whole day? Can you schedule first thing in the morning and come in late? or last thing in the afternoon and leave early?

It would fall under unpaid time off. They are just saying you don’t have enough hours to meet PTO. They’re not going to pay you if you haven’t accrued the time.

Ask for unpaid time off and bring in a stamped doctors appointment with the time in and tile out of your appointment. Make two copies hand one to your manager and have her/him initial and date the other copy stating she received it.

1 Like

I agree with Katie Moore!

So take it off without pay. Or go after work.

Schedule your appointments on ur day off so it can be easier and you don’t have to request off. Normally when you request off should be weeks advanced

Why would you need 24 hours of PTO?
Neither your appointment nor your shift are that long
Do you have any upt?

2 Likes

They’re trying to make it difficult for you and drive you to quit. My hubby’s last job did that when I was put on bedrest and had my youngest who had a 2 week NICU stay.

Just get documentation that you were there. If they fire you over it, you can show that to unemployment and you’re covered.

2 Likes

What she is doing is illegal. You need to go talk to an attorney.

1 Like

Just take the unpaid time off. Its better than not going to the doctors at all.

But also call HR if its becoming too muh of a problem

Go above his head to the big boss these check ups are important

1 Like

Why should you expect to get paid to go to the doctor? Unless it is a workplace injury (which you already stated it’s an OB regular appointment) your employer shouldn’t have to pay you to do your job when you are not even at your job…

Personally, I always tried to schedule the last appointment in the day for my OB and then just leave out of work that hour early. I also usually had the option to go in an hour early to still get my hours, or stay the hour late the next day. But if I didn’t then I took the 1 hour less pay.

5 Likes

When are you asking for the time off. Peak or no advanced notice will reject time off.

2 Likes

She has no right to stop you …go for your appointment your health comes first and baby’s

1 Like

If you’ve been there for more than a year, these types of doc appointments are covered under FMLA laws in the US. I do agree with the comments about questioning the decline to your supervisors manager. It’s bad PR and morale slamming for this to happen.

1 Like

They don’t have to give you time off btw for everyone telling her to talk to an attorney lol. If you haven’t been at a company for a period of time; you’ll need to schedule around your schedule. I suggest maybe talking to HR to see what your options are for short term disability, FMLA or ADA as those things are made for pregnant women in a workplace.

Go to your HR department

Take time off without pay if you have to. Its only a few hours away from work, and also extremely important to your pregnancy. This is your future child and must come first.

There is a thing called FMLA.

2 Likes

Call out if you have to.

My last company required you earn your PTO before you could take time off so I had to take time off without pay to go to the Dr. :disappointed:

As a cj major learning the laws that is illegal due to the fact that it could affect the health of not only yourself but your child. He can not deny you your baby appointments

1 Like

This is against federal employment laws. They cannot require you to have a specific amount of PTO in order to go to the doctor. Also, if the clinic is closed on the holidays, they cannot use your PTO to cover those hours. That is a paid holiday off. I would go to HR. If they don’t do anything, report the clinic to the labor board. They are in violation of federal employment laws.

you work 8 hrs a day 5days a week are you lucky enough to have weekends off… can you switch shifts with a co worker ? are you requesting PAID time off ? hoo boy good luck with that

I filed an FMLA claim when I was pregnant. That way all of my appointments and anything pregnancy related were excusable absences. I even would have been protected if I had morning sickness and wanted to stay home. FMLA does not require the employer to pay you for time off if it is not accrued but your job is protected.