Questions about babies born on methadone?

They will keep her and baby in the hospital for 3-5 days just to monitor the baby for any withdrawals. If the baby has tremors, has trouble holding temp or has trouble eating they will give the baby meds to help. After the first 5 days as long as the baby is eating, holding temp and can be easily consoled they will let them go home. In my experience the baby was completely normal at birth , nobody would know the difference. The dr’s have to warn you of the worst case scenario but honestly it sounds a lot more scary then it is. Just try to treat her and baby normal because the dr’s and nurses can come off a bit judge-mental. She did the right thing and because of that her and baby will be just fine.

5 Likes

Prayers for mom and baby!

I’m almost sure the baby will have extreme withdrawal but breastfeeding will help. A friend of mine was on Suboxone her whole pregnancy and the baby had sever withdraw symptoms some people say it’s worse than heroine because wit last longer

1 Like

If her doctors orders are to stay on it and she’s being taken care of then they’ll know what to do although yes the withdrawal off methadone is horrid​:sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob: I’m glad she got the help she needed and this is helping her stay clean.

3 Likes

The baby will be born addicted. It will be awful to see but as long as it is being carefully monitored it should be fine.

1 Like

Awful, she should be making better choices for her baby, no matter what! I had a friend and her baby went through withdrawals for days and it was awful. I could never ever do this to my child. Another thing, just because a Dr says it’s ok, doesn’t mean it is. It is not ok at all.

7 Likes

HELLO. I HAVE PERSONAL EXPERIENCE WITH HAVING MY BEAUTIFUL HEALTHY BABY BOY ON METHADONE I was clean almost 2 years and on methadone . He is almost 5 months and by the way to all the judgmental f*cks that’s have no actual facts about pregnancy and methadone , you can not get off the medication because its unsafe for the child to withdraw because they feel what you feel and the child feels everything you do which in that case it will cause fetal death. So if she was in a situation like me clean for almost 2 years now and had an unexpected pregnancy but absolutely wants to keep that child and doesnt believe in abortion and is i love with the person who she made the baby with then you cant physically quit the methadone while pregnant if you care about that child like I do because the poor baby will die. So fyi theirs no choice if you want to stay on it or not. We dont. Want to harm out babies .

My son was born v healthy and he wasn’t withdrawing if anything v mild symptoms not the awful scary things that could happen with neonatal abstanence syndrome my baby boy was sleeping like every new born does and would only wake up to feed but he. Needed to eat more so they kept us mainly for that not even withdraws he was doing well and very ok and not suffering like some poor babies UNFORTUNATLEY do… baby leo was a bit shaky but very very little when we would unswaddle but was sleeping alot! Which is healthy and normal for newborn Angel’s.

Also I did not listen to doctors and did not go up for dose when they asked if I felt sicker sometimes because sometimes what happens is the baby is taking methadone from you so it doesnt become enough but I felt fine I just knew I wasn’t off the med I was feeling just fine maybe some sweatyness and hot cold and chills sometimes in the morning but for my child I didnt sana go up 10 mg my baby father would have killed me he said I only went 3 mg and he was still mad but only for the whole 9 months and docs say they want patients to fo up 10 mg a month when pregnant I didnt and I am clean. So only drug medication I was taking was methadone
I feel like that’s why my boy leo was very calm and felt okay because I didnt gk up in does nd when you keep a consistent dose once a day everyday not going up and split doses just keeping it the same from beginning the baby will most likely feel better then most or little to none withdraws which we all pray for wwho ate on that while pregnant. We have no choice to get off it or not we’d want out child so we have to stay on it…everyone I know at clinic calls it liquid handcuffs ! But I prayed my son would not suffer and it paid off. All of it did. Do your research everyone before you assume. I hate that
Merry xmas everyone god bless ! This is my baby boy, my entire l
World

37 Likes

I know someone who was in this same situation. She had 2 kids and both times was on methadone through a clinic. Both babies had a bit of issues with with drawl and had to be closely monitored for a bit after birth. Both grew and are normal kids at this point. Not the ideal situation, but under a doctors care should turn out ok

This post needs to be removed. The op has clearly gotten the advice she wanted. There are so many ignorant fucks on this thread that have no idea what they are talking about. Until you’ve become addicted and overcome you have NO IDEA!

If her doctor has her under medical care and with her n keeping check on baby. Then trust her doctor. And if she is worried then look for a second option from a doctor.

Another one^^ from my comment

6 Likes

She shouldn’t breastfeed at all the baby will more then likely go through withdrawal and better to get it out of their system rather then feeding it to them.

They will have to wean baby off of it… thats horrible… methodone is just synthetic heroin… baby can have serious defects…

5 Likes

My comment wont be popular but CONGRATULATIONS!!! IM SO PROUD OF YOU!!! You are picking your baby over drugs! I’ve never been addicted to drugs nor Have I ever seen anyone going through withdraw except on tv. But my kids have friends who chose drugs over them :frowning:

17 Likes

I have foster children 1 was born addicted to methadone. it has many many physiological side effects. which cause many many issues later in life. I feel for the baby.

3 Likes

Why are so many people negative about this. Yes baby will have withdraws and it will be sad to experience
But how about the caffeine junky moms who drink so much while pregnant their babys withdraw? Or mothers who smoke?. The nice mother could have been an addict who is in the process of getting her life turned around. It could have taken her months to realize she was pregnant due to the body adjusting to meds ect. Yes methadone is a very strong rehabilitation med but who is to say the doctor perscribing it hasnt slowly weened mom to the lowest dose possible to minimize withdraw? Yes noone wants to put a baby threw withdraw but the risk of baby dying inside mom because moms body goes threw withdraw is just as bad… For those saying they would never do it or telling her to get off the meds… She may wish she could but may fear loosing the baby or her doctor may tell her not to. Drugs are scary. The mental and physical need to take them due to addiction is scary. Ive seen friends and family suffer from it. Sadly taking away methadone could cause relapse. Look up the stitistics on deaths due to overdose when the person was on a drug like methadone and it was taken away. A lot of those people who relapse die due to overdose. Maybe mom doesn’t feel she would be strong enough to not relapse yet? It takes a lot of will power and internal strength to seek help for yourself and unborn child but at least she is trying to do what is best.

7 Likes

There is a lot of misinformation in this post. I STRONGLY suggest you look and research NAS symptoms and pediatricians that specialize in NAS.
Seriously more than 80 percent of everything written on this post is inaccurate.

6 Likes

Good luck and many blessings to you.

It’s tough, I adopted my great niece at birth because of meth, she went through withdrawals and it was pitiful, but she is awesome, she’s four now and S-Mart as a tack!

2 Likes

I got on subutex when I was 17 weeks pregnant and when my daughter was born because of me being on the highest dose possible they thought that she would go through quiet bad withdrawals but she didn’t show any signs at all of her withdrawing
Everything was fine it didn’t affect her one bit.
I Breast fed for over 7 months whilst still on buep some doctors say that maybe why she didn’t show any signs of withdrawal because they get a little of the medication through the breast milk

My daughter is now about to turn 2 and she is the most loving caring beautiful little girl
And she has still never had any problems or delays through out her life :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Ik u said about methadone but I went through my last pregnancy being on subutex. I was on a low dose and a lot of swaddling n love, he did not go through a detox. He got lowest score on withdrawl. Some of the score questions are things newborns normally can do…sneezing…yawning…etc. I do know moms who had been on methadone pregnant n they did wind up in NICU for a few days. Was on morphine to weane baby off methadone and was able to go home healthy. However, they didnt breastfeed since the moms still had to be on the medication. But idk how that goes but w me being on suboxone at the time, i couldnt BF…but then again, i was switched back onto suboxone from subutex cuz suboxone has a blocker that is not good for a baby to have in his or her system…that’s prob why I couldnt bf my last child but idk how it goes w methadone. I just know the moms I knew were on it didnt BF cuz of it. It depends on dosage when it comes to how much the baby will withdrawal. Under a doctor’s care, she should be just fine.
A 51A will be filed automatically. Dcf just wants to hear from doc that the mom was prescribed the medication during the pregnancy under their care and the case never opens.

The fact that’s she is nursing baby after will cut down on withdrawal cuz baby will still get some from breast feeding. Also girls r stronger at birth. My daughter was born 4 wks early n weighed 4lbs 13 ozs n was only kept in the hospital 4 days. Zero withdrawals! The hospital will monitor baby for at least 5 days the 2nd or 3rd day will be the worst if there is gona be issues.

1 Like

First of ill start by saying I’ve been on methadone and clean from illegal drugs for 3 years. I was on methadone when I found out I was pregnant. After my daughter was born they kept her for about 2 weeks while weaning her with extremely small doses of morphine. I’m talking like 0.01 milligrams. While she was in the hospital she was a perfect angel. Once completely off the morphine and proving to be stable they sent her home. Once we got her home she had a little fussiness here and there but other than that she was/is a completely healthy perfect little girl!! If you have any questions you’re more than welcome to shoot me a message :cupid:

6 Likes

Not sure about the breastfeeding because the methadone will pass through the moms milk.

Yes it’s going to be tough for the baby withdrawing from the drugs crying and very flighty and unsettled, needs a very quiet and calm darkened environment !

They only want a mother to breastfeed their babies if they are on anything, so the baby will not go through the withdrawals . A baby will not withdrawal if the baby continues to get the drug. And the withdrawals are horrible… Most of our babies go to NICU within 36 hrs of life or less. And usually there for about a wk. Sometimes less, sometimes more. We would like the baby to do all this in the hospy, because again, the withdrawals are horrible & it is hard for anyone to deal with this :(. Afterwards, alot depends on the home life on how a baby, child turns out

1 Like

The baby will still have withdrawal. And if you’re on methadone, you’re not clean, you’re still using, it’s just being given to you by “medical” people.

1 Like

I pray all goes well for baby and mama. My son failed big time on methadone ( used other drugs in combination made him psycho) but is now clean over 2 years with suboxone. Anyone know if this would be better for mama/baby?