Should an 8-year-old play outside on their own?

My kids play outside on there own only in my yard I have a 10 and 13 and a 3 year old I am outside with the 3 year old

No… he is 8! Back yard yes but down the road where you can not see him? Nope. your just asking for trouble. Doesn’t matter if it’s a small town and everyone knows everyone. He is a child and should have an adult with him of he is leaving your property where you or your partner can not see him . Just my opinion.

5 Likes

No. Can’t trust people
He’s to young

1 Like

Too many crazy people out there snatching up kids be aware kids need supervision. Especially 8 yrs old these days

Nooo, it’s not like how it was when we were kids

Let him do it once as a treat and maybe that’s how he can gain your trust :woman_shrugging:t2: . I recommend walkie talkies

Nope. My daughter is 12 and I still wouldn’t allow her to go to a park walking distance, without me. The world has changed tbh. Too many sickos.

2 Likes

I live in a apt complex so I let all my kids go outside my 4 year old doesn’t go outside my 14,13,5,7,9,10 goes outside and they stay together

1 Like

I wouldn’t let my 10 year old go by hisself past our yard. I need to be able to glance out and lay eyes on him.

1 Like

No way!! Am I the only one who watches the news?! Don’t let him out of your sight and especially do not send him to a public park alone!! He has his whole life to discover who he is, but YOU are responsible for making sure he makes it to adulthood safely. FOLLOW YOUR MOTHERS INSTINCT

7 Likes

I’m sorry but in this 2022 world I would never let my child go anywhere I can’t see them. My son is 11 and I go outside with him to watch him. You can never be too careful anymore. I always keep an eye on my kids weather their playing with friends, family and etc. I’m sorry nowadays you can’t anyone around you’re kids and it scares me

3 Likes

My mum when I was that age would say stay round the area and be home before it’s dark. We was clever enough to all stay together and only get up to kids things like building dens etc. if I wasn’t in site my mum would shout my name from the front door also then if I didn’t reply then she’d go to my friends houses so see if they knew😂

Nope. Too much going on for him to be outside by himself with no one watching him. Kids coming up missing left and right

Big NO . This world sucks butt !!

I used to play outside alone from 8+ in the 90s/2000s

However. I watch WAY too much SVU and murder shows and there is no way I will let my kid play outside anywhere outside of a gated yard.

Nope no and to hell with that crap my Daugher is 14 and still don’t like her going out without her friends I trust noone with my kids

Nope. 7 alarm fire because of lack of eyes.

Definitely don’t let him go alone to a park

3 Likes

How the world is now I wouldn’t be letting him at this age. It’s not just him you can’t trust it’s everyone else, there are a lot of sick and horrible people out there

2 Likes

If in backyard yes, in front no the world is to crazy

3 Likes

Nope ! Not in the wold we live in now

1 Like

If he’s got a phone yes

If this was even 20 years ago I would say yes, but TODAY absolutely not.

2 Likes

I have 7 sons it goes in maturity I think. Our 8 year old is a bit of a liar and can be fully irresponsible as soon as we are out of sight a day doesn’t listen to older siblings in the house. So he’s not aloud out of our property unless with a adult. As for my other 3 sons have been able to go up to our local school since around the same age keeping in mind they do have 2 to 3 older siblings… 2 of my other sons are just to young and my oldest son couldn’t be trusted until he was about 11 lol… so I think you are fully right follow your intuition. We live in Auckland. But we are lucky in the sense there school is I street away and every parent knows each other’s kids. One thing my kids do understand they have to be where they say they are going to be and I will turn up at anytime to make sure of that. If they leave they have to come home first and ask

I did but we weren’t as naive as kids today!

Is this evem a question ??? Do u not know how many kid r been kidnapped this day… its not about trusting him… its a dangerous world out there … thats a hell no from me

2 Likes

The only place I let my 7 year old play outside by her self is outside in my fenced in yard. If they are riding bikes either myself of my older child needs to be outside with her. I also live in a small town where my nextdoor neighbor is my little brother

2 Likes

Should definitely have a buddy and not be alone. Depending on where you live also. Myself their are to many nut jobs out there . I would not let my child out alone unless I had a very safe yard and neighborhood

1 Like

In my state it’s age 10

It’s not about him being mature enough, it’s about all the creeps and bad people who prey on our babies! Our streets and parks are no longer safe. I don’t let my kids go to the park alone. Only in our fenced in yard and most of the time my husband and I are with them

3 Likes

No I woukd never let him go

2 Likes

No way not outside the yard

Nope. Too many predators & bullies in the world.

Not in this day and age. I have a 7 year old and I could never let him go to the park alone. I don’t care how close it is. I have to have my eyes on him at all times. And I’m not sorry for it because you can never be to careful.

1 Like

Your partner is out of control!!! I can’t even

1 Like

I agree with you. We don’t live in the same world we grew up in. Thanks to the internet and parents that don’t monitor their kids, even young kids can be predators for many things.

3 Likes

This day and age, I would have to say no. And it’s not just a matter of whether or not you can trust your son. There are just too many predators around these days who frequent parks looking for lone children and they’ll make off with one in a heartbeat. I hate it that it’s like this nowadays. When I grew up years ago in the country, I was turned loose early to explore the woods and down by the creek. I played with my dog and the cats. Rode my bike. Rode my pony. There just wasn’t anyone around back then. All the neighbors knew each other and there were no strangers hanging around. It was safe back then. But it sure isn’t now. My daughter Googled the location of sex offenders in her neighborhood before letting her two young boys out. You couldn’t see her house on her street for all the big red dots that exploded in her general area. She makes her boys stay together and within earshot of their own front yard. And she has to be on the front porch if they want to be outside. It’s really scary.

Any parent willing to let their child walk off by themselves without being able to see them are clearly nuts ! This is not 20+ years ago , this world is scary for adults let alone kids ! I have a 12 year old who I won’t let go anywhere by himself … Around my house or to a friends house with adults not a park where freaks come around . So no , your right! Don’t let him go.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t let my 8 year old get on and off the bus alone let alone go to a park…just me

1 Like

It’s really up to you. Maybe let him go and check on him after a few minutes and keep an eye on him until you feel comfortable.

A 8 Year old one should not be playing outside without supervision

1 Like

No he is old enough to play in your yard but not going down the road

3 Likes

Nope…He is to small and people are crazy.

1 Like

if he’s not mature enough then absolutely not.

NO your not… u cannot trust anyone these days…

3 Likes

In the yard yes. If he goes to the park follow behind him and keep an eye on him.

4 Likes

Depends on the neighborhood in my opinion. We currently live in a city, and the fully fenced backyard is the only place the kids can play outside without an adult present. We’re about to move to a small rural town in a small planned community. My almost 9 year old will be able to just let me know she’s going to play outside, and run out the front door.

1 Like

remind him of all the missing indigenous children

Maybe in 1994. Not now

4 Likes

No I wouldn’t let my 8 year old go alone. Not if the Park is no where in sight. If it was where you could see him then that’s different. Why is your partner even ask about that unless he’s the child’s father ?

1 Like

Follow your gut, you know your kid

I went down the street at that age but that 35 yrs ago. I didnt let my kids outta the yard at that age

1 Like

Not in this day and age…

3 Likes

l get paid over $ 164 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $ 15686 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Go to This. https://workincomepro1.pages.dev/

I barley even let my almost 7 year old go out and play with his friends on the side of our houses without someone out there, lol.

In the backyard, yes. Alone at the park, not until middle school. And even then, not alone, but with friends.

4 Likes

It’s already hard enough because this world is not what it was even 10 years ago. And while I don’t believe in fear/caution holding us back- I think it’s Especially not a good idea if you don’t think he’s mature enough. AND 8 is still very young.

6 Likes

I say no. He still needs supervision.

2 Likes

You’re the mom. You know if he’s ready or not. Don’t let your partner push you into a decision you don’t agree with. This is your child’s safety. Your partner just wants alone time & is trying to force you into making a choice you’re not ok with. Your son is more important than your partner.

1 Like

depends…where u live…how mature they are…there’s 13 year olds who shouldn’t be outside alone :woman_shrugging:t5::woman_shrugging:t5:

2 Likes

Mmm no my son is 9 he ain’t going no we’re down the park without In a adult . Unless I can see him from my house if it’s in front on the park he knows if he’s scared come back home running

As a mother of 3 I would never allow my eight-year-old to go off on their own. My children are older now but when they were that age most definitely not.  I don’t trust this world that we live in. To many predators out there. 

1 Like

Not on your best day to many weird people these days

1 Like

He is too young and people have gotten way to mean

1 Like

I say too young still. I personally wouldn’t let either of my 8 years old go.

I would let him play in the yard or others friends yards but not down the street at a park without adult supervision

1 Like

No, you are correct. I wouldn’t let him go alone.

2 Likes

According to DCFS standards children aren’t legally able to be home alone until age 12. So I would say no

1 Like

If you don’t trust him and don’t feel he’s mature enough then please do not let him go. I remember as a kid being able to go to the park by myself, but I was always with other kids and things are a lot worse now than it was when I was a kid. My daughter is almost 12 and she still isn’t allowed to go anywhere without an adult.

1 Like

Nope. My 8 year old isn’t even allowed in the backyard alone. There’s way too much foot traffic (as well as actual traffic), for me to feel comfortable with that.

My kids are 11 and 8 and I damn sure don’t let them go outside by themselves

Why can’t you get a bike for all of you and ride to the park
Allow him to play with friends, while you and partner sit on a blanket

With friends or alone?
Depends on the area you live in.
I wouldn’t let mine go if I can’t see them or there isn’t an adult.

1 Like

No way! In the yard yes

1 Like

Honestly I feel 8 is fine if they know not to talk to strangers the world hasn’t changed its just more showing and being exposed

1 Like

Absolutely not. Child killers everywhere. Noooo nooooo noooooooo

1 Like

No you are not overprotective! Regardless of maturity he is still a little guy. Needs supervision at a park. Rules set up to keep him safe and everyone in the house agreeing to them. He will be a teen soon enough.

1 Like

I wanna say I wasn’t allowed at the park even with friends until I was about 9 or 10. Old enough to know not to get in strangers cars. But my house was half a Block from the park and I could hear my mom calling me from 3 streets away. So I know she’d hear me screaming if I ever needed her lol

Back yard yeah if fenced in or you can see him from a door or window as far as going to the park alone no he is still to little and needs adult supervision he can easily get kidnapped

1 Like

This mom of 4 boys says he’s definitely too young. Listen to your motherly intuition.

1 Like

I live in a quieter neighborhood where the only traffic is the residents. My 8 year old is just now being allowed to go play with his friends outside in their yard or mine. He knows not to go past certain points and not to go into anyones house, even his friends. But, he’s earned it and knows the dos and donts, not all kids are the same, everyone is different.

No, he is to young. And with all the crazies out there you need to protect him. You can walk with him and sit there while he plays.

1 Like

In today’s world and society I wouldn’t. My oldest is 18yrs old and I still want to know where she is at. My youngest is 9 yrs old. I still go with her to the park and store

No you are not it’s to much going on now to let him out of your sight moms always have good intuition about this follow your heart if you don’t feel good about letting him go to the park don’t he’ll be okay and explain to him why he can’t go got to be careful in the world we live in now

2 Likes

Nope, too young. Regardless of his maturity level, he’s still a little dude & the world is no longer safe.

2 Likes

Nope. There are a lot of crazy people out there in the world! I live on a relatively busy street and my 12 year old doesn’t go outside much by himself unless my dog is outside with him.

When we were kids yes. But now a days no.

1 Like

He’s a little young. Why can’t you go with him until you scope things out?

1 Like

Wait till he’s older

Playing outside in your yard is one thing, but going down the road to the park by himself is another. I wouldn’t let him go to the park by himself. Too many child predators out there. It’s not the same as when I was a child.

No your not over protective and could actually be charged with neglect for kids under 12 left unattended in some states
And your partner is an idiot‼️

1 Like

10 is the minimum for unsupervised playdates

No! Too many evil people out there!!

Absolutely NOT. Too many crazies in this world.

1 Like

Absolutely not. I rarely let my 8 and 10 year olds go in our front yard alone. Let alone down the street, what the heck

3 Likes

No you are not ,it is not like it used to be, to many kids being stole

No no no :-1: he’s too little we love in different times you can’t trust anyone anymore and I’m not saying don’t let him play outside but with someone watching him so many things can go wrong I’m sorry call me overprotective but I rather be overprotective then be sorry if anything ever happened to my child just my opinion

My 6 year old plays outside alone. And with her 2 year old brother. But only where I can see them from our door if I’m not out there.

No I’ll let my daughter walk to her friends house a few houses down the street from ours but absolutely not they are only allowed to play in front or back yard. Even then I watch either outside til she’s there or on the door bell cam

No, he is not old enough. In fact he is the perfect age to be abducted by a trafficker.