Should boys have their ears pierced?

My 8 year old boy asked if he could get ears pierced for his birthday…i want to take him to do it but his dad ( not together) is very against boys getting ears done because its “girls only”…my heart is breakin as he really wants to do this but i dont want his dad trying to take them out…what should i do

54 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Should boys have their ears pierced?

I would do it if he wants it done. Dad can suck it up

Do what you feel comfortable With. Dad’s don’t always know best. If your son wants it and consents. Do it. Chances are he’ll do what my youngest son did. Love them a few months. Take them out and holes close up. No such thing as girls only piercing. Let him be mad. Be the hero to your child.

3 Likes

I would get him the fake earrings so he can wear them at home.

I know all kinds of boys and men that wear their ears pierced in many ways for many reasons. Your ex is being VERY sexist, and he’s not that far from being homophobic depending on where he takes his stance. He needs to grow up.

3 Likes

Not sure what to do but I just had my daughters done about 2 months ago. She’s 10. Two little boys went ahead of her. It’s not for girls only. It’s not like he can’t take them out if there’s ever a time he doesn’t want them anymore. My husband had his done as a kid. He took them out during his teenage years.

2 Likes

Support your son now since he wont
Your son will remember that simple act of support when it comes to bigger issues

5 Likes

Boys can have them too. My 7 year old mentioned he may want to get his ears pierced last year. Now that I’m taking his 3 month old sister to have her’s done, he said he definitely does want it. So I will be getting them both done the same day. If he wants them done, let him have them :woman_shrugging:t2:

Its not only for girls alot of boys have it done

My boys all have em done. Once they were old enough to make the choice they asked

Everyone is going to have input to what you do with your child. I am the step mother to two beautiful young girls my oldest before her 13th wanted her ears pierced for second time. We told her no for months, mom said she wanted them done at a Claire’s in the mall after talking with her she adamantly said no no no I want them done professionally . A few months later we got them done at a professional tattoo shop. Mom was adamantly upset saying she never gave permission. All I’m saying is you are as much a parent as your ex is. Discuss pros and cons and pros and cons of him saying no and you saying yes.

2 Likes

Well his dad sounds hideous

5 Likes

Its your child’s body, he isn’t trying to cause himself harm so why you wouldn’t do as he has asked . It’s not your husbands body .

My boy had his ear pierced at a young age nothing wrong with it. My ex husband and I took him together.
He doesn’t wear earring today (24), but if he did I’d be perfectly fine with it.

1 Like

My 14 year son has his ears done, I made him wait until he was 13 and took him to a tattoo shop, he’s now 14.5 years old and he gaged his ears.

It is just as common for boys, so, yes, I would do it.

2 Likes

Too young to make that decision

8 Likes

My husband has his ears pierced. He wears earrings more than I do

3 Likes

Do it… Your boy is only little for a short while… Make him happy and be the best mumma ever… My boys all have theirs done, it’s very common these days…

1 Like

My son begged for his for months. He is 5, almost 6. I let him get them and he loves them.

2 Likes

Didn’t read past the title. Boys can have their ears pierced just like girls. Don’t put your gender stereotypes on your kid please.

4 Likes

Boys can have theirs pierced. Many have had there’s done. There’s nothing “girly” about it.

3 Likes

My kids ALL have theirs done. He is 8 and he asked … they’re his ears :woman_shrugging:t3: not his father’s. Many boys have their ears pierced and they’re definitely straight as well so it is not just a girl thing.

3 Likes

I would get them done anyways! It will not cause any harm to your child and dad will get over it eventually.

2 Likes

Took our son to get his for his 8th birthday because he wanted it for years and his school allowed it :woman_shrugging:t2: I wouldn’t care what dad thought but that’s your choice if it’s worth the fight for
You

I wouldn’t let my boys (especially at 8)

4 Likes

My son has one side done. I don’t think it’s a girls only rule.

My boys have their ears pierced, my oldest (21) got his done when he was 6 after weeks of begging and my 15 yr old has his done too. Nothing wrong with it

If he spends a lot of time at his father’s house, then it might be better to wait until he’s older. It really sucks when parents impose these outdated gender roles on their kids, but it could be traumatic for him if he’s forced to take them out.

4 Likes

Sit down, and have an adult conversation between adults about bodily autonomy.

We paint our 10 yr old boys nails who cares! Get he’s ears pierced he will be so happy

2 Likes

U can. But also check school regulations. Tell dad 2get up n smell da coffee. According 2hindu rights a male child gets his ears pierced during an initiation before 10yrs. Moguls have their ears pierced. When you get his ear pierced be careful what sort of earrings u use.

1 Like

My son got his pierced for his 8th birthday… but unfortunately a lot of people are just as stupid as your kids dad and he gets poked fun at all the time. I think he looks adorable

1 Like

Tips on getting them done!!!

Claire’s and Walmart are not the place. Find a piercing shop! Yes, they charge significantly more. BUT, the piercing turns out much much nicer, heals up better, and drastically decreases the chances of infection (if the shop is sanitary). Do your research, take your time. Ask as many questions as you need, if they get rude for asking questions then find someone else. Make sure they know your son is a minor, but will be accompanied by his parent. I can add several links to articles and videos explaining why actual hollow piercing needles are safer than piercing g*ns

If old enough to ask then why not? I wouldn’t force it upon him(I knew a mother who got her son’s ear pierced under two) just the same as a girl. (I have four girls and I waited for them to ask so far only two but they are 13 and 11… my three yr old started to ask cause my 13 yr old has nifty ones (as her dad calls them teacher ear rings like frogs and bananas and ect) but I think the piercing shop said 5yrs old around here so we are waiting… and to see if she keeps talking about it a little longer. (other girl is only 6m old) I think my girls were 6 and 8 or 5 and 7 I can’t remember now.

Oh please, most of the men I know have now removed them, and can’t understand why they did it in the first place.

8 years old is too young in my opinion

2 Likes

For everyone saying 8 is too young it would be nice to give an ACTUAL reason seeing how most girls get theirs done as infants

3 Likes

My husband and I had ours done the 1st one was when I was in the airforce 43 yrs ago but I think 8 is little young

1 Like

If they want. Who cares. My boys at 6 will be allowed to decide for themselves as I was. Same if I had daughters.

1 Like

I personally wouldn’t get it done on my son and I don’t like them on boys BUT! If he reallly wants it done let him do it , If he doesn’t like it he could always take it out :slightly_smiling_face: it’s not ‘just for girls’

2 Likes

Explain to the boy he can do it later when he can pay for it in his own.

As long as it’s not against any school rules why not? It’s a lil hole in the ear lobe.
Plenty of people get their BABIES ears pierced. Just make sure to find a reputable tattoo and piercing shop for the piercing. That way you know he’s getting the correct piercing method, completely clean and sanitary, and hypoallergenic jewelery as well.
That piercing gun is the devil itself, not sanitary and the people using it on your kid have had no more training than aim and pull. It’s essentially a earlobe hole punch, gross

1 Like

Ask him if she was a girl would it be different?

I made my son wait until his 11th birthday. He started asking at 9. I wanted him to be a bit older so he would be better able to take care of them. He loves them, they’re adorable. My ex said the same crap. They’re my sons ears, so it’s his choice. The whole notion of some things are for girls and some are for boys is stupid.

2 Likes

My son wanted them… so we took him. He was 6… now 7. He loves them. He wanted them because his nino (my brother) has them. He thought only girls had them. Was excited when he found out boys can too

1 Like

Anyway. Take him to get his ears pierced and let dad have his opinion. Your son is his own person and he wants them pierced, your support will never be forgotten and he will trust you more too

3 Likes

My eldest has one of his done, I mind when I was at highschool all the boys had one :woman_shrugging:t2: l don’t see the issue

1 Like

When kids fight the ear ring is an easy target… that said controlling every thing is not what matters. Let the boy be free to express himself as himself some. If not with earrings then what? And when?

Idk how it makes him girly… like high heels were for men first… sooooo?

2 Likes

Times are different. Boys wear earrings just like girls. If you don’t have a problem with it then I would definitely have it done.

Get them done, if his dad has a “it’s a thing” problem then it’s exactly that HIS problem not you or you sons who has asked

1 Like

The oldest example we currently have of someone with their ears pierced is a man known as “Otzi the Iceman”, over 5,000 years old. To say ear piercings are only for girls is laughable. :smile:

4 Likes

I’d probably wait til he is 10-12 or so. Even with girls. They take care of them better the older they are but don’t see anything wrong with it at all.

2 Likes

I really do not see the issue even though I do think that he is too little.
I personally will discuss it further with his dad , think if you would like his dad to agree to do something that you have already been opposed to

1 Like

My oldest was 20 he had his earrings for 5 days then took them out because he hated them so I’m not going to say never but make sure this is truly what he wants

My son’s ears are pierced. :woman_shrugging:

Both my boys have. Youngest closed up. Oldest 15 occasionally wears something. Best time is 6 week hol then he’ll be able take it out for pe when back to school.

1 Like

Do you do both or one and which side my son wants his done too but his dad’s side is against me getting it done and he’s my son

Do it. Make sure he knows how to take care of then and all that. But he can do it. As somebody who works with little kiddos I say they can do it to. I have boys that want to wear dresses and they love them almost more so than my girls sometimes.

1 Like

My son got his ears pierced :woman_shrugging: he’s 14. I see a lot of teenage boys ears pierced. My sons dad had his ears pierced before and after we met. I don’t see the problem and the problem I do see is your husband sexist ways saying “only girls get their ears pierced”

2 Likes

My son is 6 and has his ears pierced. He is so handsome it is so not a girls thing.

2 Likes

We call it ‘tokkie’ in the netherlands’ look it up at Google, you can find an explanation if english.

My boys are not allowed to Pierce there ears as long as they live in My house

6 Likes

There are heaps of guys that have their ears pierced. I always believe in the ‘their body they can do what they want’ (within age reason).

Your son is old enough to ask so it depends then if he is mature enough to look after the pierced sight, clean it as instructed and look after the earrings.

For both of my kids it will be when they are 10 (depending on if they are mature enough to look after the piercing, follow cleaning instructions and look after the earrings) for their ears and 16+ for anything else to be pierced.

2 Likes

My son for both ears done then removed one and wears one only … done at about 8 years old 10 now …

You , father and the boy need to have a talk and agreement

1 Like

My 4 year old boy has one side done. My 5 year old daughter had got her pierced first after nagging me for months, so I let her. I would never force it. By boy decided a few weeks later he wanted one like his sister, so he did.

You have to think about who you are co parenting with. There may be a time when you don’t want something for your son and how would you feel if his father did it anyway. I would tell his father to explain why he can’t have it since he’s the one saying no.

7 Likes

Pfft. It’s not girls only. If he wants them done then go for it :woman_shrugging:t4: as long as he won’t change his mind and knows how much care they come with

My little 7 year old went in 3 times to has his ear pierced chicken out every time, the fourth time he was brave, tell ur husband to stop being a sexist pig x

Let the boy live his best life because as a adult you can’t do what you want. I hid my tattoos for years & kept my hair a natural color by force.

1 Like

I mean, your ex is wrong about it being a girls thing. But I honestly wouldn’t do it unless you’re all on board. It’s just a piercing. Not the end the world. Your son won’t die without it.

2 Likes

It’s very common for boys to have them pierced now. My to be step son has them and he looks cute!

1 Like

If dad says no and you are co-parenting, I wouldn’t do it because dad could take them out and piercing them would have been for nothing. Let your son know once he is 18 if he still wants it done you will take him for his 18th bday. (At that point dad can do nothing about it)

3 Likes

My daughter was 6 turning 7when she got hers done and can look after them ect
My son is 4 and not asked but if he was to ask I would wait till he s a bit older as he isn’t mature enough so it goes by maturity and if he is able to look after them and clean them ect rather than sex for me as your son’s dad is sexist tbh
My son plays with his sister’s toys all the time he has a girl doll he loves and a pink flashing sensory ball he loves and likes the colour pink and purple do I care no
Should others care if girls like boys things boys like girls
Nope
So I’d say do it when he is mature enough and responsible enough to look after the piercing

I’am making over $160 an hour working online with 2 kids at home. I never thought I’d be able to do it but my best friend earns over $ 18421 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The potential with this is endless

Chk This—>> https://SuperIncome206.pages.dev/

My 12 year old boy got his ears pierced for his 7th birthday. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Boys don’t to wear earrings I’m with your husband in@, they don’t look look on boys

9 Likes

After being fired from my old job 8 months ago, I’ve had luck to learn about this great company online that was a lifesaver for me. They offer online home-based work. My last month payment after working with them for 4 months was $14996… Great thing about it was that only requirement for the job is basic typing and reliable internet.

Go to This… https://JobsCareer146.pages.dev

Take him, dad gets an opinion because he’s dad but at the end of the day it’s just an opinion because he didn’t birth him :woman_shrugging:t2: (also his opinion is :poop: lol) the ONLY real advice is DONT go to Claire’s or the Mall, please use a professional (and idc who that bothers :innocent: I don’t need a hundred survivors in my comments lmfao they still suck.)

My 6 year old son just asked for his done, but his father and I are against it right now, in a couple of years if he still wants to get them , we will talk more about it then

3 Likes

Be honest with the kid tell him u will take him but more then likely his dad will make him take it out or tel him his dad Dosent approve of it
Since u think he’s old enough to decide to then he’s old enough to know

2 Likes

8 may be a little young :woman_shrugging:t3:
My son has been asking for one for 5yrs……. He got one at 16.
He is a smart and good kid. As parents, we need to pick our battle and if this is the worst he can do, then I am blessed.

2 Likes

Don’t make it a battle between you and his Dad. If you go against his Dad on this, your Son may think he can play you off against each other. Tell your Son you have discussed it and for now it is ‘No’, but will reconsider when he is older.

5 Likes

I would tell your son that right now you’re not going to do it because his father doesn’t like the idea and you are trying to co-parent. If your son is old enough to ask for that, he’s old enough to talk to his dad about it himself. Going against the other parent causes so much unwanted drama for kids, aren’t they the ones that matter

7 Likes

I wouldn’t set my kid up to be abused by the other parent. If you’re going to keep exposing him to a bigot, you might want to wait until he is old enough to stand up for himself.

I’am making over $160 an hour working online with 2 kids at home. I never thought I’d be able to do it but my best friend earns over $ 18421 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The potential with this is endless

Chk This—>> https://SuperIncome275.pages.dev/

If my kids wanted thier ears pierced then that’s what would happen. Why do people feel the need to put gender on things when in fact it don’t like ears they don’t have a gender clothes don’t have a gender toys,make up, colors all that stuff don’t have genders but people always say this is for a boy or that’s for a girl it’s stupid. I would tell my ex that it’s not his choice that our son wanted it done you shouldn’t stop him from doing something just because the other parent is close minded or don’t like it

4 Likes

If he was a girl, this wouldn’t even be an issue. I feel bad for your son, hopefully you will stand up to his dad. Everyone saying don’t do it now, it could set him up for abuse, then make it perfectly clear that he will not be taking them out and daddyO can suck a big one :ok_hand:

Whatever your stance, both parents must agree on any body modification of a minor child, especially if the parents are not together.

Personally, I think 8 is a bit young to make these kind of decisions.

But neither parent should unilaterally make a decision about their child without the agreement of the other parent.

1 Like

I just took my 11yr old in January for his birthday and got his done his been wanting it but I told him he had to wait until he was old enough to care for them himself

How would you feel if this situation was vice versa. The details don’t really matter. If you told dad no, and he did it anyways… what would happen? How would you feel? This is more than ear piercing, it is a co-parenting issue. Going behind dads back, is 100% not the way to effectively co-parent. Dad will do the same thing next time you disagree. Then you have a tip for tap battle on your hands.

4 Likes

My husband has 2 in his right ear, my cousin’s son has both his done. It’s not a “girls thing”

1 Like

I got mine done this year. Cost $65 & got infected. Had to take it out and the hole closed. $$$

Maybe put it off to reduce fights with your ex but talk to him about it. Maybe he would agree in the future.

2 Likes

If he is responsible enough to properly clean and care for them, let him. Sooo many boys/men have their ears pierced. It’s not specific to one gender.

2 Likes

Yes they do it Will be fine my 12 ur old asked and I took him.its not a thing anymore like it used to be if he wants it then take him.

Both parents should support it, or he has to wait. That’s honest and fair. Kids want to do lots of things when their young that they just can’t. I wanted a tattoo when I was ten. Obviously my mom told me no. I lived. He will too. One of the hardships of parenting is telling your kids no, even when it’s hard. Try your best to explain, and they will understand when they’re older. He may regret it later, doing something stupid to himself now. That’s why parents have the say. And even if you don’t think it’s a big deal, your husband’s opinion matters if you want to be a strong parent team. Maybe try talking to your husband more, but he may just have to wait. He will be fine.

6 Likes

Get him some clip on earrings he can wear at your house and take out at dads.

1 Like

Lol " girls only " bet he thinks boys can’t wear makeup or dye their hair or wear pink either ?
If the kid wants it, let him get it. My older boys have one ear done. My husband has three on BOTH ears, three in his lip, three in his eyebrow and a stretched septum. Piercings are for everyone. Don’t make your kid feel bad for wanting to do something they like.

3 Likes

Put it off until he hits his teenage years and then revisit the idea.

2 Likes