Should I be concerned about my daughters imaginary friend?

My daughter is going to be five next month, and she has a very active imagination which is why I’m not sure how to take this. She has an imaginary friend named Sally. She talks about her randomly, and it’s either she’s playing with Sally, or if she’s playing with her dress-up stuff, then she says that she’s Sally. Last night she mentioned Sally and then said that Sally died a long time ago a bad man shot at her. She also said that Sally’s mommy is Talley and her sis is Callie. After she went to bed, I googled all the names together and separately and found nothing. There was one little girl named Sally that died in 1935, but she wasn’t shot. She was found hanging. My daughter also said that Sally had pink hair and a red bow and her mommy had black hair and a brown bow. I’m a little freaked out. Is this normal? Should I keep asking her about Sally? I know kids usually have an imaginary friend (mine wouldn’t play with me, but that’s a separate issue), but it’s her talking about Sally being dead, and someone shot her that I don’t know what to do with. Any advice would be much appreciated.

166 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Should I be concerned about my daughters imaginary friend? - Mamas Uncut

Sounds like she’s friends with a ghost…

30 Likes

Sounds like it’s just an imaginary friend with pink hair and her sister and mommy all have names that ryme lol

14 Likes

When my son was around 5 he had an imaginary friend named Jackie. He told me she would wake him up at night and play with him. It scared me a little but as he got older he just quit talking about her.

Sounds just like a normal imagination :thought_balloon:

2 Likes

Does she watch violent movies? Maybe that’s where she got it from? Otherwise I’d say she has a ghost friend

1 Like

I think you should watch the show, the ghost inside my child. It’s eye opening. As long as your daughter is not engaging in any dangerous behaviors because of this friend I’d say it’s pretty normal.

10 Likes

My mom had an imaginary friend when she was growing up and so did I. Both names Sally. Same details and story line.

8 Likes

We had Jenna she had yellow hair and wore a blue dress and peed sitting down she liked to hunt zombies with nerf guns with my 4 yr old son. We had just moved to new neighborhood and for 2 weeks I thought she was a real girl in the neighborhood :joy: She lasted close to a year

6 Likes

My first born child passed away in a car accident when he was 6 weeks old. His name was Jakob and this was in 2005. My other children were born in 2008 and 2012. Both of them talked to Jakob while they were playing. I would ask who are you talking to? They both told me Jakob. My little girl even claimed to have a classmate in Pre-K named Jakob. There was no child in her class by that name. They’re 9 & 12 now and have no recollection of this ever happening.

19 Likes

My daughter would say stories alot of time at that age. She would until finally about 4-7 and she never talk about them anymore. When asked she would just smile and say that she is to big to have imaginary friends now. However I believe in spirits

1 Like

My daughter’s imaginary friend’s name is also Sally but all she says is that she is blonde with one green eye and one blue eye.

I told my mothers boyfriend that I had 10 brothers and sisters and that my mom kept them in the closet…he was kind of taken by surprise by that one

4 Likes

Remember not everything can be found on the internet. If be freaked out too. My oldest had a “brother” who slept with him & played with him. I thought imagination too. Then he woke me up screaming bloody murder that his “brother” was bleeding, dead. It freaked me out! I later met someone who’s family lived on that street for over a century. She asked me if I knew a boy was killed there? It turned out that his father killed him then hung him in the attic (which had been made into the bedrooms upstairs). It scared the crud out of me. Once he revealed himself my son never saw him again.

Imo your daughter has an imaginary friend. All the names rhyming, pink hair, bows. Those aren’t things that are typically real or that a spirit would show. I guess it’s possible.

3 Likes

PM ME!! Im sensitive to the paranormal.
This definitely sounds real

8 Likes

Completely normal. I had an imaginary fried until I was about 7…named Bogey. He was a Monkey. My sister had one too…named Willie, who was an inch tall and was blue, and would hide in our electrical outlets.

1 Like

This is scary… sounds like it’s an actual ghost… get a pastor to cleanse ur home…

2 Likes

Your house needs a cleansing no sage you need a priest and anointing oil open windows and doors let that spirit out it needs to be released sounds crazy to a non believer

3 Likes

My son had an imaginary friend named PJ and one day he wasn’t no more.

2 Likes

If you really think it may be a spirit, I’d talk to someone like a historian in your area or check old news papers in your library. It’s very possible though. My cousin growing up told everyone his best friend was a man named Bob, Bob Hall, and everyone chalked it up to just be an imaginary friend but there was a man in the mid 80s that died and his name was Bob Hall, he lived in our neighborhood, my cousin was born in 96. As someone else said if the friend isn’t encouraging dangerous or mischievous behavior,I wouldn’t consider it anything but a friendly spirit.

2 Likes

Nope. My little brother had Sam, his imaginary friend. He outgrew it and is now a VP of a company. Let them pretend. Life is hard enough.

4 Likes

My daughter was 4 and started to talk about a sophie, i thought it was the start of an imaginary friend but one day walking home she said to me, you won’t be mean to me will you, i asked her why she would ask that and said of course not and she said my last family locked me in a cupboard and didn’t feed me, so i said you haven’t had another family and she says yehhh before i came to you :flushed: shes not mentioned it for a while now and thankfully has stopped calling every doll sophie :see_no_evil: it does make u wonder where they get things sometimes

4 Likes

Sounds like a job for the mystery gang.

6 Likes

Wow I’m torn. That’s pretty detailed but at the same time she’s possibly seeing things on TV etc.

1 Like

My daughter had an imaginary friend for awhile, she made her happy so I didn’t have a problem with it.

1 Like

Unless she talks about Sally wanting to do harm, i wouldn’t worry too much.

1 Like

I’m concerned she only has one

3 Likes

You’ve obviously never watched Drop Dead Fred

7 Likes

Totally normal.
My daughter had an imaginary friend named Joeby he had blue and green hair and lived up the street.
He had to move eventually because he had too many babies and couldn’t keep up with the dirty nappies.lol
I had to to make him dinner every night and she would cry for me to take her to his house if he didn’t turn up.
It’s healthy and nothing to worry about. :blush:

1 Like

My middle son whos now 5, has always spoken to and about his uncle. His uncle passed at 5 years old in his sleep from a epileptic fit…
he never knew anything about him, we didn’t speak to him about his uncle. But we often find him playing and his playing with his uncle Phillip. He went through a time where he took 2 x drinks 2 x snacks, one for him and one for his uncle.
We have a bridge near our house, it was his uncle’s favourite bridge as it went over the ocean. He knew before we said a word it was his uncle’s favourite bridge. He can describe his uncle to a T.
We leave it. His uncle is obviously his Angel.

16 Likes

One of my brothers had an imaginary friend when he was about 5. He talked to him, and then one day, maybe a year later, he told us his friend had just bought a brand new Trans Am and was moving far away. After that, he stopped talking to him. I guess he outgrew it.

1 Like

Why do the names all rhyme?? Definitely sounds made up by a child.

3 Likes

When my son was 4 he had an “imaginary” friend he played with. He would talk to him and play in the toy room by himself with him. It was a little boy and the house that burned years ago, where our house now sits, a little boy was killed in it. Fast forward 2 years later, he doesn’t have that imaginary friend anymore. Definitely weird but your child will grow out of having imaginary friends.

2 Likes

I was told by a Doctor that it is a sign of intelligence.

2 Likes

My 6 year old daughter sometimes brings up the dead girl who lives under her dresser. She started talking about her when she was like 2 1/2 or so. I joked around that the dead girl needed to start paying rent or shes getting kicked out and my daughter eventually stopped talking about her. :joy: she still brings her up occasionally, but only when I threaten to bag up all her toys and throw them out. She usually then blames the dead girl for making the mess :woman_facepalming:

4 Likes

:roll_eyes: a lot of kids have imaginary friends. Why do parent’s now a days over speculate on everything

1 Like

My daughter has a friend named bobby… We asked were bobby was from and she said your tummy mommy. She was a twin but we lost her twin early in pregnancy. I said when did she come out. She said the same day I did. We have the same color hair but she has blue eyes. My daughter has green and brown. Her dad has blue eyes :neutral_face: freaked me and my husband out. We have to do everything for Bob too! Buckle her in the car. Set a bed for her everything.

21 Likes

My child has a thing with imaginery friends and he is 6. He has about 3 or 4 he talks about alot and all he says are ghost an has told me how each one died. He been doing this since he was about 2.5-3. his friends never do anything bad or he never does anything bad shall I say and blame it on them so I’ve never known to be worried or embrace it :joy:.

1 Like

James is 5. He has had his imaginary friend for 2 years atleast. Jingles and jingles brother are always around and he talks about them. Doesn’t bother me

My son had Goggy for many years. Always went with us anywhere we would go. My son is 14 and I dont remember Goggy for several years now.

My Grandson had admanary freind his name was Mr.Pete very normal

My daughter had a friend named Mickey. We would have to hide from him because he was mean and tried hitting her. The crazy thing is some random lady from Texas called my mom that week and told her we had three negative spirits in the house. One in the living room, laundry room and my daughters room. She said they couldn’t hurt us but they were feeding off a male in the house depression(my dad), and a female. My daughter was 3.
It scared me because right after my daughter was born where we lived was a unmarked plantation grave yard. We had no idea. I was home alone, she was asleep. I got out the shower and something firmly grabbed my arm. I have never gotten dressed so fast and ran out the house. The next day a neighbor told me the city was about to start digging in the corner of the property and had to stop because they found graves. That same day I also had a dream where I was laying on the ground and a evil spirit started stabbing me in the eye with broken mirror glass shaped like a cross. We moved as soon as we could. I never believed in the super natural and still skeptical. I thought about having myself admitted. I haven’t had any experiences like these since Thank God! I middle daughter is 4 and so far no talk of a imaginary friend.

10 Likes

Honestly I believe younger kids can see ghosts/spirits whatever yah wanna call it! This is interesting and scary lol

8 Likes

My niece had an imaginary friend. She said he died on a 4 wheeler in the road in front of their house. A teen had in fact died in an accident 5 years before they moved into the house. They moved out and the new house is next to a cemetery. She sees people dressed in white walking threw the cemetery. She said 1 of them told her to do bad stuff.

5 Likes

My son had imaginary dogs, Jaci, Chelsea, and Arthur. ARTHUR WAS The trouble maker, everything bad Arthur did it, Jaci went everywhere with us, strange ppl in store would ask for Jaci and pretend to pet him. Everyone knew about his dogs, we live in a small town. Completely normal, they eventually went away and we got him a real :dog2:

3 Likes

My brother (now an assistant conductor ad the Metropolitan Opera) had an imaginary friend called Waiter. He was a troublemaker in pre-school. He did everything you wouldn’t want to hear about any child. Our mother was so curious she asked the teacher about Waiter. Of course, she’d never heard of any child called Waiter.

We realized years later he got the name when he was three and we explained to him what happens in a restaurant. Once I heard him playing with Waiter and I heard him speak to someone he called Googie, but Googie didn’t hang around. long. Finally, Waiter disappeared, and I asked him what happened to him. My brother explained he’d gotten flushed down the toilet.

2 Likes

My daughter has an “imaginary” friend around 3-4 yrs old his name was Allen she talked about him and played with him often we did a little research and allen had been a little boy who passed away on the property when we moved she didn’t see him much usually when we went to my parents house which is where we lived when he popped up . It was completely harmless and by the time my daughter was about 5 she no longer saw him and by the time she was around 7 she didn’t remember much about him . She’s now 11 and only remembers a few bits and pieces about her time with her imaginary friend

2 Likes

Kids have imaginations. Sadly that gets conditioned out of us as we get older. Try having a conversation with Sally some day.

1 Like

Mine did- I can’t remember her name but my kid told me that he friend had died alone over there and no one ever found her. If freaked me but at first but nothing ever came of it

5 Likes

My sister had an imaginary friend till she was 7. She would play cards with her, hold hands skipping to the shops. Her name was Charlotte.

I had one named Samuel Damuel who dressed like a monk. I remember yelling at him to go away and never come back. I was 5ish? And I had started school by then

Children are more open to the spirit world spirits use children as a portal of communication

7 Likes

I wouldn’t be too concerned. She’ll out grow it when she gets to school and will make real people friends. My daughter had imaginary friends and outgrew them by the end of 1st grade. She had and still has a great imagination. So, not to worry :heart:

2 Likes

Sounds like the kiddo can see and talk to ghosts… my daughter and I have had several experiences

4 Likes

My sons imaginary friend said he wanted to cut him in pieces and he show me where the imaginary friend wanted to cut. Pretty much his limbs and head. He was 3 when this happened.

6 Likes

Could it be something she is watching? When my daughter (4 at the time) watched alot of YouTube she did talk to someone. We had her stop watching it and she stopped.

2 Likes

I had a imaginary friend naked Nikki or so I thought but turned out our house was rather haunted and I was technically talking to either q demon or a spirt

3 Likes

I’m a medium, sont scold or punish her over Sally. Sally if she is a spirit, is probably really confused and just wants a friend.

7 Likes

Maybe her imaginary friend isn’t so imaginary…

2 Likes

Children are very sensitive to spirits…they outgrow the ability unless they are taught it is ok to know them if she has special ability. My granddaughter had one…and outgrew her. Is your home old? Did you research the prior owners? Just ask her now and then if she has seen her friend…let her tell you if she has. Don’t freak. Only get worried if it starts sounding dangerous…then ask your priest, preacher, pastor, rabi to come for a house visit…

5 Likes

Joking. I would give her up for adoption.

4 Likes

Salley has a back story. Notice how her mom and sisters names all sound like Sally. Don’t overthink this I had for imaginary friends with very detailed lives one was a serial killer and they weren’t ghosts they were just things I made up in my head to express myself

1 Like

My son did the same thing

I have always thought that imaginary friends were actually ghosts that we can’t see because we’re older. I feel like sometimes children can see things that we can’t because they are open to anything & they are so innocent. My little sister had an imaginary friend when she was around that age, it was a boy named Owen. We would always hear her in her room talking to someone. We all just assumed she had an imaginary friend but after a while it got kinda weird because after “playing” with him in her room with the door closed, she would come out of the room with scratches & other marks on her body and we would ask how she got them & she would say that Owen did it because he got mad at her. We all thought she was just doing it to herself but over time, we noticed she would have scratches in weird spots that we knew she couldn’t reach like on the middle of her back. It was all really strange but eventually she just stopped talking about him. She’s 18 now & when we bring it up she has no idea what we’re talking about. It’s weird how when kids get older, they forget about their “friend”

10 Likes

She is just a kid. Let it be an active imagination for now! My 4yo son has a few imaginary friends and I just roll with it. Its a teaching experience too

1 Like

I’m an adult and at my old house there was a man that would stand outside my bedroom door, he wore a long trench coat and a large 10 gallon hat that was black half of his face was shot off. He just stood in the doorway at night so I started to shut the bedroom door my ex husband thought I was outta my mind until one night he saw him too. After that there was always a night light in the hallways outside of our bedroom door and the door was always closed at night. I was telling my neighbor about it around the time my ex husband had the shit scared out of him and she told me that her son who was 6 at the time was telling her about a man he was playing with in there yard for months. At this time she didnt know any details except the (ghostly figure in my hall wore a long coat and big hat) she told her son to come up to the porch and tell me about his new playmate. He said his name is Konkey, and he was shot. I said where was he shot and her 6 year old told me that he was shot in the face. Witch his mother didnt know because even at 6 he was afraid to tell his mom because he enjoyed playing with him. Also we lived next to a cemetery and I did not investigate further proof. But sounds to me like your daughter definitely has a deceased friend and as long as her friend is not telling her to do anything strange or dangerous I wouldn’t worry to much about it. But I think it might not hurt to start burning some sage around your house. Best of luck to you.

Most imaginary friends aren’t really imaginary. Most are spirits.

3 Likes

Imaginary to you and others, however could be more than real to her. Spirits love Children, she could be helping her friend.

6 Likes

It may be an imaginary friend, or maybe your daughter is a medium. Just keep an eye on the situation. If she starts having more “imaginary” friends, maybe there be more to it than an active imagination. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

My daughter is 3. She never met my father. He passed away years before she was born but said grandpa Paul and was waving in the air and smiling. Anything possible.

3 Likes

my little brother had this friend named “toby” he would ALWAYS talk to him ONLY in our living room closet. After like a year, he said that he couldn’t see toby anymore. i just got goosebumps that was SCARY.

2 Likes

Your daughter may have gifts its nothing to be terrified about just practice some curiosity into what she’s seeing. Is she afraid?

5 Likes

Children are very susceptible to seeing/communicating with spirits. As long as her friend isn’t causing her harm or trying to use your daughter as a way to harm others, I wouldn’t be too worried. If you wish, encourage her to express herself more and talk more openly about it so she doesn’t lose her ability! It’s hard to get back once lost!:heartpulse:

3 Likes

My oldest once told us that the reason she pushed her little sister into a stand is because her friend who comes out of the wall told her to do it, this is just one of many “weird” things she use to do/say. She hasn’t really said anything weird for over a year now besides things she’s picked up from YouTube.

2 Likes

My younger sister (around the age of 5) had a very detailed imaginary friend “Helen”. Things got crazy and Helen told her to do things…a couple of somewhat dangerous things I won’t mention as to not scare you, but we also had to set a place setting for Helen and buckle her in a seat belt. Helen also was killed (I can’t remember how) and she described her clothing from maybe the 30s. Nothing was found with researching. But this was also almost 20 years ago and I don’t think we had a lot of resources if I recall.

4 Likes

Reach out to a medium for advice

4 Likes

Kids are just more in tune with the other side. It may be a gift she has. She’ll grow out of it. It’s always a good idea to burn some sage tho.

On the other side. She has an active imagination. Harness that and let her do her thing. Some of those people become great writers or screen writers. Leave her be… Spiritual or imagination. She’s expressing herself. She’ll be fine. Don’t freak out or make a big deal. She’ll close her self off and not tell you things.

3 Likes

She is just special…

1 Like

Children see and hear things. When I was about 3 months pregnant my son, 3 years old at the time, told me I was gonna have a little girl and she was gonna look just like me and have brown eyes too. I asked how he knew and and he sweetly replied, “God told me” well I had a daughter and she does resemble me with brown eyes. The color of eyes wasn’t necessarily a given because my son has blue eyes so I found it particularly interesting he came up with that detail besides the gender.

6 Likes

kids are born with the 3rd eye open. As we grow we close it because we are scared or because of trauma. She sees the dead its not a big deal. Just gotta teach her not to tell everyone just you and whoever else’s. I wouldn’t worry. However make sure she knows not all spirits are good. Get a black obsidian for protection and do your research. Also keep some sage around. If the spirit isn’t causing any harm let her be. She’s just probably a lonely spirit thats doesn’t know how to cross over. Fine someone in your area to help her cross over if you would like. Seeing spirits can be scary if your not use to it. Better yet I also can refer you to a group that can help. Pm me if you would like.

7 Likes

Gabi is my daughters. It’s crazy how much detail she knows.

Soooo don’t bash me but it sounds like your daughter is a medium. If you don’t believe in that don’t bash. And don’t supress her gift or tell her she’s imagining it. Reach out to other mediums to help her understand herself because that’s a lot to deal with.

6 Likes

My 5 year old has a whole imaginary family. Also tells everyone random stories for exaple he told me the other day that he remembers us when he was a baby and we were in florida and watched the Eiffel tower fall down. Its pretty normal for kids to have a wild imagination. I would be worried if she didnt tbh

3 Likes

No! My son had one named Diggy who lived underground. He always came to me with stories. Enjoy it. It’s the cutest thing ever

1 Like

Not a problem at all. She is probably getting ready to move on and Sally dying is her way of putting her in the last.

3 Likes

Wow, your daughter is gifted. I’m an empath and I’m still trying to learn my gift. I’ve had it since I was born. As long as she isn’t scared then I wouldn’t be too worried. Someone made the comment to keep talking with her about this to keep this gift going. I agree with that. You both will be confused for a long time but once she can learn to get a hold of this better (it will take time), she will either hate it or embrace it. Good luck!

4 Likes

Your daughter does not have an imaginary friend she is seeing and communicating with a ghost. It is very common in young children sadly parents convince the children it was their imagination instead of learning about this ability. Your daughter needs to learn to use her abilities and how to protect herself from negative spirits. I suggest doing some research on the subject.

8 Likes

It is a lot for a child to deal with when they realize that other people don’t see what they’re seeing they will clam up about what they’re seeing. My granddaughter talked about the guys from the moment she could talk she would tell us stories they were not always the same people some children some adults after she went to school she stopped talking. And if you asked she said I don’t hear them anymore and I don’t see them anymore. It is true that there are some spirits that are troublesome and she may need some guidance

3 Likes

Please reach out to Soul Architect Jessenia. She is a very gifted and well trained medium.

1 Like

No. Not unless its physically or psychologicaly harming her

Im sure it’s nothing to worry about. The all rhyming names seems like a thing a child would make up…

4 Likes

I wouldn’t worry, too much. I had an imaginary friend & also talked about her being dead. I turned out okay lol.

4 Likes

I still remember my imaginary friend). One I loved and only played with me in the hallway of my childhood home. Then the others scared the shit out of me on multiple different occasions throughout my childhood. My mom never believed me. Still doesn’t to this day. But it forced me to shut it out and live in fear in that home for a very long time. As I got older although I was able to close the door sometimes i guess I let my guard down and I will see things. I still don’t like being in my moms house alone or down in the bedrooms alone. I still get the same uneasy feelings. I was always told children are open to the other side more than adults however, I also know that some children have just a very larger than life imagination and may have imaginary friends who may not be of the other side. Just support her and be understanding. Do not encourage nor discourage her of it if she talks about it so you can leave the line of communication open if it actually is an ability she has and if not then eventually she will outgrow it.

I would contact a medium and see if they would come to the house and do a reading and talk with my daughter then see where you are at.

5 Likes

You should sage your house just Incase Sally ain’t friendly.

6 Likes

There was a family that got murdered in my grandparents house before my great grandfather bought it, when i was younger and used to stay there i used to go home and tell my mom about the little girl that would always play with me in the basement and i would tell her that a bad man killed their family and that’s why my mom couldn’t meet her parents. Sounds real to me👀

4 Likes

Sally is a spirit it sounds to me… try to find the history of the house you live in

3 Likes

It’s normal my little sister had an imaginary friend named tunnel and he had bright green hair and lived under the floor. She had this friend from like 3 to 5. Then one day she said tunnel was mean to her and she told him she didn’t wanna be friends and to go away after that tunnel was never spoke of again :woman_shrugging:t3:

3 Likes

My son had a few imaginary friends - a little girl who lived in our bathroom who would talk to him and play toys with him every day and two men that he referred to as the neighbors who played with him constantly and talked to him while he was sleeping. After a VERY LONG story and 6 months, turned out these imaginary friends were all one very evil and manipulative spirit that lived in my home that was tormenting my son. My son is also a medium and he’s now four.

5 Likes