My three year old won't listen to me at all

It’s especially bad in public. He will it sit still, he will yell, he will hit. He will throw himself on the ground if he doesn’t get his way and throw horrible tantrums. I feel like I’ve tried everything. I’ve tried gentle parenting, I’ve tried being more disciplinary and assertive and I’m not getting anywhere with him… is this normal or possible behavior problems? Has anyone been through this and have any advice?

2 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. My three year old won't listen to me at all - Mamas Uncut

Ignore the behavior! The more you give in the more hes going to continue to do it. He knows its getting attention.the more you make a big deal out of it the more it’ll happen and even more dramatic. Ask him are you done yet? If not ok then we’ll when your done having a meltdown then come and talk to me then walk away. I used to tell my two your not embarrassing me your embarrassing yourself. Those tantrums were short lived because i refuse to give in the them.

With my two-year-old I found having him on a schedule so he knew what was going to happen helped me the most. Took about a week but once he was in the routine things were going much smoother.

Go see a paediatrician. Could be something that he needs help with.

I’d get a referral to a paediatrician… could be sensory overload which is part of various aspects that can be supported

I got mine screened in speech therapy, and we were talking about how the kids in this generation were stripped of their social opportunities at a very crucial time :frowning: covid forced us to keep away from others, but toddlers need that to learn very important characteristics like sharing and such…try behavioral or speech therapy

Sounds like my Stella who is also 3. We suspect sensory processing issues with her

1 Like

What exactly do u do to treat the issues when u are in public, or anywhere for that matter, thats what u didnt mention.

Could be ODD. My son has it and is on the spectrum.

Attention seeking, although I sat down and screamed once , amazed at silence.Dont try outside you might get locked up !!!