Should babies sleep on their stomach?

Belly Sleeping? My 7 month loves to sleep on her belly if not straight on her face. Scares the crap out of me. So many mixed reviews. Guess I’m just wondering if any other mamas little ones sleep like this and how do you cope?

12 Likes

At 7 months she is plenty old enough to sleep on her belly.

1 Like

If she can turn her head side to side she will be fine… my son was 3 months old when he started sleeping on his belly but he also knew how to move his head side to side… he is 3 now and still sleeps on his belly

1 Like

My son has slept like that since he could roll over. He’s now over 2. For me there was no use fighting it. Just checked on him throughout the night. I still usually wake up once to check on him. If that’s most comfortable for them you can’t really change it.

1 Like

Check to make sure she’s ok when you notice it but if she’s rolling onto her stomach, that is how she is comfortable. She should be fine. Don’t let her lay directly on her face though. If you notice that she is, try to turn her face to the side carefully.

1 Like

Can she turn over on her own?
If so then I guess it’s fine?
They make monitors for breathing and stuff (we have the Snuza and freakin love it)
They also make things so baby can’t turn over as well. We just use a long blanket and roll it up and shape it around baby so while she is swaddled she can’t flip to her side or tummy

1 Like

By 7 months she likely can roll back to front and front to back so she is old enough to sleep how shes comfy.

1 Like

Mine preferred to belly sleep. Don’t fight it.

1 Like

My 7 month old sleeps the same way! Sometimes I freak and move her but she will just move back. :woman_shrugging:t4: I’ve learned she will Re situate if she is uncomfortable

2 Likes

My 3 month old keeps rolling onto his side to sleep. Scares me cause he can’t roll onto his back from his tummy yet. If your baby is able to easily roll from tummy to back, she should be fine.

1 Like

At that point shes fine. Let the baby sleep

1 Like

If she can roll then she’s fine. They ate constantly changing the the recommendations so I just do what I want as a parent. The hospital where I had my son even let him sleep in his crib on his stomach with a blanket so thats what I did until we had to have him start sleeping straight up in his car seat cuz of his acid reflux

1 Like

Just make sure her head is turn slightly just enough to have nose uncovered but so she can be how she’s comfy I do this every night with my daughter

1 Like

If she can roll over then she’s fine…just don’t put blankets or other sorts plush things in her bed…

1 Like

Keep a close eye on her just seen where another mommy in a different group lost her baby because she rolled over while everyone was sleeping and passed away :sob:

I agree with Ginny. All of my 3 children slept on their stomach. Just check periodically and turn her head a little.

1 Like

She can roll front to back and vise versa, I’m a first time mom so it just scares me. Thanks for all the comments. I surely appreciate it!

If babies can successfully lift their heads up when on their belly and roll over, they should be fine to sleep on their belly :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

If you’re worried, consider getting a monitor that will alert you if she stops breathing. My son had an AngelCare monitor and I slept much better knowing it would wake me up if needed.

1 Like

My son has slept like that since 3 months old. Hes 2 now. I didnt give him a blanket until he was a little older.

1 Like

My two month old perfers to sleep on her belly. I find nothing wrong with it since she’s able to lift and turn her head side to side. I only let her do it during the day at first as I kept a close watch on her to see if she could turn her head and now its been a week of just belly sleeping and she’s doing great. I’ve tried just laying her on her back and she wakes herself up within a few mins.

Both of mine slept on their belly

My little guy has always slept better on his tummy.
If your babe is rolling over, you can’t stop it, just make sure she’s as safe as possible.

2 Likes

My 7 month old does too & it freaks me out! Idk what to do except check on her all the time lol

When my girls were babies in the 70’s the doctor told us to put them on their stomach they’re fine

As long as they can roll themselves it’s fine. If you want to take extra precaution put a fan in babys room. Having a fan in the room reduces the risk of SIDS by 72%!!

Once upon a Time… THAT was the rule of thumb .we were to keep them on their bellies,was a choking thing.BUT…that only recently changed.i still put my grandson on his belly.
What works best for you and YOUR baby is up to you.

All 5 of mine slept in their bellies but also slept in my room for the first 6 months. They slept better that way and I didn’t have to worry about them spitting up in the night and choking on it, just make sure there is nothing other than their blanket in the bed so nothing is near their face. I’m a light sleeper and would check them many times in the night to check that they hasn’t turned their heads but I still do that even as my youngest is 3 so that never changes for me.