Needing help getting rid of fleas in my house!

Salt, it helps. Its cheep. Vaccume n repeat.

1 Like

Use diatomaceous earth and sprinkle it everywhere and leave it a few days the vacuum off anywhere you walk or sit, leave everywhere else. I had a bad infestation and no pet, previous renters left them :roll_eyes: but tried everything. This stuff got rid of them in 48 hours.

3 Likes

Just treat the animals with a vet prescribed product and the problem will take care of itself. As soon as the fleas hatch and feed from a treated pet they will die. Will be gone within 2 weeks. But finish the 3 month recommended treatment plan to kill off any stragglers.

1 Like

At night take cookie sheet with edges and put like a cm of water in it and a few drops of dish soap. Leave it on the floor with a lamp shining directly on it all night. The heat/light will attract them and when the jump in they won’t be able to get out because of the dish soap. Catches hundreds a night. Set up a trap in each room for quicker results. It worked wonders in my home. Just don’t forget to treat all pets at the end. And keep the traps going every night for awhile to trap the baby fleas when the eggs hatch.

3 Likes

Bathe your pets with the blue dawn dish soap.

With a powder like 7 dust or borax , the fleas can’t breath, so they die.

Put Dawn detergent in a small bowl with water in the places they are and put a light on the floor at night when you go to bad the flea well go to the soap and water at night

Jerri Susan Anderson Little

Jerri Susan Anderson Little

Apple cider vinegar put it in a spray bottle and spray everything down once daily it kills them

We had to call pest control. We tried every trick and nothing worked. They haven’t been back and that was 3 years ago

Clean the pets and treat the yard, borax laundry booster works great and won’t hurt the humans or the pets. Leave it down for about a week and it will kill the eggs as well

Vacuum and change it out everytime. Dump it outside, not inside and continue doing everything you are doing. They are a pest but keep on spraying and treating the animals and vacuuming repeatedly daily

We use a vet prescribed flea med and a spray mix of vinegar, witch hazel, peppermint oil, lemon juice, sage oil and tea tree oil. They hate that stuff so they stay off the dogs

Lol go for a walk why do you need your car :joy::joy::joy::joy:

There some spray at Walmart that has peppermint oil in it and it works it’s in a white and green bottle

Orkins. Both them and the vet have said that the foggers etc don’t really work. Also treat your animals with a flea bath and get them on something they the vet. We do a pill every 3 months to prevent fleas. We also spray and clean with vinegar every so often too.

Fire :fire::roll_eyes:

P.s that’s a joke don’t do that.

Nexgard from vets office. Give to pets every 4 weeks for 4 months it will kill them. It is a vicious circle the eggs hatch all the time they will get on the animal and it sterilizes them so they can’t lay anymore eggs after 4 months the cycle is broken

1 Like

Yeah, that happened to us and we were using Frontline. Unfortunately, the front line at the time was known for having some issues with animals building immunity. You’ll need to treat your animals, and if it’s to that point you’re probably going to have to fog. I would go to the library, or something for that time that your house will need to fumigate.

Put down salt around your house it does work especially when you don’t have carpet

Salt!!! Pour it onto every fabric. And even around ur base boards on hard wood.

Also, I tried all of the sprays and recommendations I’m seeing here in this post. If your house is truly infested they won’t work. Also, they could be living in your carpet cleaner and vacuum.

I use the blue Dawn dish soap mixed with peppermint… spray everything with that… I put coconut oil on my animals… diatomaceous earth on carpets and baseboards

3 Likes

Lots and lots of vaccuming expesally the baseboards and empty the vamcum every time and dispose of right away. Look into diamitrious (sp)earth as well.

Baking soda and salt. It kills them by suffocation. Also treat your pet with 2 diff flea meds, one 2 kill what’s on them the other to sterilize any that jump on them. You need to wash and dry all cloth items in hot water, dry on highest setting. Keep all cloth items in trash bags until infestation is cleared. You need to vacuum every day!!! When vacuuming use a hard bristle brush in corners, especially the couch to detach eggs from upholstery.

Fyi eggs can be dormant for up to 7 months!

Call the exterminator. After all the cash you’ve spent trying to do this yourself, you could have set up exterminator for a few months.

4 Likes

Try borox. But the foggers dont work you will have to get the pest control people.

2 Likes

Finely ground salt put it in everything cracks on floor or carpets in furniture and on pets…it dehydrates the flea and kills it …about three days leave it then vacumm and spread more …it really works

Demotosis earth food grade from tractor supply or lots and lots of salt. Both break down the exoskeleton of the flea and eggs … wait a day and then vacuum. Then repeat till no more. But treatment for pets is a must to keep them away. Plus the yard.

2 Likes

OMG I would just call an exterminator or whomever because in the long run they know what they’re doing and not that all these helpful hints don’t know but by the time you keep spending money on all these things you could have paid for the Exterminator a couple of times I’m sure and it might be worth finding a friend to go with you to go out for lunch or go to the library or something to get you out of the house while it’s being taken care of

1 Like

Vinegar under your beds & couches , it will attract and kill the fleas !

Advantage 2. My cats arnt large, more medium. But I got them it for larger cats. I did them once then again a month later. I’d tried everything to get rid of them and this worked. I got some strong spray aswell and loaded one room at a time. Going around the house. It worked. Pretty quickly tbh. I also boil washed anything they slept on and hovered every day all over the house including my beds.

Keep your lawn cut low they could be grass fleas

We got rid of them by getting meds from the vet, not the meds from the store. I haven’t seen a flea in over a year now, just one treatment knocked them out.

3 Likes

We have no carpets but I still used a powder, just make sure you wear a mask when sweeping it up especially if preggers and mop thrice! Lol. We also got this light thing that plugs into the wall and has a glue pad on bottom, if I remember what it’s called or can find it I’ll take a picture and send it. Best of luck, those buggers are horrible!

I used blue dragon to dust basement when sand fleas were down there. Should be in garden section. It kills them. Dust floors and leave sit for a bit then vacuum up

Vinegar and water in a bowl. Put it on the floor( somewhere you wont knock it over) and let them jump in when its full dump it out and do it again.

Borax on any material things that can’t be washed. Also put on floors.

Knock out flea spray from the vet. It’s like $15-25 a can and does 1500 or 2500sq ft. I’m at home. Cant remember. Make sure you treated all animals with something that works well. Not over the counter, got it at tsc or Walmart crap. Get it from the vet or humane society or spay/neuter clinic would be cheaper. A vet clinic handles those things properly. If a chemical isnt stored properly it maynot work or cause problems. (Example temp too hot or too cold) keep all animals treated for at least 3 months. Fleas have to eat a blood meal and they prefer cats/dogs. Humans actually have their own species of fleas

• vet tech
2 Likes

R U Sure it is flies. They look very similar to bed bugs.

Advantage from the vet

Get 100% rubbing alcohol put half in bottle fill other half with water spray it around your house on the floor and everywhere let dry vaccumm and throw out bag or empty canister and was with hot water keep doing it every day and you can spray it on your animals they use this in the vents and pet shops and grooming places it works well

1 Like

Rubbing alcohol! Spray it everywhere. Kills on contact

1 Like

Knockout sold on Amazon. A capstar pill and you’re good.

Also may depend where u live. I’ve heard if you live in the country or wooded areas, you might as well forget about it, it’ll be a never ending battle

I use a med called revolution that I get from recuse hearts on Broadway… great stuff…works like a champ… both dogs and cats…

Also at night set a small bowl of water on a floor and put a lamp over it . Leave the light on. It will attract them and ones they jump into the bowl they can’t get out Thats what I was told.

Some foggers dont require you to be gone all day but I had to fog my house and I think we stayed outside doing yard work and burning a fire

Had this problem years ago. Tried everything. Only thing that worked was getting house sprayed by professional and revolution from vet for animals

1 Like

Revolution is seriously one of the best treatments for dogs and can also be used on cats

1 Like

Borax powdered soap Walmart has it,sprinkle it all over your floors with a large flour softer and leave it for a week to ten days (unless you have toddlers crawling around).Old school,but it does the trick.

Borax and flour sifter…

The only thing I have found that works is enforcer carpet flea powder ace hardware.

They hide under baseboards, which allows them to survive spraying the room, spray at bottom of baseboards.

I used just plain old table salt put it around the door and base board and in front of the furniture it worked for me.

You have to put the tube of flea meds on your pets. My veterinarian told me that years ago and 100% correct

call balbwyn pest control they are reasonably priced and good at their job

The eggs hatch as soon as your home get warm. Shampooed our carpets once in rental and we were infested. We had no pets. From previous tenant😢

Niece stayed with us for 6 months and she had a cat loaded with fleas took us about 4 months we sprayed and bombed the room at least once a week then the got into the rest of the house kept spraying sweeping and vacuuming and now they are gone but going to keep spraying just to stay on top of it

You can get boric acid from walmart sprinkle in carpets and use a scrub brush to get into carpets let’s set and vaccum up kills fleas we had battled them hard this year

Nothing is going to work without some serious chemical treatments. You can do all the little home remedies, but for an infestation it just isn’t enough. Went through this a few years ago in our 2475 sq. ft. 125 year old home here in South Georgia. We went to the local landscape supply company and bought professional grade chemicals (not foggers, not flea spray from the pet store) — this is the stuff professional pest control uses, and a pump sprayer. Sprayed the entire house, left for the afternoon. Sprayed the next day, left for the afternoon. Came back and treated the LAWN.
It killed the fleas, the eggs, and the larvae.
Like I said, you can do all the cheap store-bought stuff and the little at-home remedies, but they aren’t effective because you have to kill the eggs and larvae too. Bathe pets in BLUE DAWN and apple cider vinegar, followed by regular oatmeal bath for their skin. Do not put flea drops on them until 1-2 days after bath, because they need time to get the oils back in their fur and skin or the drops won’t work. Alternatively, Trifexis is available via rx and is very effective, but requires a yearly fecal test for heartworm. Or you can get Activyl online. It’s kind of pricey but WORKS.

I had an exterminator come. you don’t have to leave the house. After spending lots of money on everything I could think of, if I just would have called the exterminator first it would have been less. Worth every penny!

Vacuum. Vacuum everything that you can and wash all your clothes, especially the laundry area. Spray the outside of your home and all by your doors. I believe I had orkin come spray. I paid a one month fee of $200+ and had them come twice in one month. We had no pets but the neighbors did. Horrible!

Dawn dish soap and water in a bowl or bowls around house. Also put coconut oil on the pet or pets that have the fleas. I did it to my cat and gone in less than 2 weeks.

1 Like

Neem oil. It stinks but works and you can treat the pets and yard with it.

Boric acid at the dollar store it’s like 2 dollars and works

1 Like

We used a product called No More Bugs it is an all natural product that is cedar oil based safe to spray on skin, animals and furniture.

Foggers can go buy a friend’s house Foggers work

Treating the yard with pesticides every 3 months (I use Spectricide) helps us out-try to put it out before rain or run the hose over treated area if you can; we have 4 cats and 2 dogs and can’t always afford to treat everyone…I hear they live in the dirt.

Or if your ankles are being bit, find a way to put down borax

Fill a bowl with water and add a little dawn dish soap. Shine a lamp on the bowl. They jump in it and die instantly

3 Likes

a few years back after I had my son we had our maintenance guy coke to our house and tell us not to let our kids go outside for awhile because a neighbor had brought a dog that was infested with fleas over to their house and so he had to spray around all outside.

We literally never had an issue with fleas. And didn’t have any pets.

About 3 days after that I noticed my 2 year old was getting little bumps on her legs and so was I. They were all over our feet, legs, and up. Poor baby had them on her back and neck I was like omg what is going on?! Didn’t even occur to me it could be flea bites because of never experienced fleas in my life.

Well one night my 2 month old woke up for a late night feeding. I’m sitting on the couch nursing him when I notice something on my boob… a little speck. I flipped the lamp on and it was gone. I sat looking around like a crazy person and then settled back down to nurse him again. I look at him and there’s a little bit on his face.

I go to shoo it thinking it’s a gnat or something and it hopped. I was like wtf. So I remember what the maintenance guy had said and googled fleas… And obviously that’s what it was.

I did every “all natural remedy” I could find… diotamacious earth… Apple cider vinegar… bowls of water with lights etc etc… Because I had 2 very small kids in the house.

And was breastfeeding. I couldn’t be around chemicals like that. I was meticulously cleaning the house… dressing my 2 year old in footie pjs hoping she wouldn’t get any more bites. I was going crazy and breaking down…

Finally my husband got fed up and went and bought some black flag and sprayed the entire house while we went out… which I hated but thought… ok as long as they’re gone I will just air out the house and it will be ok.

Welp… that didn’t even work. Me and baby girl were still getting an insane amount of bites… And like I said WE DIDN’T EVEN HAVE ANY PETS.

Eventually we had to hire a professional and that was the only thing that finally got rid of the little jerks.

Save yourself the trouble and hire a professional. Go to a friends or go out shopping for a few hours. That’s what we had to do. Call an uber or go for a long walk.

Salt or salt water.
It dries them out and they die.

Borax. Borax everything. I swear by it.

Put Borax laundry detergent around outer edge and corners. Get good flea comb and use on animals several times a day put hair and fleas in a container with water and few drops of fish soap. Also get some Diatomaceous Earth apply to animals and bedding kills fleas almost instantly. I vacuumed my wood floors couple times a day being sure to get and eggs that fell in any little crack.

wash the dogs in axe body wash. it kills and deters fleas. wash everything in borax. use a little bit of dawn dish soap in bleach and mop all the floors… you can put borax on all your furniture for 20 minutes. stay out of that particular room cause of the smell. but then you can vacuum after 20 minutes. give the dogs garlic powder once a day in their food. spray your yard with axe body wash and water. wash your dogs in axe body wash once a month and you wont have another flea or tick problem

And if you dont want to use chemicals take a lamp and glue board my x husband used an old lamp and plugged it in and left it on floor and put glue board next to lamp and to this like over night bugs are attracted to heat so they will jump on glue board it works ps hopefully you have a small lamp no shade

1 Like