Needing advice on going through labor alone

Advice for a mama preparing to go into labor at the hospital with no support person? I will be video chatting husband during birth if able.

14 Likes

Seriously get a midwife. It is an amazing experience. I had my midwife by my side for my hospital birth and she was :100: the best decision I ever made

I’m going through same thing. My hubs is deployed and I’m due in March/April. I am close with my ex in laws and my ex sis in law said she would be there with me.

Why cant your husband be in the room…Id heard you were now allowed 1 person to be with you

I’ve done it twice alone the first time my partner couldn’t get their in time and the second time was because of covid. Trust in the medical staff they will get you through your labour. You’ve got this make sure you get support afterwards though

Why alone? Husband, mom , or friend

I didn’t have anyone with my son. And my daughter my mom had gone home for a second and I had her. So I was still so happy.and as soon as I had them I fell asleep. My boy I had 36 hours. My girl 5 hours. I was ok being alone.

Mentally prepare yourself to be alone. Give yourself a daily pep talk and daily affirmations about having a smooth labor. Don’t be afraid to rely on the nurses and your midwife or ob as support people. Have a birth plan and stick to it. Type it up and give it to your medical staff if that helps. Stick to your guns and don’t let anyone there tell you or convince you that you have to deviate from your plan. You’ll have to be your own advocate since you’ll be alone.

1 Like

I went in by my self for my second child(2019) I just kinda imagined the support I would have had from my mom (she died 3 years ago) my childs father wasnt there. It was kinda sad but my focus was just on making sure my daughter got here safely

1 Like

It’s only been me and my husband for all 3, our last baby was this past September. Maybe it’s just me but I feel like with all the adrenaline and everything going on you don’t even notice them there for labor and delivery. We are military so there has always been the possibility of him not being there.

Labor at home for as long as you can with your partner/support person. I was facing this because COVID so I mentally prepared myself by saying I was strong and capable. I also made a playlist for different times (need to relax, motivation, energy etc). I also find that if I can focus on other things I can get through stuff. I listen to books a lot and I also read when I can’t be up and moving. My husband and I also made a plan if he couldn’t be there. I was very honest with my care provider that I felt strongly about my husband being there to support me since I have pretty significant anxiety. This is such a tough time to be having a baby. I ended up having my baby pretty early due to preeclampsia, and my husband was able to come with me because COVID restrictions had been lifted at our hospital that allowed one support person with you in the room. They had to wear a mask anytime someone came into the room and he couldn’t leave the room at all. Good luck with your labor and I hope all is well and you and baby stay healthy.

I had my second with out support. It was lonely for sure but made it easier to zen out. Good luck momma

I honestly think i would have preferred yo be alone. The other people were just annoying. They just distracted me from what I needed to do.

4 Likes

Try to find something that calms you and you can focus on. Your husband is in your heart and will be right there when you give birth. Try not to let your feeling of being alone (without him there) over ride the joy of the circumstance. You will get thru this. :heart:

You have no idea that that is wat actually made it easier for me. Every time you see a woman at her high point in labor screaming someone’s always there. It’s more connection and energy alone. Having even one person there can knock this off trust me. Your alone going through fine a nurse walks in you look at her your face frowns she notices. Fucks up everything. Have you seen the movie mommy dearest? Yes she was crazy but there’s some truth in her birthing scene. I’ve had horrible menstrual cramps growing up no difference to me the thing that makes a difference is contractions tell you when they’re comin and goin it gets annoying where period cramps sit there with you through it all

You won’t be alone. You might not know them, but all your doctors, nurses and others are all pulling for you & you baby. Your husband might not be in the room with you, but he is with you.

5 Likes

Just remember those who are not there physically are there in our (and their) heart. Hold them dear and talk to them :heart: Dr and nurses are their to add their support and care as well. God Bless

1 Like

I gave birth to all 3 of my kids alone, before all this happened the covid. Just dont stress yourself out over it. It can possibly put baby in distress, or you. So just relax if ya can, I know it wont be easy. You got this girl

Having had 3, I could care less who is or isn’t there. All I wanted was the nurse to pull that youngin out!!!

9 Likes

Try to find a doula. Hospitals are allowing one support person in for labor and delivery. As a previous labor and delivery nurse in a small community hospital I know nurses can be supportive and kind and helpful but they get busy too. I am a midwife now and labor with my patients once they are ready to go to the hospital but I’m also a doula.

I did this with my third baby. Went in I be induced without a support person and the staff wasn’t nice about it so make sure they know in advance you will not have a support person. I think it would have helped. Bring yourself water bottles snacks etc because you won’t have anyone to send for these things . You got this mama

3 Likes

Let your body do the work it has been made to do. Stay out of its way. Abdominal breathing thru ea contraction. Focus on ea breath.

My babies were born 64,65, 66, & 74 no husbands allowed in the labor room. Not sure but I don’t think he came back until the next day😂

The hospital’s around me still allow one support person. How sad to go through this alone.
I would have had a very hard time with my last one alone. Three days of labor, six hours of pushing and my Son having shoulder dystocia. My husband was my rock.

1 Like

Had three by myself all will be okay

1 Like

People have gone thru labor and delivery for years without a hand to hold. The drs. And nurses are really all you need. It wasn’t that many years ago that no one outside of the mom and medical staff were even allowed in the delivery room.

3 Likes

before the80’s fathers were not allowed in labor our delivery rooms the idea of Dad pacing outside in the waiting room was true

6 Likes

Do you have a friend that can be with you. My husband for our first child was away as he was Army when I went into labor. We thought he would be back before I had her but she came on her due date. I called my friend and she was with me. They allowed my husband to come home the next day.

Having worked in labor and delivery your nurses will be there for you. Even with a support person I always held hands and helped coach, usually daddy fails here even if taken classes. And like previously mentioned a lot of times the woman wants nothing to do with the man when you really get down to business. I’ve seen mothers throw the fathers out of the room before. Before things get tough work on building a bond with at least one of your nurses, that helps a lot. Have you thought of hiring a duala? This could be an option.

4 Likes

Trust me, there will be a nurse with you, helping you. Don’t worry.

You can do it! This is the one time you hold hands with God and He will help you thru!

I was in the room with my daughter, for both of her kids births, amazing! Do you have anyone close to you, that could be with you, since your husband can’t be?

Don’t go alone. If your husband can’t be there take a friend or your mom or someone

I had twins and husband not allowed in (1969). Don’t need extra person in room

I don’t understand why her husband can’t be there??

Try to relax between contractions. I was fortunate to NOT have great pain with labor. But thinking that this too, shall pass, helps. Think about the greatest joy to come with the birth.

I’ll tell u what an old nurse told me, when I was having my first child. If u start screaming when in pain, it takes longer to give birth. Of course I had to try screaming before I went into labor and discovered that the muscles in my lower stomach would tighten up. So I had two babies without screaming. First was induced and 2nd came with in an hour of being admitted to hospital. I know not much help.

Our hospital will allow one support person.

1 Like

Yes, you will not be alone.

Why do women think they need someone with them to give birth? You have nurses and doctors, outsiders only bring more stress! Put on your big girl panties and get over it. You the one screwin raw during a pandemic knowing this how you would end up!
I gave birth to 4 of my 7 children… Not once did I give a damn about anyone but the person with their hands on my newborn!!!

Women have been having babies since the dawn of the ages. Nurses will be there.

Have a friend go with you.

Stay relaxed,calm,pray

Stay calm remember to breath and dont scream!!! The more relaxed you and your body is the easier your delivery will be!!!

Well the best advice comes after we know are you getting the epidural or no? If so this should be a breeze let the meds take your pain than give it your all and push. Hold a support nurses hand and just have the ultimate gratitude that your baby is coming into this world in a safe happy place with you and people who know what their doing. Everything else will naturally fall in place :blue_heart: best of luck and congrats

Mu hubby all 4 times just fussed over me wanted to hold my hand put a rag on my head I honestly wanted to be alone. The nurses and doctor where great so if u have to be alone just keep in mind the staff Is trained for every situation

I just had my son in December by myself in the hospital and it was not bad at all. I was able to focus on my breathing and the whole process was way smoother than my other 2 kids births.