Should I ask for a raise?

I looked after my grandchildren, same general ages. I overstepped my boundaries with my own daughter by doing anything beyond what she asked for. Politely talk to the parents, and ask if the agreement has changed. If so, clear expectations need to be changed and documented. Honestly, I was taking away from parts of my daughters home life, and feeling unappreciated. Don’t do that to yourself, or your employer. If she or he are too tired to literally pick up the pieces, renegotiate. Clearly.

1 Like

I would definitely bring it up with the parents and let them know you are doing more than agree upon and ask for a raise if not than I’d quit

2 Likes

Bring it up and talk politely about it, be open and tell what u are being paid for initially and explain u are doing more and that u do house keeping too, not only taking care of 1 infant, ask if the agreement changed and remind them what u are being paid for. Say something, the quieter u are the more u will have to do

Do they ask you to clean up the mess? If they dont ask you to do it then leave it. If they do ask you id say I absolutely will but since it’s not what I was hired to do am I getting paid more for this? If they say no id say ok then I’m not going to do that unfortunately. I have no issues doing more but I’m working so I expect a pay increase when more work is required. Id just be super upfront. And id seriously leave it if they didnt ask you to do more. As for the other children id say the sane thing. Unless your pay was discussed for the other children as well. I know some people say occasionally my other children will be here and id need you to watch them as well… Just talk to them.

2 Likes

A contract need to done. A list of things you are required to do including which kids you are to care for and a pay rate that you and the family can agree upon. Once that is done I would recommend not doing anymore then what’s in your contract because people get comfortable with you doing those things and they become lazy and dependent on you doing it and this sounds like this is what’s happening with you. So yes ask for a rise and explain why you are asking. If they so no then you should find another job or cut back on services being provided.

3 Likes

I was a nanny for a 9 year old one summer and agreed to help him with his reading as well each day. I made our lunch and cleaned up. Then the dad wanted me to vacuum the whole apartment, which I did, but when he told me to do all their ironing as well, I QUIT!!

2 Likes

Are you a housekeeper or a nanny? Seems to me like they’re taking advantage of the free maid services.

21 Likes

I would bring it to their attention but I would also quit because they do not respect you if that is how they treat you. All of that was not in your agreement when hired. You were hired fot care for the children not to be a maid.

10 Likes

I say make a contract and stick to it…you are not required to do more than what is agreed upon. Sounds like your doing more and getting paid less. Definately have a discussion and set distinct duties.

22 Likes

Girl you better ask for a raise you sound like the housekeeper too! People will take advantage of you! Speak up if you really like the kids, i would!

1 Like

Did they tell you to do these things or you just do and they dont say anything?? Bc you are now more than a nanny. You are a maid as well. Remind them of the original agreement and ask if they cant stick to that, for a raise.

6 Likes

That’s housekeeping on top of child care for 3 kids not easy.

5 Likes

Yes, you absolutely should ask for a raise! That or they send the 2 kids back to daycare and stop being slobs because this isn’t what was agreed upon! They’re definitely taking advantage of you and that’s just sad!

7 Likes

As others have said, your question makes it sound like you take it upon yourself to clean the table and stuff. I would ask for less responsibility or a pay raise to do extra work if you don’t mind the extra work. If they refuse either option, and you still keep working for them, ignore the messes on their table. Ignore the piled up laundry. Ignore any messes that were already in the home lol or just quit. Not your job to clean up after people like that. Doesn’t matter if they are paying you🤷🏽‍♀️

If you like what your doing and are happy 100% ask for a pay rise if your doing extra and more then you should be

3 Likes

Yes and there is a big pay différence vetween nanny and housekeeper is two différant jobs

Thats why i always request for a job description in writing when employers request for a nanny , helper or caregiver.

We are helping many women get jobs but they cannot be taken for granted just because one is desperate.

I am quite strict with job description and no of working hours.

Quite a number exploit their helps.

Please tell them that you would like a written job description. And then based on that discuss on what you are willing to do.

1 Like

Have a meeting and do what you are paid for. Asking for a raise will see the house work over shadowing what you are there to do which is the kids. If nothing changes then quit.

It depends how much they’re paying you if they pay you good then do some other work but if they don’t pay you two could bring it to their attention

You need clarification of your duties. Job description should be written down in detail and signed by all parties involved. The pay rate should be included. Should anything outside of the contract be requested than extra pay should be granted…DO NOT ALLOW ANYONE TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF YOU…I DON’T CARE HOW MUCH YOU LIKE THEM…

9 Likes

They are taking advantage of you. Time to start looking for another job. Even a contract did not go well for me. They kept wanting more and more from me and was not paying me when agreed. They were a month behind b4 i had enough of a unplanned 16 hour day. I was never paid for that month of hard work.

2 Likes

I’m a Nanny and have been for 20+ years. I have always had long term positions. I’ve been with my current family for 6 years now and I can say YES you absolutely should speak with them about what you do and what was agreed upon. I will tell you I have 3 nanny kids. 8, 4, & 3. My responsibilities are solely the kids. I don’t take out the garbage, I don’t clean up dinner dishes, I don’t clean up after my employers & the only laundry I do is the kids. I’m not responsible for anything that goes on, once I’m off at 5:00, so cleaning up messes from the night before is not my responsibility and my employer NEVER leaves anything for me. There are things I do just because, but never has it then become my job. You’re being taken advantage of and the longer you let it go on the worse it will become. As I said, my duties are solely around the kids. You need to talk with them and let them know what you’re willing to do fir what you’re currently being paid. If they want more, they should pay you accordingly.

7 Likes

This is business handle it like business, sit down and have a talk and ask for a raise or less responsibly

If you’re doing more than what was agreed on originally when pt was first discussed then I would ask for a raise

I guess it really depends on how much you are actually being forced to do (not what you have just willingly been doing without being asked) and how much you are already getting paid. Cuz it sounds like you take it upon yourself to clean their bathrooms and take out their trash and clean dishes from when you are not there.

You’re being taking advantage of.

5 Likes

Sorry, yes and have the duties on black and white.

Id either ask for a raise or bring to their attention that you was hired just to look after rather baby so they either need to stick to that or make a new contract that includes the other 2 children with obviously more money as there 3 children not 1 that you was hired for x

Sign , seal , and deliver a contract. Do it ASAP and be firm . Know your worth and be in control of what you are paid for.

Say something, you are being used.

They got a nanny and a maid - pay accordingly

You are hired as the nanny take care of the kids so you need to say something

Omg the states sucks for minimum wage. :flushed:. Canada’s minimum wage is $15 and up

8.50 is less than minimum wage

As others have said, your question makes it sound like you take it upon yourself to clean the table and stuff. I would ask for less responsibility or a pay raise to do extra work if you don’t mind the extra work. If they refuse either option, and you still keep working for them, ignore the messes on their table. Ignore the piled up laundry. Ignore any messes that were already in the home lol or just quit. Not your job to clean up after people like that. Doesn’t matter if they are paying you🤷🏽‍♀️

What happens if you don’t do those things? Why do you feel it’s your job? I would stop doing them and if they say something remind them of what was agreed upon. Good luck

Your getting paid to care for one child. I would deff as for more money!!

I think it’s time to sit down and ask what their expectations are of you. It doesnt seem like you’re only a nanny, and if that’s the case, pay would definitely need to be part of that discussion.

1 Like

I would firmly let them know your rate per child. I believe you have begun to take it upon yourself to go above and beyond and honestly, it just shows what a great person you must be. The fact that you’ve walked in to find more kids without being asked lets me know all I need to know about what kind of people they are. Nip it now. And don’t feel like they are doing you a favor. To give you a little more courage. Call 3-4 daycare centers and ask how much they would charge for all three children. I guarantee you it’s nowhere near what they are paying you.

2 Likes

Ask them for a raise.

Yes you should. That’s not light housekeeping.

For sure your doing 5x the work! Explain your employed to watch baby and light housework, your not employed to be their slave. If they want you to be the cleaner, house keeper and nanny for all 3 then a considerable raise is due.

1 Like

What are you making now?

1 Like

You need to set some boundaries and get a raise. I’ve had several people try and take advantage me this way and I won’t put up with it.

Yes you deserve a raise for all that extra work.

Figure out your rates for everything (per chore, per child, etc.). Take the list to the parents and point out what they get at the current rate and tell them you will charge more for each additional child/task. Ask them to choose what they want to pay you for and don’t do the rest. Simple.

Leave all the extra cleaning for them

The average daycare charges 200+ a week per child, far as the 7 mth old most wont take them until their 12.mths or potty trained. On top of that merry maids, ect charge about 10-12$ a hour. Not saying you have to charge that much but that’s just to give a hint to exactly how much you may be under charging yourself.

I would say no you just recently started if this is what they expect of you and you don’t like it then talk to them about that. Also how much did you start off at that really does matter. There’s a lot of things to consider. If you really enjoy the job etc.

Hell yes they changed it our contract, they want more they pay more

No it’s doesn’t matter what your making. You guys came to an agreement on watching one child and light house work for that price. That’s what you should be doing and point out what the pay and agreement was and now it has slowly shifted so they need to up your pay or you need to step back and do what was on the job description.

I’m a housekeeper. And my going rate is 25 an hour. Being a nanny and housekeeper I would charge that or 30 an hour. Yes you are doing the work of a maid.

If they are asking u to do more then you agreed to at the start and you are ok with it then they should be paying u for the extra. If not then I would give notice. Or just do what u originally said u would in terms of cleaning and leave the rest. As for having the 2 other kids on days you have all 3 you get such an amount an hour more on those days. Or negotiate for a salary instead of an hourly rate.

1 Like

If you’re not getting paid to be MOM!!! Then hell yeah ask for that raise!!! put your duties in writing, have a clear understanding, and be specific about your money.

4 Likes

Definitely ask for a raise! When I was a nanny, I only cared for the child and cleaned up whatever mess they made. More duties= more money.

Ask for a raise if that’s where you want to stay you doing more then nannny work

Bring it to their attention! I went through the same thing being a nanny for a family for 3 years. I finally put my foot down & spoke my mind & left the job because we couldn’t meet needs. You should get paid for thr exact work you’re doing. You’re there NANNY - NOT housekeeper. If they want both jobs done - they gotta pay for both. Going from 1 kid to 3. Aint no way the pay is worth it.

3 Likes

Yes. And they are lucky to have you but remember this: You are actually being a parent and those kids are very lucky

3 Likes

Yes, don’t ask tell them you want hired to do all you are going, you want to be paid for all the extra you are doing, sit down and write out what you have done and days you have watch all kids

1 Like

You are being taken advantage of. Ash for raise

4 Likes

Absolutely and I hope your getting paid accordingly

1 Like

Ummmm heck yeah you should…

Yes for sure I would. Its a big responsibility to nanny and have to take care of the mess from adults as well. Or just don’t do it and explain why

Yes ma’am! They have TRIPLED your duties the Pay should match!

2 Likes

Just do what you were hired to do. Don’t pick up after them or cook their breakfast. And as for the other kids you need to ask why are they in your care when you’re only there for the baby. Speak up They know what they’re doing but will continue to if you allow it periodt

6 Likes

Both. Ask for a raise and inform them of your reasoning.

Oh so you’re the nanny and housekeeper! Yes ask for a huge raise.

They started taking advantage of you early,had couple do that to me told them was not hired for all that.Was told do it or leave! Guess what I did!

From my view. A sitter gets paid a set price. No contract. When becoming a nanny. Should always come with a contract. Some actually go to school to become a nanny etc. next question is how can you bring up a contract to them with set pay.

Back up plan is seek out another opportunity with clear understanding and pay but come with a contract so it’s set in stone. In case when you bring up a contract. The family you are working with now. Decides to let you go and find someone else.

If you’re up to the tasks, 100% absolutely talk with them. The pay you agreed upon was counting the initial responsibilities. Sounds like lack of respect that they have been using you but not giving an upgrade in pay. SUPER RUDE. For sure say something, you deserve to be paid for what you do and if there’s an issue, stick to what you’re paid to do and let them know that.

I worked as a nanny and you should definitely make more when you have all of them and my motto was ALWAYS your house will look how I found it…make a contract and stick to it know that you know them better

Maybe tell them you’re the nanny not the maid and if they want a maid, pay you for that or hire one. Also if it was agreed just the baby then yes…you shouldn’t feel bad for asking for the pay increase.

Yes you are being taken advantage of big time
An now have you doing maid duties on top of the Nanny duties.

Have a discussion and come to clear terms. If they want you to do more they have to pay you more. If not don’t do beyond your contract.

They need to pay you what’s its worth to raise their 3 children and upkeep their home.

U al need ur agreement in writing so everyone is on the same page

sounds like if you want respect QUIT NOW! if you want money ask for WAY MORE! because your being severely UNDERPAID!