Should a 5 year old have a tutor?

Should a five-year-old require a tutor, or should the parents put the effort and make the necessary sacrifices to teach them at that age.

27 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Should a 5 year old have a tutor? - Mamas Uncut

Sometimes kids work better with someone else. My 6 year old goes to a tutor for reading (we still read at home) and he’s made such progress. Just because they have a tutor doesn’t mean the parent isn’t putting in any effort

16 Likes

Parents need to do their part, but the child could also require a tutor for special needs.

2 Likes

I do everything I can, but my son also has resources that help him in areas that I can not. He has Apraxia

Sometimes children don’t do well with the parents. Tutors can do a LOT of good!

Why does it matter who is helping the child as long as (s)he is getting help?

16 Likes

Parents my god why would they get a tutor at that age! Engage with the child

8 Likes

Sometimes kids excel from having someone else help them a little more. And just because someone gets a tutor doesn’t mean the parents are hands off. Everyone should be putting in the effort :heart: it never hurts to offer/test the waters on additional resources to help out little ones grow and learn.

What does it matter??? I paid a tutor to catch my daughter up when she was younger. We also busted our a**es to help her where we could. She did better with the tutor🤷‍♀️ But as parents we NEED to utilize all the resources available to us! A Tutor is just that and the parents play a part in hiring a Tutor so that is very much still efforts on the parents parts

3 Likes

I’m a teacher and a parent. Sometimes kids respond better to others and it doesn’t hurt to have extra help.

12 Likes

Teaching is a job that not everyones cut out to do. The parents should do their part but theres nothing wrong with the parents reaching out and getting help with their kid.

10 Likes

Either. Whichever works for your family. If someone is able to teach their child themselves then good for them. If someone chooses to hire a tutor to teach their child then also good for them. Either way the child is being taught and isn’t that all that matters???

7 Likes

If the parents dont know, how is the child going to know? Why do we expect a parent to do absolutely everything?
Getting a tutor is a great choice as it helps the child. So who is anyone to judge?

4 Likes

I just found out about my husband cheating on me​:broken_heart::broken_heart: with a co-worker! We’ve been married for 3years now with 2 kids and lots of amazing moments together, i wanted to leave, but i love him so much. We are both still young and very attractive. But i want my husband, my friend, and the father of my beautiful children. How do i get past the thought of another woman having my husband? Not my fiancĂ©, not my boyfriend, but my husband! I still love him even though he thinks i want to leave i really want him to do better and stop me before i walk out! My husband told me that he doesn’t feel loved anymore, just because of this co-worker he has be cheating on me and he Said he wants a divorce, i was so devastated​:broken_heart::broken_heart:, heart broken i begged him to listen to me that we can work it out like we always do, but he didn’t listen, he told me that he met someone that loves and understands him, i begged him to consider our kids but he didn’t listen. He left and i was frustrated​:cold_sweat::sob:, i began searching for help and answers, then i heard about a man that can save relationship how ever the case maybe and to remind him of all the things we have been through together and bring him back to me, at first I was scared then i decided to give it a try, and to my biggest suprise I saw my husband at the door step apologizing and begging for forgiveness​:pray:, thanks to DR LAGO​:raised_hands::raised_hands:, I’m posting this to help people with similar issues. I mean no harm you can contact his email address: ([email protected]) or WhatsApp: +2347060550594.

1 Like

Me and my oldest worse fights were over homework and school. I would of def had a tutor if I had had the money when he was younger. Has nothing to do with bad parenting or parents not putting in enough effect .

1 Like

Why are you asking us, you’ve clearly already made your mind up :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

It’s very easy to make assumptions about what goes on in other people’s homes. I find that when I assume things, I’m often wrong. It may not have anything to do with them not wanting to “put in the effort”. The child could be resident to the parent’s efforts. Maybe they’re under stress. There is the possibility that pressure from things beyond their control, make it hard for them to focus 100%, and feel a tutor would be a better option. The bottom line is, the child is receiving the help they need, by someone qualified to do it.

1 Like

Me and my fiancé have agreed when our daughter turns 4-5 we’re gonna hire a tutor while being present as well bc we do want to be apart of helping teach her anything and everything with can but at the same time we both had subjects in school in which we struggled badly with and still struggle with and if I can find a tutor that’s a high school student with straight A’s or a retired school teacher to help us teach her then we damn well will lol she is our child and like I said we will be present either way but some things are harder to teach when you don’t understand it yourself and in some cases children do better with people that aren’t their parents. Also I don’t think trying to teach your children at a young age is a bad thing ,in most cases it will help them do amazing in school and even work in the long run !

This sounds like a question meant as critism for a parents choice. Only the parents can make this decision. If they feel a tutor will help their child & they can afford it so be it. Stop trying to meddle in other people’s business.

3 Likes

Depends on his development.

Well being a single mom who works a full time job during the week plus a sat cleaning job and any odd and end jobs I can find to pay bills on top of doing all cooking housework yard work errands etc. Sometimes it’s hard to find the time to be "more hands on " or maybe the child benefits from outside learning or whi knows what the case is stop judging people

9 Likes

Some parents are simply not cut out to be teachers, and they should not feel guilty about that. But if a child needs help, it’s a parent’s DUTY to get them help, including a tutor if that’s what is needed.

7 Likes

Depends on the needs of the child.

Either! My kids are more focused when someone else is teaching them. If they needed extra help I would definitely hire a tutor. Do what is best for your child. To each their own.

5 Likes

If the child isnt homeschooled then it’s not the parents’ responsibility. Teachers and tutors are trained to do it. If a parent volunteers to teach them then that’s great, but it’s definitely not their responsibility. My daughter got a tutor in kindergarten. I’ve never been good at teaching my kids.

3 Likes

Just because a kid has a tutor doesn’t mean the parents aren’t putting in effort or making sacrifices.

10 Likes

There is absolutely nothing wrong with hiring a tutor for a child that is struggling. And quite often children will listen and learn better from someone else besides their parents.

3 Likes

Depends on the he child, family, needs

Do what’s best for the child

I think it’s whatever works best for you and your child. Sometimes kids will actually pay better attention when a stranger is trying to explain things to them, rather than you as their parent trying to do it, because they can get easily distracted, and not take it as seriously. Also, sometimes tutors have a really good way of explaining things differently in a way that the child can understand better. Everyone does things differently, I think it’s definitely worth a shot :slight_smile:

1 Like

Whatever works for that family is fine. My kids don’t like it when their father and I try to work with them, so it’s really up to how well the child/parent teaching relationship works

It depends. I took my six year old to a tutor because he had a horrible teacher. It was worth it.

If the child learns better with a tutor wouldn’t the parents be doing them a disservice by doing it themselves and hindering their development? My oldest thrives with a tutor and peer learning… my younger ones do best with their father or myself.

3 Likes

It depends what the needs of the child are and how severe they are. Early intervention is key to helping struggling kiddos if it is something deeper than just not growing up in a literacy-rich environment

1 Like

Either way depending on child’s needs. This sounds like it’s coming from a judgmental place and just ew. Support families doing what they need to for their kids.

Depends on the child’s needs. Sometimes they need extra help. That doesn’t mean the parents aren’t trying

I would just be happy they are putting in an effort however it works for their family. Not doing anything could be an issue but if it’s helping I don’t think it matters that it’s them or a tutor and a tutor might be better trained how to teach the child. Not everyone is patient enough to teach and especially not patient enough to help a struggling child.

My daughter is considered special needs and is very delayed. She does much better with outside help at times because she’s with me all the time. So having someone else work with her too helps her . We work with her at home but she doesn’t always cooperate even with outside help.

2 Likes

Technique to problem solving and learning has changed since I was in school. My way of reaching the same answer would be considered wrong despite getting the same outcome… if I want my child to succeed, I would get a tutor since I cannot give them the help they need.

It’s whatever works best for you. My daughter had special help during school. I work 3rd and am always tired, barely have energy to cook and do household duties during the week. I would fail NY child in educating them so if she needed extra studying at home I’d get a tutor to help me.

As a teacher of young children, the majority learn better from someone that is not a relative. Nothing at all to do with parents not putting in effort

2 Likes

Sounds like you’re being judgmental

2 Likes

It seems like there’s a lot of… hostility…in this post.

Here’s the “deal” when it comes to stuff like this…
What you personally view as right or wrong…is your opinion not a fact.
Because stuff like this doesn’t have one right way and one wrong way.
Because the “right way” is subjective and varies from person to person. And what makes it right or wrong based on so many things …the child, the parents, parents work schedule, and so many other things.

And the judgement against having a tutor for a 5 year old? Says way more about you than whoever you’re judging.
I can tell you…I tried to teach my son to write letters at 3/4. I tried everything. Apps. Dry erase. Paint. Magnets. Coloring books. Books. Songs.
It did not go well.
He didn’t care so he wouldn’t do it.
When he started Pre-K he watched other kids learning their letters and he did learn them.

1 Like

You never know he could end up being a genius from all the extra help. Some people are better then others in different subjects. Nothing wrong with extra help

Theres nothing wrong with having a tutor.

If it’s not YOUR child, but out.

4 Likes

A five year old should know how to play, how to respect elders, how to respond appropriately when asked to do something, how to express emotions, how to be a kid, how to jump in sprinklers, how to swim in lakes. Yes, the parents should have been teaching this stuff since birth. I don’t know if any tutors who focus on this stuff.

Reading, writing, maths, etc…I don’t expect any of this from my 5 year old…

3 Likes

Well, if they need it then I don’t see why not. Not all parents are teachers and some children need extra help even at 5.

2 Likes

Not every parent is a good teacher. If the child needs a better teacher than the parent can be then what’s the problem with getting a tutor?

5 Likes

my girls are 9 and 10 and the way this past school year went it was rough even for me as a mother i do work in a school not in a teacher catagory there dad who helps them with math in mornings before school starts which sucks at my end i also couldnt help my oldest i had to have a neighbor help her this is my younger ones older sister. there dad works a 2nd shif job so in mornings whatever i couldnt do he would help.if wasnt for him i might have probaly found way get a tutor.

Some parents just might not have the patience, know how or time to teach… hiring a tutor is a great idea in that case.

3 Likes

My 5 yr old went to kindergarten… they have pre k also. If not your child I’d stay in your lane.

That’s a hell of a way to put it.

1 Like

It should be about the 5 yo. Some kids take to learning from other people better than they do from their parents. Some kids want their parents to teach them everything. I would have hired a tutor for my boys if I could. Not so I wouldn’t have to teach them but to be sure they had a strong support system. To each their own.

If the parents aren’t knowledgeable on how to teach their 5 yo, I see no reason they can’t get a tutor… better to have an extra person that cares versus not doing anything to help

1 Like

Who cares if it’s not your child it’s not your business!! They obviously have a tutor because they have their child’s needs very high up in their priorities! But out

3 Likes

I’m sorry but this sounds very judgemental. I’m a very good parent but my son simply doesn’t learn from me with anything as he thinks I’m on his case with it and his walls immediately goes up. No matter how hard I try or do my son simply doesn’t learn well with me xxx

4 Likes

If the parents do not feel that they are capable of doing the teaching themselves, or are not in a position to do so then why not get a tutor if they can afford it?! Whatever it takes to provide the best educational foundation for the child in question! No one’s business but that familys! Anyone who is willing to PAY an educator to make sure thier child is well taught should be APPLAUDED instead of questioned why they themselves didn’t personally do the teaching! Not everyone is cut out to teach others just like not everyone is cut out to be an athlete or musician! Clap for these parents instead of questioning something that’s not your business in the first place!

Wow,not all parents can teach kids & some kids wont listen/take them as serious as they would a teacher.No need to be judgemental about it :roll_eyes: Not your child,not your business.

3 Likes

A five-year old doesn’t need a tutor. Read to and with them. Point out things when you go out, bake cakes and cookies to practice math skills. And please only use one hyphen in five-year old.

a tutor is cool. I did poorly in school and honestly past abcs and 123s I don’t feel comfortable teaching. I’m not super dumb but don’t ask me to do head math lol

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Should a 5 year old have a tutor? - Mamas Uncut

Honestly who cares. As long as the kid gets the help they need

8 Likes

If you feel like your child needs something you can’t provide then yes get it.
My kid needed speech therapy. So now she is "behind " I would love to have a tutor to help us catch up because I don’t know how to teach these things.

12 Likes

I don’t think its really a bad thing at all.

My 3 year old had a tutor he was behind and it helped him catch up. If you can afford it i think its a great thing for your child

2 Likes

Im a tutor and 3 of my students are 5 years old…

Some kids require more one on one time which isn’t always possible when you have a ton of kids to one teacher ratio. If he needs the help and as parents your help isnt working, then why not? Talk to his teacher about your concerns and maybe they can help or he may simply need an IEP for certain areas. No shame regardless

Why is this even a question? The child is getting the help they need. Mind your business.

8 Likes

I have thought about this for my daughter…she’s 6 and struggles a lot with reading and writing… been told it could be dyslexia and disgraphia… I struggle from dyslexia myself and disgraphia I got no idea what that is…I lack patience also…so for me to help her would probably make it worse…so I’m thinking tutor :grin: but going to talk to her class teacher also and see if that’s the right path for my little cherub…best of luck

1 Like

Sounds to me they are making the “effort” and “necessary sacrifices” for that child to be successful education wise…

4 Likes

Teach them what? I’m confused. My daughter is 5. What should we be teaching? I mean she knows regular stuff like letters, numbers, math. I am very confused.

Depends on the kid. Some kids progress faster. Unless the teacher or school recommends it I say No.

Doesn’t matter which one. As long as the kid is getting the help he/she needs.

6 Likes

It wouldn’t be about stepping up for me…its just im not a good teacher what so ever. Covid proved that lol so it would be a tutor for me

1 Like

Necessary sacrifices?

1 Like

Strong wording in that question :thinking:
Parents should do what is necessary for their Children and whether it’s a tutor or themselves - it’s No one else’s business.

5 Likes

If you hire a tutor, you are sacrificing your hard earned money. It’s none of anyone’s business how someone decides to patent their child.

7 Likes

Unless it’s YOUR child, it’s really not anyone’s business. Seems judgmental and bitchy​:woman_shrugging:t2::kissing_heart:

19 Likes

My 5 year old and 8 year old are both in tutoring it’s help so much because they are taught much better than what I can do

1 Like

I will say 2 of my children at times learn more from someone other than myself ! It is just how they are ! Everyone is different and there is no right or wrong way as long as they are learning !!! My other two children like that I will show them several different ways until they catch on but like I said my other two prefer someone helping them besides mom sometimes :blush:That is perfectly okay!!

1 Like

Man, if I had the money to get my kids a tutor (if they needed one) I would absolutely get them one. This pandemic shows much I’m in over my head when it comes to helping them with everything they learn at school. Plus it’s no ones damn business

5 Likes

If the parent puts in the effort to find a tutor for that child then they are handling the “necessary sacrifices”. You know how some people become teachers because they like it and are good at it? Other people suck at that and find other jobs, and that’s ok. Allowing a child to go without help if it was needed would be a problem. But if a parent helps on their own or finds someone else to do it, it doesn’t matter. What matters is that the child is getting the help they need.

9 Likes

Why do you care, not your child not your business.

2 Likes

Depends on the kid, the subject, and the parents.
Regardless the kid is learning something they’re struggling with and I’d say hiring a tutor IS the parents stepping up and doing what they need to make sure they’re child learns something 🤷

4 Likes

Hahaha yeah the parents… forever

My 4 year old had a tutor to get him prepared for school

If you can afford a tutor and find one that is great and can be a help to your child why not every kid needs lots of tools this is just another tool for learning.

1 Like

It really depends on what the child is struggling with my daughter can’t read and she’s 7 this is not BC I have not tried trust me I’ve tried literally everything you could think of turns out found out last year she has dyslexia so its much more then just learning to read she is going into first grade with a eip this year

Depends. On the child, your schedule, and so forth.

My husband is a tutor/ instructor. He has taught that age. He said it’s more serious if they struggle with reading. Did you know that in 3rd grade if children aren’t meeting reading curriculum they are likely to be in jail at some point in their lives.

5 Likes

If ur kids need the help why should it matter whether u do it or someone else does? My kid dont listen 2 me when I try teaching her anything. she has always learned best from someone else. I know I dont have the patience required 2 help teach my kid anything so most of the time homework alone is a struggle. They pick up on that stuff and these days they are requiring methods I didnt learn until high school or college by the 4th grade.

1 Like

If it’s your child do as you wish. If it is someone else’s child…mind your business!

2 Likes

Isn’t the goal for the child to learn? Unless it’s in an unsafe environment I don’t see why it would matter who was teaching it. I haven’t used one, but that doesn’t mean it’s not a great choice for people to have.

2 Likes

Let your babies play at that age.

4 Likes

Yes the parents but if they Choose not to at least they care enough to get the help

1 Like

5 years old, no way.

5 yr old first year of school huge milestone and they will be getting used to it, adapting to classroom , having a teacher, group activities etc will be alot for them and tiring. I dont think they necessary need a tutor yet, maybe chat to the teacher about things you are worried about and set a educational plan around it and areas your child is having troubles. But first year is also fun and exciting adding a tutor maybe too much.

1 Like

I mean, there’s nothing bad about educating your child. My son took 2 years of head start before 2 years of kindergarten and I’m glad he had all that extra education, it really did help and he’s a VERY smart 14 year old now.

1 Like