Should I be concerned with the types of games my toddler plays?

Need advice on the games my 3 y/o son plays. I have a 3 y/o little boy (he’ll be 4 next month) and the only type of games he plays is violent and gory shooting games. That’s the only thing that keeps him entertained. When I give him the phone I put it on kids YouTube for him to watch that but he always goes straight to those games after a few minutes. He’s always talking about shooting and/or stabbing people. I try to put it on parental control but somehow he finds a way around that. He’s super smart. He also loves zombies. Idk if this is just a phase and normal for his age or something I should be concerned about? He was with his dad full-time for about 6 months pervious to me having him now. Advice?

50 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. https://answers.mamasuncut.com/t/should-i-be-concerned-with-the-types-of-games-my-toddler-plays/20064

You should cut out the games. He should not play them at so young age.

6 Likes

Delete the apps completely. Why do you still have them if you’re concerned?? Better yet, Stop giving him the phone altogether and start finding new interests for him.

12 Likes

Yes I’d be concerned. Don’t allow those games anymore :woman_shrugging: & pay attention when he’s on your phone.

1 Like

3 is a bit young for those kinda games imo. Maybe some learning games , spelling games etc

2 Likes

I would delete the apps and not give access to screen time, unless 100% supervised.
It’s most likely what he is used to watching or doing with dad, playing these games and watching these videos.
Let him do toddler and kid stuff.

4 Likes

Don’t let him surf YouTube by himself he’s way too young to be doing that. You can get Netflix and put it in the kids section but other then that he’s pretty young to have more then a half hour to an hour of screen time a day. I wouldn’t let him browse on YouTube at all or anything that would allow him access to anything violent or inappropriate for his age.

1 Like

Yea … ummm…take some responsibility, stop making excuses and blaming him for getting around parental lock…he’s 3 and YOU ARE ALLOWING this. Just stop. It’s really just that easy. Stop using your phone for lazy parenting bc “bc nothing else will keep him entertained” … He’s 3, figure out what else he likes :person_facepalming:

11 Likes

Lol at 3? Thats insane. He shouldnt even be playing until he can read.

I’m more concerned about you allowing him any screen time at all at such a tender age.

2 Likes

I’am making over $153 an hour working online with 2 kids at home. I never thought I’d be able to do it but my best friend earns over $ 19425 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The potential with this is endless

Chk This—>> https://proworkinfo1283.pages.dev/

I babysat a boy (now 7) who has been playing violent games and watching scary youtube videos since he was 4. He is completely out of control and his parents won’t do the one thing to stop it which is to cut out the ipad/phone altogether

5 Likes

They have an app called YouTube kids

1 Like

Stop letting him. It’s dangerous and you will regret it and have no way to fix it later.

4 Likes

Delete the app or delete history on YouTube. My son discovered cartoon characters jumping off buildings and stuff and getting up and walking away I deleted the history hasn’t found it again. I understand sometimes scene time is the only way to get thing done

1 Like

My son figured out how to get around the parental controls and all that around the same age. He knows how to use an iPad better than I do lol. He’s not allowed to play violent games like that but every once in awhile I catch him watching something he shouldn’t be if I leave the room for a minute. He likes kid stuff but he’s also into zombies, monsters and “creepy stuff” as he says. Personally, I think that’s a little young for shooting games but as long as he isn’t being physically violent and hurting other kids, I wouldn’t worry too much about it. It’s probably just a phase, but I would try to get him interested in something else and onto the next phase

1 Like

You’re his PARENT, take some responsibility. There is no way I would let my child play or watch things like that. You know it’s wrong or you wouldn’t have asked social media

9 Likes

From experience I had to to my sons phone and make him stop playing those games he was getting violent same age too

1 Like

Why are they are your phone if you share it with him?

1 Like

Shew, these comments man… Some of you guys would just die if you had any idea. Me, personally I think it’s fine. Just make sure you teach him that is it fake and people (most) don’t act this way. It’s not real life. My kids were born playing bloody, violent games. All know that it’s just that, a game. Even my autsic 5 year old who is on a 3 year old level. If it bother you that much tho change it.

1 Like

Get rid of the games. Not appropriate for his age and where he is developmentally.

5 Likes

Don’t give him your phone. Or sit and watch when he is on it. Always try to redirect

2 Likes

Stop giving him access to any of it he’s 3 take it all away

4 Likes

Wow that’s like a big NO.
Games usually come with an age level.

Yeah, say no to.the games. They hardware kids brains to see violence as entertainment. It is horrible on their brain. Kids is 3, you can stop him. Take everything away from him. Keep in mind violent games like that are addictive. The adrenaline that hits when the mind gets scared makes the kids want more and more of it. We use to call people like that adrenalin rush junkies.

2 Likes

He should be outside playing with dirt, making puzzles, hide and seek, interacting with other children.

5 Likes

that kid is gonna be a COD god when he gets older. his dad was probably just playing Call of duty with him around

3 Likes

Here’s a thought
…get rid of the games .

Don’t allow it…be a parent

Stop giving him the phone and he can’t play the games

1 Like

If he is so smart and can’t respect parental controls, then take it away. Buy a kids tablet with only age appropriate games. Sorry, but no toddler should be “obsessed” with shooting and stabbing people. Wtf.

8 Likes

This can’t be for real. STOP GIVING HIM THE PHONE!! Discipline him when he doesn’t listen. Be a freaking parent before he turns into one of the Columbine kids. Good lord

5 Likes

Your the parent. Don’t let him have the electronics.

2 Likes

That’s a you problem. You’re the one that controls that. That is your lack of parenting.

6 Likes

If he wants to watch something for entertainment, put in a DVD. Three is way too young for all that.

2 Likes

Personally I talk to my kids a lot about separating virtual reality and physical reality in their minds. Even my 4 year old. I talked how it’s a very serious thing to kill someone in real life, we talk a lot about the things we see on youtube and such too…

Everyone wonders why we have mass shootings across this country? THIS conversation should be a red flag!

Call me what you want but when you feed a brain with such violence they are unable establish

1. being able to do decipher between reality and fiction.
  2. they’ll believe that what they “play” is real world
  3. they’ll normalize this behavior
  4. this will ingrain violence

Studies are proving that kids are becoming disconnected with real world issues. Desensitized to reality.

I strongly suggest you do research on the outcome of social media and gaming.

This is definitely not the platform for questions that apply to YOUR baby!

6 Likes

Erm who is the parent? He’s 3 you can control very easily what he pays on and what he watches. Don’t let him period! Get him outside and spend time with him instead of giving him a phone to play on.

6 Likes

If it’s a concern delete the games?

Wait…a 3 year old is playing shooting games? In our household we do not allow violent games or tv to be played while our children are in the room (usually that means no until after bed cause they are in an out). You really need to think about what it would do to his subconscious mind and how it can effect his sleeping, his attitude, etc. I see that you’re trying to put child locks and such but toddlers are way smarter than we give them credit for. If you want it to end take all electronics away from HIS hands

3 Likes

You desensitized him to violence. A 3 year old should not be playing those games at all.

12 Likes

Sounds like you’re letting a toddler control everything in your home. You as his parent shouldn’t be letting him play those types of games. Kids don’t have access to those games unless the parent downloads them or buys them for the child. You as the parent shouldn’t be allowing it. Take the devices away it’s that simple. His dad obviously allowed him access to this stuff in his home but you as the mother shouldn’t be if you’re this concerned about his “obsession”. You also need to tell him that it’s not okay to shoot or stab people and tell him why. Stop letting a toddler control your home.

He uses your phone… Why?
Get him other toys and stop giving him your device.
It’s pretty simple to stop if you’re bothered by it. My oldest made it 16yrs without a phone and my 12yr old uses a laptop for school. It’s really easy to say No.

6 Likes

Sorry he’s FOUR & you have control of what he plays. Let him take his tantrums, give him a few other options & he’ll get over it.

1 Like

Don’t give this child a phone period he is 3 he doesn’t need a phone

3 Likes

You cannot be serious. He’s 3! Tell him NO. “No you cannot have the phone. No you cannot watch those videos. No you cannot play those games” Be his parent.

6 Likes

Stop giving him your phone.

1 Like

That’s your problem giving your child anything he wants, he’s not an entitled teenager. Do something about it!

3 Likes

Perhaps try and parent your child you are the adult

4 Likes

I think the idea of zombies for a 3 year old is very normal. However, I wouldn’t let him play shooting type of games yet. He is too young to understand the difference between real and make believe. If you make a huge deal about it he is just going to want it more. Redirect him. You are going to constantly have to block items you don’t want him looking at. I have to with my 5 year old on YouTube, daily.

Nope. You have the responsibility of teaching him the difference between play and real life tho. of hurting those in the game and hurting friends or family, etc.

Yes be worried he’s 3 he shouldn’t even know how to play that stuff. Take him outside to the park on a walk . Get him out from those screens. That’s teaching him it’s ok to behave like that an that’s how you are with other ppl and that’s not ok.

1 Like

Why did you allow him to ever play them?

2 Likes

You’re the parent not him. When he gets to school the teachers will have a problem with it as most kids don’t play those types of things at that age. I’m not trying to bash you at all I know it’s hard being a parent but this could set the tone for his future. Take control now before he’s too grown to do it later

7 Likes

Electronics are terrible for your child’s developing brain. It’s like being addicted to drugs for them.

1 Like

Stop giving him a phone…

1 Like

I wonder if you shouldn’t get him one of those kids’ gadgets that only has educational video games and put the cellphone up for awhile. I wouldn’t get the starter games. No doubt he already knows his shapes and colors. He maybe could use a brush up on numbers and letters. He needs to get into the reading and math programs. Get him ready for pre-school and kindergarten. He’ll probably not be too happy about the change at first, but try to explain to him that he’s playing games that are meant for grownups. He needs to be getting ready to enter school. Tell him how smart he is and how proud of him you are. Maybe you could find him some handheld games of Mario or other such older games at GameStop or other such places.

7 Likes

There seems to be a very simple solution…don’t give him your phone.

4 Likes

Need to cut it off asap

I went through the same exact situation with my now 8 year old. He lived with his dad until he was 4 and he was crazy about the games his dad would play. Resident evil, modern warfare. He loved to watch zombie shows and movies and would literally obsess with his toy guns pretending to get “head shots” and killing people all the time. I’ve had to seriously work hard to redirect my son since he came to stay with me full time. He is barely getting nerf guns back. I’ve had many many many long talks with him about how it’s not ok to talk about killing people all the time and it’s worked quite well. May have taken a few years to get that stuff out of his head but he’s better now.

You gotta take that stuff away from him. If he can’t stay off those games and respect the rules of the tablet or phone, take it away. When he talks about violence, calmly tell him that’s not ok and change the subject. Heavily monitor what he’s watching on tv. And it will help a ton more if you just give him very limited screen time every day and force him to play with his toys or go outside. My youngest gets 2 hours a day on his switch and 2 hours a day on tv. Strictly on kids profiles and very very limited access to anything remotely violent. (Wrestling, minecraft, so on…)

5 Likes

The 3 year old is in charge?

2 Likes

I have a 4 year old and a 3 year old. They love those games. They’re very into call of duty right now cuz that’s what their dad plays lol and they love dinosaur games so they have dinosaur simulator games where you have to hunt and things like that. I play mortal Kombat on my phone and they love that game too. They also have their kids games that they play, it all depends on the day, some days they want just their kid games with colors and shapes and matching and others they want their call of duty lol. See if you can get him to switch back and forth, put the games that you’d like him to play and “play” them yourself and thatll probably get his interest.

A 3 year old gets around parental controls with passwords?

2 Likes

No. Games don’t hurt him. It’s been an ongoing worry of parents since games were invented, but studies don’t suggest need for worry. My son played COD at 3.

2 Likes

Shit like this is probably why we have mass shootings all over the world now stop letting your baby be charge if your 3 yr old playing shooting games take the phone and he plays no games problem solved. Otherwise just raise your little cereal killer and call it a day

Well don’t let him have the phone then? I don’t know…

Not healthy. No games unless they are edit like ABC mouse. I have a few boys in my class that love playing “zombies” on the playground but I the blood/ gore and shooting people isn’t normal. A 3-4 year old shouldn’t be playing many games especially those types of games.

7 Likes

Stop letting him watch YouTube. There are other kinds of entertainment for him to watch.

4 Likes

He can’t gain access to those games by himself. You must’ve put them on your phone. Idk how he’s getting past parental controls. Be his parent & stop allowing access to inappropriate content.

4 Likes

A three year old dictates you what he will and will not do?

5 Likes

Just explain to him that those are games and what would happen if he should do it in real life.

What in the corn dog hell!!! Parent YOUR CHILD! Get off your phone, go play with your 4 year old!!

6 Likes

This is so terrible. A 3 year old? You’re kidding right? YouTube?? Omg. Imagine what we did at that age… nothing like that at all. He’s only entertained by that because that’s what you allow him to have. Don’t let him have your phone? Delete all the shooting games if you do. And only let him be on YouTube KIDS a separate app for kids… he’ll probably throw a fit but DONT GIVE HIM YOUR PHONE. he’s too young he should be playing with toys and watching kid shows. This is absolutely outrageous. Come on mama, do better.

5 Likes

Uhm. Be the parent :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Bro you gave his ass shooting games with a HIGHLY underdeveloped brain, and are asking if you should have cause for concern?! Well yeah bro. Tf. He has no comprehension of pretend and reality at that age. You can’t explain real vs fake and what happens to kids who don’t listen. You are the one failing the child. I’m more concerned with you.

You have to look at the purpose of play. Play is a learning tool that help kids master their world. At three and four they are learning to handle their emotions and express themselves. They learn to model behavior and coping and decision making skills. Your kid, your rules. To suggest that you can’t control his viewing or playing violent games is very telling.

4 Likes

I’am making over $165 an hour working online with 3 kids at home. I never thought I’d be able to do it but my best friend earns over $ 17968 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The potential with this is endless

Chk This—>> https://AmazingJobs91.pages.dev/

1 Like

Sigh… it’s normal. But you must also keep an eye on him. Please try to either remove or limit violent games. They are truly NOT OK for a growing brain.

2 Likes

Lmaoooo you’ll be crying when he ends up killing someone. Saying you didn’t see the signs. You’re the parent. There IS a way to keep him off it, you just don’t want to because then you’d have to actually parent

8 Likes

I didn’t agree with my grandsons having access to those games either, both boys are obsessed with zombies too. I ran with the zombieS and made up several real games Including zombies, tag, hide and seek etc… they had a ball! But you need to be right there with them, they get exercise, fresh air, and time with Nana, it’s a win win… best I could think of!!

1 Like

Yes you should absolutely be concerned with a THREE YEAR OLD talking about shooting and stabbing people??

He’s 3. Why is he even playing those games??? You say he “goes straight to those games on your phone” so I’m assuming you have them on your phone already? So stop giving him your phone….

Seriously just stop giving him your phone. I wouldn’t give him any electronics, kids that age don’t even need a tablet. I have a 3 year old boy, I don’t think I’ll give him anything like that for a couple of years.

If you’re insistent on him watching something, get a DVD player and just get like sponge bob DVD’s or something.

Like wtf I don’t understand how this is a question.

4 Likes

Lazy @ss parenting right here. How about you keep your child entertained smh

Yikes… A 3 y/o should not be playing digital games at all. I would remove access to all of it unless it is toddler learning centered.

3 Likes

This is Just Weird of you to be allowing a 3 year old access to Anything like this! Especially when you Know he’s doing this and didn’t take control immediately the first time you saw this happen. He should be watching abc mouse and training for preschool and kindergarten Not Playing videogames on your phone!:roll_eyes:

4 Likes

I’am making over $165 an hour working online with 3 kids at home. I never thought I’d be able to do it but my best friend earns over $ 17968 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The potential with this is endless

Chk This—>> https://AmazingJobs118.pages.dev/

It’s because of what he’s seeing on YouTube. I had to completely take YouTube away from mine. It was rough for about 2 months but he doesn’t even ask about it anymore now thankfully. No judgement because I made the same mistakes but that crap is poison for their little minds. :heart: good luck mama.

1 Like

Then stop letting him play those games if you’re concerned… you are the parent. And if he doesn’t want to play anything else , don’t let him play

6 Likes

Redirect him. Most kids his age like to color. Buy him some cocomelon books and markers and have him color or draw when he asks for an electronic.

1 Like

Just don’t let him go on YouTube or play those game. That’s your child and if you don’t like it for his age you don’t have to just because other parents see no problem with it🤷

1 Like

Well stop giving your 3 yr old access to video games. :flushed: my 6 yr old still doesn’t pay video games. He has a tablet with parental blocks on it including you tube even kids you tube. A 3 yr old SHOULD be using his imagination to play with toys.

6 Likes

And you allow it? :joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

I surprised this is even a question. No it’s not normal and should not become normal. Be the parent.

5 Likes

That’s bad parenting at it best. No three year old should be playing violent video games. That’s why the video manufacturers put age guidelines. Personally I think violent video games should be banned from anyone under 18

11 Likes

If video games are something he likes, i would maybe get him a nintendo. Theres a lot more age appropriate games you can get him into. He likes zombies so maybe try plants vs zombies. & you could get him into maybe mario kart or minecraft. If you play with him, that might get him interested more. & I personally would get rid of all the violent games, his brain is developing right now so i wouldnt have him playing that kind of stuff at his age. & honestly id throw out youtube too. My kid is 8 now and has been watching YouTube since he was like 2. Its not really a path you want them on. Youtube is still a big issue in our house. Hes now watching things he shouldnt and redownloading the apps on various devices or tvs when were not paying attention. Its just a whole mess you dont wanna get into.

Why the fuc# would you let a 3 year old play those kind of games?!? Parenting fail. Take electronics from your kid if he’s playing stuff he shouldn’t. :woman_facepalming:t2: he can either listen or lose the privilege. That easy

7 Likes

Are you one of those parents who dont do your job as a parent cuz you feel your kid can run their own life independently? Set some rules. Youre the parent. Its your responsibility.

5 Likes

Why is this page even allowed? It’s supposed to be a page where women, mothers come together and help each other. No matter the problem. But all I see is HATE. bashing. Just nastiness. Why is it that almost every comment on here is so ugly? There are ways to help this mama out without being so judgemental and hareful. Yall don’t know the full story. Maybe she is an amazing mama who is just trying to find better ways to redirect her toddler. Yall really need to do better.

Serious question and yes it has relevance, why did he go from being with dad full time to being with you? This isn’t Normal and could be an outlet for something he experienced

1 Like

Stop giving him access