Potty training regression in a four year old?

Sounds like something happened to her at school. Have her talk to someone

As a child I didn’t like using the bathrooms in schools because 99% of the time they were GROOSSSS. I hate hate hate dirty bathrooms and even as an adult have night mares!

My kid was potty trained @2 and did fine until she hit 4….then she straight up refused to pee anywhere that wasn’t home. Nothing happened to her, she wasn’t hurt, she just refused. We’d be gone 7-8 hours and she’d hold it. She went to school and refused to go, had one accident and now goes, but only on the little potty’s. Out in town, she’ll only go at Kohl’s on their tiny potty’s, same at my moms. I don’t get it, but she just says she doesn’t like the big potty’s :woman_shrugging:t2:

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Potty training regression in a four year old? - Mamas Uncut

1 Like

Go into the bathroom at school with her and ask what does she not like about it. Hopefully it’s something simple you can explain or change.

29 Likes

Having been preschool teacher, I had many students like this. I know this will sound strange, but some of the little ones are afraid of the different toilet. It could be a higher toilet than they are used to and it may be hard to get up on it… Also maybe she is afraid of the stall, it may make her feel afraid dealing with the lock and with the door shut. Just talk to her and above all validate her feelings. Maybe you could go with her and practise going. something is for sure upsetting this little one. .

14 Likes

Do the toilets automatically flush? My daughter was SCARED to death of self flushing toilets after being fully potty trained …her grandma took her to Walmart and her first ever encounter with auto flush toilets back tracked her for months!!

5 Likes

With teacher and school ok spend a day volunteering in her class. Then you state need to go. Take her with you so both can take care of business. Hopefully once will be enough!

7 Likes

It could be a number of things, including anxiety about using a different toilet , how clean it is, etc. But I would also have a discussion with her about body parts and appropriate touching, and that if anyone has touched her, or asked her to touch them, that she is not in any trouble, but that is not okay, and you as an adult can help. I think far too often parents don’t ask about things directly and this is a situation that warrants it. The reason you need do remind her it is not her fault, is because frequently perpetrators of child sexual abuse (whether an adult or another child) threaten the victim child into silence - and at that age children believe the threats. Also note, kids are really good a reading facial expressions, and If you display anxiety while asking about it, they may deny anything due to seeing your reaction to it.

6 Likes

I remember being terrified of the bathroom in kindergarten. For some reason I was just sure that the door would lock and I’d NEVER get out.

4 Likes

My son went through this. He would wet himself at school too. I was told it’s a phase and an adjustment for then. Took him probably 6 months before it stopped. Now he is fine. Sometimes it’s just hard for them. Always keep extra clothes just in case at school.

4 Likes

My son still never use bathroom at school he is 8 now since day one he thinks it’s dirty as everyone use that. I have counseled and all but no use so I guess ask your kid if she thinks it’s dirty or big for her to use.

4 Likes

Sometimes if the toilet is an auto flush it is loud and scarey- often flushing before child is able to get off of the toilet

6 Likes

Is it an auto flush? Sometimes that is scary

4 Likes

My daughter didn’t use school bathroom until middle school. Her son(16) won’t sit down on toilet at school(gets picked up or walks home if he really has to go). I use before I leave and when I get home. I try to outside but can’t. She might grow out of it. Until then extra clothes is a must.

1 Like

I worked in pre- k maybe she fell in and ot flushed ?A lot of of the time it was because they were playing and waited to long . Some teacher’s have there bathroom schudle and they can’t go in between . Some just don’t want to go at school I had one child who would hold poop all day until they got home you just never know children have many fears .Just have patients .

1 Like

My girl had a problem with loud flushes and echos in the bathroom. We had to let her not flush and the teacher/day care worker had to flush after she left. She is 11 now and sometimes gets anxious if the blpublic bathrooms are big, busy and/or noisy.

My grandson had trouble when he started kindergarten. His mother didn’t make a big deal out of it and the problem went away

1 Like

Serious question for you mama…when she has an accident at school do you take her a change of clothes? The reason I ask I that your precious child may be suffering with separation anxiety. Back in my day, there was no pre-k or kindergarten. As long as your 6th birthday occurred by Dec 31, a child would begin 1st grade at age 5. I fell into that category. So I was with my mama until I was 5-3/4. I suffered with being away from my mommy, so I would intentionally have accidents because I knew she would come to my rescue! That was my solution to be able to see my mama in the middle of the school day. However, my mama fixed it to where she sent a change of clothes to school with me every day. That was the end of my accidents. It’s tough on these precious children to endure being separated at such a young age. Best of luck to you❣️

Do u help her or leave the door open when she is home? If so she may just be scared. I’ve always hated closed doors, not sure why but I do…I remember being little n insisting on the door being open cuz of fear

1 Like

Having worked at a pre-k i can tell you that some of the kids at that age are just nasty…its very possible she has gone in behind one of those…? I had a couple of kiddos revert bc of that. Straight up told me that the bathroom is gross. :joy: they werent wrong…could also be the auto flush if there is one…

Same with my granddaughter. She just started Kindergarten and has had a few pee accidents where before she was doing fine. She is dry at night but I thinks she gets distracted easily during the day and puts off going.

Our grand daughter experienced this, the rules were no one could go into the bathroom but the child and she was afraid. Once the teacher understood the fear, she was able to help.

Maybe the loudness of the automatic flush scares her.
Maybe it flushed when she was still on the toilet?
Maybe the toilet is too big for a small bottom and its scary if you think you may fall in.

1 Like

she if she’ll draw a picture of the potty area at school. it may give you a clue about the issue

1 Like

I remember in Grade 1, I was too afraid to ask my teacher if I could go to the bathroom. She had said that she didn’t want any more hands up, that she was going on with the lesson. Then oh-ohhhhh! Too late!

It could be a c n ange in using the bathroom to in a different surroundings,. This is normal and will pass as soon as she is comfortable,Just be patient and encouraging

My daughter is 21 now but she said she hated using the school bathrooms and she would wait until she got home too. She didn’t really have a reason either.

1 Like

If she doesn’t do it at home I would think something is going on at school. As a child I hated to use the school restroom but it was because the teacher would come in and yell at me if she felt I was taking to long. It made me feel ashamed and embarrassed. So I made every effort possible not to go until I got home.

If wasn’t having accidents but now is, it’s possible she hadn’t been going all along and by holding it now has a uti and can’t hold it, hence the accidents. I would check on that just in case.

My daughter is exactly the same but with number 2.She was all good up until last year when she started prep,she was out of nappies day night from 3.But a couple of months into the school year in prep she stop pooing on the toilet,she doesn’t have accidents at school anymore but she still continues to have accidents at home.The only way that I can get a full poo out is to put a nappy on.But she has started doing very small poo on the toilet recently but not enough she still wears a nappy at night now so she can get the full poo out.This has been going on for nearly 2 years now.

She probably doesnt like the toilet seat…if it’s like most public toilets and doesnt meet in the front…shes probably sitting on partial porcelan.

She is normal , children go back and forth all the time , leave her alone, try taking her to the toilet with you and let her see how you do it ,she may follow

Would not keep asking her. It seems something happened in that bathroom that really scared her. Maybe a spider or a smell she didn’t like? If it is someone at the school you’ll not get a straight answer. Ask her about who she likes at school as a starter. Don’t be too aggressive or she won’t talk. There’s always a reason. It may be a simple one or something worse. Tell her that bugs scare you. Maybe she’ll open up. Good luck and be blessed.

Could be the anxiety of peeing in a public place. I used to be that way

I’m so impressed with many of these answers! You moms … So smart and helpful! Thanks.

I was made fun of by other students when using the restroom at school. After that I just held it until I got home.

1 Like

I would talk to her pediatrician about this issue.

Have you tried taking a potty chair that belongs to her

A lot of children at this age are learning they have some control with what they do. This is one way of asserting some control. Pre-K teacher of 7 years…it will get better…I promise!:purple_heart:

An adjustment for her…she might be afraid to ask to go?

1 Like

Is it possible to take her with you into the school bathroom while YOU pee? Maybe if she saw you being comfortable with it, she might too?

Is it an open front toilet seat. Sometimes they don’t like that.

Have the teacher take her periodically a couple of times per day. It could be urgency or that she is afraid of being alone in the stall.

My grandchildren refused to use bathroom only at home cause they always said you don’t know whose been on them before .

Something going on, naturally teacher not going to say, maybe she unaware

Are the toilets auto flush? I have Littles that refuse to go with an auto flush toilet. It’s scary!

Maybe the size/shape of the toilet
My youngest doesn’t like public restrooms because of the difference

Sounds like something in there is scaring her. Could she be afraid of getting locked in?

1 Like

Watch her closely but don’t make a big thing of it and she will correct it I’m sure

Talk with her keep it light…could be simple öike the light

Yes send extra clothes but let them use pull ups until they readjust to their new surroundings.

My daughter is 20 and still refuses go to the bathroom in any public place.

Sounds like it is caused by stress.

1 Like

Does the stall have a door? If so it may be the closed in feeling. Are you able to visit the school and take her to the restroom once?

Be strong dear it’s not that easy you will surely get there as time goes on

If it flushes automatically, that can sometimes scare children!

Give her some wipes to take to school so she can clean the seat if need be.

Maybe she’s afraid to go in there alone?

I think it’s because the toilets are not private

Somethings going on. Id check out the daycare more thoroughly. Maybe someone was mean to her there??

I feel like something happened and that’s why she doesn’t want to go there. Or maybe she’s just particular about bathrooms. Some adults are like that.

A bladder infection???

Keep asking questions. Something happened.

Did she go in and find the pot full or seat dirty?

A one stall bathroom?

My granddaughter suddenly refused to go to school after attending happily for months. Upon questioning, she could give no reason(she was five). Years later we happened to be driving by that same school and she said “that’s the school where the little boy was mean to me.” Go figure. At that age sometimes they don’t have the capacity to explain. Some little boy on her class could have said to your daughter “Imgonna go in there and look at your peepee”. I guess the only thing you can do ( besides taking her out of school) is put her in pull ups until she can cope better.

Does she use the bathroom alone at home? If not she could be overwhelmed and stressed.

My son is 4 same thing happened to us it took months to fix the situation but now he’s back on track

Mine won’t pee in school. He is delayed with an IEP and wears a pull ups and soaks thru his pull up as soon as he gets on the bus. I’ve started putting training underwear on him over the pull up so the outside of his clothes are less wet… But I’m at a complete loss.

That’s is a big transition. I have ASD. When I started kindergarten I became selectively mute for 6 months. It actually led to my diagnosis.
If she starts to regress in other areas you need to take her to a pediatric psychiatrist. But if this is the only regression, it will likely get better once she adjusts to her environment.

1 Like

Maybe take her in before she starts her day for a pre class start bathroom break and hopefully it works.

Maybe she has trouble with pulling up pants? We used to make sure his pants were easy to pull up and down.

My grandaughter was put in preschool at 4 and was not ready emotionally or in any other way. Some children are not emotionally ready at 4 to attend school and they regress. The toliet could be taller or automatic flush and scary to the child. There is another possibilty. Child molestation. There are predators everywhere especially if they have the care of your children for hours at a time. Parents are placing theit little ones in the hands of virtual strangers in daycare or preschool. There should be background checks on all caregivers of children today. You cant be to careful in todays crazy world.

My youngest did but we figured out it was because he was getting new clothes from the school after his first accident. Maybe she is getting something when it happens that she wants. We cured it by making sure my son always had extra clothes.

Probably some untaught child left it nasty

My son did when he moved from the 2 year old room to the 3 year old room at daycare. We started a sticker chart with a small reward (lollipop) for a week of no accidents. He never had another accident even before the first week was done.

1 Like

When my son first started going to daycare he started to have accidents when he never did before and when i asked why he was having them he said that the other kids did it so he thought he could too but i explained to him that he was a big boy now and that he wears big boy underwear and that he was supposed to use the bathroom and that those boys just hadn’t learned yet and we never had anymore issues. I guess he was just proud to be considered a big boy.

2 Likes

Take your child to the pediatrician for a checkup. Only trying to inform you, don’t want to scare you, but children will do this sometimes when they are being sexually abused.

3 Likes

This is all a big adjustment for her. She is around ones she isn’t familiar with. If she is used to going potty at home and around people she is comfortable with it’s probably just a transition. Just being away from mommy is a big transition.

2 Likes

One of my kids was scared the first time they used an auto flush toilet. They did there business and got up the toilet flushed. My kid came out screaming that there was a ghost in the bathroom that flushed the toilet. I had to explain and show them that it was supost to do that. Then showed them that the towel machine was automatic also. After that they thought it was cool.

9 Likes

Her ability to go when she needs to go has been road blocked. Some kids are sensitive about privacy like my own 7 year old grandson.
As I remember kids went potty at the same time…she needs to be able to go when she needs to. Try giving her only about 1/2 to 1 cup of fluid before school with breakfast. It needs to be milk or equivalent. She should raise hand when she needs to go…per agreement with teacher.

1 Like

My 3 year old daughter is absolutely terrified of the sound of the automatic hand dryers. Do they have one of them in their bathroom? It could be something as minor as that which might put her off using the bathroom at certain places. I hope you discover a solution soon x

7 Likes

My son did that and when I went to school with him we walked through the classroom together and then talked about going to the bathroom. He told me the red eye in the bathroom scared him. Red Eye? Had him take me in and show me the red eye. My son thought the red light on the toilet was an eyeball watching him.🤦 the toilet was an auto flush with the little red light.

10 Likes

Could be a number of reasons. She may be hearing a lot of germ and covid talk and figure no way. She could be a very private person and just not be able to use a public washroom. She could be unwilling to miss anything going on in class.

4 Likes

Don’t make a big issue about it. Just say never mind maybe tomorrow you will go to the toilet. Patience xx

3 Likes

My lil nephew is doing the same thing he 5 in kindergarten. Been potty trained since 3. He was going at first then all of a sudden he refuses to go at school. Don’t have a reason why. Then he don’t tell the teacher he stays wet til someone else notice it

It maybe that she is having to much fun playing with her new friends and doesn’t want to stop to go so she just does it on herself. At least that’s what my daughter did.

Is the bathroom clean???

My son had this problem, turned out he was scared of the hand dryer noise

I was terribly afraid of the toilets at school when I was a kid. I think because they were so loud when they flushed. So maybe she’s just scared of the toilet and feels silly telling you so…

Our son (4) recently has had regressions at school, he doesn’t like public restrooms and doesn’t like to stop playing with his friends so would rather wet himself. Nothing happened, he’s just spirited :rofl::sweat_smile:

What worked for us was reward systems. We bought a toy he REALLY wanted and made a sticker chart, he had to go all week without an accident at school. But, we had to do this a few weeks in a row (so multiple prizes) to get it to become a real habit. A little $ invested but it proved it wasn’t ability or anything REALLY wrong, he just wasn’t motivated to do what we wanted him to. :woman_shrugging:t2:

This was actually my post. I appreciate each and every comment and each bit of support and advice. It’s nice to have somewhere to post these things and not be shamed for it.
Ava, my 4 year old, potty trained late. But by the time she started school she was fully potty trained and it was not an issue. She did great in school for the first few months, then all of a sudden started regressing. I have spoken with her teacher, who I LOVE, and I don’t doubt her abilities or opinions at all, and she is also at a loss. I specifically asked if there had been any kind if incident, big or small, like someone turning the lights off, or the door accidentally locking or someone bullying or teasing her. The teacher says the bathroom is a single stalled bathroom, so only one kid at a time. The lights are not timed or motion sensor, they are turned on first thing in the morning and not turned off until the end of the day after all the students are gone.
I have also spoken with the school nurse. She had to help ky daughter change once and said the urine in her undies was discolored and smelled strongly. So I have an appointment to have her checked for a UTI and just to speak with her pediatrician about possible issues.
If she does not have a UTI, then her teacher and I are both prepared to try different things until we find a solution that makes my daughter comfortable and puts my worries at ease.
Being a mom is a hard job, and I thank each and every one of you for all the advice, support and commentary. I will take it all into comoderation. :heart:

My daughter was afraid of the auto flush. Was afraid to use them so she wouldn’t go.

Is it private for her, some preschool toilets seem to have open stalls so they are visible being in an open bathroom.

Mine refused to use the one at school.No matter how many times we talked to her.She got an infection from holding it.She just didn’t like the smell in there.Nothing else just the smell.

You have messed with her normal! She will eventually see that it is normal to go pee at school.

Maybe she could go with one of her friends

Possibly :Someone is either bullying her in the bathroom or she’s seen it happen to someone else.

Does she have an infection which might hurt when she pees