Should 10 year olds be watching R rated movies?

Shoulds 10 year olds be watchign R rated movies? i asked my son how his time with his dad was over the weekend and he said it was good…they had a movie night on friday night and when i asked what movie they watched and he said the conjuring…first of all…i looked it up and it looked scary and second of all he is 10 years old and has no business watching rated R movies…i texted his dad and told him i didnt appreciate it and now he is blowing up on me saying i need tomind my business…help

119 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. https://answers.mamasuncut.com/t/should-10-year-olds-be-watching-r-rated-movies/20141

My dad let me watch Scream when I was 6

My kids 7 and 9 watched it with us

Sounds like you are looking for drama. Let the kid watch movies with his dad. If he gets scared he learns not to watch it again :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

I’ve watched r rated movies since I was 5 or 6 years old and I allow my two girls watch scary movies I think it depends on the child

It’s the Conjuring…not 50 Shades of Grey. You don’t get to dictate what they do when he is with his dad unless it puts your son in danger. Horror movies are fun.

17 Likes

I was maybe 7 when I watched From Dusk Till Dawn lmao nudity, violence, language I mean it’s a Rob Rodriguez film :rofl:
Absolutely fine as long as they understand not to repeat any actions or language from them and understand that it’s not real. Watched The Exorcist at about 10 as well as How High, Friday, even South Park and way more.
Calm down momma

1 Like

It’s not like he was watching something filled with sex. It’s a freaking movie about a haunting and it’s not even scary. My kids watched the scary movies at that age.
Sounds more like you’re looking for something to complain about. If he’s not endangering your child’s life then what they do is their business.

I started watching horror movies at the age of 4. It’s my favorite genre still to this day.
Way to go dad! The Conjuring is a good pick!

10 Likes

My kids love horrors. Is he traumatized?

4 Likes

If it’s not giving nightmares or causing bad behavior chill tf out.

2 Likes

Different houses, different rules. Dad’s parent different than moms. You are only responsible for your relationship with your son. His dad is responsible for his own.

His time his rules, your time your rules

1 Like

I’ve been watching horror films since I was 5. If he wasn’t scared than he is fine. I remember being 10 and watching nightmare on elm st, chucky etc

2 Likes

Honestly you really have no say on what he does in his house as long as your kid is clothed fed clean and happy. Be grateful the dad is in the kids life.

When my daughter was 3 her favorite movie was chucky :joy:

Like everyone has said you are creating a issue where there isn’t one. My step daughter is 10 and is allowed to watch any rating here with the supervision of me and her dad, same goes for my 7 year old daughter as well. However at my step daughter house with her mom she is only allowed to watch G rated movies. Her mom is aware of any movie she watches and doesn’t seem to have a issue with it but that the rules at her house stands. My step daughter mom and dad have no the agreed that whatever happens at our house is up to us and whatever happens at her house is up to her and neither one of them is allowed to tell the other what can and can’t happen at each other house. I think you are creating a issue to just have control. And your ex is right that you need to kind your own business unless your kid is being harmed or not being taken care of properly.

2 Likes

Pick your battles !!!
Some Moms would be thankful for another parent -think positive !!!

3 Likes

Yeah the conjuring is a little scary, maybe it won’t be as scary for him. A lot of kids these days watch that kind of stuff. But it’s his time so not sure what you can really do about it

Lol my 7 year old just watched IT for the second time last weekend. He watched the nun a couple months ago, but gave up after 30 min or so because he said it was boring and not scary enough haha… that being said you can make whatever rules you want for your child however dad can too

2 Likes

Look up the ratings and why its rated that. Most R rated movies have to be rated R is they say the F word twice

I was like 5 when I sat with my family and watched A Nightmare on Elm Street. I’m relatively normal. My girls watched scary movies with me and are totally fine. When they got scared I’d pause the movie and we’d find something to laugh at in the frame. Usually it was the bad make up.

I’d relax a bit and stop micromanaging.

My mom made me watch childs play when i was 5 and pet cemetery when I was 10

My son watches the squid games

My 13 year old is not good with scary movies but my 8 year old daughter loves anything with demons and ghost and horror in general. She has since she was about 3 or 4. Different kids enjoy different things. If it doesn’t affect him in a negative way then let it be

Imo no. But. Split parents. Split opinions unfortunately.

2 Likes

calm yourself… bigger issues.

My 7 year olds favorite type of movies is horror movies… has been for years… he asks to watch things like IT, the nun, etc….
Nothing wrong with it

1 Like

I started watching horror movies at the age of 5 and I love them. My daughter loves chunky and she’s 3 you need to pick your battles He’s obviously mature enough to watch it it shouldn’t matter what he dose at his dad house and your house
I get it that you want your little boy to stay little but he’s a big boy and if he enjoys them then let him there not real and if he’s mature to watch it then let it go he’s his own person who knows himself better then anyone on what he likes or doesn’t like
Pick your battles because your being very EXTRA

2 Likes

My 8yr old has watched all the conjuring movies he’s like me and loves scary movies they boy goes to sleep watching ghost shows

My step son loves horror and spooky movies. He has since he was probably 6-7. He went through a Chucky phase then an IT phase. We binge watched some of the Chucky movies one night and took him to see the newest IT in theaters. He’s 10 now. If he starts having bad dreams or something, then talk to your ex about cutting out the scary movies. But other than that he should be fine.

Pick your battles. This isn’t one of them.

My kids watch scary movies all the time. When I was young I watched everything. I guess I just don’t see a problem.

1 Like

Unfortunately it doesn’t really matter what you have to think about it being a divorced parent means that when you have parenting time you parent how you feel is best and vice versa. Truly don’t think it’s going to damage your child. I would pick your battles For more serious issues.

4 Likes

Not your household, so it doesn’t matter. Even some superhero movies are rated R.

2 Likes

I think it depends on the kid & the movie

1 Like

What happens at his house is really none of your business. You can’t control what he does on his time.!

1 Like

My son has been watching scary gory movies since he was 5. He begged to watch the “helicopter movie.” I sat on that for like a week. I couldn’t figure out what he was talking about. He finally brought me the case and it was my Saw boxset. He’s 10 now and has been Jason for Halloween twice.

This is hilarious…will he have to be 13 to watch PG 13 movies and 17 for rated R too? :thinking::sweat_smile:

1 Like

I think it depends on the kid. I remember watching scarier movies than that when I was that age. If he seems like he is bothered by it (ex…bad dreams, acting nervous or scared in general due to it) I would have said something then
But if he can handle it then I don’t see an issue. He’s old enough to understand it’s all fake.

2 Likes

I mean…. At the end of the day, it’s not your business really. He’s with his dad and that’s his time. He’s not starving him or beating him so pick your battles …

6 Likes

My 8 year old watches scary movies with us. I’m sure he has either seen worse on video games or on online. As long as he was not forced by dad I see no issues with it

1 Like

My son is 9 and loves the IT movies

My daughter and I have been big into scary movies the past two years. We love decorating and celebrating Halloween so we watch horror movies especially around Halloween. She’s 12 and will be 13 in October. I don’t think it’s a big deal.:woman_shrugging:t2:

No definitely not, even I wouldn’t watch that, yes it is ur business he is only 10, surely Dad could pick a more suitable movie next time

It depends on the movie. If you had said something like Jurassic World or pretty much anything else, I would have not been concerned about it. The Conjuring is a little intense for a 10 year old because it‘a based on a true story. In fact, it runs pretty true to what happened because the real Lorraine Warren has a cameo as a member of the audience in one of the lecture scenes of the movie. She wouldn’t have appeared in the movie if she didn’t approve of the script and cast. Let’s put it this way. I wouldn’t have let my 10 year old watch it. The problem here is, you can’t really control what your son’s father does. Just be ready for questions from your son… or any nightmares that may come up.

3 Likes

Huge horror flick fan here lol Great movie btw :slightly_smiling_face:. He’s 10 and watched a flick with dad (so with parental guidance) and obviously it didnt freak him out cause nightmares etc. So ya imo u are over reacting a bit. Unless your son is being put in danger mentally emotionally or physically leave it be and allow the Bond between father and son to grow. It has caused no harm.

4 Likes

Honestly I won’t be the one to tell u that it’s not ur business bc it’s not your house. When my bonus son would go back and forth between households we tried to make sure we kept the same rules for each house. If he was grounded at one house he was grounded at the other. ( such as tablet & cellphone) we tried not to be played against each other either. It’s a lot better for the child if it can be one united front even if it’s in two households.

My 4 year olds favorite movie is about a killer demon that comes out of a box. (Jack in the box: the awakening). If the kid isn’t scared and having night terrors :woman_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

Nope not even reading the backstory
Nope

I think it depends on the movie and the kid

2 Likes

My 9 year old watches scary movies :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

Girl I was watching scary movies at that age with my best friend, Michael Meyers, chucky, children of the corn, still my favorite genre as an adult best memories honestly lol

2 Likes

Yes, you need to mind your own business, nothing wrong with a kid watching scary movies, some kids actually enjoy them and they are bonding.

2 Likes

My five year old loves scary movies. I just look up ones without sexual content or nudity.

3 Likes

My son watches movies that are too adult in my opinion with his dad and I just roll my eyes. You can whine about it but it won’t change anything. If he starts asking questions or having nightmares then bring it back up. Otherwise pick your battles. Your peace is worth more than the drama of things out of your control.

2 Likes

All I read from this is that your son was spending quality time with his dad. He’s one lucky kid.

4 Likes

R rated scary depends on the kid, R rated because of sex then definitely not.

depends on the kid. at that age i had already watched so many horrors. if your kid can handle it and understands it is just a movie, then i don’t see why it would be a bad thing. and whatever he does in his time with the child has nothing to do with you, he is safe, being cared for and happy. that’s all that matters.

Mind your own business unless your the perfect mother…

1 Like

My son was around 7 or 8 when he started watching R rated movies. Depends on why it’s rated R. Sex and nudity, no. Blood and gore, absolutely. :woman_shrugging:t4: I agree with him. Mind your business unless it’s giving your kids nightmares or something.

Well im a bad mother because all my kids from birth have sat and watched what i have. Chucky, freddy, all the scary movies if I’m honest. My son asked for a Micheal myers mask for his bday :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Who cares? Honestly ur son is 10 not 2 and if it hasnt affected him why should it matter? At least his dad is spending time with.him…give ur head a shake

My girl.loved this movie at his age, still does🙄

Hahaha you do need to mind your business. It’s good, you live and learn

3 Likes

What he does at his house isn’t your business unless it’s putting your kid in danger. The conjuring isn’t scary in the least. Your kid will be ok

5 Likes

I grew up watching all the scary movies Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, Jason :person_shrugging: You didn’t watch scary movies ?

4 Likes

My 5 yr old watched that when she was 3, every kid is different :woman_shrugging:t2: she also loves Pennywise and American Horror Story. Along with normal things like Sing and Trolls, etc lol if your kid isn’t scared after like having nightmares or anything then I’d say it’s fine, the conjuring isn’t that bad imo but also you don’t really have a say what they do on his time just like I’m sure you wouldn’t appreciate him telling you you can’t do stuff on your time

3 Likes

Sounds like your looking for something to complain about

4 Likes

It really depends on the kid. I remember watching Child’s Play when I was like 5, and my sister was 13…she had nightmares but I was fine.
But either way, it’s sort of out of your control. You can express that it bothers you and ask for some kind of agreement about it, but he’s in charge when your kid is at his house.

4 Likes

My son is 10 and watched all the conjuring movies :joy:

1 Like

If he said it was good and told you about it without hesitation he’s clearly fine with watching it.
The Conjuring isn’t even an R rated movie where I am :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

He’s right… mind your business

5 Likes

I was watching R Rated movies before I was 10. I have always LOVED scary movies. It really depends on the kid. I have a friend who also likes scary movies but they do kinda bother her. As long as he knows they are NOT real, he should be fine.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s suitable for a 10 year old, but unfortunately you can’t control what he does in his house. Good luck

I mean my 7yr old niece watches horror movies with me.

Also the conjuring is far from scary lol.

1 Like

I watched horror movies growing up, I let my kids as well. They don’t have nightmares or aren’t scared afterwards. If they were or panic attacks out of fear then no I wouldn’t. But if they don’t I don’t see the problem with it. It’s fun as a kid, you’re so unknowing and that’s the best part, at least it was for me

My kids are 1,2 and 4 just to add and I watches horror movies well before 10 for sure. Halloween is all 3 of my kids’ favourite holidays as is mine and my boyfriends… they still sleep fine afterwards. The only thing I’m more concerned about is sex scenes that’s what we monitor not scary lol

I personally see nothing wrong with him watching a movie with his Father. That his Father approved. Stay out of it and let them make their own bond and relationship. What happens over there has no say in you unless he is a sex offered or a drug addiction is involved , otherwise dads got this under control. They real can figure stuff out if ya just let them.
I’d guess you don’t want dad calling telling you what to cook and what programs an be seen while under your roof. Unless it’s actually hurting them I see no harm.

I’ve been watching scary movies since I was 5. I absolutely love them my 10 year old likes watching them as well whenever he see a new scary movie on Netflix

1 Like

I think he is right what happens at his house unless it puts your child in danger is really not your business. Plus that movie isn’t really scary depending on how easily scared you get.

5 Likes

My 6 year old has seen that afew times at her grandparents :joy: they watch scary movies all the time with her. Always have. Even as a baby. I’ve watched afew with her too.
Stop being so sensitive.

I watched horrors at 10, they see worse playing video games these days… Half of the horror movies now ain’t even scary anyway.

He’s spending time with his dad he’s not harming him or pawning him off to party he had a movie night. Let them be and choose what they wanna do on their time together

4 Likes

My 4 kids love those kind of movies, the oldest is 11. Unless it’s giving him nightmares or messing with his behaviour, I’d honestly let it be.

1 Like

It’s okay mama as long as the father is bonding and the little boy is happy that all that matters now if affect him I’m the long wrong then you may have to talk to the dad but other than that don’t worry to much about it

Y’all ladies are so mean she’s just asking for an Opinion that’s all sometimes uss mother’s trip out over small things and it’s okay but don’t be rude

You need to allow for a father to parent in his own house. I feel like even if you were still together and under one roof, if he was alone and you were out, he can supervise and decide what his child can watch and it may not be something you would agree with. :woman_shrugging:
But it’s definitely not your business now. So long as your child is safe and cared for.

My 4 yr old just watched jeepers creepers with me so… 6 yr difference and my son wasn’t scared in the least. However, if your son scares easily or has nightmares that are scaring him, then I agree, but also sit him down and explain that it’s not real. It’s people in costumes and fake blood and no one actually is getting hurt. That it’s all about getting excited over the story line and actually enjoying the movie. Doing this has helped my kids in a big way. Because honestly at the end of the day, it’s a movie and just explaining how these “scary” things work is better than a child’s wondering imagination.

If your kid likes horror movies what’s the problem?? As you can/will see from alot of comments, a lot of people start watching horror movies really young. It just depends on the kid. Lighten up dude

The only horror movie so far is the scariest to me is the handsmaid tail .

Depends on the movie

First of all for those of you saying the conjuring isn’t even scary need to stfu you’re giving me a complex I was terrified
Second of all well I don’t really have a second of all I just needed to get that off my chest :rofl:

It’s only a film for godsake

1 Like

My kiddo is 10 and loves scary movies. He watched the conjuring when he was 3. But to each their own. He never has been scared more than a few seconds and never had nightmares.

1 Like

I took my son yo see IT when he was 10. I grew up watching nightmare on Elm St at 5

Dad is the boss during his time with his son.

You sound controlling, you should work on that.

2 Likes

Growing up I watched what my parents watched. We didn’t do horror movies but almost all of my friends did. They grew up watching Chucky, Nightmare on Elm, Texas Chain Saw Massacre, etc. It depends on what you are into if he likes watching scary movies with his dad let him be. Now if your child doesn’t like it and is having nightmares then say something.

3 Likes

What happens during dad’s time isn’t any of your business as long as it’s legal :joy: