Should a child be punished for not sitting still during a movie?

I would dare my husband to bully or try and punish our 4yr old son for not sitting trough a movie he wasn’t entertained by. Like wth, he’s 4. Some things he loves to watch and others he doesn’t.

4 Likes

Wtf he’s only 4 years old, kids at that age don’t stay still, tell your hubby to stop being a drill sergeant…

2 Likes

wtf kind of bs is this…

3 Likes

Absolutely not. My 5 year olds first and only movie ever was when she was 2 and she slept 3/4 through :woman_shrugging: I can’t even sit through a whole movie thats why I hardly ever go to theaters I get restless

Wow your husband sounds like a douch

2 Likes

Yea it’s always a test run with kids that young and expressed no interest so he shouldn’t be at fault but explain to him there may not a next time for awhile till he thinks he can sit and enjoy a movie in a theater bc it’s not cheap.

You did the right thing. Why make him sit in there and ruin the movie for your husband and other son.

1 Like

Your husband is an ass! If a 4 year old is bored they will not sit still. Better to take them out of the situation than to irritate others in the theater!

The crime doesn’t fit the punishment.

2 Likes

My 4 year old can’t sit during a movie or a show … yet she has autism but still I don’t know a since 4 year old that can. Tell ur husband to grow the f up … he’s a child

2 Likes

Wow… What an ass… How are you with someone like that🤷 He always that abusive… I wouldn’t speak to his ass until he apologized to the kiddo.

he’s 4 should expect that to happen

1 Like

And how exactly would he intend on punishing him, have a private convo with him and ask him why he thinks that’s okay and give your perspective he may be mad at you for not siding with him but at the end of the day you are your child’s advocate too.

1 Like

No, he’s still a baby. Your husband needs a reality check. Do not punish that poor kid because he was doing what kids do.

3 Likes

But what does he mean “punished”? Spanked? Time out?

1 Like

My almost 4 year old didn’t sit still for a concert we went to and his ticket was $60. I was upset but I don’t think he needed punished…

1 Like

I mean he’s four and it was his first movie, forget the movie sucked, he wouldn’t have sat still either way. I wouldn’t “punish” him for that, he’s acting his age. I would maybe tell him next time they go and he doesn’t watch the movie there wont be movies (at the theater) for awhile.

What does your husband want you to do as far as the punishment goes? There are a ton of ways to go about that, and some of them aren’t the best.

Um no he shouldn’t be! Maybe your husband needs spanked and put in time out! What a jerk

3 Likes

Absolutely not!! I would never expect my 4 year old to sit through that boring ass movie.

You are not wrong in my opinion

Mmm no. I wouldn’t take any of my kids til I felt they were ready… but honestly I couldn’t even sit through that movie

No you’re not wrong. My son got bored during the movies at that age too

My dad took me to the black hole my mom said l played with seats the whole time! Lol kids can’t sit still for long

Movies are so hard for little ones. We would do an early movie to save money just in case we had to leave. Never did thought. I was extra also I would bring each kid their blanket and got their own popcorn. It’s to late now but did you try and get a refund some places are understanding and will give a refund or credit to you. I would tell your husband to grow up his tantrum is worse then the 4 year old being expected to sit still.

1 Like

Your husband sounds like a dick . Movies are long and that movie did suck . I’m almost 40 and couldn’t sit through the whole thing .

He’s 4 years old sheesh. No. He should not be freaking punished

1 Like

He is 4… just 4… they aren’t meant to sit completely still… and you took him out of the situation to burn off some energy …
I can’t figure out why he would thinks. Punishment is what needs to happen

1 Like

Nahhh, your husband needs to be punished for being an assh0le.

4 is way too young to expect to sit still for a movie especially one they don’t like. Your husband is being ridiculous and I wouldn’t punish my kid for that either in fact I would have never taken him there to begin with so I think that’s the mistake that was made. The dad should have just taken the 10 year old to see the movie. It’s really his fault for his outlandish expectations on a 4 year old.

2 Likes

No he’s 4 that’s normal. we found drive ins we’re easier at the younger ages we brought activities like coloring books or a few toys. Drive ins are fun with kids these ages :slight_smile:
He shouldn’t be punished

Educate your man :sweat_smile:
Sadly men are brought up harsher with punishments and beatings so just educate him

4 Likes

Umm he is 4 years old…not 40. What 4 year old sits thru a 2 hour movie?? Seriously…stand your ground. He is wrong not the child or you…but Husband definitely wrong.

Ur not in the wrong ! He doesn’t deserve to be punished

This is exactly :100: why iam the punisher in our house I birthed them and if they need punished I will do it sorry not sorry my hubby has never spanked any of our kids period neither have I they are good kids without it we talk about what happened and how to not allow it to happen again and it works for us dad is always at work anyway married to a workaholic so it has been on me anyways but for a 4 year old to be expected to sit still for 2 hours especially for something that isn’t grabbing his attention is wrong on so many levels and you need to speak to your husband about why he feels it so necessary to punish him now he is trying to punish you by not talking to you childish in my eyes sorry mama that your dealing with this but way to go protecting your son from unnecessary ridicule

He needs to calm down. It’s hard for any four year old to sit still through a movie

He’s way too young to be expected to sit still for a movie at age 4. Your husband needs to get a clue.

3 Likes

Nope, not in the wrong at all. Hubby needs to chill out. What 4 yr old can sit still that long? None that I’ve ever known including my own kiddos.

2 Likes

It’s your hubby’s fault for expecting him to sit still…stupid

2 Likes

you are not in the wrong. he need to take a class on what’s age appropriate behavior

1 Like

No you are a great Mother!

Your husband needs to be punished for thinking a 4 yr old will sit still anywhere.

6 Likes

Would be worse if he was whining and getting up the whole time. At least you were considerate enough to take him out of there and to someplace he liked

My son is almost 4 and have never been in a movie theatre.and he won’t be until he is at least 7 or 8 and can actually sit through a whole movie

What :open_mouth: no no no no. No. He’s 4. My 9 yr old does this he needs breaks during movies i take him out of the movie 2 or 3 times for about 5min each time we go get popcorn refills we go to the bathroom we go play a game at the arcade my son needs a breather and so do other kids sitting through a whole movie is hard for some people I do t think your husband understands that maybe he needs a time out :joy:

1 Like

No he’s 4! How can he expect a 4 year old to sit still for that amount of time my 4 year old was running around causing havoc I ended up taking him out in the end which is fair enough I was kind of expecting to anyway lol

No you’re not wrong, he should have just taken the 10year old. You can’t punish him for something after the fact he should have done it right then and there but for what reason not sitting still? He’s a kid, they have ants in there pants at that age. Maybe the dad’s the one who needs to be spanked so he won’t be so grumpy :joy::joy: lmao

2 Likes

Nah. It’s rare to see any 4 yr old sitting still in a movie lol. Especially with it being your 4 yr old’s first time, they aren’t gonna know what’s right from wrong at the theater. Your husband is just over reacting.

4 Likes

You did the right thing. You took him out so he would not disrupt everyone else. Good job

2 Likes

Yep as a mom very small children won’t have the ability to sit still which is completely natural they’re built to move and explore and question unless it’s a show that is age appropriate with lots of singalong etc. 100% NO reason to punish a child for being expected to act and understand what is beyond their mental and physical capacity.

3 Likes

I always told my kids dad don’t expect them to be adults he tried to take my son when he was little and I told him when he starts bugging he’s out because I’m not going to sit there and be mad at him for acting like a kid .

I mean definitely shouldn’t we all be punished and “gone in on” when we go do something new that’s supposed to be fun but we just don’t enjoy it :roll_eyes: especially something that we are not developmentally able to do yet ….

I work at a daycare and we bring the kids to movie days once a week during the summer for dollar theater shows. We have some 3 and 4yr olds that leave 2-3 times during the movie to go to the bathroom, but then some that sit still the entire time. My sons first time going definitely felt like a mistake to my husband and I :rofl: but totally expected. He is now 4 and this is his 3rd summer going to summer movie days and sits through the entire show. A sucker, little bag of popcorn and a booster seat to help prevent the seat bouncing works well. He’ll get there with more experience!

At least you took him out so he would not disturb the rest of the patrons

You’re fuckin kidding me, right?

What would them punishment be?? :woman_shrugging:t3:

Omg asshole much? He’s a baby! No you are not in the wrong

Your husband sounds like an ass

Nope. He’s 4. Don’t take a 4yr old to a movie unless they’re absolutely obsessed and will likely enjoy it

8 Likes

Your husband is an asshole. I wouldn’t let my husband punish our child.

Your husband is out of line.

5 Likes

If he watched 30 minutes or less the theatre will typically refund you. Either way, I don’t agree with being punished. He will hate going to the movies completely if he is forced.

3 Likes

Your husband is being super unreasonable. Let him be mad! You aren’t in the wrong at all

5 Likes

He sounds like an asshole. Buy him a cape :smile:

No you are definitely not in the wrong at all.

2 Likes

Thank god the 4 yr old has you for a mom…

He’s overreacting. The little guy is too young yet to be expected to sit quiet for that long.

2 Likes

I’m 37 and can’t sit still during a movie :rofl: tell your husband to chill the hell out. Your kid is 4! He was probably punished as a child for ridiculous things as most of us were. Break the toxic cycle.

3 Likes

Great job Mom. It definitely seems like you handled the situation appropriately. Hopefully you and your husband can come to terms on expectations for a 4yr old. Hugs.

1 Like

I’m 27 and I can’t even sit still for a whole movie :woman_facepalming:t3:

l get paid over $ 195 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $ 18277 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.
Go to This. https://dollarearningjob1020.pages.dev/

Young children do not have the ability and attention span to sit for long durations of time… Its basically like torture to them. No reason for your husband to be so determined to punish the 4 year old for not being able to sit still for almost 2 hours…

1 Like

He’s 4 how could anyone expect that a young child like that will sit through an entire movie you husband is an AH

He’s 4! 4 year olds have a hard time being still. I was lucky when my daughter was 3 she sat still during Toy Story 3.
At least you took the child out so he won’t disturb others. Other parents don’t do that. Your husband needs to be punished not the kid.

No he definitely should not be punished I have a 3 almost 4 year and I still won’t take him to the movies because of that reason why take him if you know he’s not gonna be still and quiet and then get mad at him :expressionless:

1 Like

4 year siting still??? Umm ok dude good luck

Your a good mom

2 Likes

I also have a 7yo will be 8 the 3rd and I’m just now able to take her to the movies we’re taking her to see the new Jurassic park movie and this will be her first time going to a theater because obviously she was loud and very hyper as a kid

Absolutely not! A 4 year old should not be expected to sit still during a movie.

He needs a chill pill

1 Like

Tell your husband to grow up ya he is an ass

Your husband is an idiot. Sorry. Tell him to shove it.

Punishment I would say no but maybe sit down and talk with him.
Sounds like a lesson learned for your husband, he is still to young for the movies.

1 Like

Omg, He is 4 years old! My daughter is 5 almost 6 and I still debate on taking her because she doesnt like to sit still and gets bored easily. He should know that he is young and that’s just how younger kids are. Not to mention, thinking about trying to force him to sit there causing disruption to the movie theater and stress on you…what you did would be what I would’ve done with my child. I think you made a good decision.

2 Likes

You are not wrong. It was risky anyway. He should have known that might happen

You are definitely not wrong. A 4 year old? I mean… come on… some adults can’t sit still if they are bored… they automatically get up and find something else to do? So why punish natural behavior!!! If it isn’t something important like a meeting or a test or something then I don’t see the issue? Especially if your son already expresses that he was not interested in the movie before even going… in my eyes he gave fair warning?? I think your husband needs to relax a little… let him be a kid. There is enough bullshit going on in the world right now…are we really in a hurry for them to grow up??

Ur husband sounds like a narcissist POS I be more worried about him and u guys future together before a poor innocent child that has a short attention span to sit at a movie theater

1 Like

Does your 4 year still through a whole movie at home? Definitely doesn’t deserve to be punished at all, you did the right thing taking him out and entertaining him another way so your husband and other son could watch the movie

1 Like

Absolutely NOT !!! Not child will sit more than 2 hours to watch a movie ( at least the most won’t) show him all this messages to see if some sence gets to him .

Before you take a small child to the theater I suggest to start practicing at home with movies day , you make popcorn, some drinks , lights out , and see if they enjoy it

A four year old won’t even sit still in the comfort of his house to watch a movie yet a dark loud movie theater.

Ummm your hubs sounds like my ex hubs… jerks.

1 Like

Your husband has some anger issues. This is not a huge deal and something that comes along with kiddos. I would be livid at his reaction.

1 Like

No. He’s too little to sit that long and it’s a sensory overload for some kids. Your husband is a jerk for assuming he’s going to be able to do a movie. Your kid is only 4 and he didn’t waste money. Your chose to waste money.

Steups. Hubby is acting like an @$$. Tell him I said so.

1 Like

Yikes on Several Bikes
Your husband should probably seek some help for his issues.
A 4 year old isn’t going to sit through any movie, boring or not. Their attention span just isn’t there yet.

1 Like

What does he mean by punish? No he’s a kid he shouldn’t be in trouble for it but I’m just curious…just like a talk to incase he goes again or in trouble?? I would have did the same thing you did honestly…my teens even got restless at the drivein this week because they didn’t like the movie its normal

He is a little guy no he shouldn’t be punished he caint be expected to sit the whole time and he may not even like that movie at all your hubby is wrong

2 Likes

Your husbands a douche, bet the 4 yr old doesn’t sit still through a movie at home and it wouldn’t surprise me that your husband has no knowledge of what he can and can’t do being 4

2 Likes

Hes only 4. I know my 4 year old won’t sit still for an entire movie so if it was a thought that it would be a “waste” of money to attempt it than I wouldn’t even bring her to try it. He shouldn’t be punished for being 4 and not sitting still for an over an hour long movie. 5 or 10 minutes, even 20 minutes, okay. But not for that long with something known to be uninteresting to him. That’s ridiculous.

1 Like

You are right. Your husband is wrong. Little kids are not designed to si

2 Likes

…The child is 4. 4 year Olds do NOT have an attention span for sitting for a hole ass movie. No, the only person who should be punished is him for flipping out over his own choice. Don’t let it slide, mama

He’s 4, I’ve never met a 4 year old who could sit still for hours, especially during a movie they didn’t like.

Your husband sounds weird if he’s mad that he can’t punish a 4 year old :face_vomiting:

7 Likes