Should I ask for a raise?

Hi, I would like an anonymous post. I recently started being a nanny for a couple. They have three kids. A boy that’s 4, a girl 2, and a baby boy that’s seven months old. The oldest two go to daycare, so I was hired for the baby. When I was hired, I was asked about light housekeeping, such as helping her get caught up on laundry, which is no problem. However, I have noticed that there are days I come in and have all three kids. I am finding that I am responsible for breakfast and lunch, all the laundry in the house, cleaning the bathrooms, taking out the trash, cleaning dishes from the night before( they will eat and leave them on the table). If they receive packages, they will tear open the packages and leave the packing strewn all over the floor for me to pick up. I really like the kids and the parents, but should I bring this to their attention or ask for a raise? I work six days a week, 8.5 hours a day.

91 Likes

Ask for a raise if your doing more than agreed upon

7 Likes

Um yes!!! Absolutely. You should be getting paid at least double if not triple since you are doing triple the amount of work agr Ed upon

2 Likes

No raise… but talk to them and write out what was agreed to and then write what you are actually doing… see what is said…

3 Likes

You need a set amount for example 20 a kid plus 10 each additional a day, 5 dollars a meal and 5 a room/chore not exactly those numbers but you get the idea

Depends how much you make.
Some people really have it good but want more becoming unreasonable

1 Like

Yes…they are taking advantage of you!

3 Likes

Yes, your doing more than what you agreed to. The more you do without saying anything the more they will except. Been there. You need to say something. ASAP

Depends on how much you make. If they were paying me well…I wouldn’t ask for a raise. However,if getting paid like just taking care of a baby and doing laundry …then yes. I would sit them down and talk it over. Tell them you agreed to watch the baby and do laundry,but not constantly be cleaning up after everyone all the time. Sounds like they kind of take advantage if not even tossing trash in the trash anymore…

Yes! Get your money. They aren’t embarrassed leaving a mess, don’t be embarrassed asking for fair wages.

6 Likes

Sounds like they are taking advantage of you and they know it, probably waiting to see how much you’ll put up with for free. Once you let someone disrespect you it only snowballs from there, you deserve to be paid for your extra duties.

2 Likes

Yes you are doing more

Some one is taking advantage of your hospitality, money talks .

1 Like

I employ a nanny. Your location and current rate of pay would be helpful to know to give you the best advice here, but if you’re being paid market rate or lower for the original job description, then yes, ask for a raise. But also know that these parents will try to take advantage of you at every turn. Set your clear boundaries and expectations. And question every single thing that is outside your job description (i.e. watching the extra two kids).

9 Likes

So you are the maid?

1 Like

It’s hard to say without knowing how much ur making and what area u are in (different rates)

1 Like

I’m 32… and I helped babysit a 1 year old boy and his toddler brother sometimes… from 7am to dark and I would only get $10. :flushed::flushed:. I was around 20-21… which is crazy now I think about it.
Even then when I thought about it, it would just make me mad. But I loved those babies like they were my own. I would definitely ask them to sit down and have a good conversation with you. Cause you do deserve a raise.

They are taking advantage of you! You definitely need to ask for a raise…

5 Likes

Stop doing it and tell them you need more money if your watching all three kids especially if they want you to clean

1 Like

Absolutely! You’ve become the “mom”! They’re taking advantage of you.

I was a nanny for 12 years… you were hired for one child and light housekeeping. Since there is significantly more work, you absolutely deserve a raise. Tell them that given the job has required more than “light” housekeeping now, you would either like a raise, or if they choose, they can omit the housework and keep your wages the same.

4 Likes

I make 150/day to clean 3bdrms, 2 1/2 baths house, it’s an 8-10hr day typically.

Yep!
You are doing more then you were asked when hired, you are also taking on the other 2 most days you get there. I’d be asking for more an hr, if they say no then stick to what was agreed with at the time you were hired.

Of course u have to! Its not fair for you to get paid a little and doing a lot

2 Likes

Start a price list of what everything costs? How much per kid, how much for dishes, cleaning the bathroom etc. Price per job maybe?

2 Likes

Most definitely. Sounds like theyre taking advantage of you

6 Likes

I have three kids those exact ages and boy/girl mix. For a minute I wondered if I had a nanny lol. But I wouldn’t even expect you to clean up my house for messes the kids made while you were watching them, much less messes made while you weren’t even there. Leave them girl and come nanny for us!!
Jk I’m not much help but you definitely deserve a raise.

5 Likes

U only do what u get payed 4 deff dont do whats not in ur job discripion n if questioned theirs ur open space to mention what uv just qustioned

1 Like

They are taking advantage of you, I’d ask for a raise

5 Likes

Keep a diary / list of things you do as you do them and then discuss this with them. Don’t do extra work for free, it’s the fastest way to get used.

7 Likes

Ab-so-freakn-lutely hun :exploding_head:

If they don’t ask you to clean it don’t they can be sloppy and clean up after themselves

Definitely more work more pay

They are taking advantage of you demand a raise and give them a separate bill for your cleaning services

1 Like

They are definitely taking advantage of you. I would absolutely ask for a raise or kindly say you don’t want to spend your whole time cleaning up from their previous messes and current messes plus take care of 3 kiddos. It’s just not fair unless you’re getting a very good wage already. Good luck! :blush:

Heck yes! You are there to babysit the baby. Don’t clean unless you agreed upon certain responsibilities when you first started. I would bring it up to them in a polite manner that you have noticed you are taking care of all 3 children & what your rates are. Tell them you also charge for cleaning. & they’re free trial is OVER. Babysitting and cleaning are two different duties & you should charge. They are very inconsiderate if they haven’t even given you a little extra, knowing that they are throwing more responsibilities your way.

1 Like

Depends what you’re making now, but you were hired to care for one baby so I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that you’re not making a whole ton of money.
If you’re having to be their chef, maid, and nanny then yes you most certainly should ask for a raise. Especially if you’re needing to clean bathrooms and they want to act like utter slobs, expecting you to just do it all.

1 Like

Me personally would mention job has increased in chores and extra kids so pay should reflect this. Or if laundry and jobs are stopping you paying attention to kids. Leave their mess to them for when they get home.

2 Likes

I definitely would sit down and re go over your terms and if they want more done then yes ask for a raise and explain why.

39 Likes

Yeah they are taking advantage of you .

38 Likes

If your pay was based on just the baby and light housework then yes you absolutely should. They are taking advantage of you.

37 Likes

I’d suggest something written and signed so they can’t take advantage as easily.

21 Likes

Definitely have a sit down and revaluate the terms and conditions of your contract. They’re taking advantage.

6 Likes

Yea they taking ur kindness to far. Have everything written out on wat they want you to do. Cause rite now ur a nanny n a maid

2 Likes

Yes, please ask for more money. In all honesty who just leaves packaging and plates laying around? If you have to babysit the whole house, you deserve much more than what you are getting.

10 Likes

Ugh no. This is why you need to get everything in writing! Those are not light housekeeping duties. They are completely taking advantage of you. They cant be dumb enough to think paying you the same for 3 kids instead of one…they’re seeing what they can get away with…Figure out what your willing to do for what they are paying you now. Let them know that anything above that has to be compensated and DEFINITELY any days you have more than one kid you expect to be compensated. They want a.FULL ON MAID AND NANNY. Then they need to pay for one…and they ain’t cheap. Not for 3 kids.

4 Likes

Yes! It will only get worse

Absolutely. Do not let them take advantage of you. If your initial pay was for your time watching the baby and light housekeeping but now you have the older children more often than not and more housekeeping to care for then you certainly deserve a raise. I would write down what I wanted to discuss, so as to address every issue without forgetting one, then request a meeting and go over your points and payment requirement.

1 Like

Yes & if they don’t understand how they are taking advantage of you, make it clear to them that you will only do what you were hired to do.

1 Like

I would def sit down with them and ask for a raise. They are taking advantage of you. They hired you for light house keeping and taking care of the baby. If they want you to do more work than that deserves more pay.

You are getting taken advantage of.
You need to sit down and talk to them and remind them that you were hired to just care for the baby and done light laundry and tell them what you have ended up doing. Ask them to please stick to the original agreement or you may need to find work elsewhere.
Taking care of a child is enough work… without being made to be a maid, cook, or anything else they expect you to do for free.

3 Likes

How much is the pay??

1 Like

Definitely and have a written contract laying out what specific services you provide for the set price you’re currently charging - then an upgraded package deal for all of the additions that you’re currently doing for free. Do this ASAP - sooner rather than later because the longer you leave it, the more awkward it gets to ask

6 Likes

Yes. I used to nanny and left my last job because of stuff like this. I didn’t have to do much around the house as they had a housekeeper but I never knew what my schedule would be like. I was mainly supposed to be responsible for the youngest, and their niece would be there on Fridays. I walked in my first day to all 3 kids, their niece, and one of the kids had a friend over. I should have known. There were weeks where I had the niece EVERY day. I made the mistake of not saying anything, and it just progressively got worse. I would get it worked out now so you know if it’s worth it!

My nanny family had a written out contract for both of us to go over before I even started working and we both signed.
I still babysit for them occasionally even though I’m no longer their nanny. They were amazing and so professional about it all.

Definitely need to talk to them!

Honestly you doing three different jobs babysitting ,housekeeper, and cleaning lady !!! Ask for money !!!

2 Likes

I was a nanny for 3 kids for a yr contract. I had to do what your doing plus alot more i got paid decent. I took care of kids house cooking outings drs appt. Youve got to communicate with family

How much are you getting paid?

Oh girl. I’d tell them you want a raise or I’d be quitting

2 Likes

I think it’s important to sit down and discuss the expectations vs. the reality. If they aren’t willing to have this conversation walk away.

2 Likes

Definitely ask for a raise.

Yes and if they don’t give it, bounce.

1 Like

Just seeing after the kids would be enough for me that’s a lot to handle

1 Like

Always ask for what you want because if you don’t you will never get ahead

1 Like

Sounds like they need a maid and not a nanny ! Have a talk with them and if that don’t work,start looking for another nanny job !

4 Likes

If the care of the 2 extra kids was not included and discussed prior to you accepting the job then you need to have a conversation with your boss/bosses and explain how you feel.
Don’t keep it to yourself as you’re going to build resentment and probably would start neglecting the job.
Childcare is not an easy job to price, but it’s one of the most demanding ones out there.
Good luck!

Oh heck no, they are taking advantage of you. Stick up for yourself, and get the pay you deserve!

6 Likes

Oh honey they are taking advantage of you. Get a contract outlining your duties or find another family.

7 Likes

That’s called exploitation!

1 Like

You’re not just the nanny but the housekeeper too. Get your money!

2 Likes

If you were hired to nanny 1 child and do LIGHT housekeeping, they’re definitely taking advantage of the situation. I’d definitely be having a chat with them, sooner rather than later. Know your worth.

4 Likes

If you were hired for one baby and housekeeping, that’s your job. More responsibility (the extra kids) require more pay.

4 Likes

Yes. They are taken complete advantage of you. Get your raise or get a job that will pay you for what you are actually really doing. Not double or triple what you are being paid for!

2 Likes

Absolutely. I’d list out what you’ve been doing and point out that’s not what you were hired for. If they want to argue you don’t have to, ask them specifically what you should be doing. Then based off that still ask for a raise cause I bet it’s more than you were initially hired for.

2 Likes

First off do you have a contract read it see your job description and then approach them…if none off the cleaning picking up after them is stated then no its not your job too do so .
Also do they ask you too clean that mess ir do you just feel the need to do it .
Once we start doing stuff not in our job description it becomes noticed abx them expect off us so don’t if its not your job

4 Likes

If your doing things that u didn’t discuss then I think you should bring it up.

2 Likes

Sounds like they are taking full advantage of you. I would address it gently and state that you are happy to meet their needs but need to be compensated accordingly.

3 Likes

How much do they pay you now? You should be paid for every hour per child and you need to be sure you are keeping track. Make a log with dates, times and kids so you have record of who you have, how long and how often you have them. Also include what chores you did that day. Then you need to tell them you wish to be paid fairly for the work you do and have a price point in mind when you ask for the meeting. Be prepared that they may be unwilling to pay more. In which case, you should quit.

I’ve nannied for over a decade and people more often than I’d like would try to take advantage of my kindness and work ethic because they knew I loved the kids. You are their most precious asset as you care for their children. Don’t forget your worth.

3 Likes

I would just quit!!! Understand that wasn’t your question. Just don’t like people taking advantage of others.

2 Likes

Sounds like they are taking advantage and asking for more money won’t stop that. They’ll likely pile on more responsibility with that raise. I’d quit.

4 Likes

Just do minimal pick up. Talk to to them . Stand ur ground. If they want more tell them you need to. E compensated, that u like them but that is a lot to expect.

3 Likes

Ask them, without sounding rude, or ungrateful, what they expect of you. Get it in writing. Then agree on a pay. In writing. && Stick to the contract. If they ever want you to do more or have more then one kid, re-negotiate… I have have been a nanny before, they might not feel like they are taking advantage… Need to be on the same page.

1 Like

They are taking complete advantage of you hon. I hope they are paying you well.

2 Likes

Without a doubt… definitely advise having a talk about money and job duties… they are downright using you for way more than what you were hired to do… tell them to start paying up or clean their pigsty themselves… sounds like they are users…

They’d have to find another nanny. I’d quit. That is not what you hired me for and if that’s what you’re looking for you NEED to make that known. This is disrespectful and they are definitely taking advantage of the situation. Just because you pay someone to clean your house doesn’t mean you can just trash the place and leave it for them to clean up. Disgraceful

2 Likes

Girl, absolutely!! This is not at all what you agreed to! I’m a career paralegal. My suggestion would be, take the ORIGINAL ad, when you speak to them. I would also say, you ARE NOT ASKING FOR A RAISE. It’s 2 very different things. You are asking to be paid the difference between the job you’re currently performing, and the job you were originally hired for. Asking for a raise, is acknowledging that you are CURRENTLY performing the tasks you were HIRED for, and would like a pay increase, due to your performance of those tasks! Please protect yourself and word everything properly, honey. People seem wonderful!!..right up until they realize they can’t take total advantage of you!

23 Likes

Yes don’t do what you were asked. Leave the rest. If they say something,then tell them you want a raise :woman_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

Well it depends r u getting paid 8$ an hour or 20 an hour

1 Like

I would pull her aside to go over your original agreement. Then state that since her expectations and the work load have increased exponentially your pay rate needs to be renegotiated. Remind her in a professional manner that you are not their maid.(Get everything in writing). Also be clear about what is included in your services.

7 Likes

Discuss and get it all in writing. They can take advantage only if you let them.

1 Like

I get it when I was in my teens babysitting for extra money the lady I babysat for did the same thing I did it for awhile and I quit they are taking advantage of you

2 Likes

This is what happened to me a few years back while I was doing au Pair. I was supposed to look after the 22m old baby, and there was a 10yr old ADHD boy. I asked about him but they told me not to worry he can do his own things. That wasn’t the case. I had to take care of both kids and do the dishes at night after the cleaner had left.

They boy was terrible and I didn’t get paid to look after him. They would shop everyday but it became a problem when I had to get paid. So I left them. They struggled after that. But it comes with taking good people for a joke

2 Likes

Reevaluate your pay for sure

2 Likes

I thinknit depends on how much the are paying you and what they expect. Drawn-out clear line of what you are responding for and how much you expect to be paid.

I’d quit. They are taking advantage of you & I find that very disrespectful. They should have the decency to clean up after them selves (the packages etc) - I’m a nanny myself & would NEVER put up with that.

4 Likes

Remind them you are nanny, not a housekeeper.

3 Likes

If you can set up a salary contract, do it! Make sure you add what your duties are and actually have to do! The money goes up per child! She’s taking advantage of you with making you clean up THEIR house!

3 Likes

I believe it’s called mission creep. If you’re in the house and they are paying you by the hour, they can feel like you should be busy all the time. Don’t let them guilt you. Have a discussion, write down what you understood your job to be for what salary, then a list of what you are doing. If it’s on paper it’s easier for them to see, if need be take photos of what you’re doing that’s not on the agreed-upon list. Mother of three who wished she had a helper.

6 Likes

Seems to me that they wanted a HOUSEKEEPER

2 Likes

My understanding is that a nanny is there to care for their assigned children and help with their needs. AKA the baby and it’s shit. You should not be washing daddy’s boxers or taking care of another kid.
Say something.
The weather is getting nice.
Next week you’ll be mowing the lawn with a baby strapped to your chest and a couple toddlers chasing you.

21 Likes