Needing advice about baby led weaning

Hi, I noticed on a post the other day a lot of mamas suggested baby led weaning. I have a few questions regarding this. At what age did you start your LO? What foods did you start with? Did you not worry about your LO choking? I make all my own baby food for my 6 month old but I am very curious about this way of feeding my little one especially after doing a bit of research.

9 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Needing advice aboy baby led weaning - Mamas Uncut

At least 6 months and when baby shows all signs of readiness. Baby needs to be able to control their head and sit up on their own.

I started baby food at 4mo and then baby led weaning at 6mo.

I highly recommend joining Baby Led Weaning For Beginners and Baby Led Weaning for Beginners & Beyond (BLWBB)

2 Likes

You can start at 6 months old! I constantly worried about choking, but gagging is OKAY. They’re learning, and you should never stick your finger in their mouth because it could shove it down further. Every time my son gagged (or gags) it usually comes out on its own, with a little bit of puke of course.:sweat_smile: they have baby led weaning groups you can follow to learn more about the foods your 6 month old can have and the proper ways to give it!

1 Like

Started at 6 months for my son and intend of doing the same with my daughter. It was scary at first but he’s a master at eating now(21 months) we gave him everything we were eating. His first meal was toast, scrambled eggs, and yogurt with water on the side(I offered no juice except as a treat rarely and diluted it he now chooses water over everything and drinks about 6 sippy cups of water a day lol). Pace yourself and go at your comfort level start with softer foods if you feel more comfortable with that

Baby Led Weaning For Beginners & Baby Led Weaning for Beginners & Beyond (BLWBB) would be helpful for you to join.
Babies start BLW once they’re at least 6 months old & meet all signs of readiness.
It doesn’t matter what food you start with - just nothing with honey, not even cooked or baked in. Baby eats what you eat and you sit at the table as a family so there’s a “model”. There are certain ways to cut most foods to avoid choking. Gagging and choking are not the same. Gagging is normal and a good thing.

2 Likes

Research the difference between choking and gagging and research baby led weaning. We started at 6 months with all signs of readiness. Baby eats everything you eat (except no honey before 1). You cut foods appropriate for their age. You eat at same time to model what to do. Baby Led Weaning for Beginners & Beyond (BLWBB) is a great group

2 Likes

Baby Led Weaning for Beginners & Beyond (BLWBB) is an amazing group I’ve learned so much there! You can also download the Solid Starts app and follow them on Instagram. Baby led weaning can start when your baby is at least 6 months old and showing all other signs of readiness to start solids, which your child already has been started on solids (solids are anything other than breastmilk or formula, purées and cereals count as solids)

A friend of mine does this, and there are certain things you can give them and different ways to cut items. Also good to know the difference between gagging and choking.

Babies have a super strong gag reflex so I don’t worry about choking. Except with like popcorn and grapes lol. They’ll gag ALOT but it’s ok it’s teaching them how much to put in their mouths :slightly_smiling_face: did it with all 3’od my kids starting at the end of 5 months/beginning 6 months. Never had any baby food, just did all table foods. They’re all pretty good eaters except my one with autism, he has food sensitivities and anxiety lol

Thank y’all for the recommendations on the groups!!! I’ve requested to join both​:slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

I started all mine on regular food at three to four months. Never baby food. I let them eat and drink what we did. Yes I still gave them formula. My kids have no pickiness or allergies.

Anything Mashable that’s not typically an allergy food (like peanuts or something).

Fruit, veggies, once have a few teeth finely ground up chicken

Also followed this, started around 7m. My daughter hated baby foods. There’s a great book on Amazon. It worked perfectly for us, my daughter is 4 and a great eater

There’s no ‘led weaning’ and food before 1 is just for fun, they still rely on milk/formula for their nutrients. When my twins were 6mnths…they had Gerber oatmeal at dinner time, then be baby food -veggies around ‘dinner time.’ By 8-9mnths cheerios, Gerber snacks after a bit it was whatever my husb and I were eating cut up super small

I get paid over $ 130 per hour w0rking from home. I never thought l’d be able to do it but my colleague makes over $ 19488 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is limitless.
M0re Info. https://superdollar108.netlify.app/

I started at six months with my first and will again once this baby is born/6 months. It’s all about your level of comfortableness. You can join this group! Baby Led Weaning for Beginners & Beyond (BLWBB) they have so much info and they help overcome fears :heart:

My daughter had the tongue thrust reflex until 7.5 months. By 9 months she refused to eat anything she couldn’t feed herself.

Watch the videos on telling the difference between gagging and choking… take a baby first aide course… and 6 months on the dot… and what ever we ate they ate… unless it was a known common allergy…we avoided offering more than one of them a week until we knew they had no allergies…

My kids were HUNGRY at 3 months. They still had trouble with spoon feeding, so I split the bottle nipple and fed them cereal and veggies. Now they have baby feeder bottles. I still gave them formula. Unfortunately my ex kept me in a constant state of stress so my milk dried up and I couldn’t breast feed anymore, but the kids and I managed. And they were perfectly healthy.

I get paid over $ 130 per hour w0rking from home. I never thought l’d be able to do it but my colleague makes over $ 19014 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is limitless.
M0re Info. https://superdollar139.netlify.app/

We started around 9ish months.
Also…if that’s the route your gonna go, there’s a difference between gagging and choking. Look it up. Know the difference. Gagging will still make your heart sink the first few times but it’s totally normal while they figure out what to do with food