Should I buy my sons father a Father's Day gift?-

Should i buy a Father’s Day gift for my son’s dad? I am remarried but he is not. He didn’t get anything for me for Mother’s Day because he said I’m married now and it’s my current husband’s responsibility to handle things like that. Just wondering what you guys would do in this situation?

60 Likes

He’s the father of your child, so it should’ve been his responsibility, not your current husbands(in my opinion)
So in my opinion, no, you shouldn’t….and only because he used that as an excuse not to buy you sonething

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. https://answers.mamasuncut.com/t/should-i-buy-my-sons-father-a-fathers-day-gift/19719

No just make the kiddos at least call or hang out with him he didn’t buy me anything and I moved on

1 Like

I wouldn’t. But if you fee you must, have your son sign the card as if it’s from him. I also wouldn’t expect my ex to buy me a Mother’s Day gift at all though and I’m single

Have your child do something for him like a painting or drawing or some DIY stuff.

1 Like

Considering we had 3 sons and the most I ever got was a last minute scribbled on by him paper plate in 7 years, I say no. Want a Father’s Day gift? Be a father.

2 Likes

I ain’t buying baby daddy shit he didn’t give me shit

Yes. Its not from you. Give your son a small amount that he could pick something out. Doesn’t have to be much, he could make him a card or buy his favorite chocolate or something. From son to dad. Thats what fathers day is about. The kids appreciating the father.

6 Likes

Honestly, he chose to not get you anything, but that doesn’t mean you have to choose to not get him anything. The fact that you’re asking means part of you at least feels bad not getting him anything. I would get him something small.

2 Likes

I always let my daughter get her dad something for fathers day and for his birthday, Christmas, we both moved on and my daughter gets his new girlfriend stuff all the time. I don’t care if he doesn’t get me anything.

2 Likes

It is up to you. Every year for Mother’s Day my baby daddy sends me flowers :bouquet: (I’m married) and every Father’s Day I send him Gifts.

But every Christmas I also send him gifts and he doesn’t get me anything :woman_shrugging: but I think it’s important to show our son that we get along and still care about each other.

Instead of buying something why not do some artsy making stuff with ur son it’s also Bonding time for you and ur son and dad can keep a memorable thing
Money does not always have to be spent for it to mean something.

Coming from my own experience with my childrens dad
My kids seemed to get more out of it by making something together for their dad
And it is no bad reflection for anyone it just shows that you support ur son having a relationship with his dad even if ur not together with the dad

A healthy relationship both for dad and son is never a fail.

4 Likes

To each their own. My ex got my boys to get me something for mother’s Day. I ain’t doing f all for him. As he’s the one that cheated an got into meth an abandoned his family. Even tho that was in the past he’s still a half-assed father an his gf can do all that for him since her daughters are calling him dad an he barely sees his own sons

I take my kids to the store to choose a gift & card for their dad. He’s remarried but they want me to do it. I hate their dad but not more than I love them :woman_shrugging: And he never gets me sh*t. But I’ll always be the parent they remember supporting the positive relationship with both parents.

10 Likes

I made homemade crafts for both until my kids got old enough to do crafts on their own to gift him themselves. I don’t buy Father’s Day gifts and I don’t expect my Mother’s Day gifts to be bought either unless it’s my kids choice.

Don’t get him a gift. He’s not your father. Help your son make a card for him.

1 Like

Yes you should. Its for your son not ur ex

Kids are so proud to give mom and dad gifts for these occasions. If you are your child’s only way for him to get a Father’s Day gift then I would do it. It’s hard when we don’t get appreciated and get those rude comments made to us by our exes but we have to remember the kids and how they feel. I took my kids Christmas shopping for their dad the year I had extra money to do so and they were so excited to bring him gifts. He never got me anything after we divorced but that didn’t bother me, it’s the excitement the kids got when giving that I enjoyed. So yeah it’s hard but look at it from the child’s point of view. Hope that makes sense.

All depends on how you wanna raise your son. Raise him to buy the mothers day present when he’s older. Raise him to love and appreciate his dad. From these comments, not enough of us mothers teach that.

4 Likes

Let your child make or buy something for his dad

2 Likes

How old is your son?
Get him to make something for his dad :slight_smile:
Or just give him like $20 to pick something out

Think of it this way; would you as a child have wanted to give your father a gift for Father’s Day? If so, buy dad something. You don’t have to spend a ton, but a card and something hand picked by your child goes a long way.

You personally do not have to get him anything but I would at least purchase a card ‘from’ the child. Plus a phone call or something.
Phone calls/text messages can’t be saved forever.
Doesn’t matter if he didn’t do anything for you, it sucks yeah, but you don’t want your child growing with that nonsense from both sides.

1 Like

I haven’t ever bor have i received any from an ex. I think some people do it for the kids and that is super sweet. I have had mine make cards, but it’s not something I do now. They are old enough to do it if they wish.

1 Like

Unpopular opinion. I take my kids to dollar tree to pick out a card, and a couple things. When they were small, we would make craft project. My ex-husband still has a 14 yr old big poster board heart painted by our 6 month old hanging on his wall.

Its fathers day im celebrating my father not other peoples sons . His kids will celebrate him :walking_woman:t5::walking_woman:t5::walking_woman:t5::walking_woman:t5:

Yes. It shows your son that you still respect your ex as a father. And no matter the circumstances that 2 people can still coparent even though they are apart.

3 Likes

I agree with setting the right example for your son. It will show him to be kind to others even if they aren’t kind to us. Just because he didn’t buy you a gift doesn’t mean that you in return shouldn’t get him anything from your son.

1 Like

Get a basketball from five and below or Walmart. Get acrylic paint out your sons hand prints on it and if he can gage him paint happy Father’s Day. Homemade gifts are the best. Frame a pic of them two $1.50 frames at dollar tree and pic .46 at Walmart. Son can make him a card.

It’s your kid’s dad, not yours. Help your child buy or make something for their dad (if they are young enough to need help) and have it be from them. Even if he does nothing for you, it looks good to your son that you care about the fact that his dad is important to him. It’s an act of love towards your son, not your ex.

13 Likes

I will !!! Let your kid pick a card and a small gift, be the example

I get something for my son to give his Dad like a bigger gift and then I take him to the store and let him pick out what he wants him to have. Last year Dad got a video game so they could play together and a card and little trophy. This year he is 10 and he wanted to make him a card we got him a chair like he has been wanting and then I will still let him pick out something from the store. He always likes for him to have something that says #1 Dad or a trophy of some sort.

I take my daughter to get what she wants to get for him every year, she makes him something and we do something small. I don’t get Mother’s Day gifts, but I don’t expect them either…. She stays here most of the time…. He gets her often…but she’s normally with me so I feel like it’s important to her therefore it’s important to me. I know for a fact if she stayed with him he’d do the same! We also buy his wife Mother’s Day gifts because it’s important to her and we’re grateful for all she does! I’ve never understood the bitterness. Not saying you are at all, I have no idea the whole situation and it’s not for me to judge. I would do it because it’s important to your child.

3 Likes

I’m engaged and my sons dad has a new gf. He had my 3 year old son bring me flowers on Mother’s Day when he dropped him off. I helped my son make him a homemade picture that we painted and framed for him for Father’s Day Sunday. Neither are gifts from “us” we’re just helping our son do it for the other parent. I still would, even if he doesn’t for you, your child will still grow up remembering what you did with them and helped them do for someone else.

3 Likes

I say yes. It’s not about what’s happened between you two or how you feel. Be the bigger person for your kids sake. They see everything. And they learn from the examples that you set! I have a 9 year old step daughter. And her mom take her to buy gifts for Mother’s Day for me and Father’s Day for her dad! And I take my step daughter to buy or make Mother’s Day/ valentines/ birthday gifts for her mom! It means something to your kids despite how you feel about the other parent they feel proud to gift the people they love presents and are unable to do that without your help! Some of these comments are petty. Set good examples for your baby! It’s not from you! It’s from your kids!

1 Like

Allow/encourage your son to get him a gift. Your ex is not your father.

I wouldn’t, he isn’t your father. If your son is old enough have him make something for his father.

1 Like

I buy my ex husband father’s day, Christmas, birthday and usually a candy basket for Easter, from our kids. I’m remarried and he has a girlfriend. We co-parent really well and have remained friends (we’ve known eachother for 30 plus years and was married for almost 13). He doesn’t “do the same” for me, but it’s not about that. It’s about setting an example for ALL of my kids. To give and not expect anything in return other than a thank you.

5 Likes

Father’s Day and his birthday, if I have the money I take the kids out to pick something dad might like, or I’ll ask them if they like my idea, and go from there. He bought me a birthday present once in the 6/7 years of our divorce. We have a lot of beef, but if it wasn’t for him I wouldn’t have these kids. So I’m gonna give him credit for an awesome job well done.

2 Likes

I always feel like you’ll never regret being nice.

9 Likes

I’d just get my kid to make him something maybe. Or not. Haha

1 Like

If you aren’t friends like that, and he didn’t do that for you on Mother’s Day, then no. You could help your son pick something out, though, for his dad and stepdad. It’s fair and equal that way, and both dads are covered.

You are still his son’s mother he should have gotten something at least bought something for you son to give you. Yes buy him something be the bigger person and maybe gently remind him your still the mother of his child regardless

At the end of the day the gift is something for him to give his dad. I say yes. Be the bigger person :two_hearts:

1 Like

Yes . The art of giving is taught by the parents . You can have your child as they get older do a chore for the money they need for the gift . Take the child to the store and let them pick out the gift ( if old enough ) . Let them help wrap it . When they become adults , they will not forget this ! It is better to give than to receive .

Father’s Day is for YOUR Father, just like Mother’s Day is for YOUR Mother. We don’t buy for our significant others. That’s not what it’s all about. My husband don’t buy Mother’s Day for me. He buys for his Mother. As I do the same with my Parents. Give your child chores to earn money to buy HIS Father a Gift.

1 Like

it’s about the kids and what they are learning and so that being said be the bigger person and get him a gift from your children let them pick it out and when at check out hand them the money so they paying for it so “technically “ you didn’t get him anything

1 Like

I’ve taken my ex’s lead based off how he handles Mother’s Day. This year he helped her get me a card, so he’s getting a card. He’s also remarried and has another child so I’m sure he’ll be taken care of :woman_shrugging:t2:

Set the example for the child.

Dont give him a gift yourself just help your son get him a gift. If hes an involved dad, assuming

1 Like

Dont look at it as him vs you. Look at it as your child and his father. If in a perfect world you would want your child doing something for his father, then you help him do it even if yall don’t get along

3 Likes

Yes. Have your son pick something out or, if he’s still small, help him make something to give his dad.

1 Like

Yes you should and make it from your son.

1 Like

Well, it depends on your family dynamics. I am the parent who hasn’t remarried or entered a serious relationship since, so if I were to get a gift it may be interpreted the wrong way.

If your in good terms then yea

I always take my son to buy his dad a gift for every holiday. His dad doesn’t buy for me ever, I am not remarried and neither is he. But I just know how much my son wants to and he loves picking out his dads gifts :heart:

1 Like

He’s NOT your father

1 Like

Fold a peice of paper in half write happy Father’s Day on the front and let him decorate it . boom. Done. Don’t over think it .

Do they have a father’s day stall at his school

1 Like

Have your son make him a card or get him a card. If your son wants to get his dad a gift, have him select something small for him to give to his dad.

I usually have my son make/give his dad a card. I don’t see anything wrong with it… neither does my fiance.

You don’t buy him something from you, he ain’t your daddy……but buying something for your kid to give him is the right thing to do no matter married or not.

2 Likes

Yes, I take my daughter shopping for her dad every year, it’s from his child not you. Your child will remember that. He assumed your husband would do the mothers day now that you are married which is a valid assumption. I however get my ex husband stuff every year and he takes my child shopping for me and we both remarried. It’s from our children.

What’s best for my child. So I’d get him a gift. I’d give him a gift even if he was married. He gave me the child not my husband. The kid needs to see us being kind to each other. If he can’t do that that’s his problem, at least you’ll be being nice though.

Dont give him anything.If you feel you want to do it as a gift from your child to him let your child make him a card or something.By what he said to you about mothers day he doesn’t deserve sh*t honestly🤦‍♀️

1 Like

Be the bigger person and buy him a present from your kids That’s the right thing to do don’t lower yourself to his standards

2 Likes

If you got your mother’s Day gift I would say yes, but your son should definitely get him something.

Absolutely! He is your child’s Dad!

Me and my daughters dad aren’t together and he just told me he wants a wallet, that means to give the money to my daughter to get him one for Father’s Day​:rofl::rofl::rofl: but we are cool so I still help her with things for him like Father’s Day and birthdays

It’s your responsibility to teach your child to respect and honor his father. So give him the money to get one or teach him how to make one for Him to give.
It’s your ex’s responsibility to teach his child to respect and honor you as well. If he has given that responsibility to your new husband then this is a discussion for your ex to tell his son. There’s no reason why he should step aside unless he no longer wants to be a part of his child’s life. I think this is something to discuss with yours and his child as well as new husband.
Invite him to a cookout at your home. Tell him that your son is confused as well as you in this and it all need to be aired out.
My husband and I go to his ex’s to celebrate our children. Together all four of us have 5 children and 1 grandchild. It takes maturity on both ends to put the children first. God bless. There’s no reason why he can’t be a part of the family… if you get along. God bless.

3 Likes

I would have my son make his dad a card, IF he knows his bio dad and IF his bio dad is in his life.

I agree with your ex. You are not his mom. He is not obligated to get you a gift.

Have your “child” get him something small. Nothing wrong w being the bigger person.

2 Likes

If your son isn’t old enough to get the gift then yes.

1 Like

That’s your kids dad…… mine “get him” a gift, and I make sure they call. You shouldn’t do a good thing if you expect something in return, you do it because it’s right.

1 Like

No, he set the standard on Mother’s Day. My daughter would be hurt if he didn’t get her something to give me and wouldn’t want to give him anything.

1 Like

A small gift…but yes. Even a homemade one. It’s to show yr child the proper thing to do…regardless of what his dad decides to do. Maybe he will learn from the gesture as well.

2 Likes

You could take your child to pick out something small for him and a card. Or help him make something for him. But no don’t get him something from you.

5 Likes

Do what you feel is right no matter what others do and never expect a you from someone else :heart::heart::heart:

You could be the bigger person, and buy him something. so wont hurt you to take your son shopping and have him pick something out for his Dad…:+1:

5 Likes

NO,Give the child the money and let him buy something if he’s old enough. But No for you

2 Likes

You should take your son to purchase a gift for his dad from.

7 Likes

Parenting isn’t tit for tat. It’s teaching your child to be the best human they can be.

12 Likes

No! Get your child to make him a card!

3 Likes

I’d take your child to choose a gift. It’s for your child’s sake.

1 Like

Your baby daddy? Why not?.. if he deserves it of course u should.

1 Like

My sons father is remarried and has more kids with his wife. My son still likes to get his dad a gift from him. So I take him and let him pick out gifts for his dad. His dad gets me nothing for Mother’s Day and I’m not remarried, nor do I expect him to. I do what I feel is best for our son.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t buy him one. But I’d give y’alls kid some money and let him pick something out

3 Likes

Welllll… you both are right and both are wrong. I feel a gift is given in appreciation of who you each are in your kids life. If you feel he deserves a gift and it’s from your heart do it. He’s also wrong. Your the mother to his child his thanks is to YOU (mom) not your twat‼️

The child should pick out a gift for the parent and the opposite parent should pay for it in my opinion but you don’t owe him anything. Maybe your son wants to draw dad a picture that works just as well

1 Like

Help your son make something for him and if he is old enough take him to the store and have him pick something out, doesn’t have to be anything big. But it’s your job to teach your son to do the right thing, after all weather you and the dad are together or not he will always be your sons dad.

1 Like

Nope get your son to make something for his dad. Look up things online to make or just give him some money to buy something at the school stall for Father’s dad. Don’t go out of your way if he can’t return the same.
I wanted to do this for my kids dads but they have partners and find it weird so yaa and they wouldn’t do the same for me. The kids make stuff at school and home, and if they want to I give them a lil money to spend at the school stall.

I would let your child pick out a card 4 him.

Yes, let your child pick out a card and something for him. This is not about you and whether or not he got you something. It’s about your child giving their dad a gift on Father’s Day.

No, let your son pick out a gift and you pay for it. He is your sons father, not yours. Mothers day and fathers day are for kids to celebrate their parents or parental figures.

Yes let the kid pick a gift but u pay for it

I agree with him :woman_shrugging:t2: but since he isn’t remarried I’d still take our child and let them pick something out for their father

I bought my ex something “from the kids”… I get him something from them every holiday and birthday. His girlfriend gets him something from their kid.

My kids buy for their father - he is remarried but, we still do things for each other! He bought me a tree for Mother’s Day from our kids. My kids enjoy it so why not :heart:

1 Like

I don’t get my ex anything n we have 2 together :person_shrugging: