Should all kids be forced to play sports?

You can’t force someone to like sports just like you can’t force someone to like anything else. Why don’t you find an activity the he would be interested in. Maybe some coding classes or something similar

2 Likes

My son was built for football and I always wanted him to play. Unfortunately he was more into video games than sports. I never insisted that he participate in things that did not interest him. Fast forward 20 years later and he is the top graphic designer at his company. Let them lead the way as you guide them.

2 Likes

I’ve 2 boys into their xbox and playstation and they said they want a job in that industry even have ideas for their own games etc so it can’t be all bad my oldest isn’t into sports but when he takes part he can be really good I’d never force my children into anything

Please don’t. As the art nerd in school that hated sports just don’t

Pokemon Go.
Problem solved

1 Like

You can’t force something on someone if they don’t like it! They will end up resenting you for for forcing them into something they didn’t want to do. My 9 year old daughter doesn’t like sports either and would rather play video games. She tried soccer when she was 5 and hated it. We ended up finding other extra curricular activities that she enjoys more like cooking classes, ceramics classes and even a class on how to make your own YouTube videos.

2 Likes

No. Do you wish to be forced into doing things that others think you should do? I hated sports, and do still to this day, and I was forced to try them. Videogames are awesome. I have a few gamers in my house, but I limit their time and have them play outside everyday to earn their games. But I wouldn’t ever force my kids to play a sport if they didn’t want to

2 Likes

Perhaps instead of forcing him to do something he clearly doesn’t like doing. Enforce and encourage the things he does love. He likes video games? What if he becomes an amazing coder and developer? What if he advances into technology rather than athleticism? I’ll never understand the parents that feel the need to “force” their kids to do something they want them to do, not what they want to do. That’s not being supportive.

1 Like

Sports aren’t for everyone. Forcing it or pretending like there is something wrong with not liking them will create issues.

If he loves video games maybe put him in a coding program or a club where kids play together. Really it’s about building teamwork and life/social skills… that happens a lot of different ways.

2 Likes

Don’t force it. It will only make him hate it more. He’s just not into sports and you’re just going to have to accept that. Let him play his video games but do put it on a time limit. I have a child that is electronically driven and that’s all he would do if I let him. Time limits work well with him.

1 Like

Welcome! Your children are not the same personality wise. Don’t force either, ghey’ll end up resenting you for it. Steer the gamer into another direction, possibly related to the video genre, where he can keep an interest, and hopefully Excell. Animation? Web design? Computer repair?

I wouldn’t force him to do sports but I wouldn’t allow him to sit on the game all day. Try and find other things he likes… like art or something

Don’t force the issue. I’d be finding/ asking him what other things he might be interested in. Like coding. Find something that he’s into, ( not sports) and see if there’s clubs, or classes for those thing’s.

Don’t force sports… Find something else he may be interested in. See if he would like to do an art or theater class, something creative maybe :slight_smile:

I don’t think they should be forced but encouraged them !

Personally I despise forcing children to participate in something they have no interest in. I grew up in various types of dance and there were so many girls that literally hated it and were in tears because their parents screamed at them and forced them to perform. Maybe put the game consoles away for a while and help him find something he’s passionate about? I thought about choosing something to put my daughter in but I want to wait until she finds something that interests her.

Don’t force the issue . Not all kids are athletic or meant to play sports

No way. My son isn’t sporty
He prefers science or computer clubs.

My daughter prefers video games too, She’s not competitive what so ever and is very shy. She plays hockey in the winter and soccer is the summer, More so for fun. We don’t “force” her, give her the choice of what she wants to do. And she always picks those two sports because really when they are young it doesn’t matter it’s for fun!
Last summer she chose not to play anything (covid stopped all sports anyways in my area) this summer she wanted soccer again “to meet friends”

I try to be a good example and I also am physically active and I work out a few times a week. Sports are not just about the sport. Sports teaches a lot of other life skills. Like Working together. Shows dedication to the team. Teaches commitment. And pushes kids physically. Which after hours in videos games most kids need some physical activity. It Teaches them the value of taking care of their body. Even teaches them how to fuel there body with good nutrients so they can push threw the physical part if sports. I refuse to let my kids sit around and do nothing All year long. Being in sport can also motivate kids to get better grades so they can play. Which in turn shows them how to manage there time between school work and play time.

A sport doesn’t always have to be a traditional sport. Try something new all the time. Anything from skateboards/hover boards to simply fishing. Anything outside and off that game is better

You should never force sports on your child. If they need exercise, starting walking and talking with them. Or, go out and do different activities play catch and volley ball. Do not force group activities.

3 Likes

No. Fine an activity he does like. There are kids who get paid to be gamers. Let him game. Mayne get him into stem camps and stuff instead

1 Like

Please do not force the kid. I always hated sports. You should encourage the idea of him maybe one day making his own video games or other coding stuff.

if he likes music he can be in the marching band. he doesn’t have to be in athletics if he chooses not to. FFA, band, chess club, some sort of video game club all teach the same qualities: Teamwork, honesty, respect, responsibility. so let him choose what he loves and don’t force anything

1 Like

Is there something else your child is interested in like playing an instrument or art?

No way… I mean by all means I’d at least limit the videogame time, but you shouldn’t try to force them into sports. I’d try finding other things he can try like building things or learning to garden. If you’re concerned about physical fitness, maybe try yoga, pilates, weightlifting, or something else he can do at home instead of on a field.

You don’t force it🤷‍♀️

1 Like

Never force anything on your child. Only builds resentments.

1 Like

Don’t force it. I wasn’t to into sports either. The more it was pushed the more I hated it. I still hate it.
Instead focus on finding ways for him to be active he actually enjoys. Maybe a walk or one of those video games where you have to do the dance moves. Figure out what he enjoys and go from there.

Never force anything I hated sports! It’s not for everyone

Try things that are non-competitive like boy scouts or horseback riding or karate

All kids need an activity but find what his is don’t force him to do something because that’s how u end up with a resentful child

Don’t force your kid the will only end up resenting you and feeling like you do not offer support

1 Like

Forced? That is a strong word that should give you pause to begin with

1 Like

No reason to force it. If they are not into it just let it be. If you force them into sports that they don’t like you are taking away their free time to find hobbies they actually do like. Ask him what he’d like to do, learn coding, take a karate class, art class, theatre etc. or maybe he likes his free time to be his and doesn’t want to join an activity. Sports are not a requirement for kids, plenty of other stuff to engage them and make them well rounded.

1 Like

No. Would you like to be forced to do something?:woman_shrugging:t2:

Get him into computer building. How to take apart game consoles and clean them. IT stuff. How video games are made.
Please, don’t force a kid tinto something they don’t want to do. I had a parent liel this and made us resent him … my older brother was like that, and he now has IT degrees
Video editing stuff and works for the biggest TV News station around us and makes good $.

3 Likes

You said forced…. No one should be forced to do anything!

I wouldn’t force them into sports. I would encourage hobbies but wouldn’t force it. Also video games in my opinion are fine so long as he understands time management and of course age appropriate games.

YOU DON’T!
This is honestly toxic parenting. Praising the older child, while alienating a child from something they enjoy while talking badly about it (children can’t separate the two, they think you’re calling them bad!) While forcing them to do something you want them to do, and complaining that they don’t enjoy it.

As an adult would you want to be forced to do a hobby you hated then reprimanded when you protested?

Children are people too, with feelings, likes and dislikes. You can either be supportive of them, or be prepared to be resented by them. This is your choice.

I say this as a coach and personal trainer. People will learn to hate exercise and movement when it’s combined with childhood resentments. Find something active that your child enjoys, like walking trails, bike riding, trampoline parks, rock climbing. If you keep associating movement with competitive sports, it will lead to a lifetime of negative feelings towards it.

Why would you force your child to do that? Each child is different and has their own personality. Just because your first enjoyed it means nothing. Just let him have his own personality and likes

1 Like

You can’t force them. If there not enjoying it whats the point? My son said he wanted to do boxing, I took him down he took one look at the hall and said he changed hes mind so we went home. My daughter is always very up for going to after school clubs but she dont stick to it, she’s done dancing, ballet, gymnastics, boxing, karatie, and she gave up with in a month with each one. Now she wants to do swimming :roll_eyes:

No each child is different

You dont. encourage arts and watch him glow

1 Like

No. Some kids aren’t interested in athletics.
I’d see if there’s a hobby/club you could sign him up for that he’d be interested in. 4H, cub scouts, fishing, theatre, etc.
This allows him to get out with other kiddos, away from a screen. And also helps him get involved with something that he’s interested in

Why would you force sports on them… also video games are a good social activity for kids not to mention if they are good at them they can make a pretty decent living doing it even more than some athletes :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Not if they’re horrible at it! Seriously, if you push an unathletic kid into sports the best outcome is they’ll resent you and the worst is they’ll get seriously hurt or hurt someone else.

Get him into coding. Embrace what he likes. He shouldn’t be forced into anything

2 Likes

Would you like to be forced to run 20 miles every morning? To join an activity you’re not interested in? To eat something you don’t like? No. Children are humans, and deserve to be treated as such.

1 Like

You’re kidding right?? Don’t force a kid to play sports. Jesus. Find out what HIS interests are.

4 Likes

You wanna force ur child to do sumtn he doesn’t like… and u should know that all kids not the same… if he likes games… why not helping build that platform instead. you already said a wrong word… “FORCE”

You don’t force them. Do you do things against your will that you don’t enjoy doing? Our jobs as parents is to help our children be their best! Not force them to be who we want them to be.

1 Like

Maybe sports isn’t his thing! Let his do a activity that he’s interested in that will make a difference.

My husband is a professional video game streamer, we do limit our children’s time on video games and they need out side play time as well, I wouldn’t force it just encourage

I would hate you if you was my parent god nos how you’re kid feels😩

1 Like

Whatever you force, he will resent you for. Disciplinarian things are a given, no negotiable, but THEIR interests are THEIR own. They like games? Ask what genre, which titles they like best, why they like it, what their favorite thing to do is in them. Get them cool peripherals for gifts (RGB matching mouse, keyboard, and headset!) Or items about their favorite games.
See if they’d be interested in learning how to build games i.e. IT but videogames. Thats a lucrative career path too!
Never force your interests on your kids, let them bloom into their own soul and just nurture it.

they should have to atleast try each one once incase they find something that thry love…if not then move on to something else…piano, art, building etc

1 Like

Just because your eldest is into that does not mean your youngest will you can’t force it and there is nothing wrong with him liking gaming find things he enjoys not what your oldest does

1 Like

Yes. My kids will play sports at least once. They won’t know if they like it if they don’t try it.

3 Likes

Don’t :roll_eyes: u just don’t.

You don’t force them you give them options and if they don’t choose you choose for them.

Not every kid is a “sport kid” - get over it. Just because your oldest is into sports does not mean your youngest will be - you can’t expect all of your children to be the same; they’re going to have different personalities and interests whether you like it or not. If you try to force him, you’re going to make him resent you.

Dont force the issue. Offer several sport options and of he bites then that’s one thing but if he doesnt encourage him with what he does like and enjoy. You dont want him to hate playing a sport of he doesnt want to

Don’t force but make sure and introduce to him at least once or twice. He might be a more subtle soul but he still needs exercise. Don’t just let him sit there and get fat playing video games

Mine are not sports kids. I did however say they had to pick something to be in. Mine chose band. Both are great at it

1 Like

Kids are their own people who should choose their own hobbies.

No… my.son is almost 12. I never forced him to do any sports. He tried martial arts, didnt care for it… has never had any interest in sports. He really likes swimming and diving so maybe when he is in high school he will get into that… but I dont like the idea of forcing kids to do things they dont enjoy

Do not freaking force anything on kids, not every kid is an athlete.

1 Like

Offer a club of some sort like Computer club of available. Kids don’t thrive on being forced to do something. They thrive on doing what they love- just like adults.

1 Like

Well first off as a parent you should NEVER FORCE your child into something they have no interest in. Its your job as a parent to accept that and start taking an interest in the things he wants to do. If you continue to force this he’s going to HATE and RESENT you. Second of all the fact you seem to think your son not wanting to do sports as an issue is super messed up. It’s in no way shape or form an issue simply for him to have different interests than you and his siblings :roll_eyes: grow up mama and start accepting that your son is an individual with his own interests.

Forcing things on anyone let alone your child is going to do way more harm than it would ever do good.

Maybe try art or music? My oldest doesn’t like sports, my middle does.

Forcing him will probably have the opposite effect of what you want, some people are just not sports people :woman_shrugging:t2:

Find something he is actually interested in. Try different things.

Absolutely not!! Some kids just don’t like sports. Would you want to be forced to do something that you don’t like??

We’ve been through 5 sports and can’t find one my 8 year old enjoys. He came forward and said he wants to try archery, I don’t care what activity he chooses, music, art, sports etc he just has to do something.

I did encourage sports and other extracurricular activities. I also encouraged community service. Universities want well-rounded students and so do people and schools giving out scholarships.

Don’t force the issue. Wtf.

If you force it he’ll resent you and he’ll resent the sport

1 Like

Mine gravitate to video games but has to do something extra curricular each semester…school or community sports or clubs, tutoring, working a job (he’s 16 now) or volunteering at least 2 hours a week. He chooses and can switch it up after 3 weeks if he finds he really doesn’t like something.

Would you like to be forced into something? Not everyone is athletic, nor are they comfortable in those situations. Maybe they’d rather be in a club or other type of activity.

Wow. I can hardly stand this page anymore. Such petty issues.

1 Like

Sounds like he’s into video games… my son is like this so I signed him up for programs to make video games and he does testing… we go swimming every night to stay active

1 Like

My son is the same way so we got him into coding classes and he is really enjoying it. He is an active kid with hiking, swimming, playing outside but he isn’t into sports

1 Like

Coming from a sports mom, don’t force, let the child decide. Pick something that interests him. Sure, encourage extracurriculars, scouts, YMCA, robotics, library, church, something other than just video games. Not all kids are into sports and that’s okay.

1 Like

No he can other passions

Encourage hobbies find soy he enjoys karate boys outs etc but don’t force & sports aren’t for everyone

Never force them!

My husband wasn’t in anything growing up. Did nothing but play grand theft auto.

He’s now a Forman at an oil refinery . Super detailed oriented. And very smart, follow direction well. Works great with others :woman_shrugging:t2:.

Everything sports teach you for qualities my husband has ( except patience :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:)

You don’t force the issue. He is an individual. Sports are not the only type of activity kids can do.

Never force a kid to play sports

I never forced mine, 2 were into sports, 2 were into gaming. They are all almost adults now and amazing kids. 1 is wiring with me, full time up to 65 hours a week making great money, 1 is working and getting ready for college, 1 is going to be a senior and excited to work with me and one is a junior and working as a well. None smoke, do drugs , hang with a rowdy crowd, stay out all night, back talk, etc.

You don’t force the issue.

Never force it. My son played sports for a while, but grew out of it. Sometimes I would feel like an outcast because my son wasn’t interested, but at the end of the day I don’t care what others think. I encourage my son to pursue HIS interests, not the ones some people think he should have.

1 Like

What a stupid question of course not. Let someone else raise your kids.

2 Likes

I make mine play 1 year of each sport they dont like it then they dont play anymore

Never force them, I let my girls try out etc at school but If they not interested I wouldn’t force them. Find something he enjoys He may like programming etc.

This is your second post about this. If he’s so “blah” and unenthusiastic let him do what he wants to do instead of trying to spoon-feed him shit

I wouldn’t force the issue. Not everyone is interested in sports and that’s fine. Try to find something he’s interested in and that he can enjoy.

1 Like

All kids are different and support his strengths not force his weaknesses… if computers is what his interested in get software programming apps for them :ok_hand:

2 Likes