My wife has stage 4 colon cancer: What should I do?

I had no support when my mom was on hospice or passed. Actually I got the exact opposite. Be thankful they aren’t accusing you of killing her & yelling at you constantly. That’s what endured from her family. I’d ask your wife’s brothers for help. They may just not know what to do or what you need. Ask them if they could help with the funeral too. My mom had 2 funerals. Neither pastor mentioned payment knowing I couldn’t afford much. I buried her ashed with my dad. It cost about $200 15 years ago. I regret burying her sometimes. I know it sounds weird but I felt a sense of peace when I had “her” with me. After I buried her I felt the loss more. Do what will help you & your daughters cope. Also go to counseling. It’s very hard when a child looses a parent. I was 11 when my dad died. I wish I was given counseling. I never really got over it.

1 Like

For your daughters, I’d like love letters and advice letters u might hold until they’re older. I’d also wabt a book or teddy bear w my mom’s voice. I’d also want something with her handwriting separate from letters or if those are typed. I’d also want something of hers with her scent or something physical that reminded me of her like her favorite scarf. I’d ask brothers specifically what you need: take girls for a day out or for $x for care/funeral costs

2 Likes

Sounds very cold….:persevere:….grief is very strange and everyone handles things differently but the way this is worded was hard to read…:pray:t5:

4 Likes

So sorry…look at the end of the day its you and the girls! So do what you feel best and later on a celebration of her life if her family steps up…its hard…but on the other hand you want to give her the best but you already have…bow its got to be what makes you feel good about the decisions…her family they will talk say whatever let them you have the girls to care for! She wouldnt want her babies to go without so what feels right is what you do

What are her wishes? If she wants cremated and put in a nice urn, then do this. There’s Always a shit show when a loved one passes between families. If the brothers don’t care then so be it. Just find in your heart to forgive…just never forget. God bless you and your family at this challenging time

Do what you can do. Take care of your family.:sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Do what your heart tells you sorry it’s like this in your time of need people can be awful God bless you :pray::heart:

1 Like

I cremated my husband in 2019. I didn’t have anything fancy. If they weren’t there for him in life, he wouldn’t have wanted them there in his death. F them.

3 Likes

Maybe they are trying to give you your time together. Try asking. People get weird around death. Love and light to you. I can only imagine all of the emotions, be sure to take care of you as well

2 Likes

You can check out Amazon or Walmart for urns. They’re relatively cheap on both sites. May I suggest Amazon has a Rose that you can put some ashes in for each of your daughters. My heart breaks for everyone in this situation. Grief looks different for everyone. Make videos, have mom write letters to the girls if she can for special occasions like graduation or wedding day, share her memory with your daughters. Be open to getting them grief counseling if you see they’re struggling. We have a celebration of life once someone in our family passes. A slide show of pictures of good times and everyone sharing positive memories helps for closure and healings. You just need to establish a new normal. Give yourself and your girls time to grieve.

2 Likes

What is her wishes ? Do what is best for you , your kids & your wife <3 I have my Hubby’s ashes cremated & still hug him on hardest days <3 you will get through this I promise. Do what you have to , to be there for your kids <3 I just had a celebration of life at the one year mark of his passing. It has been a journey of ups n downs but having a nice ceremony with closest people was very healing. Do what you must to heal <3 hugs & know her spirit will still be able to visit , but she will be free & at peace on other side <3

1 Like

It only cost us $1500 to do a direct cremation for my grandfather. My grandmother’s funeral cost us $10,000. There are you’d and downs to both. You can still give her a service with cremation, you can even do it at home. We did that with my friend. However, it’s best to honor her wishes. My mother always said whatever is cheapest. Not everyone feels that way. Many people don’t know you DO NOT have to have a body embalmed to have a funeral (which is a pricy part of a funeral). Also, you can do almost everything yourself if you want which would also cut costs. If it were me I wouldn’t want anything to do with them or their money.

Talk to you wife about her wishes.
A lot of people really don’t know what to do when someone the love is terminal. Her brothers may be in denial.
I wish I could give you better advice.

1 Like

https://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/salud/salud_defeatcancer.htm#contents

I would put her in a wheelchair and take her outside to the park even if it’s just a few minutes to enjoy with her and read her the Bible. I would enjoy every last minute with her… and not complain. I would make her very happy in her last days here on earth :earth_americas:. And tell her how much I love her… I would take pictures of her with the one she loves… have ice cream with her is she can still eat food… :yum: I would not dredge about the funeral while she’s still alive. All I would do is make her last days happy with her…

7 Likes

https://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/salud/salud_defeatcancer.htm#contents

My BIL passed July 8th. My sister had a viewing and funeral and had him cremated. Wanted him burried but cremation is about 3000.00 less where we are at.

Im so sorry your family’s going through this… I wish you all the best.

My dad just passed from colon and pancreatic cancer. My sister and I were lucky enough to go spend his last weeks with him with my kids too. I think cremation with a picture is great, but especially since your kids are so young, see if you can help your wife write letters to them to give later on at different stages of life that she won’t be there for. And don’t wait to get your kids in therapy as well as yourself. It’s a lot to process. Take videos, take pictures, talk to them about what is happening and let them ask questions. Ask your wife’s family for specific help. hugs It will all work out eventually.

1 Like

So sorry for what you and your girls are going thru.

Look into artful ashes they do beautiful glass orbs with some of your loved ones ashes in it. You could have 3 made for under 500 bucks and your babies could have something to hold on to when they miss mama

2 Likes

Record her voice for them while you can, that’s all I have other then pictures is a voicemail and take family pictures even when sick. Some people live in a world where they can’t face what’s to come and they seem selfish for that. Talk to them. Tell them how you feel.

11 Likes

Hello I’d like to say my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Can mom write them both a letter and maybe record her voice with her telling them something very special not for them to listen to till after she passes. Try and pay for cremation now and live day to day n let the kids love there momma and get all the memories they can while she is here. Try not to focus on death she’s here love her while u can.

1 Like

My grandmother had colon cancer. Her final day’s were horrible! She just layed and made noises. Almost like yelling. It wasn’t nice to see. She was cremated. We all took some ashes and put in a necklace. Then we had a nice memorial and my cousin made a nice box out of cedar. With a lock on it. And we buried her in her final resting spot. With my grandfather, my aunt and my dad. You can take a shirt of hers, and have a pillow made for your children. Also, when my dad passed away, we had a funeral for him. With a viewing. And then he was cremated. There’s a few options. I know from experience, with seeing colon cancer, if she’s in her final days, she more than likely can’t communicate. Or doesn’t know what’s going on. Praying for you and your children in this hard time. This will probably be the hardest thing they ever go through! Losing their mom. Hug them a little tighter!

Do what you think she would want

Look into it NOW
Some funeral home will give a discount if arrangements are made AHEAD of time needed
My Father had terminal prostrate cancer and was home on hospice (under drs advice we didn’t tell him)
We made his arrangements on a Thursday he was gone the following Wednesday. Talk to your wife if you think she’s up to help in makings decisions. I WISH YOU PEACE

do what your heart tells you to do…don’t let her brothers upset you…you have 2 reasons to carry on without bitterness in your life.Prayer for you and your children

1 Like

Pray and see what agod lead u to do. A person close toe.stole my inheritance, my brothers funeral money n was withholding his ashes. God told me that I had to do the funeral for him. I was only able to save 1,000 but God provided 3k. He was cremated n put in the cementary. If I were u I would set up a go fund me acct n email the link to their family n yours n just tell them that you don’t have money to paid for all the expenses and if they will like to honor her sister and donate to please do so m share the link. Also ask for help. Some people don’t know how to react in delicate situations. Ask them if they can help u by taking the girls to the park once in a while.

I want to be cremated. My husband knows to send some to Artful Ashes and have something made for each of our daughters. I don’t want a funeral. I want him to have those that are in our lives now over for a big pot luck dinner or BBQ. Play some music, and share some memories.

2 Likes

If she is still alert:

I would see if she would like to write letters to her daughters for them to open at a specific time. 16th birthday, getting drivers license, relationships, failed relationships, engagement, wedding day, first baby, etc. Something, if it’s simple, would bring a smile and an amazing memory to your girls. Could even bring a laugh or two (first breakup - sweet note and a silent screw him from mom letter with maybe $5-$10 for ice cream).

Take pictures, even though she may not feel like it, take pictures of her hands, her features, her smile.

Maybe order in and make a “date night”, light some candles, get her favorite food, or even watch her favorite movie.

Maybe even record her talking to the girls for them to watch after she passes.

Order a wax kit and make a mold of her holding each girls hand.

Those are just the things I could think of.

19 Likes

I’m so very sorry. I don’t have any advice. I wish I did. I am just so, so sorry.

1 Like

Do what is best for the girls. If they need a funeral then you figure it out. Talk to your wife and find out what she wants. There is no right answer that will please everyone involved.

This lists a bunch of alternatives to having a funeral. My personal favorites are the ones that return you to the earth and use your remains for nutrients. They seem cost efficient as well.
I’m sorry that you have so much on your shoulders. I hope that you and your girls get to make some wonderful memories, even if it’s just being at home and filling their room with laughter, with your wife while she’s still here.
I’m sure if you are up for it, you could find a list of things to get for your girls from your wife before she passes on Pinterest. A voice recording and letters have been suggested and are wonderful ideas.

Our daughter just passed Last week. Cremation is a good choice… Try not to be too hard on her brothers some really can’t handle death well. It would be nice if they did take the girls for a while.

1 Like

Do a living urn. Plant a tree with her ashes. We did that with my dad and the tree is booming. And the urn itself was only around $150.

You are a good husband .About the relatives do not make them stop you for what is best for you and your wife cremation is actually good, that is what I told my husband for me when my time comes , it is not.about money too it’s about what you want to do , I think funerals is a lot of drama too . Continue watching her till her time ends, :pray::heart::heart::heart:

If you do cremation there’s a company that can make necklaces/rings/ and other things out of a little bit of her ashes.

Get pictures of her and her girls they will thank you later

1 Like

My heart aches for you and your children. I’m sorry you’re faced with this.
If she can’t respond anymore or didn’t put any wishes in her will, then you have to be the one to make the decision.
My mother in law just passed in February from Breast Cancer & we had her ashes put into heart necklaces for us girls and the rest in a big urn that will be kept at her home.
With my husband’s father, he was also cremated. Both of their wishes. R.I.P to them & best of wishes to you and your family.
I’m so sorry!

1 Like

Have you asked her what she wanted? I never liked the thought of cremation but my mom said that was what she wanted. Had I not known that I would’ve chosen to bury her. I know it’s a sensitive topic though. My heart goes out to you :cry:

1 Like

My mom passed away from cancer and she wanted it to be easy and us to not have to pay for anything so she pre-setup to have her body donated to science. They planted a tree in her name in California and sent back her ashes and a certificate. It was really nice knowing maybe something good came from all the bad and it could help someone.
She also didn’t like funerals so after she passed we just had a life celebration with some close family and friends talking about the good times.
So, if you’re worried about cost and not many people being able to come, maybe something like this could be nice and uplifting? It really beat sitting around and mourning for me
and my sisters. You do enough grieving before they pass in my opinion, a day of joyful remembrance is the least you can give yourself Sometimes.

1 Like

Some ideas you could do are start a garden with her and the kiddos, they can tend to it and think of mommy once she’s gone. Ask what her last wishes are and what she would like if it’s possible. Take lots of pictures. Have her tell you her favorite recipes so that you guys can make her favorites later on. Have her favorite clothing made into keepsake pillows. I plan to be cremated and planted with a trees that my family down the line can visit and their kids can climb all over me. Have staycations and pretend you guys are all over the world, male those foods, learn about the culture…the kids will hold on to those memories. Anything you guys can do that will hold in to her memory will be appreciated later on. My thoughts and prayers are with you all during this difficult time :heart:

2 Likes

Please get lots of memories of her for the kids!!!

Do what your wife wishes…I understand the cremation and it’s not a bad thing just make sure u keep your wife’s memory alive for your girls

Prayers for you and your girls. I’m so sorry.

I would definitely do what you think is best and what your wife would like

1 Like

My advice is don’t waste the time you have left with your wife being angry at other people.

Some people just aren’t hardwired to step up in a crisis and instead avoid anything that brings them pain.

When the time comes to lay her to rest, you do what you need to do for you and your girls. They are losing their mother and I can’t think of anything worse than losing a parent so young.

9 Likes

My daughters dad died when she was 3. Some family insisted on having an open casket funeral. I told everyone I was okay with a viewing the. Cremation but that anything outside of the cremation would be paid for by them…they let it alone when money came up. We had a beautiful “wing party” everyone wore plaid and made it a happy thing for my daughter!! Good luck but please don’t miss out enjoying what time you all do have left together!

Get in touch with Hospice they help with end of life care. Your girls need their dad more than you realize and it’s gonna take you helping them and them helping you when your wife and their mom dies. Please don’t send them to family who could care less about their mom. That could do more harm than good

If you’re wanting to cremate her you could always do this for you and your girls.

Do you have hospice?
They help out a lot

Im sorry to hear this. You do what’s best for you and your family. If it’s only you and no one else has been around then you get to make all the choices. Don’tet anyone railroad you into something thats not ideal or practical for your family!!

2 Likes

Spend as much quality time together as possible…worry about the anger and relatives later…take pics of you all as a family…have her cremated and do a nice little memorial at the park for friends and family… have some jewelry made for the girls…hang it there :heart: I lost my momma when I was 14…memories last a lifetime

2 Likes

Do what you and her want…………

Sending love and prayers :heart: my mom also has colon cancer, and lympnoid cancer. Take lots of pictures and get her voice on recording, maybe her leaving messages or wishes, for your children. Definitely her telling her babies she loves them!!

1 Like

So very sorry. Do what you want and feel unless your wife has specified what she wants. You and the girls are in my prayers

2 Likes

Do whatever you are comfortable with she is your wife

1 Like

I am so sorry that you all are going thru this. Make as many memories as you can with her and the girls. Do what you can and it all will be okay. Memories is what’s important right now.

You ask your wife what she would like done … then you tell her brothers her wishes and see if they would be willing to help tell them you would rather not do it on your own … and FYI you can get a really pretty urn off of Amazon reasonably priced … my husband and I got one for my brother’s ashes and take it to the funeral home ask them to put her ashes in it and seal it ( they will do that for free )

3 Likes

Do what best for you

1 Like

Do what you can do. I myself chose cremation for the same reasons… you and your children will be fine . You made it this far.
Maybe your daughters don’t want to leave their mother side either .
Enjoy the last loving moments as a family :heart:

1 Like

Record her voice for you and your children. Ask your wife what she wants.

6 Likes

So sorry to hear this. Prayers and condolences to you and your family. Do what’s best for you and your family. You can have her cremated and have a small memorial for her including immediate family and close friends.

1 Like

What are her wishes? My Dad just recently passed in May. He wanted no funeral & his wishes were to be cremated and interned. We did a Memorial luncheon after. Not gonna lie, maybe a viewing would of helped? It hurt like hell knowing when the funeral home came for his body that was the last time I would ever see him. We have necklaces made. Amazon has them for cheaper if cost is an issue. The crematorium will fill them for you as well. Follow her wishes…

When your wife passes her earthly body is nolonger of need and her soul will remain with you and especially her daughters. It is more financially suitable for a cremation and you and your daughters will need that after your wife passes. Talk to her about how she feels about this. Its not about her brothers and how they would feel. They are not there so there for their opinions do not hold any weight. Its about what is best for your daughters and you after your wife passes. You need to have these talks with your wife.
Prayers be with you and your family.

2 Likes

Oh her good days take her out and enjoy the day with the kids be angry later and please mourn when she passes just make these last few positive if you do decide to cremate her you can have jewelry made with her ashes so she is always with y’all

Stop telling him to ask his wife. These are her literal last moments and the eternal guilt of leaving those babies must be consuming- why would she want to plan a party?

I just really wanted to say how sorry I am :pleading_face: and how absolutely strong and brave you are! Praying for everyone, especially the kids :heart:

Do what you want for you and your girls don’t worry about no one else

Less money that’s beautiful celebrate her life your idea is beautiful it honors her. What does she want

Do want you know is right in your heart :heart: my husband have this all planned

1 Like

First, ask your wife what her burial plans are and honor that. Make sure she has a will.
If she leaves it up to you, I’m sure she wouldn’t care what you do with her body since she’ll be dead (I don’t mean this in any disrespectful way).
There’s nothing wrong with cremation just bc it’s cheaper.
In fact, you can even cremate her and have her ashes turned into a tree or whatever (you and your daughters can plant her in a special spot once they understand about the tree). There are a lot of options, just check your local funeral home and ask what options they have with cremation.

And as far as her brothers, don’t bother telling them anything. They clearly know what’s going on and they clearly don’t care. They had a chance to see their sister/your wife and help out with your daughters, and all of a sudden they’ll care when she’s dead? No thanks.

Just focus on you, your wife and your girls and just make the last days memorable and cherish each and every second as a family. You and your wife need to talk to your girls about how their mom is going to be with the stars. Be honest. Once their mom is gone, the next few weeks are going to be hard for them and they’re going to need you.

I’m so sorry this is happening to you and your family.

4 Likes

When my sons father passed away we had him cremated and just planned a small memorial service ourselves. It turned out to be very nice

1 Like

Amazon great price, we got one plus we got it engraved.

Do what you and the girls want to do. I’m so sorry for this heart breaking time for you. :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Do what YOU need to do for yourself and your girls, with no guilt.

5 Likes

Worry about this later, enjoy the last days…

1 Like

Ask her what her wishes are to be done after she passes. If she has wishes get them written down and notify at the post office or bank.
And if she is fine with cremation, the best way is directed cremation. It is just a cremation without the viewing. I am sorry you have to go through this, may you and your family finds peace.

6 Likes

Do cremation and then do a celebration of life

1 Like

What does she think, or mentioned, if nothing, the choice is yours, and to hell with everyone else…

1 Like

Get a recordable book or bear that she can talk into so the kids have her voice. As for funeral ask her. I’ve already told my husband, as well as my mom so it’s known by more than 1 person, that I want to be donated to science, and I don’t want a single penny spent on my death. They can go out to lunch, and say goodbye to me over a delicious meal if they want, but no unnecessary spending.

9 Likes

I am so sorry about your wife , enjoy her while she is here and you’ll have no regrets , do as you wish what’s best for your family - dignity funeral homes is a corporation Amd you can do cremation and a service cheaply And they will make it very elegant

Make surecto video/record her on good days, capture the woman you fell in love with and created a family. Sing to her dance with her, pray with her,make a show with the girs for her. This time is SO precious her. So maybe the brothers don’t know how to help or react the hardest thin we have to do sometimes is ASK… this no time for pride these are her last days make them spectacular be HER husband, be her man. Peace and love to you :heart:

3 Likes

Ask your Wife.

My Husband and I made the decision to get cremated simply because of expenses. Come up with a plan WITH her and enjoy her while she’s still here. As far as her Family SMH… Unless they are contributing they don’t matter! Discuss with your wife.

I sincerely wish you all the best :brown_heart:

I like your idea very much. I know this is hard and I’m so sorry y’all are all going through this… what we did for my mom was cremation then a celebration of life and it was beautiful. Just take a few deep breaths and try to breathe a little. Call on people for help if you need too, let them know you need baby sitters and maybe someone to sit with your wife while you go take a breather yourself. I’m praying for God to give you support and love during this difficult time. May His peace be with y’all as you wait for your wife’s homecoming and after.

1 Like

Sending you and your family prayers

This may be off the normal track… what if you did cremate her, have a small celebration of life and then take you and your girls somewhere fun and celebrate the time you had with her? Build some good memories together.

5 Likes

My little sister passed in 2020. We cremated her and had celebration of life. We have a very multicultural family. We bought turtle necklaces for the women and hook necklaces for the men (traditional Hawaiian type) that we could ashes in and carry her with us. Your children may be too young now, I don’t know them. But that would be a wonderful keepsake to have their mother with them through their teenage years and adulthood. I cherish my necklace that has my little sister in it. Our dad and mother have an urn with her ashes as well. Do what you can there is nothing wrong with cremation.

One thing you should do is have her record special video messages for your daughters things they need to know about growing up (pubety), family history, her memories of when they were little what their birth was like first words every special moment that way they can watch the videos and remember her better.

2 Likes

I would enjoy this time left and when the times come do what you feel she would want. There is nothing wrong with cremation and keeping those memories.

2 Likes

The choice is yours to make shes your wife,sending prayers it’s not easy watching someone you love die, I’ve been there

1 Like

Cremation and sorry you’re going through this prayers to you and your family to hell with brothers

If your wife hadn’t expressed her wishes, do what you can afford & gives you peace. She may not won’t to talk about it, I wouldn’t push. Does she know she doesn’t have long? I would think if she wanted to be involved in final arrangements, she would tell you. But, it may be too painful. Prayers for your family.

I’m sorry about your wife. If she is able to talk, speak with her. If she isn’t then do what you feel is right.

1 Like

Were sending yall prayers

Ask for her “wishes” if none then make your own

2 Likes

If you choose cremation, some of her ashes can be used to make a globe that can be displayed instead of the usual urn. The ashes are mixed with color(s) your choice! Look up Cremation Glass keepsakes for information. There are several other similar sites. So sorry you are going thru this! Bless you and your girls.

2 Likes

I lost my first daughter when she was six months please be easy on your children they need you so much right now :disappointed: just as much as you need them their mom would rest a lot easier with them being held in your arms but I had my daughter cremated I haven’t officially closed on our home but once we do I will be putting her ashes in the ground with an oak tree to always remember her by

1 Like

If I was dying right now I would want whatever was easier for my husband. And my family.

4 Likes

If you live in Texas near Austin pm me I have a 9yo daughter and I’ll take your children out so you can have some time

2 Likes

Your the spouse and your paying for it. You do what’s best for you and your girls. That my opinion.

You are sitting with her on this journey, hold her hand & thank her for all she has done, the beautiful children she brought into this world. If you chose cremation their are locket necklaces that could be made for the girls so they can keep a small bit of her with them. Phone someone in her family & ask them to take the girls out if that’s what you need (others might be in denial of what’s really happening). Sending you strength, mercy & compassion :pray:

4 Likes