Pros and cons of travel ball for kids?

My 8 year old daughter (almost 9) has been in rec ball a long time and now has the option of going select /travel ball. Do we go? I’m worried I’m taking time from my other kids and my spouse and family time. Could she still thrive in Rec Ball?

3 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Pros and cons of travel ball for kids? - Mamas Uncut

What is rec ball? Is that like softball? Is it a lot of traveling? 1 night a week? I loved softball as a kid…played up into high-school from a young age. Could your youngest and husband not go with you?

If she is interested in travel ball it is an amazing opportunity!!! My neice started in rec and switched to travel ball. It opens a lot of doors if she may want to play ball in college. Early to think about that I know, but my niece was watched by recruiters a lot more in travel ball than she was in high school

My son played travel baseball for about 5 years.It took up our whole weekend and it can get really expensive you have to pay for each person to get in and the players usually have a tournament fee to play which could be anywhere from 35 to 100 a tournament and quite often we would have to stay in motels for the weekend depending on how far away it was.But I didn’t mind because he really enjoyed it .

1 Like

At that age yes, she can still improve and enjoy it, but as she gets older being on an elite team and travelling will give her much better opportunities. That’s about the age I started travelling with my son for wrestling. He was 7 and turned 8 during that season. That was also his first year he qualified for and placed at states. Now this year at 10 he placed 5th at nationals. If you have the ability give her the opportunity. The memories made will be well worth it! We have been in 12 states in the last year for sports. Travel football and wrestling. I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

2 Likes

My son played travel AAU basketball. They do play against kids with more talent so it helps them. But yes it takes up your weekends plus practice during the week. It does get expensive we went as a family so gas, parking, meals, hotels,out of state drives sometimes plane rides which with that I did send him with the coach or another parent. He did get to visit lots of states and enhance his skills.

2 Likes

I have girls that are in travel as long as they love it ,we will continue with it! You will be busy but savor every moment ! I love watching my girls play plus all the friendships they have made. Also their confidence in themselves & discipline , work ethic among other things they learn.

1 Like

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Pros and cons of travel ball for kids? - Mamas Uncut

Travel ball was the best thing that my sister and I could have ever done!! You make so many new friends. It also helps your skill level!

Rec ball is great but travel is where it’s at if she’s looking to be recognized, scholarships etc. There’s lots more opportunity and better experiences in travel ball.

Travel ball will look amazing in transcripts. If ball is something she want to pursue with college than passing up the opportunity would be a mistake. If it’s just a pass time for her then so be it, rec will be fine.

1 Like

My son played travel baseball. Very expensive and time consuming. Alot of in and out of state travel every weekend for tournaments. On top of team fees there are tournament fees, travel cost. IMO travel ball is for those VERY interested in pursuing whatever sport in college and beyond. Otherwise rec is fine.

1 Like

My daughter started Rec ball and at 8 started travel ball! She is now playing in college! It is difficult but very rewarding! Don’t miss 40 degrees sitting in stands for practice but made great memories and made lots of good friends!

1 Like

Ask her what she wants to do. If she wants to do it I wouldn’t take her sport away from her. Make it a family thing everyone goes.